Patio by night

bad customer service

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We were very disappointed when we stayed at this hotel as we received the worst customer service in Morocco. NO HOT WATER and RUDE MANAGER I definitely not going there again!"

• Travel date: 16th February 2008

style over substance

Reviewed 18th October 2012

"We were attracted to Riad o2 as it looked absolutely stunning in the pictures we saw online. In reality the service we received was very poor indeed. In general the staff were mostly friendly and Rashida the cook made us some very nice home made meals...However... the whole ten days we stayed there our sheets and towels were not changed once, something i consider to be a basic standard in a guest house. On the second day, our en suite wet room flooded while i was in the shower and flooded our entire bedroom- I was told it was my fault as there was a huge chunk of hair blocking the drain (which i was showed as if it were evidence- disgusting)- i had only washed my hair once! We had been led to believe by the owners that the managers spoke english, but our repeated attempts to request bottled water went unheeded for so long that we just went to the shop at the end of the road and bought our own stash. Again, you'd think having drinking water in a guest house would be a priority, but apparently not at Riad O2... To top it off, a few days before we were to leave the manager (fatiha?) demanded that we pay the full balance that we owed (though it had previously been agreed that this would be paid at the end of our stay, having paid a 50% deposit). When we told her we had no cash on us the atmosphere became quite frosty and she sent us to a cash point (delaying our evening plans) as "they had no money so how can they make dinner", an attitude we found utterly disgraceful. I would never stay here again and would recommend that Riad O2 is best avoided."

• Travel date: 13th February 2008

Lovely decor and great staff

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"We had such a lovely stay at Riad O2 that we will definitely go back again next year! Our room was beautifull and the bed very confortable. All the staff took care so much of us and our kids that we did not want to leave (special thanks to Fatiha and Hassan who were realy great hosts). The food was stuning (the best we had in Marrakech) and we spent hours in the lovely and warm Jacuzzi..... We higly recommend this Riad Trina & Jeff"

• Travel date: 7th January 2008

Too difficult to get to from the main square

Reviewed 1st November 2012

". We felt that the owner could have been more helpful and did not provide any extra information on activities above a few basis maps and alternative accommodation when we realised that we could not stay an extra night. Be aware that it is located quite a distance from the Djemas el Fna ( the main square ) and is very difficult to find, particularly late at night and you will be approached by childeren offering to guide you, for a price and they are not that easily put off. Taxis will take you to a parking area near the riad, but from there you will have to run the gauntlet. Overall we liked the room , inside the riad was tranquil and the breakfast was good. I think it is rather overpriced and would recommend getting a riad or even an hotel near the centre."

• Travel date: 11th November 2007

Dreadful service, rude owner, Don't Go There!

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"Got off to a bad start when the taxi we booked through the hotel to meet us at the airport didn't show up. Although when we got a normal taxi we found that it was 2/3rds the price they were going to charge. Initial impression was that Riad O2 was charming, although the plunge pool needed a bit of a clean - scum on the water - but it didn't seem to bother our children. Closer inspection revealed it had been built 'on the cheap' with plug sockets hanging dangerously from the walls and peeling paint. One day there was not enough water for all of us to shower - I missed out being fourth up. I complained but received nothing other than a shrug. That same day, while sitting on the roof terrace, without warning some workmen arrived and started digging it up. This spoiled the sunbathing afternoon planned. There was a water leak in the hotel and they tried to fix it. Obviously they didn't fix it as at 7.30 the next morning we were woken by workmen in the riad, dismantling one of the rooms. No apology was offered. I went to see the owner who did offer to put us up in another riad as some other guests (closer to the noise) had complained and were going elsewhere. I asked how long the noise would be going on for. She said until 5pm that day. Since we planned to be out all day anyway, it didn't seem to matter, so I said we'd stay put. Mistake. The next morning, at 7.30am, without warning the workmen started again. She hadn't bothered to tell us or apologise. So after an uncomfortable breakfast I took up her offer of alternative accommodation. She refused to refund my money for the 2 rooms we had booked and paid for in advance and insisted all she would do was put us in another riad. She wouldn't even arrange for our bags to be taken there. As it turned out, the alternative was much better, finished to a higher standard. It was brand new and had no name yet, so I can't plug it! In summary, Riad O2 over-sells itself on it's website. It's finish is not as glossy as the imagery portrays, the water system is clearly dodgy (see other reports) and the owner is unhelpful and unpleasant. This is in TOTAL CONTRAST to everyone else we met in Marrakech, who were jolly, fun, helpful and warm. If you've read this far, DO go to Marrakech, it's fantastic but DON'T go to Riad O2."

