Good

Tops, based on my 88 countries (so far)

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"We visited this hotel as part of a luxury tour and were expecting it to be great. Well, it exceeded our expectations. Reading the other reviews, it's hard for me to understand who would not rate La Sultana as 5 stars. Superb in every respect, included service, interiors, room creativity, and dining experience. Our visit to Morocco was my 88th country, so I have a pretty good basis for comparison. Other highlight on the trip was Richard Branson's "Kasbah Tamadot" which also rated tops with us. You can't go wrong with La Sultana, and we'll treasure our memories of the two nights there."

• Travel date: 23rd November 2006

The good ...and the not so good

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"Stunning building, fabulously quiet, yet right in the mix of Marrakech. If you haven't been to this city, you must. But there is a but. We had a suite, possibly their largest, yet the dining room, lounge area and bedroom were all one, albeit large, area. This was not idea with two yound children who go to sleep early. Fine, but at over £500 per night B&B I would have expected more. The options too for childrens food was very poor, and we could not get them to cook anything off-menu (eg pasta). Again not what you would expect from a place priding itself as one of the great hotels of the world. Room service, and especially the wine was very expensive too. The restaurant too was rather over-priced (c.£40 a head for nice, but not particularly special meal), and the breakfasts very dull. That said, we had no other problems. The staff were always friendly, organised everything we ask them to regarding trips etc, and were very kind (food aside) to our kids, in a generally kid-free environment. The pet turtles too were a big hit! It was a great (be it pricey) experience, but 6 days was enough..."

• Travel date: 21st September 2006

Stunning!

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"I've never been to a hotel which felt so intimate before and Le Sultana offers guests the feeling of being in a private home rather than an anonymous hotel. The decor and surroundings are stunning, from the trickling fountains at every turn to the lavishly decorated rooms and the rose petals strewn across the bathrooms. The outdoor pool is a real oasis away from the heat although felt a little small at busy times but the spa and hammams are both romantic and lavish as you could wish for. We found the service friendly and kind but not on a par with that you might expect in the UK in a similar standard of hotel. However what we did get was a real interest in our day, personal help and advice that you'd never get at home and loads of extra info about Marrakech you would never get if you just followed the guide books. Book Mustapha who is listed on p66 of The Rough Guide to Marrakech as your guide - not only is he amazingly cheap, but he's a kind, genuine man who knows everyone and welcomes you to his home city as if you're an old friend. He made the trip even more special for us. Oh, and ask the hotel staff what to pay for things before you start hitting the markets, They saved us a lot of hassle and money! This is a lovely hotel and you simply must visit if you want to see real Morocco. Big hotels there are a plenty in Marrakech - mainly in the old French quarter of town, but you'll get the same old rooms that you get everywhere else in the world and will miss out on a truly wonderful experience."

• Travel date: 27th July 2006

La Sultana- Shabby Service from Owners to Spa Staff

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"Pretty on the outside, not much else to offer. The grounds and decor at La Sultana are spectacular! It really was beautifully designed and would be a magical oasis........except for one thing.......the service! Many of the staff were friendly and meant well, others were simply rude. But the consistent pattern among all who worked there was a lack of competance. We recieved more gracious and helpful service in a tent in the middle of the desert! Terrible service highlights: 1. The front desk failed to notify me (for days!) that a piece of artwork I purchased was at the front desk. Only after several outside phone calls was I able to track it down. The person who delivered it to the hotel was very clear with the front desk about my name, that I was leaving the country in a few days, so please get it to the room right away, etc. The front desk staff promised to deliver it to my room immediately. I think that if I had not persistently confronted the front desk about the painting, they would still have it. 2. The constant loud chatter and inattentive spa staff which detracted from the relaxation factor. 3. The failure to give wake-up calls which was critical on our last morning since we were leaving on an early flight. 4. The frequent promises to call a taxi if we requested one, followed by the failure to actually do it. This happened as we were trying to get to the airport and turned into a big hassle. 5. The front desk wrongly charged us almost $1000 in fees for services that we did not partake of..... and refused to take them off of the bill! 5. MOST IMPORTANALY, the refusal of the manager or either of the owners to be accountable, appologize or otherwise attempt to ameliorate the situation was appalling. Not a gracious couple. Good with paint and fabric swatches, not so good with people."

• Travel date: 7th July 2006

La Sultana - a true oasis

Reviewed 21st October 2012

"Have just returned from a long weekend in Marrakech - first time visit - and it poured with rain for 3 of the 5 days but the saving grace was La Sultana: a true oasis in the midst of soggy, crazy, colourful, noisy Marrakech! The service and friendliness of all the staff was impeccable and truly saved our holiday given the dreadful weather we experienced. The boutique nature of the hotel, the beautiful design, the charming and friendly employees from Manager to Chief Receptionist to housekeeping staff leads me to rate La Sultana as one of the best hotels I have stayed in anywhere in the world. I never thought I would say that a hotel equalled or bettered the service you expect at somewhere like the Mandarin in HK or the magnificent Alvir Palace in Buenos Aires but this one certainly came very close. I certainly do not agree or understand one of the earlier reviewers - all I can think is that someone must have had an off day! I was delighted to be surprised by Marrakech in every sense - and it certainly assaults all five! Everybody we came into contact with from the snake charmers, to the carpet sellers to the man in the street exclaiming "fish and chips" whenever it became clear that we were English and lost were friendly and helpful. What a change to be accosted and not feel in any way threatened..took some getting used to! I even managed to raise my camel value to 30 having been offered a meagre 3 to start the bidding! The restaurants were a real treat - the decor at Dar Yacout was fabulous although the food was just OK - the food and atmosphere at Le Tobsil was well worth the visit but our top restaurant was Le Comptoir for food and fun - and cocktails out under the candlelight and stars. The belly dancers might seem a little touristy but they were stunning and very professional and, frankly, totally part of the atmosphere - you'd have been disappointed if they hadn't been there. Special mention for Saida and Adil at La Sultana who were just superb in their helpfulness, kindness and good nature. Anyone who can put up with our incessant pleading for positive weather forecasts and my sense of humour deserves a medal!! And to have our soaking wet muddy clothes washed, dried, pressed and delivered to our room in 2 hours was miraculous! Please visit La Sultana - it is an experience not to miss. Enjoy!"

