Amazingly Peaceful Gem

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"I researched this Riad and read the review from Trip Advisor before booking and everything was true about it. It was a little difficult to find, but the owner will meet you at the train station or airport and escort you there. We got a taxi and went through the closest gate and our taxi driver hired some boys to guide us to the door. We couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. It was so quiet. It was very clean. We had the largest suite that had a huge bathtub. We felt like princesses. The fresh fruit and bottled water in our room was a nice touch. We had fantastic mint tea several times during our stay. The breakfast was very good. We also had a very nice dinner there one night. This riad is in one of the oldest parts of the medina. It was fairly convenient to everything. We had an amazing tourguide, Rachid Boussalem. He made history come alive for my daughter and me. I can email you with his information if you are interested. We loved Marrakesh and would definatelly return to this riad again."

• Travel date: 8th February 2007

Couldn't have asked for more

Reviewed 11th December 2012

"We are 2 Australian girls who stayed at Dar Dialkoum in January 2007 and we can honestly say it was the loveliest accommodation we had during our 2 months of travels. We emailed Jean-Bernard to organise airport transfers which he did, (even though we got our flight times wrong), without a problem or complaint. He also organised a meal waiting for us when we arrived which, like all of the meals we had at there, was delicious. At all stages during our stay we found everyone at the Riad to be not only delightful company but also very helpful and accommodating. Mohamed and Jean-Bernard organised various tours, transfers and dinners for us with Mohamed walking us to close restaurants if we were not sure of their location. The Riad itself is absolutely beautiful and comfortable, (as you can read from other reviews), and for what you get, is extremely reasonably priced in our minds. We paid for everything on card and had no problems at all with Jean-Bernard organising or executing payments of any kind. Nor did we have any problems with booking via email. We would highly recommend this Riad to anyone looking for accommodation in Marrakesh and would once again like to thank everyone there for allowing us to enjoy our time there so much!"

• Travel date: 3rd February 2007

Dar Dialkoum is simply fantastic

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"Four of stayed at the Dar Dialkoum riad recently and it was simply wonderful. The hotel is an island of tranquility just off a busy souk. (The hotel is located in the heart of the souks used by locals rather than tourists which is a real plus -but at the same time the main square is a very short walk away) When you step through the front door of the riad you are greeted by a wonderful courtyard with a small pool; plants; candles etc where we had dinner each evening. The bedrooms are awesome -very Morrocan in decor and really lovely. On the roof of the hotel is a beautiful terrace with sofas where you can chill out and read. We had a really good breakfast on the terrace each morning -pastries; fruit; rolls etc - all very fresh. Bernard who runs the hotel couldn';t have been a better host or more helpful. He sat and spoke with us when we arrived and gave us helpful info for our visit. Nothing was too much trouble. Mohammed who also works at the hotel (and has a wicked sense of humour) did many helpful things including helping to arrange excellent guides for trips to the Atlan mountains and also for a tour of the local souks. All in all this is a place where we will definitely return to and wouldn't hestitate in recommending to anyone else. Ten out of ten!"

• Travel date: 28th December 2006

A sea of tranquility

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this "oasis" . We could honestly find no fault with the owner, staff or facilities. We had researched reviews before deciding to stay at Dar Dialkoum, and were aware of some negative feedback. Yes the owner does have a problem accepting credit cards, but if you are prepared to pay cash, then you are in for a real treat. The area around the riad is grubby but that is to be expected as its a live market and full of many interesting characters. Mohammed will be your personal assistant throughout the duration of your stay. Nothing is too much trouble for him. Excellent food is cooked in the riad by Khalija, and always served with a smile. It is difficult to find the riad, so we would recommend that you arrange your transfer from the airport with Jean- Bernard (owner). We found Al Fassia Restaurant the best for value and quality. Use the services of a guide for the Souks but beware of the "hard sell" at the carpet and furnature houses. Steve & Kirsty, Epsom, UK"

• Travel date: 20th December 2006

Extremely hard to fault

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"Without repeating other comments, I stayed in this place for three nights. From booking the room to leaving the riad was a joy. Would recommend it to anyone. Email if you have any questions. 10/10"

