Good

Didnt even make it there

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"I tried to book Mogador despite the warnings, they emailed me back a couple of times, but then just before i was going to send them a deposit i emailed them checking it was the right amount...

A couple of days passed with no reply, i emailed again - still nothing. I started emailing everyday for a few days desperate for somewhere to stay and still NOTHING. i am now going to stay in riad ariha. This took under a minute to book and confirm and they took no money off me for doing so."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of July 2007

Cant go wrong for the price!

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Just got back from staying at the Jnane Mogador for 7 nights and would highly recommend it.

The location is ideal, really close to the Djemaa el fna, so everything is within walking distance.

Unfortunately when we booked they only had a twin room for a few days and a double room for the rest so we had to change half way through the week but it was completely hassle free.

The rooms were basic but had everything we needed. Staff were friendly and helped us book excursions which worked out cheaper than going directly with the tour company.

The only problem we had was when checking out, their card machine had been broken for several days. Not sure if this is a common problem, but there is a cash machine a few minutes walk away.

Overall we both really enjoyed our stay."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of June 2007

Highly Recommended!

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"Jnane Mogodor is a beautiful traditional riad and is in a fantastic location just a few minutes away from the famous Djemaa el fna square with its surrounding souks and not far from interesting museums and palaces.

This riad is peaceful and homely. The staff are helpful and friendly and the food is very good.

It was lovely to sit on the terrace in the evening watching the sun set over the Medina and listening to the mystical sounds from the square

We also enjoyed a lovely massage in the Mogodor Spa after a long hike in the Atlas mountain!

A truely memorable stay in a lovely riad."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of June 2007

Jnane Mogador....Happy Days....

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"My friend and I have just returned from a fantastic first visit to Marrakech, what a superb, friendly and beautiful city.

Our accommodation was exquisitely charming in every sense. The location of the Jnane Mogador was ideal (not five minutes from The Jemaa el Fna, making it very central, handy for snake charmers, fortune tellers, tooth pullers and the like!!); we booked independently and on-line, there was only a slight delay with payment confirmation and the reservation itself, but no more than you would expect when booking budget accommodation especially in a city like Marrakech.

The staff at the Riad were very helpful, welcoming on arrival and throughout our stay, the room was more than adequate in size for a twin, simple, decorated in a traditional Moroccan style, very nice and basic. It had everything you would want or need, a shower, hot water, TV, telephone and beds, what else do you need when you are in a city like Marrakech, the Jnane Mogador suited our needs perfectly, it was somewhere to sleep, freshen up and change of an evening. Excellent value for money, we shall be returning, and recommending the Jnane Mogador to all of our friends."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of March 2007

Perfect! Perfect! Perfect! I'm going back!

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"I booked the Jnane Mogador by sending an email. The response was fairly prompt. After reading the reviews on here, I was a little worried about giving my credit cards details to the hotel, to take one night's payment as a deposit to secure the room. I needn't have worried at all! No problem whatsoever.
The hotel is lovely. The guys who run the hotel are great.
Our room was lovely -spotlessly clean and comfortable. We booked a twin room. (We booked the trip to celebrate my friend's 30th birthday). It had a bathroom with a good shower; there's a wardrobe area, then you go through the beautifully embroidered, beaded voile into the bedroom - two beds, and bedside cabinets, a dressing table and mirror, and a corner display stand with TV and phone.
The staff were helpful, friendly and polite. The riad has a really pretty central court area with a fountain. There is a terrace on the top floor, which was quite nice, but the views were limited, and a gorgeous lounge (which we never used as we were out the whole time).
My friend and I booked ourselves into the hotel hammam for a Berbere hammam (a scrub down with black soap and a brillo pad - not really!) and a massage. The hammam was interesting and enjoyable. The massage was excellent and very professional - but beware, the masseur was male (we didn't know this) and there was no room for modesty!
I loved the Jnane Mogador. It is the perfect place to stay. It's less than a hundred yards away from the main square, in the heart of the medina. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.
I couldn't believe the cheap price. In this instance, you get so much more than you pay for. I will definitely be going back with my partner."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of March 2007

Good Value

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"bit worried by other comments seen on trip advisor. sent 500Dh in advance, rang the riad and confirmed booking. all fine. it is not an easy place to find first time and the map on the website could do with more detail. locals showed us the way. This was a very good value place to stay. Our room no 110 was on outside of building so late night people passed under the window. for us it was local colour and no one is removed from the early morning call to paryer. We stayed end Feb early March and the room coped with the cold nights and hot days.
Recommended"

• Travel date: Mon 5th of March 2007

GO FOR IT !

