About Le Meridien N'Fis

• paid wifi
  • tennis court

Good
( 1902 reviews)
Good

Le meridien n'fis I would say is more a...

Reviewed Tue 22nd of July 2008

"Le meridien n'fis I would say is more a 4* hotel than 5*. Overall it was a nice hotel until my sister's top got stolen from our hotel room...i am assuming it was one of the cleaners and when I complained they did nothing and said if it was valuable then it should've been locked in the safe...I mean who locks their clothes in the safe??!! At that point staff were very rude and unhelpful and did absolutely nothing to resolve the situation. Overall the facilities are good, bathroom was slightly dissapointing. Staff are friendly but speak limited english and as soon as something goes wrong, they just don't give a [--]!"

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of July 2008

Very enjoyable stay....

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"After reading many negative type reviews, I must admit to being rather aprehensive as to how I would find the hotel service etc., I really can't complain at anything. I understand it may not be full of children, so maybe it is more suited to adults, but the staff were very friendly - and goodness knows there are enough of them.
We only ate breakfast, and the choice could not be faulted, everything from fresh fruit and cereal to bacon, sausages, pastries, pancakes and omelettes. We rarely had the need for lunch and we did not overeat at breakfast. The only thing that would have made the rooms that much more enjoyable, would have been coffee and/or tea making facilities. There are a couple of restaurants and bars, just down the road, Caruso being a non alcoholic street cafe type restaurant with very good choice of food and really well priced. (So good, we ate there 4 out of 7 evenings)We had 3 pizzas, a spaghetti bol. 2 bottles of water and a bowl of frites for £12 !! I hasten to add they do serve tagines etc, which we ate other evenings and these are equally well priced. All in all a quietly placed hotel in a residential area, but the hop on hop off bus stops outside, and taxis are usually always available. I hope you enjoy the hotel as much as we did."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of May 2007

A bit naff, but if you have kids it's a good half way house

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"We have four kids under 7 and they are very noisy. This made a riadh out of the question as they need room to run about and we couldnt ruin the calm romance of the honeymooners etc... We picked the Meriden because it had a big pool and nice gardens.

Big pluses: Very nice staff on the whole, really lovely gardens, decent barbeque food at lunchtime, Dh30 taxi to the Djemaa el Fnaa, very child friendly, reasonable value

Big minuses: Rooms very basic, night time food a bit restricted esp for kids, pool quite cold in spring, a bit naff, not nearly enough sunbeds when crowded.

There you have it"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of May 2007

A good conference venue

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"I took a group of 35 managers to Marrakech for a conference earlier this year and we stayed at the Meridien N'fis.

The rooms were clean and spacious, the grounds immaculate and the food good. The buffet breakfast was particularly good.

It was too cool to swim in the pool but it looked very inviting!

The service was impeccable and I would say the price was about average for the large multinational hotels in the city.

It's within walking distance of the city centre and medina."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of April 2007

Great Hotel and Great Location

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We stayed at this hotel over the Easter (UK) school holidays for two weeks. I thought two weeks might be too long and that we wouldn't like the hotel, particularly after reading some of the reviews on this website. However, the hotel was great, check-in was easy and the room was large but functional.

There are three different wings of rooms but the hotel doesn't feel too large or crowded. The gardens are huge and full of orange trees, flowers and lots of grassy areas, which are ideal for the younger kids. There is even a sandy play area with climbing frames, swings etc. Both the main and children's pool were lovely but definitely NOT heated and the water was very cold although this didn't bother the children.

This hotel is very popular for Events and Conferences and although the lobby was very busy on some days the advantage was that the pool area was quiet during the day. Some previous reviewers commented that the staff were rude and aggressive but throughout our holiday the staff were very approachable and friendly and service was very good.

