Loved the decor!

Reviewed Thu 5th of February 2009

"The hotel is beautifully decorated, and the Reception staff are generally very helpful, but that's all I can say in it's favour. My wife and I stayed there from 7 January until yesterday (4 February) 2009. We've had better breakfasts, but the worse thing was that they serve breakfast on the roof terrace, which is far too cold in the mornings (let alone when it rains) at this time of year. There is a Beber "tent", but you can't always get a seat in there. Pepople were eating breakfast in sweaters, coats,jackets, even gloves! Charming! The hotel has a restaurant, so why the hell can't they serve breakfast in there??? Eighty percent of the crockery was either chipped or cracked (or both), and some of the cutlery wasn't clean. There are blurbs all over the hotel to the effect that the mamagement are concerned with the comfort of their guests, so why make their breakfasts so uncomfortable?
The chambermaid that we had was not to be trusted: my spectacles dissapeared one day, they were in the room when she came to clean it, and were gone after she left. I complained to Reception and the maid came back to our room, disclaimed all knowledge of the glasses, and opened drawers etc. Personal items were moved and/or hidden on a fairly regular basis after that. A week later, the glasses "reappeared" on a wardrobe shelf where I would never have put them. Our bedside rugs dissappeared after about a week, and we never saw them again. On two days our room was not cleaned, nor beds changed, at all. My wife wanted to change some Sterling for Dirhams; when she asked the girl at Reception, she was told that it wasn't possible there, despite a large notice on the wall by the counter, saying "Change" in various languages.
The website is misleading: there is no indoor swimming pool, the pool is outside, and unheated at low season. There are sunloungers by the pool, but the high surrounding wall means that no sun reaches it at this time of year, the alternative being the uncomfortable metal chairs on the roof terrace.
There is no bar at the hotel, nor any Internet access. No alcohol is available in the (expensive) restaurant. The website advertises the room as having a minibar, we had to pay a hiring fee for ours to be unlocked when we arrived. There are three different categories of rooms here, we were unaware of that (ours was Standard). We stayed in Room 34.
I would give this hotel 3/10, and that's for the decor, and the helpful attitude of the majority of the Reception staff.

John & Pam Croker"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of February 2009

As soon as me and my partner landed, the...

Reviewed Thu 12th of June 2008

"As soon as me and my partner landed, the sunshine had just hit us, marrakech is a very unique city, full of people trying to get money off of you, alot of haggling and alot of very nice, safe people. This hotel made our experience even more exciting, cheap and fasanating. All staff were very helpful, especially a guy who looked abit indian and always said 'mere dil me, sharukh khan'!!! He was the funniest and always gave us tips to where to go, and where to buy a shisha pipe from. This hotel is also very close to the main square, the jemma el fenna and is close to other shops that sell bottled water, clothes etc. This is my advice, if i were you i would take it, if your looking to get excursions or going to the Arabian nights, stick with the hotel, its cheaper and offers you more than what you get from the other guides, even with atlas mountains, it was way more cheaper and we got to climb the waterfall, all inclusive. hope you enjoy and wish to stay at this hotel, was amazing, felt like a real holiday. also remeber to keep a french dictionary on you, apart from the hotel, and some people in the main square, no one speaks english, its really hard to communicate with hands, even the resturant menus are in french and dont expect morroccon lamb, they are more about their tangines which is vegetables with beef or chicken!! lamb is mainly found in the square."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of June 2008

