BEST ROOF TERRACE RIAD IN MARRAKECH

Good

Bravo to Oliver and his army!

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"My husband and I spent 5 nights at the beginning of Feb at Dar Najat. We were met at the airport and whisked to the Riad where the owner Oliver offered us a fantastic breakfast on the terrace despite the fact it was after noon. This level of hospitality continued throughout our trip and nothing was too much trouble for Oliver and all of his fantastic staff. The Riad has been beautifully renovated with much attention to detail and is in a superb location. One evening Oliver said to us "you are at home" as he retired to bed and left us with the run of the terrace enjoying a late night drink and it's this that makes Dar Najat truly special - you do feel that you are in a home away from home."

• Travel date: 18th February 2008

Fantastic Experience

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"I booked a trip to Marrakech for my daughter's 21st birthday and we chose the Dar Najat from the many Riads on offer on Bookings.com staying for 3 nights. What a great choice, we couldn't have felt more welcome. The Dar Najat is in an excellent position, easy to walk to the big square and the beautiful palace Bahia. Oliver and his staff were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble. We felt like part of the family and enjoyed the many conversations with the variety of visitors on the beautiful roof terrace. A special mention must go to Amin and Said who made our trip very memorable. We enjoyed learning some arabic, being shown good places to eat, and personal guides to the palaces and the nightlife of Marrakech. From the hustle and bustle of the square, coming back to the peaceful terrace of the Dar Najat and drinking red wine and beer with good people made our trip one to remember. A big Thank You to Oliver & Co for making our holiday so special."

• Travel date: 8th February 2008

Lovely riad with wondeful staff!

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"We stayed at Riad Dar Najat for a week in January 2008. Thinking back on our week in Marrakesh we realize that our amazing experience is much due to the riad and their lovely staff. When we first arrived, Olivier was there to welcome us and offered us tea, dinner and whatever else we would like. During the first days he showed us around the city and made us feel very welcome - there was not a thing we could not ask him for. We even went out with him and his mother for coffee! Some of what makes Dar Najat such a memorable and special place is the intimate and relaxed atmosphere. The fact that the place only has 7 rooms makes it very friendly and it was easy to get to know the other guests. The beautiful roof-terrace serves as a wonderful hang-out in the evenings, as well as a great breakfast in the morning sun! During out stay at Dar Najat we really came to care for the place and the people there. We are absolutely sure that we will be back as soon as possible and we would recommend the place to all of our friends!"

• Travel date: 8th February 2008

A superb relaxed friendly place to be ..

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"Dar Najat - a superb riad; well presented, tidy & with everything that a riad should have. The roof terrace is exceptional & a great place to while away a few hours in the sun; the bedrooms are great & comfortable; and the breakfast is more than satisfying. All in all its a super place, but marrakech has plenty of stunning riads & hotels, so what seperates dar najat from the rest ?? Put simply it has a great vibe, largely due to the riads affable host Olivier. Alot of riads are too stuffy & conservative & you spend your entire stay tiptoeing around & apologising for being noisy or late for breakfast. Dar najat has a very much more hospitable & relaxed atmosphere, you can come & go as you please, & breakfast is served when you're ready. The riad also seems to attract a more relaxed & friendly clientele (many hours were spent chatting away on the roof terrace). Oliveir is a very friendly & interesting character who will help you plan your trip if he is able or to simply recommend places to eat or sites of interest to visit. Some reviewers moaned that the lighting was a bit dodgy or the water in the showers went from hot to cold, but really if you want to stay in an ancient medina in a north african city what do you expect, if you want luxury stay in the hilton or one of the big bland hotels out of town or go to spain ... I hope to visit morocco again & when i do I will definitely stay at the dar najat!!"