Some tips:
1) Breakfast is 170MAD (about £11) per person and you get a great buffet but 3 minutes walk outside the hotel (turn right outside reception) there are two great restaurants that also serve breakfast (Moroccan, European or American) for around 35MAD (about £2.25) per person.
2) A taxi (petite taxi) costs only 20MAD (about £1.25) to the main square.
3) A 1 hour ride on a horse and carriage (safe and comfortable) costs around 100MAD (about £6) and is a good way of seeing a few sights at a slower pace.
4) There is a very good open top bus ride around the city which takes about 1:30 hours to complete the circuit and the kids love it. It is expensive (for Morocco) at 130MAD per adult and 65MAD per child but provides a different view of the sights. There is a stop right outside the hotel so you can't get lost. Buy tickets from the Concierge or on the bus.
5) We hired a car for two days and the driving was no different to many other places I have driven, ie drive as the locals do but don't take risks. A trip to Essouria on the coast is definitely worth the 2:30 hours drive as is the drive up the Atlas mountains and takes about 2 hours. The road outside the hotel goes all the way to the highest point in the mountains where you can get a ski lift to the very top. A fantastic trip that takes you from 90 degrees upto the snow level on a very winding but beautiful road through Berber villages. If you do go, there are plenty of places selling rugs, pottery, sculptures etc and lots of places to buy food and drink. Please take some pens, pencils, writing pads etc as the people in the mountains are very poor and giving the children some basic items for schooling is really appreciated.

Hope all this information is useful and enjoy your trip."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of April 2007

Good but expensive

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"A nice clean hotel but very expensive. Restaurant prices are on a par with the UK.
There are restaurants a few minutes walk from the hotel which
are much cheaper.
No tea / coffee making facilites in the room.
Minibar was empty.
Swimming Pool not heated and very cold.
Beautiful gardens and Pool area.
Breakfast was very good with every taste catered for.
Beware of changing Dirhams at the airport as once you have gone though passport control there is no exchange facility and the Duty Free only accepts Euros or credit cards.
They will not accept Moroccan Currency.
A nice holiday spoilt by niggling problems."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of April 2007

Not a 5 star and very over priced

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We stayed in this hotel over the Easter weekend and had a fairly good experience, however I did leave feeling like I had been ripped off at times and I wouldn't stay here again.

My biggest gripe was with a lunch buffet that was available by the pool, we decided to go for the buffet which we were told was 160 dirham (about £10) per person, however once we sat down with our food the waiter told us that the price of 160 dirham was for the cold buffet only and because we also had hot food it would cost 280 dirham (about £17.50), all of the food was laid out next to each over and it was certainly not clear that we would be charged even more just for having some hot food, in my eyes a buffet is a buffet and you should be able to help yourself to whatever is laid out. There were probably about another 8 tables that fell for the exact same trick and the waiter had to go round to each table explaining this which some people were not happy with. Drinks are also excessively expensive, we had two cokes with the buffet and were charged 60 dirhams (£3.75) each meaning that two plates of average buffet food and two cokes cost me about £42.50.

In terms of service I got the impression that the staff couldn't really be bothered with you unless they thought they could get a tip out of you. When we got to the room our safe was locked because the previous occupants hadn't left it unlocked, I phoned the front desk on 3 seperate occassions for someone to come and unlock it but nobody ever did, I gave up on this after a while. I also phoned the front desk twice to get an extra pillow, again they said they would sort it out but they never did, I eventually managed to get a spare pillow from approaching the maids directly.

Enough of the moaning though, there were some good points to this hotel, mainly being...

1.The location is good, it is outside of the hustle and bustle of the Medina and is quite a nice place to retreat after a hectic day out.
2. The rooms are fairly good, however they are more 4 star than 5 star standard.
3. The maids were very good and very friendly.
4. The gardens and grounds are very good.
5. The pool is nice although it is very cold and doesn't have enough sunbeds.

Overall it is not a bad hotel but if you do stay here don't expect 5 star service like the Le Meridien website suggests it is and also be careful that you don't get ripped off like I did."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of April 2007

Too easily criticised

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"We (my wife and i) would have preferred a Riad in Marrakesh because of the inevitable 'internationalise' of the hotels outside of the city. But, since the riads were full, we went with some trepidation having read some fearsome reviews of this hotel.

