nice stay

Reviewed Wed 28th of January 2009

"Sofitel marrakech is a good compromise between modernity and morrocan authenticity
Staff are pleasant and helpfull
You can feel the french quality touch in the restaurant with cheese and good wine...
I recommand..."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of January 2009

very good hotel in very convenient location of Marrakech

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"The Hotel is an very convenient location, few kilometers from the Menara Airport and at walk distance from the Medina.
The room was confortable and very well equipped.
The swiming pool area is great for relaxation as well is the jacuzzi.
The personnel was efficient, kind and always very helpful also for organizing excursions out of the town.
It was a good choice for visiting Marrakech getting also some rest from the acting but very charming life of this beatiful town."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of February 2007

Not as good as you might expect

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"My partner and I stayed at the Sofitel for five nights over Christmas, and overall thought the experience was pretty average - with some definite good and bad elements.

The good bits:
* Check-in and initial welcome is great as you're immediately seated at a sofa and served mint tea while the receptionist checks you in - just the ticket after a long journey
* The pool is great - a very pleasant place to be and the gardens around the pool are lovely. The backdrop view is of the Atlas mountains, which tops it off!
* The location is pretty good - 15 minutes walk to the square (although a very noisy and dusty walk with the traffic - literally so in places), and 15 minutes to the 'new' town - which you shouldn't dismiss as there are some great restaurants outside the medina
* The concierge service - one of the best I've ever come across and they are such a useful source of information from restaurants to car hire to offering guidance prices for things you might want to buy/haggle for in the souk - really useful!
* The selection of freshly baked breads and pastries at breakfast - delicious!

The not so good:
* The rooms are dull and bog-standard - not up to the standard that you'd expect from a five star hotel. They really need to be freshened up
* The mini bar doesn't get stocked up unless you specifically ask - really frustrating and a simple thing not to get right
* Service standards at breakfast range from barely okay to completely poor. It shouldn't take ten minutes to order coffee, for it to arrive cold ten minutes later! - one of many examples of sloppy and slow service you can expect at breakfast. Half the staff wander around aimlessly doing their best not to catch anyone's eye
* Service at the poolside cafe: slightly more competent than the breakfast staff, but way too slow
* Lack of food choices in the evening in the hotel itself - only one restaurant serving a limited menu of traditional French food. However, there are a couple of decent restaurants only a couple of minutes walk away

I think if I was staying at the hotel for a conference I'd have been much happier than I was - it would be good for a conference. It lacks the atmosphere it really should have when tourists have the choice of staying in a riad instead. As it was very expensive, it ultimately felt like bad value for money. I don't mind paying a premium as long as I'm getting a premium product and service. Unfortunately, despite some good things about the place, it didn't deliver that.

Hope this helps."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of January 2007

awful service, avergae hotel

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"We stayed here for 2 days during Christmas. All I can say is “average” from the shampoo to the concierge service if not worse especially for the café. I don’t want to be unfair to staff since we’ve not been mistreated but the staff and the service was simply amateurish. The hotel definitely lacks the charm that you see at first sight. It would only serve the purpose if you are visiting Marrakech on a business trip and know where to go what to do etc.. to minimize the time spent in the hotel premises. Otherwise total waste of money."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of December 2006

Great Hotel

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"After spending two nights at my first hotel, i couldn't wait to make the trip over to the Sofitel. Its location from the main square is no more than a 15 minute walk, and it's appearance from the outside is just splendid.

Every thing about my visit was very positive. The front door was opened by a dorrman, and i was ushered onto sofa's where i was brought mint tea and biscuits. My details for check in were taken and filled in while i sat taking in the magnificent reception area. From there a porter was called and showed me to my room.

The room far exceeded my expectations, triple size bed, large balcony over looking lushious gardens, and every thing superbly clean. The room decor may be plain, but its in typical Moroccan style. The pool is probably the best part of this hotel. Spacious, clean and always serviced by a pool attendant. Towels are always available, and the staff very friendly.

Breakfast was nice, fried eggs and chicken sausages with a huge selection of fruits, pasteries, and cereals.

All in all, i found this hotel to be excellent value for money. I would highly reccomend it to any one that wants to stay in comfy surroundings at the end of a hard day taking in the sights or haggling down prices.

Would recomend a day trip to the Atlas mountains/Berber village. Cost 250 dirrahms per person, as well as a trip to the coast for around 300d.

Weather in Dec was 20 degree's during the day, and about 5 at night. I am extremely glad i didn't stay in the Medina, as the noise is far too much and goes on way into the night. Taxis are always available outside the hotel (if needed), the more expensive ones being Merc's and the cheaper ones the old Fiat's.

