Amirat Al Jamal sitting area

Good

I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Marrakech!

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"Have just come back from an amazing trip to Marrakech and this wonderful riad was such a crucial part of that experience that I signed up to Tripadvisor specifically so I could add a review! Riad Amirat al Jamal is situated in the Medina just off the Rue de la Koutubia, which has the Koutubia Mosque at one end and the Place Jma el Fna at the other. This is about as good a location as you can get, with the added advantage that you can pop back any time to drop off shopping and use a decent clean toilet! Access is via an unassuming alleyway off the main street so you really aren’t prepared for the feast of the senses that awaits you inside. It is a gem of a Riad, decorated to perfection with Berber crafts and centred round a tranquil courtyard, complete with small pool and full of flowers and birdsong. What really makes the place special though is Peggy, the lovely American owner, and her staff, all of whom are from the same Berber family. They were immensely friendly and welcoming, and we enjoyed impeccable service with a genuine personal touch throughout our stay. We felt we got all the advantages of staying in a family home but with the top class service of a great hotel! We stayed in the Blue Chamber, a beautiful room with Berber decor, amazing en-suite bathroom decorated with handcut tiles, and lovely long windows complete with shutters and beautiful metal fretwork overlooking the pool. The included breakfast was fantastic - every morning we came down to find a beautifully decorated table laid out by the pool and feasted on pancakes, fresh homemade bread with jam and honey, yogurts and boiled eggs. We ate an evening meal there too – chicken tagine with olives and lemons, cooked by the adorable Fatima and served on an even more beautifully laid table! It was one of the best meals of our stay. While we spent most of our time in the city, we did take a day trip out into the Atlas mountains. Rachid, the friendly and very knowledgeable manager, recommended a location (Imlil) and organised transport with a friendly driver, Hakim, who hired us mules and a guide on our arrival and recommended a good restaurant. This was one of the best days of our stay and well worth doing. Overall this is one of the best places we have ever stayed anywhere in the world and I really can't recommend the Amirat al Jamal too highly . I would most definitely stay here if I visit Marrakech again – in fact I couldn’t imagine staying anywhere else."

• Travel date: 30th May 2008

authentic Berber decor and wonderful location

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"our 4 night stay at Riad al Jamal was the highlight of our 2 weeks in Morocco. The rooms were large and comfortable, good matresses and plenty of room to put suitcases and lay out clothes. They were decorated in authentic Berber decor. The owner Peggy was warm and welcoming. She and her partner Rachid made us feel at home and had lots of suggestions for places to visit and things to do. The Riad is well located on the edge of the Medina ,or old town. The view from the 2 roof top terrraces was charming and a fun place to sit and have coffee or a drink in the evening. The staff were helpful and good cooks. Hamedu,and Fatima provided us with answers to questions about local customs./all in all a wonderful stay, highly recommeded."

• Travel date: 30th May 2008

A Magical Stay

Good
Reviewed 15th November 2012

"My wife and I have just returned from a magical week at this riad. Located just two minutes walk from the Place Djemaa el-Fna, where it all happens in the old part of Marrakech, it is a haven of peace and tranquility. Peggy and her staff made us welcome from the outset and by the end of our stay we felt that they had become firm friends. The unique decor, the comfort, and the excellent Berber cooking helped to make it a memorable visit and we will certainly return. Charles M, London UK"

• Travel date: 16th May 2008

Hidden Gem in the Medina

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"Staying in the Medina in Marrakesh with two young children we needed a comfortable safe refuge. Riad Amirat Al Jamal turned out to be that and so much more. The riad was perfectly located, close enough to the wonderful Place Jamaa el Fina to be able to make sorties into the square for evening entertainment and al fresco dinning, or for exploring the souks. We could return home for a refreshing afternoon dip in the courtyard pool. Peggy and Rachid were warm and welcoming, explaining the surrounds over mint tea, and always at hand for advice. The riad was beautifully presented in traditional décor. Our rooms were thoughtfully furnished in Berber style and the bathroom uxorious and vibrantly Moroccan. The attention to detail was meticulous, which may have made one feel too cautious. This was definitely not the case and we felt completely relaxed and taken care of. Breakfast was served on the terrace, around the pool. The food was delicious and abundant. The staff were lovely; helpful, courteous and professional. We would and already have recommended the riad to friends. The location was perfect, the setting beautiful, the hospitality superb."

