Unique Hotel!

Reviewed 7th November 2012

"My husband and I recently stayed at the Palais-Rhoul in Marrakech and had an amazing experience. We have stayed at many unique locations throughout the world, but Palais-Rhoul was like no other hotel we've ever stayed at. The service is great, the location ideal, and the hotel is absolutely beautiful. However, we did feel the hotel had aspects that could be improved. For example, the hotel only has two restaurants; one of which is strictly French and the other is strictly Moroccan. If you enjoy French or Moroccan cuisine, then you would have no problem with the food the hotel offers. Unfortunately, my husband and I didn't find either of the two restaurants tasty. My main problem with the Moroccan restaurant was that it had no menu. The hotel supposedly said this was so that the guests wouldn't be "restricted to a menu", but if you are not from Morocco, how do you know what Moroccan dish to ask for? A second drawback was that the beautiful pool the hotel has is not heated, so if you plan on staying at Palais-Rhould during the winter, you can forget about going into the pools--they are too cold! Also, we didn't check before booking our room, but not all rooms at Palais-Rhoul have a television; so if you like watching T.V. make sure to ask. Overall the hotel was beautiful and if you have no problem with eating only French or Moroccan food, then you will have a great time."

• Travel date: 8th January 2007

shame about the service and a few other little things

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"My family visited the Palais Rhoul over the New Year period and were very excited as we heard some amazing things about the place and were really expecting something out of this world considering the cost was double that of the Aman resort nearby (where I believe Hugh Grant was staying over the holiday season). We were not disaapointed with the decor and the dramatic venue. It was simply exquisite. But soon enough we started to see serious gaps or holes mainly in the service... It's amazing how the stuff that only takes minimum effort to get rights is the stuff that the Palais Rhoul gets wrong. For example: -in the middle of winter, no hot water in the morning in any of the rooms -the Darjeeling tent that my brother stayed in had cuts in electricity all night one night and therefore no electric heating -when he had no running water in the tent bathroom reception told him that if he waited a little bit of water would come out of the tap enough to wash himself with -the housekeeping was a little haphazard, constantly knocking on doors even though it was obvious people wanted to be left alone in rooms (did they not think of do not disturb signs?) -room service was slow, and often they kept going to the wrong room (me, instead of my parents). -when we needed someone to light our fireplaces we often had to wait over 40 minutes and twice, no one came at all to my room at all to do this. Some of the above would have been bearable had the service been a bit better. Pierre was lovely and as helpful as he could be, but he can't be everything to everyone- some of the other reception staff really have to sort out their act! They appeared at times unwilling to help and a little bit 'snotty' especially if our French was not particularly good or if we spoke English. A special mention has to go to one of the waiters though - Hassan, who was so kind and helfpul thrughout our whole time there. Truly attentive to our every need. The sad thing was we were on our way to the airport on the last day talking about the fact that the dramatic venue made up for the lack in other areas (just!), when a hysterical French woman rang my father accusing him of stealing a bath towel! Needless to say, whether we took one or not, what is five euros vs. the amount that we just paid for five people to stay there for a week! Pathetic...and left a sour taste in our mouths. Beware future visitors. If you want a beutiful place you have it. If it's service you are looking for...think again."

• Travel date: 5th January 2007

An Oasis with some disappointments

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"When we arrived, the staff were attentive and helpful and the whole place had quite a grand but very relaxing feel to it. The grounds extend to several acres which are beautifully kept and some of the rooms are arranged around a beautiful pool. Because we booked late, we only had the choice of the cheapest room which was lower ground floor with a view of some steps. The room was disappointing - not very big, had no flowers or fresh fruit and had a bathroom with a very uncomfortable bath. We have had better rooms in hotels costing one third of the price. The service was very average for the price of the hotel. A couple of times we asked for a drink or food and nothing appeared and we had to ask again. Not a major problem but just slightly niggly in a hotel of this price. We had a look at the poolside rooms and some of the tents. Without any question, pay the extra and stay in one of these, otherwise don't bother. The hotel restaurant, L'Abbysin, has a lovely atmosphere and good food and wine but the staff were clueless. I wouldn't eat here more than once - the choice of restaurants in the city is fantastic and the food more typical Moroccan. Not sure about the calor gas heaters spread around the hotel and restaurant - I would have thought there was a more stylish way to heat a hotel like this. Obviously this will only be a problem in the winter months."

• Travel date: 4th December 2006

Mixed Blessings

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"We were really excited when we booked our 3 nights at Palais Rhoul, especially after having read the excellent reviews about this hotel. In some respects it lived up to the positive comments and in other respects we found the hotel not up to standard. The Hotel is quite eccentric and beautiful, and our garden tent, Jasmine, next to the hammam was large, although quite dark inside, with some of the walls stained from condensation. The hotel has two restaurants, and the outdoor L'abyssin is a minimilist pleasure with superb service, which is more than can be said for the restaurant in the hotel; the service was shocking...one evening we waitied 45 minutes after having ordered our drinks. Breakfast is mediocre and anything that is not brought to you initially has to be paid for, e.g. eggs, which was a surprise. The hammam is great and I would recommend everyone to have the special treatment - it is quite an experience and great fun if you're a couple! Probably the most frustrating aspect of the experience was the fact that charges are in a combination of local currency and euros. If you are from the UK you cannot book on a card - it has to be by bank transfer which I think is ridiculous, had booked from France, cards would have been accepted. Once there you can pay by card, but the way the bill is calculated - Dirham to Euro to Pound - the exchange rates conversion means that someone gains and its not the clients! This is not a 5 star hotel and it would take some effort on behalf of the management team to reach those standards - it's the little things that annoy, sloppy service, bedroooms not cleaned properly, bad plumbing etc. Well worth a visit though."

