About Imperial Plaza Hotel

• rooftop pool

Good

Seriously! 4*? I think not! Think very carefully before you stay here

Reviewed Thu 28th of August 2014

"Today is just the second day of our stay. (2 bedrooms)

Arrived yesterday evening to be told the restaurant was closed so there would be no evening meal. (We are booked half board) hotel was informed of our arrival time. Duty manager arranged for us to have lunch on the hotel the following day. (WELL DONE!)

Bedroom 1
TV not working; called 3-4 times to have it sorted on the first evening. Not sorted.
Requested extra towels several times. No response to request.

Bedroom 2
Air conditioning not cooling down. Several requests made to have it fixed. Kept getting told the engineer was on his way up. Never arrived.

Beds in both rooms very comfortable. (WELL DONE!)

DAY 2

Still no extra towels. House keeping came to service room but we were still in there. Asked for extra towels they offered to exchange one towel. They never came back to service the room.

Breakfast: seemed as though it was leftovers from last nights dinner.

Got stuck in the lift for over 20 mins before anyone from the hotel came to sort it. We were stuck between two floors so had to eventually climb out. Emergency alarm being constantly rung.

Again spoke with the front desk, after the telephone was put down on me twice regarding the Towels, air conditioning an sockets that were falling off the wall. One guy came up after many phone calls, to sort the TV that was not working. His attitude left much to be desired grabbing the controls and pointing it at the TV and saying "TV is working!" Found that it wasn't. Pointed the sockets off the wall to him and asked about room twos air conditioning.

Finally new rooms were offered. Checking these rooms found them to be much smaller than the rooms we were in. Explained to the front desk that this is the case, they said they would not be able to find any rooms the same size today but will have two in the morning and will move us tomorrow. (LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS TOMORROW. )

Unfortunately I had to let 'rip' on one of the duty managers who tried to tell me that everything was ok and the TV is ok! WRONG RESPONSE!

After this she very quickly found extra towels, pillows and will sort the rooms out.

I will keep you informed of my progress.

Well day 6

Thought or rather hoped things would get better but the didn't. Choice of food absolutely appalling! We booked half board but ended up having most of our meals from local restaurants. Seems as though they prepare (used in the loosest of terms) a set amount of food regardless of the number of guests staying at the hotel and if you happen to 15-20 mins after the start of meal times you will be lucky to get a decent amount of tasteless food and if you do get any it is cold.

Still have the issue with towels. However, I think I have got to the bottom of this one. Every day we have to request extra towels; weather hot so need several showers per day. Today requested towels at 12.30 (chamber maid had taken our towels around 8.30-9.00, still in bed) 2.30 went down to reception after hanging on the phone for over 10 mins ringing with no reply, left phone ringing. Requested towels to be told by reception "it's ok! They are on their way" I would not move and demanded towels immediately. The very helpful porter, Karim passed by and commented how angry I looked. Explained the situation to him. He immediately went and found a lady who I think was one of the duty managers who brought me two poor quality towels that felt a little damp. She said that it is only one towel per person and one towel was missing from our room. She seemed to all but imply that we had stolen the towel. When challenged on this issue she said that the chamber maids are charged for any modding towels. I told her that they come early and remove towels and never replace them and if they are being taken by the chamber maids that's not our issue.

Once again the lift broke down with us in it.

The electrical safety is non existent. Sockets hanging off the wall and these are directly next to the bathroom sink.

All staff with the exception of Karim (porter) & Nadia (customer relations) need to be sent on customer service training courses. If you ask for anything the try to fob you off with either "ok" or " tomorrow".

The pool is totally in need of draining, re-tiled. Currently it is slimy and grubby walls full of hair and other debris. One of our party cut their toe on a broken tile. Not enough towels by the pool or sun loungers.

All in all I would never stay at this hotel or a Swift International anywhere on the world. They need to become more involved with this hotel otherwise it will ruin their reputation.

Once again there is no way this should have an international 4* rating unless Morocco uses their own star rating system. At best this hotel is a 1-1.5* hotel.