• Travel date: 29th April 2008

wonderful riad

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"Our family of 4 just spent 4 wonderful days at the Riad Amirat Al Jamal at the end of February. This riad is a true gem in the best possible location in Marrakech, two minutes on foot from Jemma El Fna. The rooms are beautifully appointed and it is staffed by a wonderful and warm group of people -- it is an ideal place from which to explore Marrakech on foot and the perfect place to return to after a long day in the souks. Within minutes of arriving, our 2 kids felt as if we had a second home in Marrakech -- one of them spent a great deal of time in the pool and they both took advantage of the lovely rooftop terrace, lounging in the shadow of the Koutoubia Mosque while reading some of the old People magazines found at the riad. The riad arranged for an airport pickup and then drop off at the train station on the day we left; they also hired a car for us so that we could take a day trip to Essaouira (well worth it!) -- all transport was perfect. We felt as if we were saying goodbye to old friends after just a couple of days at the Riad -- would highly recommend!"

• Travel date: 17th March 2008

Can't wait to return!

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"My daughter and I spent 4 nights at Amirat Al Jamal and loved every minute of it. The house is beautifully decorated with Berber artifacts, and is very clean and comfortable. The service was flawless. The two dinners prepared in house were delicious. Be sure to ask for the lamb tangine with artichokes. This was our first visit to Morroco. Peggy and her staff insured that it was seemless and a total pleasure. We were met at the airport, taken care of as if we were family, and deposited back at the airport at the end of a marvelous trip. The riad is just steps from the main square which makes sightseeing on foot very easy. We could make a daily trek into the souks and still have time for visits to museums, palaces and gardens. We were able to walk to almost everything and felt safe venturing out to restaurants on our own in the evenings. It really is situated perfectly for a tourist within the medina and is also very close to a street where procuring taxis is easy. I give this riad highest possible points and hope to return there for another visit as soon as possible."

• Travel date: 14th March 2008

Peace and quiet in the middle of everything!!

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"My husband and I spent 10 wonderful days in Morocco and loved the country! We stayed at all upscale, beautiful riads and hotels. One of our favorite places to stay was Riad Amirat Al Jamal. The decor was authentic Moroccan and at the same time, very comfortable. The riad is located just a short walk away from the bustling and noisy souk, yet once you walk through to the riad, you reach a beautiful place of peace and quiet. There are balconies from which you can see Marrakech: even though it was December, it was warm enough in the afternoon to sit on the balcony and read and relax. The breakfasts were excellent! The staff is very helpful and will go out of their way to assist you with any needs you may have. The one thing I would recommend is to bring your own pillows if you are used to down pillows. The pillows throughout Morocco were uniformly bad!"

• Travel date: 18th February 2008

love it

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"I stayed in Marrakech at the Riad Amirat Al Jamal on my way to Mali. This was one of the best hotel visits I have ever experienced. The Riad was close to the mosque and to the main square with easy access to the street (unlike some riads). Walking in is to step into a tranquil, beautifully remodel, safe, and extremely clean, hotel. The staff is ... well, lets put this way, I missed them after I left! So, when I returned from Mali I found my way back to the Riad and had (I insisted on a traditional Moroccan meal) the best dinner of my vacation. I had a great time staying in the best hotel in Morocco and made new friends. I am planning to return with my family. Sooling"

• Travel date: 15th February 2008

Loved this riad!

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"This lovely riad is located within a few minutes walk to the amazing Jamaa El Fna Square. The central courtyard features a pool surrounded by a sitting and dining area and a private sitting /dining area featuring a fireplace where we enjoyed many meals. Every meal was outstanding. Moroccan art and crafts are featured throught the riad and very tastefully done. Our triple room which wer loved, featured a downstairs bedroom and bathroom and an upstairs bedroom and patio. We enjoyed personal and friendly service every day, in fact, Fatima and Hamidu felt like family. You will love this place and we highly recommend it."

• Travel date: 31st December 2007

Loved the Riad Amirat Al Jamal

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My family and I stayed at the Riad Amirat Al Jamal during Christmas 2007 - and what a treat! Not only was the riad centrally located in a historic palace district in the medina (just a 2 minute walk from the main square), but the accomodations were first class and the staff provided top notch hospitality. The riad is very well decorated with Moroccan arts and crafts, has an atrium pool and a lovely view of the city from the rooftop terrace (there are several private terraces as well). As well, the room was spacious, very comfortable and well decorated with interesting artifacts. The meals at Riad Amirat Al Jamal were the best we had during our trip. Rachid, Fatima and Hamidu went out of their way to make us feel at home - including arranging special meals, taking us to the bakery to buy special desserts and waking up at 4am to make us breakfast before we left for the airport. Everyone speaks some English and Rachid, the manager, is fluent in a number of languages (incluing English, French, Spanish and German) and is also a partner in Moroccan Custom Travel. I would highly recommend this riad to anyone who wants to have a special experience during your trip to Morocco!"

• Travel date: 28th December 2007

Hotels near Riad Amirat Al Jamal

Riad Amirat Al Jamal is also called

• riad amirat al jamal marrakech
  • riad amirat al jamal hotel