Swimming pool

About Hotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

• indoor pool
  • free shuttle or taxi services
  • tennis court
  • kids club

Good
Good

Worst holiday every - sick whole time

Reviewed 20th December 2016

"Pleasant, punctual flight then downhill all the way. Check in appalling - over 50 mins queueing with no apology. Room although spacious was badly lit and dreary with the smelly drain in sink and nasty smelling tap water. Arrived Friday & after the first meal (lunch) we both felt very after just a few hours so much so we couldn't go to dinner - my husband was very sick in the night. Tried light breakfast but same again so then missed lunch. Never felt well all week. Tuesday my husband was being very sick so went to see one of the managers and rep. to complain about the hygiene. I had been given an absolutely filthy glass from the bar - obviously had never been washed from the previous guest and still had remains of lemon floating in my drink. .Basically, although pleasant & polite he tried to be helpful but just gave us a kettle to make chamomile tea and soup from the kitchen. I was so ill Wed. night, spent all Thurs in bed violently sick didn't think I could fly home the next day - so will never stay there again and would not recommend to anyone else to do so."

• Travel date: 3rd December 2016

Don't stay here. It's absolutely awful

Reviewed 3rd December 2016

"I am disappointed to say I would not recommend this hotel, this has been my 3rd visit to morroco this year and this was the worst choice of hotel. So our flight with Thompson had been delayed and we got to the hotel wayyy off schedule, once we did get to the hotel took us about hour and half to sort out rooms out and also no sort of snacks or food available after we had been delayed for 3hours. When we finally got to our room, the bathroom was disgusting and sink full of pubic hairs, so after a long annoying stressful day we came to find that. Towels were stained I was very disgusted. I called reception they got somebody to clean up after an hour or so. As the days went on we discovered more and more of the hotel and realized how run down it was machines were broken, pipes and machines were exposed. Everything looked so dirty and like it needed a good clean. Drinks contained bags and bags of suger. Flys everywhere food was average and tasted very cheap!!! And having a restaurant and traveling all the time Ino my food!!, the tv in the room was laughable, tiny and loose could fall if children were around. Asked for a iron, they told us no we can't have one, we was on the was out so I had to raise my voice and shout in order to get one. I am shocked this hotel is a Rui tikida because I stayed in the one in agadir in July and it was a palace compared to this hotel. Spa was unwelcoming and the 'hammam room' was cold and not steamy. I have been to so many Hammams in my time and this was just sooo disappointing. No point in me paying for all inclusive because I spent my own money eating out. And on taxis. When I did eat there I had dihorrea and stomach pains. Never again!!!! Would I come here. On a positive note a few staff were helpful and did try to help but overall it was all a big mess. Thompson reallly need to re think this hotel because its absolutely shocking and awful!!!! Not my sort of style at all. So glad to be back home where it's nice and clean. "

• Travel date: 1st December 2016

Our Honeymoon

Reviewed 28th October 2014

"Just going to write a list because I have spent so long writing a complaint to Thomson. Take my advice don't go here - don't do it you'll regret it!! -two separate beds when told we could have a double when requested -beds rock hard leaving us aching for the whole holiday -room 10 minute walk away from reception and given no directions how to get to it -heating in room didn't work -shower curtains stained -dirty smelly blankets -broken bathroom door on arrival -not being able to get into our room on several occasions having to walk all the way back to reception to get it sorted -food running out all the time when it did arrive it was burnt or uncooked -food not or poorly labelled we are vegetarian left us with not much option -cross contamination staff using same tongs for meat with vegetarian food -hard boiled eggs raw, toaster didn’t work -stale bread -staff rude taking away plates before even finished eating and didn't ask -feeling of being rushed through dinner -animation staff bugging you round the pool all day one even asked for a cigarette -bar by the pool unclean and unhygienic flies and wasps everywhere even had one in drink served by staff -cockroaches in lobby sofas and bathrooms -awful WiFi signal wouldn't work if more than one person was using -excursion booked before went felt unsafe and unreliable DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!"

• Travel date: 20th October 2014

17th to 24th May 2012

Reviewed 31st May 2012

"Have stayed in Riu Hotels before, which have always been a to a very high standard. This hotel is not very old but already looking shabby and tired, we arrived mid afternoon it was hot and would of liked to cooled off in the pool, but after 1pm you could no longer get towels, why? Our bed was hard with one very flat and lumpy pillow, the balcony had a flower bed on it.....filled with cigarette ends, still there when we left. Food ok but not very hot. Will not be using this hotel again, would NOT class it as a 4 star +."

