Sanctuary

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We both felt so privilaged to be guests here. Nothing was ever too much trouble for Mohamed, Zoara and team!
We breakfasted on the roof terrace looking out over the Atlas mountains!......We'd come and go as we pleased....could always be assured of helpful advice.onward travel etc. etc.
A beautifully calm sanctuary when the city gets....too much!
Our room was splendid, with a bathroom to match and of course faultless plumbing ...and hot!
You have to go !"

• Travel date: Thu 15th of January 2009

Idyllic Riad Mur Akush

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Have just returned from a wonderful holiday in MOrocco. We started with a 3 night stay at Riad Mur Akush. This was recommended to me via a TA forum and was absolutely perfect for us. Mohamed the manager is so helpful and we had good, clear e mail communication making the booking extremely straightforward. He arranged our transfer from the airport and also booked some activities for us in advance. He is charming and made my whole family so welcome. The other staff are also very helpful and they all make you feel as if the Riad is your own home. We stayed in Suite Amel - stunning and my parents had a 2 nd floor room which was also beautiful. The roof terrace is a lovely, relaxing spot and we were lucky enogh to have breakfast up there each morning even though it meant that the staff had to carry it all the way up there. The breakfast was great. We didn't have an evening meal there but saw another family eating there and the food looked great. All in all I would thoroughly recommend this riad."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of January 2009

Beautiful Riad, Great Stay!!

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"This is a beautiful riad and we had a wonderful stay here and felt thoroughly looked after. We were met at the airport and taken to the Riad where we had mint tea in the courtyard. The staff were all very friendly and went out of their way to make sure we had a great time. I must thank Mohammed inparticular as despite his wife having a baby the week we were there he still organised a trip to a hammam for us, and on my birthday cooked us a lovely meal in the courtyard on open fires, and even got me a chocolate cake, I felt thoroughly spoilt!!. After a busy day site seeing and looking round the souks it was lovely to return home, where the fires would be on and the candles would be lighting the courtyard and stairwells and morrocan music was softly playing , all in all it created a lovely ambience. The rooms were really nicely decorated and were of a good size and I thought the rose petals on the towels of a morning were a particularly nice touch. There are only 5 rooms within the riad and so it is quiet and because of the number of terraces (from which you can see the Atlas mountains) you can find space to be on your own or mingle with other guests. I couldnt find fault with our stay and would thoroughly recommend this Riad to anyone."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of December 2008

Riad with a difference!

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We booked after reading the reviews, and they could no be more right. Maria (owner) arranged for an airport pick-up and also surprised us with a bottle of wine in our room; she also upgraded us to the suite, as a present. And this was just the beginning: the staff (Mohammed, Zora, etc) were incredibly helpful and attentive. We discussed regional trips, got tips and advice for things to see and do, and the endless flow of mint tea (Moroccan whiskey) was very much appreciated. Also, we strongly recommend at least one dinner at the riad: the couscous is out of this world!! So we stayed in the Suite Amel, with an incredible bed (very hard, just the way we like it), huge bathroom, and a fireplace in the living room by which we spent most evenings... The riad is steps away from the main N-S artery of the souk, and it has in close proximity everything you need from tourist shops to fishmongers and fruit vendors, and everything in between. Best location, best staff, best accommodations, and best breakfast in the Medina by far. (PS: my 2nd time in Marrakech; my wife's first - we'll be coming back here for sure!)"

• Travel date: Sun 14th of December 2008

Marrakech Magic

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"First time to Marrakech, which was made all the more enjoyable by our stay at this Riad.
The staff made us very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. Mohammed (the manager) even arranged a trip for us out to the mountains and a taxi back to the airport.
We stayed in the smallest room (Salam), which was plenty big enough for the two of us and good value for money.
On our last night we had a meal at the Riad and this is highly recommended. Breakfast on the terrace was also excellent.
Without hesitation we would recommend the Riad to our family and friends.
R&K"

• Travel date: Wed 10th of December 2008

An oasis of charm

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"My wife and I chose Riad Mur Akush never having been to Marrakech before and without any real idea what to expect.
What we found was a warm and welcoming Riad in a very convenient location within the Medina.
The staff at the Riad could not have been more helpful and we were made to feel entirely at home from the first cup of mint tea as we arrived from the airport.
The Riad has been refurbished recently and has a wonderful blend of traditonal features and modern comfort.
The breakfasts at the Riad set us up nicely for a days exploring the souks and with helpful advice from Mohammed (the manager) the whole experience was made so easy and enjoyable.
We would without hesitation return and recommend it to family and friends.
I think we have found our own oasis of charm. Go and give it a try!"

• Travel date: Wed 10th of December 2008

Great Riad, great people - loved it!!