• Travel date: 2nd May 2006

Fantastic

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"My husband and I had a fantastic holiday at La Sultana in October (during Ramadan). The weather was perfect and the city amazing. We arrived rather late at night due to a delay at Gatwick, we were escorted up a passage off a busy street. A huge wooden door swung open and the scent of sandalwood wafted out. The staff were very welcoming and showed us to our room, it was called Peacock. I had no idea that the room was in a courtyard, until I opened the shutters the next morning and saw little birds drinking at a petal filled basin in the centre of the courtyard. Our room was amazing, a fantastic bath, dvd/cd player, wine, free soft drinks, fruit and loads of rose petals – even down the loo! You don’t have any windows on to the outside world – but that’s what you get if you book a riad. Though there were comfy seats in these courtyards, if you wanted to curl up with a book. The rooftop terrace was certainly a place to see the world go by in the streets below, much better than Eastenders, there was also all day service, lovely club sandwhiches, cups of tea etc. In the afternoon storks would fly overhead to roost on the roof tops. The service was impeccable – not intrusive at all, the staff were lovely and helpful, the food perfect and good sized helpings. The only complaint was the pool, which appeared to be refrigerated, but did look lovely. The people of Marrakech were really friendly - we were ripped off on a few occasions, but no more so than in Greece. In fact, we had some quite humbling experiences, when we thought that we were , when we weren’t, if you know what I mean! We had nothing stolen, did get lost lots of times, no tummy ache, perhaps worryingly – no bottom pinching. I have read some poor reports on this site – I’m not sure what these people are looking for – perhaps I’m easily impressed, but I am used to staying at 4 and 5 star hotels and this was exceptional as it was so different, the rooms and service excellent, don’t let these reports worry you."

• Travel date: 7th January 2006

Overrated,overpriced with incompetent staff

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"La Sultana is one of those hotels you ooh and ahh for your first hour and then when you get down to the niity gritty are disappointed.Hotel is the arabian nights childhood fantasy of the french owners.Decorated to perfection.However as previous guests have stated the staff is not competent and poorly trained though they are friendly especially by marrakesch standards.Beds are uncomfortable and pillows are made of steel.Shower has poor pressure and leaks.Room already started to show signs of being worn.Also hotel is in an area of town that is far from anything and fairly seedy. Marakesch itself is good for a day or two and thats about it.Not much for the well heeled travellor. Overrall skip this hotel and skip this city.The world is a big place and if you are visiting africa try Egypt,Israel,Kenya,Tanazania,South Africa etc---all have much more to offer than overrated marrakesch(unless you are french and on one of those cheap package holidays escaping the french winter--seemed to represent the majority). Also the breakfast and dinner was very average at best and at 365 euros a night for the cheapest room--very overpriced.Stay at the soffitel instead if you are visiting this city."

• Travel date: 6th December 2005

We loved it!

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"Atmospheric, relaxing and with very good service, we thought La Sultana lived up to our expectations. After a hot and dusty journey we were greeted with a seat in a cool courtyard and served mint tea before filling out the invevitable paperwork. We were then shown down lantern-lit corridors with sandlewood hanging in the air to our room. The food was fresh, the hotel was spotlessly clean and we found the service to be excellent - this must be something they have addressed since earlier reviews. This is not a big 'business' hotel, far from it. There is no trouser press, lift music or keycard locks (thank goodness!). Being a converted riad however, some of the rooms are quite small and suffer from a lack of privacy; perhaps check when you're booking. The pluses eclipsed any minuses though. It is in a fantastic location to explore the old city on foot and there is some wonderful attention to detail. Rose petals on floor and towels in the bathroom, mist to cool the air as you breakfast at the roof restaurant, and a tranquil peace which sits over the whole hotel. We will be returning."

• Travel date: 8th October 2005

Fantastic Experience at the la Sultana

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"We have just returned from staying at the La Sultana. It was a real escape and a fantastic experience. The hotel has an immaculate focus on details and the interior design offers an exceptional mixture of traditional Moroccan with modern touches – straight out of a coffee table book! The pool is bigger than it looks on the website, the roof-terrace is spacious and we found the food good – especially the breakfast. Only down side was that the room (which did have an amazing bathroom with a huge tub) sis feel a little claustrophobic as it was on the ground floor and looking into the central yard, and we could therefore not leave the blinds open. Oh, and its also a little pricey, but apparently not for Marrakech standards as we discovered!"

• Travel date: 27th September 2005

Stunning!!

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!! My husband and I enjoyed a totally relaxing, calm and very beautiful 2 night stay - in the best riad in Marrakech. The service is faultless and the breakfast on the terrace is unforgettable. I'd urge anyone considering visiting Marrakech to stay here - you will not be disappointed."

• Travel date: 30th August 2005