• Travel date: 19th December 2006

The Best Riad in Town

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"Hello Everyone Marrakesh is a lovely place to be and i had an amazing time and you can do Pratically everything Dancing,dinning out,Shopping,Full Massage for less than £10 La belle vie :) but what marked most my sejour in Marrakesh is Dar Dialkoum Riad Frankly i spent the most exotic 4 nights on that Riad. The Place itself it's lovely,the Rooms are clean,Big Beds and the staff are top class. they collected me from the airport with no extra charge £15.they clean your room everyday,giving me advice how to have a good time in city and what and what not to do? :) the best moment on That Riad is having my breakfast in terrace and in the reception. All in all,I adore that Place and i advice everyone who come across me in life to go there and it's not expensive at all. John L"

• Travel date: 14th December 2006

Ruined Holiday for December 2006

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"Just thought I'd share my recent experience with you all in the hope that it doesn't happen to anyone else. At the beginning of October this year, I contacted the Riad via their website to discuss availability and prices for a week's stay this coming December for me and my partner. Following two sererate enquiries I eventually got a reply from someone I presume is the owner of the Riad...Jean-Bernard. After a couple of emails each way over the next few days, we agreed on dates, prices and the accommodation (Soraya). He also stated that he would provide us with a complimentary "Gastronomical" Morrocan meal on our first night, which I thought was a very nice gesture. All this was confirmed in his last email to me. I then duly booked our return flights to Marrakech. Earlier this week, whilst at work, I was thinking of our pending holiday in Morroco and I remembered one of the earlier postings on this website regarding someone who had their holiday at this same Riad cancelled by emial just prior to their arrival. This preyed on my mind all day and I couldn't stop thinking how awful it must have been for these people. With this in mind, I decided to email the Riad just to confirm all our details again and to check that everything was still OK for our stay in three weeks time and also to give them our flight details for the pick-up. 24 hours later, I had still not heard anything from the Riad, so I sent another email. Approximately one hour later I received a reply saying that the Riad was full on the dates I had listed. I was so knocked back by what I was reading and thought it was a mistake, as I had already booked and made the reservation. I picked up the phone and called the Riad directly. My call was answered by Jean-Bernard himself. I must say that his spoken English is very, very bad and that it's extremely difficult to understand him. My French is not that good either, although I am fluent in Spanish, but that didn't help with him. Nevertheless, He kept shouting down the phone that the Riad was full and that I could not stay on those days. I explained that I had an email from him confirming that I had reserved everything with him for those dates. He then tried to blame his error on me by saying that I had not given him my credit card details. I pointed out that at no time had I been asked for them, as I would have obliged without problem. He had not requested those details from me at any time whatsoever! Furthermore, his arrogant attitude towards me on the phone was getting worse and he appeared to be getting louder. There was no reasoning with him and he wasn't doing anything to resolve the problem he had created us. It was a pointless excercise and at this stage I was so annoyed myself that I had to put the phone down on this totally rude and obnoxious man. As a result, we have not been able to find suitable accommodation elsewhere in Marrakech on those dates and we have now had to cancel our flights and re-book a holiday in a different destination. As stated when I started, I wouldn't like this to happen to anyone else. I can only suggest that you book early in the Riad of your choice with a reputable company that will not let you down at the last minute and where you have some kind of compensation or alternative choice should something like this happen to you. PS. It seems very odd that he should cancel my holiday because he didn't ask me for my credit card details, yet when people on previous postings have tried to pay for things with their credit card, his machine has not been working. Very, very odd!! I seem to think he probably had a better offer off someone else for the week I booked in December. Not the way to treat customers and run a business, I feel?? Be so very wary!!!"

• Travel date: 11th November 2006

A great riad in an OK part of town...