Had a Fantastic Time

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Having never before been to Marrakech, my wife and I wanted to stay in a Riad close to the action and found Dar Najat through TripAdvisor reviews. For a riad in its location, it is a tremendous value for money (a 4-star property for 3-star pricing). I have no idea if a stay at Dar Najat is "traditionally Marrakech" but the cast of characters who operate and staff this jewel made our 4-day trip. We were picked up from the airport by Said, who knows his way around the Medina and easily navigates the rather insane maze of pedestrians, bikers, drivers, donkeys, and horses that make up the roads of the town. Said can also drive you to and from various locations throughout your stay -- this is a very convenient service that is more reliable than a taxi and also more fun. Said will tell you about his experiences as a stunt double/extra in a lot of movies filmed in Marrakech like Charlie Wilson's War and Kingdom in Heaven. Once we got to the riad, we were greeted by the energetic owner, Olivier. No description of Olivier will likely do justice, but during our stay, Olivier introduced us to the coolest cafes, fine restaurants, his mother, the previous owner of the riad (the original Najat and her family), and his enthusiastic and friendly staff (and fiance Souad). Olivier and his crew treated us like family and did their utmost not just to make our stay memorable but to make the riad experience fun. Marrakech is a great city but we had so much fun hanging out on the terrace of the riad with the staff and the other guests, we will probably remember that the most. If you are looking for a traditional luxury hotel or you want to keep to yourself during holiday, Dar Najat is probably not for you. However, if you are looking for a more social and unique experience with enough luxury to keep comfortable, I highly recommend Dar Najat. It's the most fun hotel we've ever stayed in and reminds us of why we travel. Thanks again to the staff for their hospitality and hello to our new friends in Morocco, France, England, and Italy."

• Travel date: 8th February 2008

Well located and very helpful

Reviewed 18th October 2012

"Given the maze-like quality of the medina of Marrakech, Riad Dar Najat is well-located near the famed Djemma el Fna plaza but hidden from its bustle. Oliver and his staff helped us navigate the medina, spent time suggesting things for us to see and arranged transportation for us from the train station and to the airport. There is a lovely rooftop terrace for breakfast or for an afternoon break or drink. It was great hearing the calls to prayer resounding from the minarets, but there was also more than a little noise from children beating drums in honor of the recent new year. It was a little chilly while we were there and the heating didn't work quite right, but the staff kindly provided extra blankets to keep us warm."

• Travel date: 30th January 2008

Dar Najat: Attention to Detail Makes All the Difference!

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"I recently (Jan 4-6) traveled to Marrakech for a long weekend. After reviewing the feedback on many Riads I chose Dar Najat. Upon contacting the property directly I was put in touch with Oliver, the owner. Oliver took my reservation and also my flight details. After receiving those he confirmed the room and also arranged for pick up from the airport. Upon arriving I was welcomed by Oliver who helped me learn a bit about the area and took an interest in what I wanted to see and do while in Morocco. I relied on Oliver during my entire stay to arrange excursions and book reservations at restaurants. On my first day, Oliver arranged a driver to take me all around Marrakech and show me the Medina and outside the Medina. My first night at the riad was surprisingly quiet... It is situated right in the medina only a few minute walk from the city square but the inside of the riad is absolutely quiet at night for sleeping. I am an early riser and was on roof of the riad for sunrise on the following morning. I was met by Oliver who was getting some work done early in the morning. Oliver made sure I had fresh squeezed orange juice and coffee (you must drink both of these while in Morocco... the orange juice is so fresh and the coffee is the strongest I have had in a while). Oliver had already arranged for a car to pick me up and drive an hour and a half to hike in the Atlas mountains. The driver was very competent and was able to travel on a riad that had significant obstacles (3 rivers with rocks flowing across the road). Once arriving at the mountains the driver found me a hiking guide and ensured that my trek was safe. That evening, after a long day of hiking, Oliver had arranged a dinner for me at a local restaurant. The dinner was traditional Moroccan food and the entertainment was spectacular (two bands playing traditional instruments and a belly dancer). On my final full day in Marrakech, Oliver arranged a four-wheeling expedition with a guide who was a friend of Oliver's. I had a great time four-wheeling through small villages in the foothills of the Atlas mountains. This was finished off with a dinner at a restaurant in the foothills which was very beautiful. That evening I had coffee in the city square with Oliver and his dog. Oliver is the most gracious of hosts and ensures that you get the most out of your trip. He personally takes the time to arrange anything you need and made my first trip to the continent of Africa a very enjoyable time. When I return, I plan on staying at Oliver's riad, Dar Najat, for the service and personal attention to detail. If and when you travel to Morocco, I highly recommend staying in a riad rather than a hotel. I travel 100% of the time around the world and stay in hotels all the time. A riad is the best way to get connected to the city and local people."

