About Riad Slawi

• bathrobes

Good

Great Riad in Marrakesh

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"We loved this Riad the moment we stepped in the door. Beautifully decorated with fabrics, colors, bed linens. The rooms are beautiful. Adam is a super host helping us get from the taxi to the Riad, then to the Market place. He also helped us return, breakfast is great.....can't say enough for our stay here. We only wished we had another night to visit the area and enjoy the Riad. It was great to talk with him about the area, places to eat and life in Morocco."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of March 2009

Hospitality at its best

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"My girlfriend and I visited Marrakesh for a 4 day weekend and found our stay at Riad Slawi unforgettable. The owner, Adam, was a very welcoming host and good friend and we are lucky that we had him to help advise us on where we could go and what we could do. This was especially so with the steep learning curve as we got used to the hussle and bussle of the souks (shopping area) and main square. If you want a truly moroccon experience, with a well travelled host who knows where you are coming from, I would recommend this Riad."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of March 2009

An oasis of peace - 5 stars don't do justice

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"I came here with my 7 year-old son. I sensed I'd made a good choice when I emailed a query and received an immediate reply that was welcoming, informative and in perfect English.

The key is the hospitality you receive from the warm and affable young manager Adam (a Canadian-Moroccan which explains the English) and his family. For us, it started with that first clang of the door-knocker and Adam's broad smile as he welcomed us off the bare-walled, narrow alley into a small and beautiful courtyard.

You're shown your room, then offered fresh mint tea in the courtyard. There are only 4, which means you get more personal treatment than you would in a larger establishment. My son and I stayed in both the Safae room and the Saba Suite during the stay - ie the cheapest and most expensive rooms. Both are spotlessly clean and the decor tasteful and restrained. I particularly loved the beds - a bit of give but not too hard and with the most beautifully patterned, silk and velvet blankets. Lit by enchanting lantern, I can think of no more seductive place to cuddle up with your partner. But that's for another time - this was my son's holiday!

All I'll say is that for the extra you pay, I would go for the suite (or perhaps one of the other two rooms) over the Safae room because, apart from having more space, they're on the first floor and so there's even more privacy and quiet, plus you get to look down on the sun-streamed courtyard from the balcony and appreciate just how beautiful the place is as you survey the riad - check out the detail in the woodwork on the doors, shutters, balustrades (if you click on the photo for the Kaws room on their website, you'll get an idea of what I mean).

And then you go down for breakfast. The freshly cut orange jams, squeezed juice and homemade pancakes and cookies come as a delight. But the most wonderful surprise is that the breakfast is never quite the same each day. We also had an evening meal on our last day. Adam went to the market in the morning and bought all the ingredients for his mother to prepare a 3-course meal, with the main course a succulent lamb tagine and lemon chicken. Well worth it for the price (start at EUR 20 for dinner).

I could go on. I haven't mentioned the price – we booked via a third party website and got the Safae room for a bargain EUR 55 a night – or the distance: 15 minutes walk from Jemaa El Fna. Not far and nice to see the medina beyond the souks as lived by the locals. Alternatively, it's a couple of minutes walk to Sidi Ben Slimane, a junction from which you can get a taxi (daytime rate = 10 dirham to Jemaa el Fna).

As you walk there, you'll pass the local hamann. Basic, as you'd expect at the price, but it has all the steam you could want at a paltry 10 dirhams (adults)/5 dirhams (children). Ask Adam and he'll sort you out with a personal helper who'll give you a thorough wash and rubdown (50 dirhams in hand before you leave and he'll be happy). You'll then pass Dar Zellij, a well rated restaurant - check it out on tripadvisor - but I was quite happy with food stalls and the riad's cooking so couldn't comment further.

So, what can I say in short after such a long review? Well, a fantastic riad on all levels made all the more special by the family that runs it – the only place I’d ever stay (or my son would ever let me stay!) in Marrakesh."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of March 2009

Truly Amazing!