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"My partner and I just returned from a stay in Marrakech, where we were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to stay in two riads in the Medina. Riad Dar Dialkoum is a beautiful riad on the very outskirts of the old city walls. The riad itself is beautiful - an older riad, so the gardens were more mature and the roof terrace was shaded by the stunning plants trailed everywhere. The Good Bits: The decor in the rooms The very friendly and helpful staff - Mohammed and Khalidja The pool - although unheated, it's a welcome break from the African heat The ratio of communal rooms v bedrooms - there are 4 lounges/salons/terraces/dining rooms so you may have an entire area to yourself at any point! The Bad Bits: No bath in our room, Selima, which was disappointing Noisy - Again, our room was next to the kitchen so you're woken as soon as breakfast is being prepared! Again, during lunch and dinner prep, you get all the noise echoing right through the walls! Furthermore, the courtyard noise can be very annoying and certainly ruins the peace and quiet. We also happened to stay at a time when there were lots of children in the riad, most of them whom seemed to wander into our room all the time unless we locked the door behind us! Very aggravating to say the least! The lack of knowledge of the local area shown by the owner - we were left to ask local store owners about restaurants, directions, sights etc. The area itself - it's really grubby round this part of the medina. Loads of flies in the surrounding alleyways - none at the riad bizarrely - but hundreds nearby. Furthermore, the street market at the end of the road added a certain aroma which was difficult to deal with on hot days... The lack of credit card facilities - we were told that the credit card terminal was out of service, so we would have to settle the bill in cash - we duly obliged, but soon realised that it never works, having read the various comments left by previous guests. Must be some sort of dodge...who knows?! The fact that you are not given a key to the riad, but instead you have to knock each time you return home. Ok during the day, but not great at night when you come home really late and have to wait for someone to get out of bed to come open the door! All that said, it's a beautiful riad and well worth staying, perhaps just not in the downstairs room, and certainly not if you want to be right in the heart of the medina!"

• Travel date: 2nd November 2006

We loved this place!

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"We stayed for 4 nights in the Leila suite and thought it was completely fantastic. Our room was huge and beautifully decorated with a lovely bathroom, all clean and immaculate; nice breakfasts; a fantastic roof terrace and peaceful courtyard and pool. Our hosts Mohammed and Khadija were great; they were really cheerful and friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome (they also happily found us beer and wine which was particularly appreciated). We had a meal at the riad one night which was served on the roof terrace and was definitely the most atmospheric eating experience of our stay. Mohammed also organised a few trips for us which were very worthwhile. It's hard to see why anyone might not really like it here but I guess some people might find the location a little bit far out: it probably took 15-20 minutes to walk to the square, but the walk was mostly through the souks and workshops that were interesting to see anyway, and the last few minutes allowed us to see a bit more of real Morrocan life, so we really liked the location for showing a good cross-section of Marrakech (also quite handy for walking to Gueliz and taxi ranks). It is probably not the grandest riad in town, but at the same time it's beautifully and tastefully furnished in traditional Moroccan style (the other riad we stayed in was more central and more historical but felt slightly grubbier and much less friendly). Overall we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place."

• Travel date: 1st October 2006

A Perfect Retreat from the Madness of Marrakech

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"A beautiful Riad in a hectic city! This riad was the perfect retreat from a day trekking around the souks and the madness of marrakech medina. The rooms were lovely (we stayed in two) and I would certainly recomend paying the extra for 'soraya' which is a gem of a room. We also stayed in 'Leila' which was lovely too and a comfier bed (they are a little hard) but i just liked 'soraya' for its lovely rich red interior which made me feel like i was in a palace. We really were well looked after and mohamed & bernard will organise anything you like for you. Just check what your getting though and ensure that if you want to see the Real Ouzand Cascades you make it very clear and don't end up seeing some other waterfalls via a rug shop or two in the atlas mountains. (i've just found out on my return home that that is what we saw & am little dissapointed as i specfically asked to see the real waterfalls) All in all our stay in morroco was an experience but made very special by this riad which was such a godsend. Be patient in marrakech, bargin hard & beware of what your eating. I was ill in bed for two days with what they call 'pashas revenge' .... and i don't recommend that! Oh and definatley get the riad transfer as you'll never find it on your own."

• Travel date: 1st October 2006

Hotels near Riad Dar Dialkoum

Riad Dar Dialkoum is also called

• dar dialkoum marrakech
  • dar dialkoum hotel marrakech