All in all I would never stay at this hotel again. Good luck if you still book here; you have been warned.

• Travel date: Thu 28th of August 2014

Self-proclaimed 'Boutique Hotel' which turns out to be a standard tourist trap.

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"The Imperial Plaza is for very unclear reasons rated at 4-stars, which it is clearly not. Location in the new district of Marrakech is off and one is forced to use taxis ALL the time; in the immediate vicinity of the hotel there is nothing remotely worth seeing. Rooms are definitely not up to the 4-star rating. Staff is in general stand-off-ish and doesn't come across as warm or very friendly."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of September 2009

It´s allright, they are trying, but not quite there yet

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"I stayed 5 nights at this hotel in august 2009. the hotel is allright. Try to get a room at the back, because at the front you will have lots of traffic noise. It is NOT near the city center, but there are cheap taxis (30-50 DH / 2,5 - 4,5 euros) available.

The hotel staff is not very good. They are a bit moody and not really interested in you and your wishes. On August 22nd they forgot to tell their guests that Morocco put back the clock for one hour. I turned up at the airport one hour early. better early then late, but still it would be nice if they would have told all foreign guests.
The hotel sells their internet at an outrageous €5,-- an hour. Extremely expensive I think. I have travelled all over the world, but have never come across prices like this. I believe that a hotel of this quality should have free wifi. Instead they charge ridiculous prices.

The hotel attracts a lot of 28-40 year old guests. I´d stay again at this hotel, because it is comfortable, has a good enough swimming pool and a bit out of the busy city center."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of August 2009

Not a 4* but the service is Good and catered for French people

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"I have come back this week from Morocco and stayed at this Hotel. The reception staff are a little disorganised and very laid back as it took 30 minutes to check in and they were not very busy at all. Check out time was or irritated to us and initially they couldn’t find our details and assumed we had not booked a room. Nevertheless we were given a room on the 4th floor (Rm 414) which over looked the front of the hotel. We were not told were every thing in the hotel was so had to venture out and find out for our selves.

The Room: Was clean but we were only given 1 towel, there is no Iron so bring your own and you will have to pay to use the safe (25 Drm per night about £1.90). The beds can sleep 2 or even 3 people per bed. Cleaners will come in at around 9am regardless so make sure you tell them you don’t want to be disturbed.

Breakfast: Very minimal buffet. All I could find to eat was croissants and water melon. The tea available is only mint tea and in the mornings the staff seemed very unfriendly and snappy.

Facilities: The swimming pool is a good size but the service at pool side is non existence and be warned to take your own Towels. Apparently the hotel had a garden which we never got round to seeing and you will have to pay extra to use the spa and yak Uzi.

The hotel is not for families as there is no entertainment for any one apart from the pool. I was surprised they didn’t charge by the hour for using the pool.

Avoid going Half or full board as the food is far too bland and not much variety is avalible also do not eat in the hotel as it will cost you 200 Drms (£15) per person for food which you can get for 50 Drms else where.

Things to do: you are better off paying the hotel 350 Drms each for a trip to the Atlas mountains as they take you to the waterfall and a herb clinic on the way and the driver is very friendly. Try Quad Biking and Camel riding. Go to the Oldest mosque in the centre and make sure to cover your head with a scarf to respect the Islamic Beliefs. At about 7pm go to Mideena or the Square where they have entertainment and over 200 shops selling Fake designer goods and dried fruits etc. Train station to the beach and opposite the train station is a nice sheesha bar and a lovely Italian pasta restaurant with in the station.

Places to eat: KFC, Macdonalds and Pizza hut. Be warned that the food does taste slightly different

Transport: From airport to Hotel do not pay more than 150 Drms for one taxi. From hotel to Bazzar during day time pay no more than 10-20 Dirms and after 7pm pay no more than 10-50 Drms

Currency: currently you get 13 Drms for £1. Get your money exchanged at the airport as you will get a lower rate outside.

Flight: try to avoid using easyjet especially from Gatwick it is a nightmare to get too and easyjet staff are very incompetent and ill mannered.
The hotel it self is not all that there were no tea making facilities and the fridge was empty. It was stated it’s a 4 STAR but I think it’s more of a 3 STAR hotel.