• Travel date: 3rd December 2006

Wonderful place shame about the service!!

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Right from the time we thought about booking this holiday we had problems. If you live in the UK you cannot pay by debit or credit card only through bank transfer and at the hotels exchange rate. We opted to pay in Euro and had £25 charge but still cheaper than quoted price in sterling. Once we were there, we found it to be quite stunning although our tent Yasmine was very dark and humid. Not speaking French was a hinderance, as very few staff spoke english. First night we had dinner arranged by the pool ended up waiting 45min after being handed the drinks menu. and the dinner itself was a disappointment. The service overall was quite poor (room service particularly bad). L'abyssin restaurant was wonderful, food was great and service spot on, more than can be said for the main restaurant. We had a hammam treatment, definitely not for the faint hearted but a great experience nevertheless. The massages are equally impressive. The billing was very confusing at the hotel itself because euros and dirhams were used interchangeably, which was definitely not in our benefit! We would advise to always use dirhams. We discovered at check out we were charged extra for fried eggs at breakfast?!! We would think very carefully about returning to Palais Rhoul, and as a lot of the guests we spoke to said the service really lets this great place down!"

• Travel date: 20th November 2006

A unique experience

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"This was our first trip to Marrakech and we stayed 6 days at the Palais Rhoul for an unforgivable experience. We felt at home the minute we arrived: the atmosphere of the palais is unique with its architecture, decoration and fantastic inner and outer pools. The kindness of the staff is incredible, we always seemed to be their personnal guests. The nature is entering in the palais with trees, water and flowers and gives life to the multiple souvenirs of the Rhoul family travels. The pictures you will find on the internet site can give you a flavor of it, but the smell of the flowers around the pool at breakfast or a diner in front of the fireplace with the parfume of the "olivier" wood, is what you really need to experience! The traditionnal marocco hammam is excellent too with a very professional staff. We needed to relax after stressfull weeks at work and could not find a better way than letting the "maîtres" Ksell take care of us! The Abyssin, the second restaurant of the palais is a nice mix of modern and traditional styles and the food is fabulous. A special note about Pierre who did a really nice job providing us with advices to visit special places in Marrakech, monuments, shopping, and restaurants. He organized fantastic tours for us in the "Palmeraie" and desert in front of the Atlas with Quads and was always ready to challenge our special requests. A wonderful and rare sense of hospitality... This home is a must!"

• Travel date: 4th November 2006

Simply Perfect!

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"Having just arrived back from an amazing holiday in Morocco & feeling compelled by our luxury 3 night stay at Le Palais Rhoul, I wanted to post a review but find I am just repeating the sentiment of the previous reviewer. We simply can't gush about this hotel enough! The hotel, grounds & style are just beautiful, and Pierre (Manager) & his team provide the best service I have experienced at a hotel before. I understand why some reviewers have mentioned the poolside rooms (which are beautiful), but for us we were delighted with our romantic hideway - Tente Yasmine, which was a secluded suite with our own patio next to the Hamman. Whilst in Morocco we had lunch at Richard Bransons Kasbah Tamadot in the mountains and would recommend Le Palais Rhoul over and above for style & service."

• Travel date: 25th October 2006

Magical

Reviewed 7th November 2012

"I cannot praise this hotel enough. I am a world traveller but this hotel had something very special. The staff are wonderful even though it was Rammadan they were relentless, how would anybody be this charming serving food and drink to others when they have to go all daylight hours with not even a sip of water in that heat, it beats me. Pierre is the most fantastic manager you could ever wish for in a hotel, he is French but speaks perfect english he will help you with all aspects of a holiday, such care is taken to detail, he greets you on arrival and has mint tea with you while he explains everything there is to know about marrakech, he must be worth his weight in gold!!!! The ladies are always cleaning the rooms {which are divine by the way] we had a poolside room make sure you pay the extra it is worth it. The dining situation is unique you just tell them what you would like and it turns up,perfect no menues here this is real style. I most certainly cant wait to return if only to sit on those lovely sofas and have a chat and a glass of wine with our wonderful host Pierre! Do not feel threatened these are very gentle nice people living at peace in there unique situation. fantastic."

• Travel date: 2nd October 2006

exellent vacations

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"It was first time for me and my husband in Marrakech. We spent 5 beautiful days at Palais Rhoul. Very relaxing atmospher, exellent service, Spa and Hammam you will not forget - absolutely fabulos. We go back in October. I just recomended Wendy and Laurent"

• Travel date: 7th August 2006

Excellent, service et hotel magnifique

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed in your hotel last week and I just wanted to send you a quick message to let you know how much we enjoyed our stay at Le Palais Rhoul. Service from the staff was of the highest level and please pass on our sincere apologies to the night porter as we had no cash for a tip and he was extremely curteous, helpful and professional. The food that your chefs prepared for us each day was excellent, and your recommendation of places to eat were superb. We will definitely consider staying at Le Palais Rhoul in the future. Once again, thankyou for making our stay in Marrakech and enjoyable and relaxing one."

• Travel date: 30th July 2006

Hotels near Le Palais Rhoul & Spa

Le Palais Rhoul & Spa is also called

• Palais Rhoul Hotel
  • le palais rhoul hotel
  • le palais rhoul marrakech