Being part of a group, OF COURSE it is not like being in any particular country or town. An atmosphere prevails that could make it absolutely anywhere and some of the clients evidently prefer that, hardly leaving the hotel. Beats me why they go there.

Having said all that, this hotel has elegance. It is NOT dirty (one review), the pool is lovely (not small) and doesn't need heating if you are not a natural moaner.

It is a 20-minute walk to the main square and taxis are a reasonable $3 (with the usual barter). The lunchtime food was really poor - tasteless and badly presented - but the main restaurant is good, if overpriced.

Breakfast is a generous choice, even for fat Westerners.

None of our misgivings were born out. If you're going for corporate-type hotels, out of choice or not, don't pretend that you're sampling the country. Just accept it for what it is: a good hotel. Not as horrific as the Sofitel which breathes of nothing but
bathroom freebies and musac and does little to make you feel there is any interest in Morocco at all."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of April 2007

Peaceful and calm and away from the bartering

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"Read the reviews before I went and pretty much got what I expected.

The Meredien N'Fis is ranked 5* on the basis of it's facilities. It's bog standard corporate hotel, but is peaceful, the gardens are beautiful and the pool area is nicely laid out too (although the temperature was a bit too cool for me). I went with a girlfriend and we had a nice twin room on the top floor, with a view towards the Medina. It had two arm chairs, a table area, and a good desk (as I needed to study).

We were on a B&B basis and have to state that we were really impressed by the buffet on offer (if our waistlines weren't!) Having had bet on what it would be (tinned fruit, crap-cornflakes florescent yoghurt, processed ham) what you get is fresh fruit (ok a couple of bits were tinned, but there was a vast choice), 10 different cooked options (including some traditional morrocan), breads, cheeses, ham, pastries - it really was amazing and we never really needed to eat lunch.

Biggest complaint about my holiday are the rip-off taxis. Whatever you do, don't take what the guides say to heart. You will never get a taxi for 6DH, nor will you be charged 60DH from the airport. They size you up and charge you what they fancy according to where you are staying. We got kicked of a taxi twice because we refused to pay the inflated prices (20DH before 8pm and 30DH after 8pm). What makes it even more annoying is that when you leave the Medina after a nice meal, they chase you for your business, then quote you these ridiculous prices. I think we managed to get a guy to put his meter on twice in the week we were there. Shame really, the taxis aren't expensive, but I do object to being treated like I am a fool."

• Travel date: Sat 31st of March 2007

Hidden Charges and Extortinate Prices

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Gardens Beautiful, Rooms were clean and comfortable.
Prices were extortinate when considering the competition and economics of the country. Also it is not a 5 star hotel, e.g. Room Air Conditioning doesn't exist it is a fan system (hot air in winter, cooler air in summer).

Few English speaking staff in the hotel, French language and guests predominate.

Maid actually knocked on our room door one evening to ask for her tip as she was off on the day we would have left.

Hidden charges !! Beware the courtesy bus to the airport there is actually a charge that is double the cost of a taxi fare for the same journey. Staff of course do not tell you this and you are only aware of it when the driver asks for the money at the airport."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of March 2007

the very best hotel near the medina

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Its ranking (#45) is not entirely fair for this excellent hotel because most higher ranked hotels are riads in the medina which can be difficult to compare. The hotel is located on the corner of the avenue de la Menara and blvd. Mohammed VI. It is about 10 minutes walking to the western gate of Bab El Jdid and another 15 minutes to the place Jemaa El-Fna.
It was renovated a few years ago. Our DLX room had a view of the Atlas mountain, there is no building between the avenue de la Menara and the Atlas mountain. It was a spacious room with plenty of lights. The bathroom with one sink, tub and foot-bath was spotless. A varied buffet breakfast is offered. Dinner at the EL Menzeh was tastefully prepared, certainly the appetizers and desserts. Service at the reception, the concierge or in the restaurant is customer friendly. There is plenty of greenery with a garden with a fountain alley to the EL Menzeh, palm trees and flowers and a large (unheated) pool.
An airport transfer can be arranged for DH 100."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of March 2007