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"Having read other reviews of this hotel I was a little nervous about going to Jnane Mogador but I would like to set everyones mind at rest! It is a lovely hotel with a beautiful roof top garden which overlooks the whole of Marrakesh we have just come back 29th December and it was warm enough if you set on the terrace with a t shirt on, though walking about I would advise a jumper and a coat at night. The hotel rooms are small we had a quadrouple room and it was small with no window, but you just have to walk upstairs to the first floor to be in the fresh air. The riad staff are very nice especially the kitchen and cleaning staff. It is good value for money and you are literally two minutes from the Square where everything is going on.

I would advise that you have breakfast in the square there is a cafe I forget the name, just at the bottom of the little alleyway leading to the riad where you can breakfast for a pound! Pancakes, orange juice croissant and a coffee or omlette with coffee and orange juice or bread and cheese with a croissant.

Marrakesh is very busy and a little overwhelming at times, it is hard to get a taxi as well but I think that was because of the religious holiday.

In the riad they serve a good tagine but the menu is limited. I would recommend Chez chogrouni in the square which is again very cheap. We found a lovely chinese in the new town called Dragon D'or - we also went to a fabulous indian restaaurant called Salam Bombay, which is a lovely setting but a little pricey and the staff were somewhat snooty.

I did have trouble booking Jnane Mogador i.e it took a lot of emails to finally book it but I think that is the communication problem unless you speak good french. All in all I would recommend the riad. Also there is good movie chanel in the hotel if you want some peace and quiet away from the crowds.

Any questions dont hesitate to drop me a email."

• Travel date: Sat 30th of December 2006

so far ...not convinced that I am going to be staying there

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"Hello to all readers..please be aware when booking with Jnane Mogador.

They took £26.00 from me and never booked/reserved my room and I never heard back from them.

I should have known from the beginning, things were not running smoothly. I e-mailed the hotel in August to book a room for December for 7 days. For me it is very important that this runs smoothly and that all is perfect as this trip is planned as a surprise for my partner but it also has to be done on a budget.

They e-mailed me by saying that they could only take booking up to 3 months prior. So beginning October I e-mailed them again with my request and they sayed they only had a twin room left, still that is better than nothing.

E-mail after e-mail that go to nowhere, I finally managed to explain to the guy, a certain Mr Hicham Houdiz the days that I wanted to stay there. Finally got the prices and ways to send a payment (credit card details - which is a no go instantly or moneygram). I hear you say what is Moneygram? I thought the same too at the beginning, it is a way of sending money abroad via Thomas Cook offices. i did so last wednesday, and since no news from Mr Houdiz that he got my payment or/and that my room is still booked.

I have a really bad feeling about this riad, and I won't be staying there if I don't hear something in a few days, I am sure he has cashed in £26.00 (+£12.50 moneygram fee) and I bet he is smiling as we speak, well, I am not!

DON'T STAY THERE!"

• Travel date: Sun 5th of November 2006

A REAL GEM

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

".
I have been staying at this riad for many years...and after reading some of these reviews i find it hard to believe there talking about the same place. I have always been so happy there,and i find the staff wonderful.I have never had a problem with making a booking,and find it a very friendly atmosphere.The rooms are comfortable,also with heating and t.v and the internet is good to have at hand.The Roof terrace is great with wonderful views all around..and also the breakast is good.I actually cant talk more highly of this riad and i've been travelling in Morocco for many years and stayed in many other places.A great price..and a real gem!!"

• Travel date: Wed 25th of October 2006

Great Location, quiet courtyard, great roof-terrace

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"I must admit I was a little bit worried after reading some of the reviews on this site about this riad. However, my friend and I stayed for three nights in October 2006 and we had a very enjoyeable stay.

It is quite difficult to find the place at first, even by day, but once you do find it, you realise just how central the location really is. It is just minutes from the main square (Djemma el fnaa).

Our room was relatively small but well decorated. I don't know if this was deliberate, but our shower did not have a curtain (not even a rail to attach the curtain to) so the water sprayed onto the bathroom floor.

The building itself is small, three storeys high, with an inner courtyard and approximately 15 rooms of varying sizes. There is a small terrace and a living room on the second floor as well as a roof-terrasse from where you can hear the sounds coming from the main square in the distance.

In the basement of the building there is a also a small hammam. My friend and I tried the simple treatment which was a soap wash, followed by a full-body exfoliation. At the end of the treatment, some clay was put on our heads and upper body. I am not sure if the treatment did our skin any good, but it sure was relaxing.

Although we were asked to pay for the room, the breakfast and the hamman separately, this did not bother us. The one negative point I would mention is that we were told at the last minute that we could not pay by card because the machine was not working. This may have been true, but the person at the reception at the time was the most unhelpful of all the people we met there (the others had been very helpful).

Overall, a very enjoyeable stay in a very attractive city."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of October 2006