Such a fantastic atmosphere

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"This is an absolutely fabulous hotel an absolute oasis of charm.
The staff are fantastic, the food is out of this world and as for the charm and atmosphere, it is hard to beat.
All the staff speak fluent english, nothing is ever too much trouble and every request is met with a smile and a friendly word.
The decor may to some seem over done but I found it just added to the charm.
There is a lot of building work going on around, but then again there is all around Marrakech but it doesn't disturb you, in fact watching the workmen hanging on flimsy platforms whilst eating breakfast on the roof terrace just gave a topic of conversation.
We upgraded to a suite which for the 5 nights cost us pennies but was well worth it and when I have chance to process the images (literally just arrived home an hour ago) I will post some room and hotel images.
Some may find the idea of sitting with strangers for evening meal unnecessary and I must admit on the 1st evening so did I but as the week drew on I realised that I actually looked forward getting back to share the days experiences with others, learning from them, seeing who got the best deals in the souks or which local excursions were worth doing - I think everyones vote was the visit to the berber village in the high Atlas, sitting at 7000ft in a berbers backgarden drinking mint tea will be an unforgetable experience or even having a snowball fight whilst the sun is beating down whilst wearing a Tee shirt!"

• Travel date: Mon 4th of February 2008

Arabian Nights

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Lovely Hotel...beautiful decoration. Staff very friendly and helpful, meals typical morroccan and really good......and good value. Picked the hotel because it looked good value for money on website and becuase it had a pool which unfortunately was empty and being cleaned an repaired so unable to use it. The Hamman was wonderful and the massage too very relaxing.. We originally got a room at the front of the hotel due to the ongoing building work at the back. However across the road is another hotel which has a cellar bar catering for moroccan men who came out in the early hours of the morning heavily under the influence of alcohol and making a lot of noise. The staff were great and we were moved to a room at the back which was good until the building work starts at around 7am...so please be aware of this if your light sleepers or hoping for a lie in!! Breakfast is a combination of breads, cakes, pancakes, crumpets and salad., with fruit juice and hot drinks. Its sufficient to keep you going...and there are cereals if your travelling with children! There is a small rooftop area where you can sit but unforntunately nowhere that you can lay down to sun yourself as the pool area is small and only gets the morning sunshine. If your doing lots of walking and sightseeing its nice to be able to chill and relax in the sun not being able to do that was something we found to be the only real downside to our stay. There are lots of good places to eat or just sit out and people watch, close by the hotel. And the main square is within walking distance about 15 minutes. Having given you this review as honestly as i can I still say that the hotel is a lovely place to stay and recommend it."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of January 2008

No star no quality just a cloud

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Bad experience, never again other hotels in the area cheaper and nicer. Expected a double for a single room had a joke two single and uncomfortable bed. At dinner setting everyone sits around a table. When we are faced by people we don't know we seem to lose our appetite and our food too. Not sure what satellite TV they are tuned too.
In overall it was clean the staff were nice and trying to sell a dead horse."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of January 2008

Lovely decor

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Lovely hotel with beautiful decor and friendly staff. The breakfast buffet is not very imaginative and it is a loooong walk to the Medina, however everything else was just perfect.

You can easily catch a taxi to the Medina for about 30 Dirhams. Do not buy anything from the local merchants on your first day there; take your time to ask around for prices, visit the market and see where the locals shop."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of January 2008

Great base for exploring Marrakech

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Morroccan House hotel after booking through an online travel agent. I took my parents as their Christmas present so we had two rooms, both being their 3* range.

On entering the hotel you really know you are in Morocco!!

Despite being both 3* bedrooms booked, they were entirely different in their feel and decor. Both rooms had two beds but one had a double bed and a single bed in so my parents had this room. The room I stayed in with my friend had two oversized four-poster single beds, which were extremely comfortable (and I wasn't expecting them to be!). We had a seating area between the two beds (at either end of the room) and the room was in a very Morroccan style. It even had a small balcony too!
Yes the rooms are basic in some respects (bathroom being the main area...although always had hot water), but look how cheap the price was!! There was air con in the room too!