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"We stayed at Riad Slawi after reading good reviews and checking out their own website. The photos on their site did not prepare us for how beautiful a place this really is. Immaculately clean, spacious and very tastefully decorated, this Riad was great to escape from the bustle and noise that is Marrakech!
Adam and his father Mustafa made our trip so special with help and advice about the area, their attention to detail and the lovely food! They also arranged transport to the Atlas mountains and our airport taxi.
The Riad is approx 15mins walk from the main square but we would recommend it to anyone who wants a very quiet nights sleep. We stayed for 6 nights and hope to return!"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of March 2009

peaceful friendly cosy beautiful

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"I stayed here in December. Adam who is running the riad with his Dad was a wonderful host and I'd encourage people to go to this particuliar riad. I'm sure there are many which are larger, fancier, but this place was a perfect peaceful heaven from the madness of the Median outside its walls. Just stepping inside the door, meeting Adam's smiling face, and treated to cookies and coffee or tea, I immediatly relaxed. The room and bathroom were beautiful, such lovely details, everywhere. That night it rained, and the sound of the rain trickling into the centre of the square was soothing in the extreme. In the morning Adam's father made the loveliest of breakfasts, homemade pancakes, honey and orange buttery thing, so yumee. Stay here, it's good for your soul. And it's withing spitting distance of Dar Zellig, a restaurant with an orange grove inside, and the most delicious food I've eaten in ages, on a global scale, this restaurant is up there with the best."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of February 2009

Beautiful, colourful, affordable riad

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Had a wonderful stay at Riad Slawi in Feb 2009. The family-run riad is beautifully & brightly decorated with gorgeous attention to detail - our room was stunningly styled with silk and velvet patchwork fabrics, traditional woodwork and lights, and had a beautiful domed ceiling inset with coloured glass in the bathroom. It was also very peaceful as it overlooks the central riad courtyard rather than the street. The riad is located in the atmospheric but very complicated alleys of the old town, about 15-20 min walk from the main square Djemaa el Fna - happily it is signposted from the nearest square/parking area. Adam, the friendly and eager manager, walks guests to Djemaa el Fna on their first day to help them get their bearings, speaks excellent English (as well as French, Arabic and a bit of Spanish) and was generally very helpful. When we explained we wanted to go on a daytrip but were on a budget, he helped arrange our trip and was careful to give us a range of different price options, including advising us how to get local buses if we wanted to. A 'Moroccan continental' style breakfast was served in the beautiful riad courtyard and we had something slightly different every day - a simple but tasty assortment of breads, pastries and pancakes, which was really nice! Our only gripe really was there wasn't always a lot of hot water - not enough to totally fill the stunning bath, which was fit for a sultan! - but for a taste of luxurious riad living on a budget, we absolutely loved Riad Slawi."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of February 2009

Such a nice welcome!

Good
Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Riad Slawi was a good choice for us in Marrakech. Adam was so kind to recommend a great restaurant to ring in the New Year and was so helpful with whatever we needed. The riad itself is beautiful and very nicely renovated. Breakfast was delicious and there was always plenty of tea! The riad is a bit of a walk back into the medina streets from any parking or taxi so that is a consideration you may need to make, but we were fine with it once we figured out the route! All in all a good home base for exploring Marrkech."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of January 2009

hidden gem

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"this is a great place to stay in Marrakech, hidden away in the north side of the Medina - hard to find so make sure you let them know you're coming and come and get you or you'll probably get lost the first time! Very nice rooms, hot water, beautiful courtyard and roof sitting area with view and excellent morocco style breakfast with bread, pancakes, coffee and fresh orange juice. Best thing was the service by the owner and son, totally friendly and ever helpful with tips about marrakech itself and our journey into the Atlas mountains. highly recommended."

• Travel date: Wed 14th of January 2009

Great experience

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"We stayed at the Riad Slawi for one night, we were lucky to have gotten a cancelation on 30 December 2008. The Riad owners are a hard-working and cheerful father and son team. Adam Zniber, the son, is a very accommodating young man . Following check-in he made us tea/coffee, walked us to the souk and provided us with a lot of local knowledge along the way. He booked dinner for us at Dar Zellig an excellent nearby restaurant. They accepted payment in Euro. The style is traditional with a modern twist.

The Riad is spotless, the rooms are spacious, the breakfast is excellent and I cannot say enough about the proprietors."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of January 2009

An unforgettable experience

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"Riad Slawi is Marralech's best kept secret. It's a little out there, maybe a 15 minute walk from the souks but definitely worth it. The riad is absolutely beautiful and the room was kept nice and clean. There is an open roof terrace which lets the sun shine into the riad and you can hear the birds chirping even from your room. A delicious Moroccan-style breakfast is provided as well.

The best part about staying here was the staff. This riad is run by a father and son. They were above and beyond helpful. They helped us with any questions we had about the city and when we asked how to get somewhere, instead of giving us a map and giving us the boot, they acutally walked us to where we needed to go and saved us from hours of being lost in the zigzagging streets of Marrakech.

I loved this riad and if I ever go back to Marrakech I will definitely stay at Riad Slawi again.

I found a really great deal for 55 euros a night on hotelclub.com. We stayed in the Menara room. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was beautiful."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of January 2009