Vista piscina y mansión

Honesty wins the day

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"Conference last week the 8th may. Unlike some previous reviews found the Hotel and service to be above average nothing I asked for was too much trouble. I of course used the room safe as everyone should do in this day and age!!! Despite that when I sent my suits to the cleaners I managed to leave €100 in one of my pockets the only reason I know this is that on returning to my room there was a knock on my door and a young lady from house-keeping proceeded to explain that she had found the €100 in my suit and was returning it to me she refused to accept any reward whatsoever. As in any country or Hotel you get the good and the bad and I certainly was lucky enough to experience but the good. Well done Palmeraie palace!!!!!!"

• Travel date: 14th May 2007

Ignored the reviews and had a great time in hotel!

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"Just returned from spending 4 nights in the hotel and have to say that our group were pleasantly suprised at the hotel. While we didnt think that it was 5-star, we thought it was a very good 4-star. The decor was moroccan which was nice as many of the better hotels can be a bit bland and the same everywhere you go. The rooms (deluxe) overlooked the golf course and were the same ones shown on the website - this is pretty unusual i think. They were a little dark but after being outside in the heat they were pleasant to return to. The ones by the pool were brighter. There was a little noise from neighbouring rooms, but this was only audible when the tv was turned up ridiculously loud on one or two occasions. The breakfasts were great especially the chocolate pancakes and fresh orange juice. we didnt particularly have a problem with the flies so perhaps it depends on the time of year you were there. The sunday morning was crazily busy at breakfast and we found some of the customers of the hotel really rude - especially the ones that took our table when we went to get more food -despite us having left our belongings at it. there were no more tables and they refused to move so we were grateful for some kind people who invited us to share their table. The pool area was lovely and it was nice to have the choice of restaurants by it for lunch. The food in the moroccan restaurant for dinner was really good especially the lamb shank tagine. If you eat outside the restaurant, try dar moha in marrakech which was excellent, and the outside tables were fantastically romantic. we also enjoyed marrakchi in the jemaa al fna as it did not have a set menu. As for some of the concerns raised by previous posters, the website makes clear that it is outside the city, and for us this was great as we wanted somewhere peaceful to return to after exploring the city. There is a free shuttle, although we felt they could run more often and later, and we would have preferred if it dropped us closer to the medina. The staff at the hotel were in general friendly and helpful although the service at the poolside restaurant could be a little slow at times. We had no problem with things being stolen from the hotel, although we did lock valuables into a case. All in all we had a fantastic time at the hotel and would definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a resort hotel outside of the city. We will stay there again when we return to marrakech."

• Travel date: 23rd March 2007

Problems at this hotel

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"My wife has just returned from a 4 day stay at the Palmeraie as part of a business conference. She thoroughly enjoyed the rooms and surroundings but was very angry at the thefts of personal belongings. She had £40 in sterling stolen from her room. This was hidden inside her bag, inside her case. She only realised today on checking in for a flight that her UK drivers licence had also been stolen from her bag. Thinking it was an isolated incident and not wanting to cause a fuss she only reported it to the event organisers and not directly to the hotel. Whoever took the cash were however kind enough to leave the Scottish sterling notes! However, on meeting up with her work colleagues today she has now learned that a number of them also experienced thefts of a watch, small amounts of cash, hand bags, make up etc.All the thefts were relatively small in cash terms but clearly but maybe designed to go unoticed. My wife just thought she was unlucky and felt partially culpable by not putting her valuables in the hotel safe. She also thought it was an isolated incident but that is not the case. Guests have had their belongings stolen from their locked rooms so the advice is be vigilant and use the safe. This does not excuse the hotel in any way and they should be ashamed that this is going on."

• Travel date: 26th February 2007

Palace is the correct word!

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"Having done a lot of research into hotels in Marrakech there were a lot of mixed reviews of even the most renouned hotels, so i edged my bets with a 3 nights stay at La Palmeraie. And boy am i glad i took the risk. The hotel is even nicer than it looks in the pictures and we found the staff amiable and helpful. Don't be put off this hotel like i almost was: - There is a free shuttle bus to Marrakech town and while a taxi may be expensive, it is no more than you would pay in the UK and it is made clear that the hotel is indeed 15-20mins from the centre. - I'm not french but to put rudeness down to a "French Thing" is certainly not a constructive thing to do, and in fact we found not only the staff but the people of Marrakech to be very warm and helpful. Have you ever thought that English is their 3rd spoken language and maybe try a little French (although not neccessary, it does go down well). - We asked for toothpaste and it was promptly bought to the room, free bottled water was replaced daily and rose petals decorated the bathroom upon arrival (after being sat down for check-on) - The rooms are cleaned twice a day. - Breakfast is now in one of the evening restaurants, so no flies. All in all it was what we would expect of a 5 star hotel, and beyond. Do not be put off by the reviews below and give this hotel a try!"