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"My wife and I stayed at Riad Mur Akush for a few days with our little girl at the beginning of October. I had not been to Marrakech or stayed in a riad before and I have to say that I did not know what to expect. A friend of a friend had recommended this riad, it was well priced and looked good with good reviews, so we booked it. What a great place it was! The riad provided a cot for our daughter for free which was a big relief but best of all, they were great with her. The staff (a couple of them spoke good English) made us feel very welcome and went out of their way to ensure that we had everything we needed. The riad itself is very beautiful, we loved the patio with the water feature - especially in the evening, having the last tea of the day - and our room was magnificent! We had dinner at the riad one night and they made a special “child friendly” meal for my daughter – (she had pasta!!). She loved it after all the tagine and cous-cous she had the days before, which can taste a bit strange to little kids.
Marrakech is a great place to go as a family and the local people are very good with children. I would go back again (just to experience a good hammam, which we did not do this time) and will definitely stay in Riad Mur riad again (my wife has her eye on their Suite for our romantic getaway!! ;-). I really cannot fault it: the riad, the staff, even the airport collection car was first rate, a large people carrier, new and air-conditioned!!! Many thanks to all the people there, they really made the difference to our little break."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of October 2008

An amazing experience...

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We have just spent a week in Marrakech at the Riad Mur Akush. Our stay was really pleasant - picked up at the airport by taxi arranged by the Riad staff. Our driver stopped off on the way so we could change our money - very helpful and good introduction to Marrakech - which is a complete culture shock (a good one!!)
Riad is in a great location - situated down a quiet street (once inside you completely forget about the hustle and bustle outside - 10 mins walk to Jemaa El Fna - where there areouks, restuarants, and lots of activity - a great experience when the sun has gone down (but don't take lots of bags/money etc). Our room was clean, comfortable and authentic - staff very friendly - spoken english limited - although we got by perfectly with franglais!! Served mint tea and breakfast on the roof terrace every morning - fresh orange juice and pastries - delicious. Would definitely recommend a day in the Atlas mountains - the riad staff organised a guide - 900dhms (app.£60) for the whole day out - great value. Stopped to see some incredible views and drove through Berber villages - great photo opportunities.

Overall - we had a fantastic experience in Marrakech - our advice would be to get lost in the souks, stick to the Time Out Guide for eating out, have a day in the mountains, soak up the sunshine and culture and always have some spare change in your pocket for the local 'guides'!! Riad Mur Akush made our stay all the more enjoyable and we have no hesitation in recommending it."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of April 2008

Can't Wait to Go Back!

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"We are back from a week in Riad Mur Akush and we had such a great time there. We had booked a taxi transef with the riad, which was a great idea as the English speaking (!) taxi driver waited for us (we were delayed), picked us up, drove us there and walked us to the door of the riad with no hassle at all. This must be one of the easiest riads to find very close to the road and we never got lost once! To go to Jemma El Fna we just followed one straight road and this was it! Easy!

The riad itself is really nicely done and with some great spaces. We loved the seating room with the fireplace on the top floor and my favourite place were the low seats on the top terrace; they was perfect for a drink after we returned from the souks, around 6-7pm, because it was still light and had a nice view of the medina the Koutoubia and the Atlas mountains....
Our room was a lovely surprise for the money we paid. We stayed in Yassine and it was a really spacious room, very pleasant with plenty of space for all our gear, a sofa and a massive bathroom. It was very clean, they changed our towels everyday, we had fresh flowers, it felt like they really took care of us. The staff in the riad were indeed very good. Zohra, the maid, even took my wife to the hammam (my wife does not speak a word of French and Zohra not a word of English, but I do not think either of them noticed!)

The best (or one of the best) part of the trip was a day trip to Essaouira that was organised by the obliging Mohamed, the manager of the riad. We were not sure where to spend the day so he made a lot of suggestions, but I had heard of Essaouira and wanted to go there so we did that - what a wonderful day we had. Our guide really took care of us and we loved every minute of it.

Generally, a lovely riad and very importantly, most of the staff speak English which is a great relief as they arranged our taxis, booked our restaurants etc. My wife is already planning her 2nd trip to Riad Mur Akush with her girlfriends this time!!"

• Travel date: Thu 13th of March 2008

We highly recommend this lovely riad

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"We just returned from a wonderful holiday in Marrakech where we stayed in the suite at the newly opened Riad Mur Akush. We were travelling with extended family (including child and grandparents) so, inevitably, had varied needs but the friendly riad staff took this gracefully in their stride making every effort to ensure our comfort.

The suite included a spacious sitting room and private rooftop terrace with a lovely view over the city. There was also a smaller side terrace which, in spite of the January chill, was sheltered and warm during the day. Each morning we were served a delicious breakfast there, joined by grandparents who were in a separate room on the floor below us. The riad staff spoke perfect English and were able to arrange and/or guide all of the outings we requested, including a very enjoyable family hike in the Atlas mountains.

I would recommend this riad to anyone visiting Marrakech. Ranging in age from 7-70, we all felt truly welcome and at home during our stay here."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of January 2008