If its your first time to Marrakesh, its very hard to get a true price of a cab to town as they have a take it or leave it attitude. Just know that any thing more than 150d is way too much at any time of day (they did try using the "one price for the day and one for the night " routine on me) A cab back to the Airport only cost me 80 d, which i would consider very reasonable."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of December 2006

Great time

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Regardless of some of the more negative comments we found on this site before visiting this hotel, our experience was very positive. The staff were attentive, the rooms although typical of standard international class business rooms, were clean and comfortable. We perhaps did expect something a bit more special in room decor, but although plain, more than adequate and all public areas were very well appointed/attractively done. The pool area was very quiet during our stay with lots of loungers, towels and good waiter service. The hotel itself was expensive for food especially in comparison to surrounding restaurants, we found the Comptoir Restaurant (just a short walk away) very good/laid back. All in all a better expeience than we expected and would definitely recommend. We stayed at the end of November so perhaps a quiter peiod and as a result better service. Our original thought had been to stay in the Medina but we appreciated this hotel's location when we were there as taxis were outside at all times and were very cheap. It also took you away from the bustle when you wanted some chill out time."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of December 2006

Terrible Service and Noisy Rooms

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"The entrance and public rooms are splendid, and check-in is very quick and easy, including the omnipresent mint tea. That's where the service ends. After being given our keys the receptionist asked if we had luggage and when we said yes, in the car park, she walked away. We presumed it was to get a porter, but no one ever appeared. After wandering around looking for the elevators and our room, we finally had to ask at the cashier's desk how to find our room. When we got there, it was hotter than hell and even after running the air conditioner for an hour it didn't cool down. In fact, the air outside was cooler than the air in the room. After dragging our luggage from the parking lot up the stairs to the lobby a porter arrived to offer his assistance -- after all the lugging and dragging had already been done! The lack of service was downright comical. And the air conditioner never worked. And the room (room 468)overlooked a highway where loud diesel traffic was racing by at all hours of the day and night, making it nearly impossible to fall asleep. Then, to add insult to injury, at checkout we were told that the room was covered by the charge to my credit card, but not the room tax, which needed to be paid in cash. Since it was our last night in Morocco we had not budgeted for this surprise. Basically, the service is atrocious and the hotel is a longish (and unpleasant at night) walk to the medina. Once La Mamounia completes it's renovations, we suspect that the Sofitel will no longer be able to rest on its laurels and treat its customers as poorly as it currently does."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of November 2006

not sure a bout the hotel

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"Sofitel Marrakech

Booked a holiday to Morocco staying at the Sofitel Marrakech for 7 nights.. As the title suggests the jury is out regarding this hotel for me.
The transfer from the airport was trouble free and there are plenty of ATM’s in order to get currency.

We arrived at the hotel at 1130 only to be told that the room would not be ready until 1530hrs, which was a pain. The room we were given overlooked a building site complete with workers staring in. The room was fairly dire in that there were cigarette burns on the carpet and dubious stains on the bed linen (covers) We politely asked to move but was advised that it was not possible. The evening didn’t improve, we had room service and the staff member demanded a tip and to cap it all he only brought one set of cutlery. We didn’t get much sleep as there was a evening convention/party across the way from us.

If the first day was a bit of a let down day 3 was a test of nerve. Our safe with our money/cards etc malfunctioned and couldn’t be opened. Staff were not that concerned and we had to wait to the following day so that our valuables particularly our money was free and we could go out. The same thing happened on day 4 at which point we generally wanted to go home.

When our tour representative herd of our difficulties she arranged for a change of room via the concierge who was very helpful The room was far better and faced the back of the hotel, generally it felt clean and a higher standard I suspect the first room we got tended to be used for tour groups.

Generally speaking the communal areas of the hotel are without question 5 star standard, but the rooms and service are well below standard. Breakfast was amusing as you had to beg for coffee and staff would generally ignore you.

Im aware that I may sound a combination of high maintenance/grumpy old woman but im generally a fairly chilled out person, I just felt that I paid a lot of money for a 5 star hotel and received appalling service.

As for Marrakech proper, its everything I thought it would be, vibrant, noisy, diverse and full of character.
We made full use of the taxi service which was very cheap. From the hotel you should pay no more than 30 d single fare to go to to Djemaa el -fina. It is here where you gain access the souq’s. We went during the day and got very lost, so heaven knows where we would have ended up during nightfall. That said and done we often went into the square proper at night and tried eating at one of the many stalls selling food. It was a little like tapas as in many dishes, but all the food looked and thankfully tasted very fresh all of which was very cheap.

We went on the tourist bus which was handy as you could hop on and off at your whim. The ticket lasted 24hrs and cost 120 D
In ville nouvelle (new city) tried la Trattoria serving Italian cuisine. You walk through iron gates into a converted mansion and have the option of sitting in or outside, outside there is a lovely pool setting. A meal for 2 came to about 50 pounds.