We were half board so had both breakfast and dinner at the hotel (one night we ate at the Jeema el Fna which you really should do!)...what an experience. Breakfast was served on the roof terrace but you could also sit inside the Moroccan style tent. Yes everything was cold and involved a lot of bread and pastries...but then we were in Morrocco and that is all part of their diet. I think this was a great breakfast selection for the money and really helped you to know you were away from Western culture...just what was needed!
Dinner was downstairs off the central atrium (in the style of a traditional riad) around coffee-table height tables for 8 people. We were only a party of 4 so got to sit with others which I thought was a great concept and again helped to show you small parts of the Morroccan culture. The food was all very good quality and well cooked. There was a great variety of it too....couldn't believe that we got 5 courses!

The staff at the hotel were nothing short of exemplary! Always having a giggle with us and helping us out where needed. There was even a powercut at one point and the room attendant helped my mother down the stairs as it was dark.

In terms of location, I think the hotel was in a great spot. It was just a 15 minute walk from the Koutobia and the Jeema el Fna. It is also just around the corner from the start of the Sightseeing bus...well worth doing btw!

I was very pleasantly surprised with the Moroccan House hotel...I thought that for such little money we wouldn't get much...I am so glad this wasn't the case.

When I return to Morocco I will definately be looking to stay there again...and maybe try one of the 4* or 5* rooms!!

My final comment is to say that very foolishly my mother forgot to put her rings on one morning (3 gemstoned rings) and left them in full view in the room. I have stayed at hotels in the past and had things taken when these mistakes have occurred. Not at this hotel, they were still there in exactly the same place when we returned.

Never have I been anywhere and felt so safe...yes Marrakech is very busy and you get a few people dragging you into their shops, but on the whole the people are the nicest I've seen in a long time. If you acknowledge them and say non merci or bonjour/bonsoir they do appreciate it and then leave you alone...they just want people to be nice...like we all do!

Go to Marrakech and stay at the Moroccan House hotel!"

• Travel date: Thu 24th of January 2008

Good facilities uplifted by friendly staff and a great Moroccan theme!

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"The hotel is a very good 3 Star hotel rather than a good 4 star hotel. However this is not to say we didnt enjoy our stay.

Advantages

The hotel has a lovely moroccan feel - great for pictures!

Staff are extremley friendly and helpfull

Breakfast on the balcony was great in the sunshine!

Hotel has a good laundry service

Near the main square but without the expensive prices!

Disadvantages

Building work is still going on meaning we had to change our rooms to a room at the back.

Each room has 2 separate beds - they couldnt give us a room with one double bed!

The food menu was predominantly meat - more vegetarian options could of been given

Management say that items arent secure if left in room and to put everything in the safe. However there is a charge for the safe every day - i dont expect to pay for a safe in a 4 star hotel!

Location was in a slightly "dodgy" feeling area - however we never were in any trouble (moroccan people are pushy but nice)

Breakfast is all cold - could of done with toast and eggs!

Overall a great hotel for the price but dont expect all of the amneties of a good 4 star hotel!"

• Travel date: Sat 5th of January 2008

Loved it - lovely place, great value

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Stayed at Moroccan house for 3 nights in Dec 2007 and loved it. Very good value. The room we were given was not very large, but certainly enough. I understand the hotel has 3 categories (3, 4 and 5 stars), so I take it a 5-star room is quite different from the one we had.
The building is very nice and charming, decorated in the traditional Moroccan style, and so are the rooms. The hotel is clean and the staff are polite, helpful and very nice.
Breakfast was included in the price, even if it's nothing to write home about. It's served on the rooftop terrace, which is very nice!
Moroccan House Hotel is located in the Gueliz area, on the Ville Nouvelle (outside the walls of the old Medina). It's a quiet area at a stone's throw from Mohammed V avenue, the main passageway of modern Marrakech. Walking to the Medina takes about 15 minutes, or you can take a taxi for around 20 dirhams.
Absolutely reccomend this place!"