• Travel date: 13th February 2007

The Tea guy was the best

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"Wow some of the best service ever from the tea guy named Si Mohamed he was at the reception area and really made us feel a part of the city,He was the first person that didnt try to win us over with B.S. he was honestly a good person with ethics and knew the best spots in town.when you travel to places like marrakesh its really who you know just ask for simohamed the tea guy and tell him greetings from S.F. usa he will treat you like old friends and you wont regret it.As for the hotel its landscaping was outstanding."

• Travel date: 20th January 2007

Read this if you care

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"The hotel had its ups and downs.....actually I cant think of any nice things to say... The hotel is far away from town.....taxi drivers will love you, the minute they hear the PALMERAI they charge you triple the actual cost. The hotel staff were kind of curtious, but at the same time rude...I guess its a "French" thing. They were helpful enough to take note if you request a reservation at a certain restaurant, but wont actually make your reservation!! I tell you this hotel is a tricky one....I read the bad reviews, but when I saw the pictures I booked it.....BAAAD Mistake."

• Travel date: 19th January 2007

Peachy Palmeraie

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"I read what others said AFTER I'd booked so it was with some trepidation that we made our way to the hotel. It was brilliant - room excellent - the safe wouldn't open on day 3 - it was fixed in 10 minutes, service all round was exceptional. Standard of cleanliness and the warmth of the welcome everywhere we went - and it's a big hotel - were great. We are booking for next year!"

• Travel date: 26th December 2006

Nice from outside, but over rated

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"Like other reviewer, I was very disappointed by this overrated hotel. Its 12km from the resort centre. Taxi from the airport costs 150dh. Taxi to town centre costs 100dh, evening goes up to 150dh. As you arrive the approach by cab is good; the greeting is warm; check-in is easy, all done for you whilst being served free mint tea. After that it is pretty much downhill I'm afraid. I was very disappointed. The level of service for a 5star hotel is very poor. When we arrived we discovered our safe in our room was not working. We reported this several times on one evening, every hour. It took them 3 days to come and fix our safe, with no apology. Breakfast was served outside near the pool. However there was a terrible problem with bees & flies around the table and on the food. Unfortunately the staff just seemed to find this highly amusing. We asked on several occasions to eat our breakfast elsewhere, but no alternative was offered. The day it rained was a blessing in disguise; we managed to eat our breakfast in piece. The concierge desk did not have any information for tourists on local information or things to do in town. We booked a tour guide through the hotel, but no information was giving to as to what the tour covered for 11.30 am, but the hotel staff failed to tell us that majority of the attractions were closed during this period and did not open until after 2.00pm. The hotel does not cater for English speaking guests as very few staff including the concierge desk spoke English. We attempted to visit the hotel spa as we were interested in booking some treatments. However the staff were not very welcoming. In the end we went to a spa at the riad lotus which was a great experience and fabulous service. The “Palmeraie Golf Palace & Resort is not a tourist hotel, rather caters for corporate client events. If you are traveling to Marrakech I would think twice before you book this hotel, but rather book a hotel in town or riad."

• Travel date: 28th November 2006

Fails to manage expectations!

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"The approach by cab is spectacular; the greeting is warm; check-in is easy, all done for you whilst being served free mint tea. After that it is pretty much downhill I'm afraid. There was nothing else for free! And the service declined to pretty much non-existent at times. Service by the pool - we rarely saw a waiter. At the snack bar the service was at a snail's pace. The buffet - pleasant but one has to do battle with the bees (albeit not the aggressive stinging variety). Expensive for what was on offer. Room service - diabolically slow. We waited well over an hour for a pot of tea and a sandwich. The cocktail bar - very pleasant except the piped music was on too loud so you neded to raise your voice to have a normal conversation; when the singer came on (who was decidedly average with a very limited repertoir) she was so loud that you could forget any further communication other than by sign language! We wanted to be pampered and spoilt - I'm afraid our experience was more one of frustration at the poor service. It is not a cheap place to stay so it represented poor value for money."

• Travel date: 20th November 2006

Great experience

Reviewed 2nd December 2012

"We stayed here with our children and grandchildren for one week and I think that the service has much improved. The staff is very friendly and mostly well trained. We had very nice rooms, clean and the aircondition worked perfectly. The children enjoyed the Miniclub, nearby Horseriding and all of us the large pools where you always found enough chairs and towels. The golf is just 5 minutes walk away and the food, especially in the nearby Nickyclub (could be in St.Tropez), perfect for a hotel. We all agreed, we will certainly come back."

• Travel date: 13th October 2006