Another restaurant within the Medina is Dar Marjana which is in a converted Riad which again is in a beautiful setting. A nice touch on the way out is that you are escorted down an alley way by persons carrying lanterns.

Consider going on a day trip to Essauria which on a coach is 3 hours each way. I have to say I would have preferred to stay here than Marrakech. it’s a smaller affair but plenty going on including a beach if that what you want. People are less in your face and its 10 times cheaper than Marrakech. There are some wonderful seafood restaurants along the harbour at reasonable prices.
Marrakech museum again is worth a visit, it has a nice little terrace café which a welcome relief from the hustle and bustle of the medina.

Any way, I apologise for my somewhat disjointed review, but hope it assists in some way.
Would I go back to Morocco? Yes I would probably to Essauria on a short break or a tour of the country. But I wouldn’t go back to Sofitel there are so may other places (cheaper that offered clean rooms and good service.

Lisa"

• Travel date: Mon 13th of November 2006

Underwhelmed

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"We chose Sofitel based on a previous great experience in Mauritius, but this hotel was dreadful. There were so many complaints that we did get upgraded after we took our list to the duty manager. The main problems were lack of service and lack of staff, we never once found a clear table to sit at at breakfast and to get one cleared was an immense effort........then there was no food, no plates, etc etc. The staff themselves were visibly overworked - there were just not enough of them. Same for the pool area - no beds "just sit on the grass" was the comment. Empty sunbeds with magazines on were infuriating! Pool freezing. It could be a good hotel (though it's looking rather "tired"......time for a renovation) but they are overwhelmed by the amount of guests and the restaurant, pool area and number of staff are grossly inadequate.

If you go, don't choose school holidays!"

• Travel date: Mon 13th of November 2006

deluxe hotel

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"Have just returned from 4 nights at Sofitel. We were very impressed with the check in-very quick , with complimentary mint tea. Somehow we were upgraded to 2 suites which was a pleasant surprise. The suites were very well furnished and very spacious-plenty of toiletries, chocolates with the turn down service-spotlessly clean.
The public areas are well kept and very spacious. The pool was never crowded but unfortunately lots of people reserved loungers without using them for ages, so people who were there had to use the lawn area.
The consierge is very helpful and informative with good sense of humour.
The Spa was so relaxing and the hammam was worth a visit. Would recommend the black soap rub.
The only complaint-we were not the only ones-was the appalling service at breakfast. The food was very good and the chef makes a great omelette. However, we had to lay our own tables most mornings and hunt for plates. There were plenty of staff but they obviously lacked leadership. Plates and dishes were very scarce _almost as if they could not wash them up quick enough.
We ordered an early breakfast in our room on the last day and had brilliant service.
We would recommend this hotel and will return but will probably stick to room service.
Strangely enough this is the only hotel which did not provide a comments form."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of October 2006

Stunning hotel would return tomorrow

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"I really didn’t know what to expect prior to our visit to Marrakech but it exceeding all my expectations. My in laws booked it so thank you for a great holiday!
The check in was as described in other reviews very smooth and relaxing just what is needed after any flight. It’s worth getting the Sofitel Privilege card (request form their web site) present this at time of check in.
We asked to change rooms after the first night of 1 weeks stay, which was no problem at all. We were on the 2nd floor close to the restaurant and it was quite noisy. Our second room was great 4th floor over looking the pool with a beautiful view to the mosque.
The bar at the hotel was a bit pricey, we preferred the HH hotel bar across the road. We only eat in the hotel restaurant one evening which was the most we paid for an evening meal the whole week and the poorest in comparison. Breakfast was great. Places to eat - we would recommend the Le Comptoir Restaurant and the Red Room, both a short walk for the hotel and gave fantastic service and wonderful food around £25 pound per head. If you like clubbing we went to VIP good night but didn’t get busy until about 2am.
On our first day we took a guide that was waiting outside the hotel gate up on his offer to guide us around the souk this turned out to be a good idea as on the first day we would have got completely lost. Make sure that he understands your agreed price clearly before hand as his price doubled at the end of the tour (still only worked out at about £5 per person best part of 4 hours). He will take you to all his friends shops and stalls, if he takes you to see how carpets are made he disappears and it turns out to be a sales pitch so tell him clearly at the start of the tour if you aren’t interested in purchasing anything.
Pool was great, when you could get a bed, it was annoying when people left their towels and went off for hours. We returned from a morning out to no spare beds and had to lay on the grass.
They were filming around the corner, Actors Tom Hanks and Ken Scott (Messiah, Rebus) was staying at the hotel and Julia Roberts was arriving the day we were leaving!
All in all we would go back tomorrow we loved it. Any question? I’m happy for you to contact me."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of October 2006