• Travel date: 16th April 2007

Lovely stay, recommended

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed for 4 nights at Riad O2 at the beginning of March and had a lovely stay. On arrival, it seems a little scary when approaching the Riad as it's situated in a small dark alleyway, but once inside it is just like the pictures on the website, but does seem a little smaller. We also found our bearings after 1 day and were able to find it pretty easily after that. The riad is situated away from the main tourist areas so it's great to see the local life, and we found people very friendly nearby and the little shop around the corner was very cheap for water, and drinks etc. It can be a little dauting when walking back at night as there are older kids hanging around, but they are actually friendly and helpful if you're lost! We stayed in 1001 Nights Suite which was very comfy and cool. As the previous review stated, don't expect 5 star, it is quite basic but looks lovely. The roof terrace is lovely, both in the day and on an evening. The riad is french speaking, Fatiha does speak little English, enough to get by anyway. A good tip is to learn a few basic arabic phrases/words - people really appreciate that you've learnt it and you get a very good response. Their taxi driver Aziz was also really nice and gave us a lot of recomendations where to go."

• Travel date: 9th March 2007

Perfectly fine

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We read the review left by Looseal the day before departing for Marrakech and notwithstanding the other two favourable reviews, we were quite worried. However, there was no need to be. Although Riad 02 is not central, it is only about a 10-15 minute walk to the square (via the souks, so you may linger!). We had some trouble finding our way back at night, but with young children we tended to get a taxi most of the way. Riad 02 was recommended to us as it has not got a large pool, for clumsy children to fall in. The Riad is not opulent, but as long as you are not expecting 5* accomodation, it is fine. We had 'Room of a 1001 Nights', which is a little bigger than some of the others. It looks lovely at night, when the candles are lit and on our last night we had a meal there, which was lovely. There is a nice roof terrace, where we spent some time reading and winding down after a day trip to Ourika. The breakfast is very good, perfect for the kids with loads of pancakes, bread, crepes and jam, honey, marmalade. There was certainly hot water during our stay and fatiha, the on-site manager was attentive when we needed advice. I would say that if she is not there, you may have problems if you do not speak French. The two house maids do not speak any English, although with our school French and sign lamguage, we were able to get by. I would recommend you stay in a Riad and not a faceless hotel and Riad 02 is a good choice at a reasonable cost."

• Travel date: 24th February 2007

No hot water and very angry staff.

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"I am suprised at the other reviews on this Riad, maybe they have picked their game up since we stayed there. We booked the Riad because it looked lovely on the internet and visually it was great. Realistically it wasn't very good, it was not cheap and defiantely overpriced for the service we received. We did not have any hot water for 3 days which was communicated to the management in pidgeon english. They told us that it would be fixed, it never was. Breakfast was not bad, but the room was never cleaned while we were they either, the first day we left wet towels on the floor to come back and find them still there. We soon learnt our lesson! Overall this hotel looks beautiful but lacks substance, this was particularly apparent that when we tried to ask for a discount as we did not have any hot water, they got extremely rude, and slammed the door behind us as we left! Great service!"

• Travel date: 6th February 2007

Bright and crisp!

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"I stayed in this Riad for 3 nights on a week away with my mother. I asked for the Riad taxi to collect us from the airport and the driver was waiting when we arrived. I don't think he was their regular driver as he struggled to find the place, but we eventually located it behind what seemed like a random door down a dark alley! The Riad is located slightly North of the main tourist areas and I certainly felt we saw more of the local life than we would have else where. It took us a few attempts to get used to finding the Riad again first time! On arrival we were greated with lovely mint tea and petit fors in the quiet courtyard. Our room was clean and modern in appearance with an en-suite bathroom/wet room. My only complaint would be that the toilet was located in a tiny cupboard and it was very difficult to sit down and have the door closed! I had also asked for 2 single beds, but these had not been separated from their other role as a king bed. The Riad had a nice roof terrace where you could take breakfast in the morning (and I would assume dinner in the warmer months). The cook made us fantastic breakfasts every morning and on the one occasion we ate there in the evening, it was one of the best meals we had in Morroco. We generally found the hotel staff very friendly and helpful. We occasionally saw the management who kindly booked us tables for dinner at various eating establishments. Our French is not brilliant, so we did struggle with communication, but we got there in the end! I would recommend this Riad as a bright and cheerful place to stay, which is good value for money."

• Travel date: 9th January 2007

A refuge from the madness

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"Arriving at Riad O2 involves negotiating your way through a maze of alleyways. It can be tricky the first few times but on arrival, you are rewarded by a warm welcome in a haven from the madness that is Marrakech. We stayed in 2 rooms - Chewing Gum & Oeuf, and both were minimilistically but stylishly decorated with fresh red roses present on arrival. Breakfasts were pleasant - taken in the courtyard - and they do a truly delicious dinner, cooked by Rashida, on request. The hostess Fatiha is friendly and obliging arranging anything from massages to restaurant reservations. We travelled outside of Marrakech and on 2 occasions were able to leave excess luggage at the Riad and were greeted with friendliness and orange juice on the roof terrace on return. A lovely experience which we would definitely recommend."

• Travel date: 27th November 2006