BE WARNED IF YOU DON’T LIKE CATS THIS IS NOT A PLACE FOR YOU. THERE ARE CATS EVERY WHERE IN RESTURANTS IN HOTELS ON THE STREET VERY WHERE!"

• Travel date: Wed 19th of August 2009

Fantastic place

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"We were visiting this hotel 3 weeks ago.
We had a splendid time there.
I have to admit the service is very high standard and staff members are really friendly and helpful.
We want to say thank you to all of you.
We are sure to visit your hotel again.
Best regards
Anna Piatek & Marta Biernacka"

• Travel date: Wed 15th of July 2009

Comfy stay at convienient location

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"I only stayed 1 night during surf trip to Taghazout and chose this hotel due low price and location near to the airport.This turned out to be little less convienient as it first seemed by looking on the map.Lets go back to the hotel itself and keep it short as usual:

- People/Staff - very friendly and helpfull,would answer any questons you have and even advise on local area.
-Property: I liked the view from the 6th florr roof top terrace,its amazin 360 degree view of Marrakech and Atlas Mountains,you can even order food and have a drink during beatifull sunset and have it all by the swimming pool.Everuthing is kept clean and tidy too.I stayed there most of the afternoon before heading to Jemma el Fna square in the evening.
- Rooms: nice and cosy,design almost exactly the same as In Royal Atlas in Agadir but smaller (a lot bigger tv tho).The only one downside is that altough my reservation said "Atlas View" my balcony was overlooking a local residential area.Im sure i would have been changed upon request but could not be bothered as only stayed 1 night on my own.Very swift check-in,check-out,porters are available to help you with luggage,you can also get your money changed at the reception easily.
- Food :Rather limited choice at the buffet breakfast,kept very simple but tasty and fresh:fruit salad,pastries,only 1 type of ham an cheese and there was no eggs at 8am which seemed bit strange.
-Local Area: A short taxi ride from Medina and Jemma el Fna square.I ve paid 80dh (12dh to a £).There are taxis waiting at the front of the hotel and I think its worth arranging few rides with the same driver in order to get a sort of loyality discount which I did.Got one of them to take and come back and pick me up from places.Just remember NOT to look and dress like rich tourist (basically do not wear your best cclothes,especially and bargain,bargain,bargain.Taxi drivers in Marrakech are really fun.One of them told me "you must be ill" when I said I'll give him 22dh for the ride to bus station.He first asked for 60 so we ended up going for 40dh.
- Hotel Facilities:already mentioned roof top terrance is great,this Hotel also has a gym and spa,which I have unfortunatelly did not have enough time to see.You can also try something from the very extensive menu of massages,the facility for this service is near the roof top terrace and performed by some extremely good looking members of staff,im sure its worth checking out.

Overally as this was my last day in Morocco after a week of independent travel and staying in a surf cap I was very pleased with the friendlines and comfort at this hotel.(for some reason they had me as VIP,not sure why)So highly recommended,definitelly good value for money and great location close to airport,bus stations."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of June 2009

Highly recommended, hidden gem!

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"This was mine and my partners 1st trip to Morocco and the hotel was much better than expected. On arrival we were greeted by a bell hop, hotel staff were friendly and rooms were immaculate, large and 2 king size beds. The bell hop was more than helpful on many occasions as were all staff in hotel, note this country is a French speaking country so expect a few staff who cant speak English that well.

The restaurant is nice, lots of Moroccan style food. The bar was great, try local beer "flag Special" very god lager.

Only slight bad point is the hotel is about 2 miles away from old medina, but the hotel is in quiet area so could be a plus. The taxis are cheapest I've ever used, tell them to use meter and expect to share taxi as they pick up fares along roads!"

• Travel date: Fri 26th of June 2009

What a fantastic break

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"Booked Ryanair from Luton - 3hours 20mins to Marrakech. Nice clean airport some form filling then into Africa. Do not change money at UK airports as you get around 20% less money than in Morocco.
Change money at Marrakech airport, couple of booths give much better rates than shops in town or hotels. You can change what Dirhams you have left :-) into UK notes when leaving.