• Travel date: 30th January 2008

Great stay for New Year's Holidays

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"My wife and I stayed in the Riad Dar Najat from December 26 to January 4th, 08. Olivier and his crew are the best! From the moment of arrival (taxi driver waiting for us at the airport, taxi paid by the hotel), we dropped our bags in the room and went straight up to the terrace for beer and fruit juice. Olivier was there to warmly greet us and began answering our many questions about what to do in Marrakech. The next day I walked through the Medina with Olivier and he introduced me to his favorite vendors, offering ideas at every turn. The riad has a great ambience and we were made to feel very welcome throughout our 9 days. Olivier never hesitates to answer to your needs, even arranging for a doctor to make a house call when my pregnant wife was feeling a little ill. Furthermore, an associate from the riad was kind enough to retrieve the prescribed medication from the pharmacy. Very considerate service! The cast of characters who make up the riad's crew are all very welcoming and warm. We had many good times on the terrasse speaking with other travelers who come and go, a real international experience. The food is well prepared and abundant, and at a very good price. This is most useful when after a long day in the Medina you prefer to remain in the riad for the evening. The rooms are very clean, and the location is very safe. We had a great vacation in Marrakech, and a lot of it was thanks to our stay in Dar Najat. Highly recommended!! Mike & Gaelle"

Fantastic Riad and wonderful hospitality

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"Stayed at Dar Najat with my wife on 8th Jan' 2008 and absolutely loved it. Oliver made us feel incredibly welcome as soon as we arrived and took time beyond the normal pleasantries to find out about us and our trip. The Riad itself is really beautiful and has a very relaxed, peaceful atmosphere. Our room was gorgeous and very authentic, really felt like a slice of tranquility away from the madness of the main square. Unfortunately, it was our last night before returning home so we couldn't stay as long as we'd liked to. However, we are regular visitors to Morocco so we will try and stay there again. All in all, this Riad is the real thing and offers excellent value for money. We had stayed in a beautiful Riad in Marrakesh prior to this, but it just didn't have the special quality that Dar Najat had and was more than double the price."

• Travel date: 16th January 2008

A Bad Gus Van Sant Movie!

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"My husband and I stayed at this riad for 2 nights during our visit to Marrakech. We are 2 young professionals, in our early thirties. Originally we were supposed to stay in another riad but we got lost in the streets of Marrakech and couldnt find the riad we had reservations at. We wandered about looking for an alternate place to stay when we came accross a Frenchman named Eric (who works in Dar Najat) who invited us to stay in dar najat. We originally selected the riad we intended to stay at because it offered a swimming pool in its court yard. When we asked Erik if there is a pool in dar najat, he said that there was a jacuzzi :D... Well, we passed on it, given the fact that it was a home made wading pool with some permanent residents in it! The owner Olivier is French and he speaks English fluently although, he is the only one in the riad who speaks English. Things can be tough when you need to communicate when he is not around. As another reviewer said, strangers are constantly around and security is suspiciously low. After a long day of travel to Marrakech, and spending the evening walking around we were exhausted. After bedding down for the night,we came to realize, the bed was not only very uncomfortable but was also really damp !!. When we went to sleep on our first night in the riad, at around 3 oclock in the morning, we woke up with Bonnie-The owners dog- barking. He continued barking for the next 20 minutes.... The next day we searched for another riad to move to, but unfortunately due to the weekend rush, we were unable to find another place and had to stay in dar najat another night. We found it very interesting that all the riads we came across in Marrakech were full while at dar najad we were the only residents. During our stay, it was a challenge to take a shower. The major annoyance was the inconsistency of the hot water. It would run hot for 2 minutes and then ice cold for 4 minutes and so on. the second annoyance was that there was no hooks for the shower head and you have to wash your hair with one hand or you should get into the shower with your partner :).(Good luck with 1m2 shower area) When we were dealing with this situation, on our second night another couple checked in and we saw them changing the room. When we asked why, they said there was no water in the shower. When we asked about advice to travel to Merzouga (it was our next destination) Olivier was very helpful and found us a driver to drive us there for 4000DH !. It was kind of expensive to us( considering in the end we found transportation for less than 500DH) .when he realized we were not interested in his offer, he became short with us. We had to leave his riad at 6.30 in the morning, he asked his money from the night and charged us for a little extra claiming the 1 euro is equal to 11DH where as everyone else calculates it 10DH. We only had one breakfast at this place and i have to say that it was pretty weak. Just a piece of croissant and coffee or orange juice. The kitchen facilities are questionable as we witnessed a continuous parade of stray cats wandering about the counter in a most unsanitary way. We would definitely not go back to this place.."

Hotels near Riad Dar Najat

Riad Dar Najat is also called

• riad dar najat marrakech
  • riad dar najat hotel marrakech