About Kasbah Caracalla

• shuttle bus service
  • babysitting

Good
Good

Beautiful views but badly managed

Reviewed Tue 24th of March 2015

"This hotel has a great view but the management was questionable. Worst breakfast I've had in a hotel... Everything was out of a tin or carton, a part from the bread but processed cheese and carton juice seems like an offense in Morocco where the produce are always so fresh.
The manager actually refused to give us an extra blanket on a cold night ( 5 degrees) and told us to leave the heating on!
The rest of the staff were ok, but not worth its 4 stars for sure!
Oh and blood stain on the pillow cases and more odd looking stains on the blankets..."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of March 2015

Truly appaling

Reviewed Fri 1st of July 2011

"Beautiful location, nice pool. This hotel makes many false claims about their facilities and level of service. Compare a few booking sites to see. Claims to be 4* but Moroccan 4*, believe me very different to any 4* hotel I've stayed in. The manager is rude, arrogant and unwilling to take any criticism, constructive or not. Poor, untrained staff, go from pleasant but not very competent to out and out hostile. They disappear and you can send a long time waiting for them to show up. Approaching some of them (especially when they are watching soap operas in the lobby) can be a very intimidating experience. We were treated as if we were imposing when we asked for the simplest thing, snarled at and finally directly insulted. We were polite and undemanding at all times. The hammam was not very good and vastly over priced. Make sure you agree the price first and get the treatment you are going to be charged for. Food was ok, but again very expensive compared to elsewhere in Marrakech and no choice. Just try looking for a menu! There is an eight hour gap between lunch and dinner. Try ordering a drink and watch them up the prices in front of you and charge the new price retrospectivally(this really happened!). The breakfast was the same everyday. The beds were hard and noisy. Sound echos through the hotel. Everything there is 4* star prices comparable to a London hotel, in price only! Never experienced such bad service in my life. I advise people to stay away. Don't be fooled, a waste of our hard earned money and an awful honeymoon! Truly an appaling service."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of June 2011

Reviewed Tue 14th of June 2011

"We were extremely excited when we found out we were going to spend our honeymoon at the Kasbah Caracalla. The pictures looked lovely online. We read that the rooms had a minibar, safe and that there was a roof top restaurant and a snack bar. When we got there, we found that it did indeed look nice but unfortunately, it had misrepresented itself online. Our room didn’t have a safe or a mini bar. There was no roof top restaurant and no snack bar. In fact, apart from the allotted meal times, food was not served at any other time of the day. Dinner was not until eight so we often felt hungry in the afternoons. However, I digress; this was just the start of our problems.
On arrival, we expected even a bunch of flowers in the room as it was our honeymoon. There was nothing at all, not a particularly warm welcome. The pool was lovely and the hotel itself was in picturesque surroundings so we decided to make the best of it. We did enjoy sunbathing and swimming and the beautiful gardens. The hotel is quite isolated. This wasn’t a problem for us as we wanted to get away from it all. However, we had assumed that as it rated itself as four stars, it would have all the facilities we needed. This wasn’t the case. They have a captive audience and therefore charge what they like for the food and drink, in our case, putting up the prices when they found out what we liked. For example, a beer started out at 40 dirhams or about four euro (this was for a can of local beer that was a euro in the supermarket.) Surprise, surprise, after a few days this was put up to 50 dirhams. Dinner was nice but it was overpriced for what it was and there was no menu.
The theme of overpricing continued when we booked massages in the hammam. I went to the desk and booked two massages. I explained that we wanted them about twelve o’clock. We were amazed when 12 o’clock came and went and two other guests were ushered in ahead of us. We didn’t go in until about three. When we did, we were given no option of the massage we wanted even though there was a price list in the lobby. The massage was perfunctory. When we asked how much it cost we were told 500 dirham which (amazingly!) just happened to be the most expensive treatment. The result was we were charged 100 euro for two massages which were adequate at best. I’d expect to pay less in England and Ireland.
By this time, we were about five days into the holiday and were starting to feel very uncomfortable. I felt like a walking cash cow. It made me very angry as I think it’s the wrong way to view tourists. Tourists work hard for their money and they should be given value for it just like any local. We were being exploited.
When we asked for drinks at the pool, they were brought out reluctantly. If alcoholic drinks are disapproved of then why serve them? If they are being served then they should be served properly. I asked for a cocktail which was on the menu at one point and the waiter didn’t know what it was. For the money we were paying, the service was dreadful. I must point out here that my husband and I are not particularly demanding people. While lying by the pool, we would occasionally ask for a beer every two or three hours. This is not loutish or rude behaviour and we were extremely polite to the staff. Nevertheless, we were made to feel that we were imposing and being too demanding.
On line, it also says they have a 24 hour reception. That makes me laugh. Almost every time I went into the reception, there was no one there. One of the staff was particularly rude, looking me up and down, making me feel uncomfortable. The final straw came when I made a polite request for service at the pool and she snarled at me in the rudest way imaginable. She did this while a few cleaners looked on laughing. It’s a pretty dreadful way to be treated.
My husband and I left three days early as a result. Not a good experience. When we paid the bill, she ripped our receipt in our faces. They later promised to give us back the money for the last three nights. This never materialised.
They are definitely not four stars by European standards. They should either lower their prices to equal their services or vastly improve the service to come into line with their pricing. Either way, we won’t find out because we definitely won’t be going there again.

• Travel date: Mon 13th of June 2011