TAXIS - Big Taxis (Grand Taxis - old Mercedes) best to negotiate price then you don't get driven round and round and tip is included. Airport to Hotel around 20 mins 5 miles.

Hotel was much much better than expected, light airy room and quiet. We had half board - food OK - buffet style - traditional Moroccan fayre. Breakfast continental, juice and coffee.

The hotel is 1.5 miles from the centre, but on a straight road, TAXI's are cheap or you can walk it in 30 mins. Felt really safe at all times, Walked back from Medina and Souk at 12:00pm and enjoyed the stroll.

In the main square it is busy and hectic and we avoided getting lost in Souk. Kept moving if approached by beggars - no problems.

The highlight was a trip to the Atlas mountains to around 5,000 ft. and then a small trek around waterfalls. We met a TAXI driver outside hotel. Mr Bouziane who had been taking tourists for 20 years around the area. He was fantastic very courteous and took us to some amazing places we just would not have seen without his help. From the Saffron and fruit Farm (where we were given mint tea) to Villages and communes that make perfumes. There was no pressure to buy and everyone was really nice with us.

We had a fixed price for the tour of the mountains, and this lasted the whole day for around £40-£50. It was great value and Mr Bouzaine was very good at explaining about the area and nothing was too much trouble. The Moroccans are rightly proud of their country and respectful. Mr Bouzaine gave us his card and his phone number is Morocco 061 34 00 31.

There is also an open topped bus that runs from around 10 mins walk from the hotel. There are two routes around Marrakech and a 24 hour ticket available.

For the money the Hotel offered exceptional value including half board, not as central as it could be but this is not a problem."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of April 2009

Good value for money

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"This is a very good value hotel on the outskirts of Marrakech. It's sold on 'lastminute' and other websites as being central, which is a little misleading. True, it's in the newly developed hotel area of the city, but you are very unlikely to want to spend much time here. The '5mins away' description neglects to mention that this is by car! That said, it's not really an issue. There are always VERY good value taxis outside - we would use them 4 times a day (there and back) which only added in the region of £12 in total to our joint daily budget.

The rooms are quite nice - more of a 3* Euro standard and with an empty mini bar. The breakfast area is superb and there is a very nice cafe in the lobby area. The roof top pool area is fantastic. We were able to capture some rays in February, but it was too cold to swim.

I would avoid all the 'helpful' tour guide messages awaiting you in your room. You can organise your own trip at less than half the price with any of the taxi drivers outside. This doesn't stop the hard sell from your 'helpful' tour operator, leaving letters for lobby meetings in your room, phoning the room and even promoting their excursions whilst you eat your breakfast! This was annoying - but we lied and said that we had friends in the city, which was the end of that!

To a certain extent, I wish I had stayed in a Riad in the Medina, but I didn't know what to expect and thought that the medina might be a little intense. However, this hotel was significantly cheaper than most riads and it was nice to be able to leave the madness of the medina when required and enjoy the roof top pool area (something most riads don't offer). If taxis were expensive in Marrakech I would not recommend this hotel, in lieu of the fact that they are very reasonable (in a city that isn't particularly cheap) I would stay here again."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of March 2009

Best holiday ever!

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Spent a week in February with my best friend, had the best holiday ever.
Hotel was fantastic, the staff were exceptional especially the waiters, bar staff and porters.
Our holiday rep Issam was fantastic, the trips he suggested were out of this world.
We would recommend this hotel to anyone. Can't wait to book again for later on this year."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of February 2009

keep clear of the sales rep

Good
Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"stayed at the hotel .hotel was great resturant saff excellent nabil was the waiter who made are stay special and stay away from the tour rep she start to bug after a few day not to forget that if u need to use a iron best to bring 1 wth u as the hotel does not have one in the room but can iron for a cost no kettle and check the the rate of teh pound b4 you fly have fun"

• Travel date: Mon 2nd of February 2009