• Travel date: Tue 18th of December 2007

An unexpected delight

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"Through lastminute.com we booked a long weekend to include spa treatments. We weren't quite sure what to expect as the hotel is down a fairly nondescript side road but walking into the hotel was amazing - a feast of colours and an air of calm and tranquility. The staff were very welcoming and our en-suite room was spotless. Our beauty therapist was delightful and we enjoyed the luxury of a hamman, massage, facial, pedicure and manicure -all for about £65 - bargain!! Breakfast was taken upstairs on the roof terrace/tent and dinner, in one of several colourful and informal salons in the hotel. We stayed overlooking the front of the hotel and were not disturbed by noise. In fact we enjoyed our stay so much that we are recommending it to all our friends. And the best bit of all as it was a late booking... the TOTAL cost per person two nights half board was.... £18.00. I would be happy to pay much more to stay in this particular hotel!!"

• Travel date: Sat 15th of December 2007

Great theme

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"We've just come back from 4 days in Marrakech and chose this hotel because of the reviews we read.

It's location is great and it cannot be beaten for value for money. We stayed in a triple room for 3 nights, half board for £145 !

Breakfast was OK, but you need to get up around 0800-0830 to get there before the hordes of french who took al the cerial bowls to drink their tea from !

Evening meals were always interesting as you were put on a table with other guests who could speak your language. The food in the evenings was brilliant. Typical home cooked Moroccan things and 5 courses ! You could not be hungry after that, and if you were you could ask for more.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Rachid spent quite a while trying to show us how to reset the combination on the safe and the lady in reception telephoned my taxi company for me, using my mobile so I would not have to pay the hotel charge for the call. The staff at reception were always helpful and spoke very good English.

The hotel itself, as mentioned by the other guests is superbly decorated in the style of a Riad. Yes, the bathroom was in need of a major face lift and the beds were a little hard, but everywhere was spotlessly clean. In fact you could have eaten your dinner off every floor, including the entrance hall ! The heating / air conditioning in the bedroom was great and we did not need the extra blanket which had been supplied. 2 of our 3 beds were "princess" beds, with lace drapes to match. It really set the whole room off.

However, do remember that in December it is cold in the morning and evening in Morocco and bring a thick jumper for breakfast (on the terrace in a fabulous tent) and dinner (the dining rooms have no doors).

Do take advantage of the cheap "petite" taxis which charge 30dhm (£2) to go to the main square. We had a bit of a bad experience in a "grande" taxi who promised the same 30dhm but then asked for 50 when we got to the hotel ! We insisted on 30 and walked straight into the hotel. I would only ever go in a petite taxi again because although they are battered and drive like the whacky races, they were trustworthy. They all have a registration number written on the door and if they are reported for bad practises, they could lose their licence (the hotel told us this after the bad experience).

I would recommend Marrakech for a few days, but wouldn't stay for longer unless you plan to take excursions to the mountains or Essaouira. Also, brush up on your french as this is spoken by most of the locals as opposed to English."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of December 2007

Great weekend

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"9 of us spent last weekend at Hotel Moroccan House. The hotel interior is beautiful and the staff very charming and attentive. The only problems were the noise, from both inside and outside the hotel and the lack of fruit at breakfast. I would advise asking for one of the rooms at the back of the building, where, despite the noise of building work from 7.30am, the general noise levels are lower.
We enjoyed staying in the Gueliz area, which we found modern and less hassle than the souk, although not nearly so much fun. Beyrout, the Lebanese restaurant next to the hotel is excellent and serves alcohol. Solaris bistro is also excellent, with good service and food at realistic prices, though without alcohol. For lunch, the new cafe in the Majorelle Gardens is not to be missed.
The roads in the centre of the city are becoming a bit of a nightmare, and if you are planning to take a taxi from the main square, watch out for the rival taxi touts everywhere and the inflated prices."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of November 2007

Hotels near Moroccan House Hotel

Top traveller tips for Moroccan House Hotel

• paswonky by paswonky

"Rotisserie de la Paix, Chez Jack'Line:great restaurants. "

Moroccan House Hotel is also called