• Travel date: 30th May 2012

Sleep tight - hope the bed bugs don't bite

Reviewed 26th October 2010

"Riu Tikkida Palmerie My husband and I returned from the Hotel on the 3rd of May after what can only be described as our holiday nightmare, as we were literally being eaten alive! We arrived at the Hotel late Friday night, on Monday my husband noticed three large bites on his right forearm. We thought he has missed with the mosquito repellent so the following night made sure we covered everywhere. The following day quite a few more bites had appeared on the same forearm, these bites always seemed to be in threes they were large, red, raised and very irritating and unsightly. We thought that if we moved from the slight vegetation that we were sitting next to by the pool it would solve the problem unfortunately it didn’t, the following day he had over forty bites on his arm and now a couple on his back. I also noticed that I had started getting bites but I didn’t seem to be reacting to them as he did, mine were more around my neck and only slightly raised. We were getting quite worried by now as other holiday makers didn’t seem to be getting bitten and also a few had mentioned could it be something in the room, we did have a look around but the rooms were very large and quite dimly lit and we weren’t really sure what to look for. The next day we awoke to find even more bites, my husband had over two hundred covering his arms, shoulders and torso with just the odd one on his lower limbs, I also had more across my back and neck but again mine weren’t as visible. We had no explanation as to how we could be getting bitten so badly after using repellents etc., so we went to the Pharmacist. She couldn’t explain what they could be other than “Not Mosquito”, we purchased anti-biotics, anti-histamines, creams etc., and went back to the Hotel. Back at the Hotel we decided to have a look on the internet to see if we could shed any light on the matter, after searching bites the first thing that came up even on the history bar was “bed-bugs” after reading the about symptoms, how they bite and seeing photographs of past victims, (I say victim because that’s how they make you feel after being fed on in your sleep) and couldn’t believe the similarities, no mosquito bites could look like this, the only problem was my husbands looked ten times worse than any of the photographs on the websites. He became very self conscious about people staring at him. We tried to explain to the Reception of our concerns with the bites and the room and asked to speak to the Manager. This didn’t happen but they told us they would inform him and send someone to the room to look into it for us. We waited for a couple of hours, no one came so we decided that we could no longer stay in the room. After what we had read we were afraid that we could contaminate another room if it wasn’t treated properly and tried to explain this to the Receptionist who didn’t really understand, he told us to go back again to the room and someone would come. No one did. We went back to reception and told them to move us. The holiday “Advisors” had arrived by now so we told them what we thought. They had no experience whatsoever about bed-bugs and how to deal with them other than what we told them. They went to reception to ensure we could change rooms but we strongly re-iterated the fact that bed bugs can go with you and this is how they’re spread. We were terrified that we could be bringing them with us but the Thomson advisor said that they couldn’t survive the plane journey in the hold. The following day we didn’t seem to have any new bites so were hoping that we were clear and hadn’t carried any with us but unfortunately as we had so many it was difficult to tell. Still feeling very worried by this time we went to speak to the Thomson and First Choice Advisors to tell them that we were still concerned and wondered if we should see a doctor. Again we showed them articles on the websites and the bite comparisons especially the formation of threes. The doctor duly arrived and looked at the bites, they didn’t look as bad as the rooms were poorly lit, we tried to explain the possibility of bed bugs, so he looked at the mattress, we explained that this wasn’t the room were we got the bites and that they don’t have to live in the bed. The rooms were so big and dark it would have taken ages to locate them and like we said we had changed rooms. The doctor told the Advisors and the hotel that they were bites and that my husband was allergic to them and that there was no way whatever bit us could travel back with us. It cost us 50 Dirhams for the doctor to confirm that we were suffering from bites, but he didn’t know what had kept biting us. Our holiday was totally ruined by these bites, we were told that the room would be checked but the following day new guests were in it so how they could have fumigated was beyond us. We were still paranoid when coming home and to an extent still are after reading that bed bugs can live for up to 180 days and go without feeding for months. We complained to Thomson holidays about the room and that nothing was done or that they or the hotel didn’t have a policy on how to deal with bed bugs, this was there final reply: “As advised, the hotel hasn't received any further complaints about bed bugs - your complaint was the only one they'd received. When the issue was reported, the hotelier dealt with this appropriately.” Our holiday was ruined by these bites and apart from letting us move rooms nothing was done to stop the spread of possible contamination, Thomson said the hotel took the appropriate action which was? If other people had reported bites then they may have done something about it. How many people know what bed bug bites look like and know that they just don’t live in mattresses or old mattresses as Thomson explained the beds were new so how could this happen? How many people like us thought they were mosquito bites and how many had reactions to them? This we’ll never know, but as far as Thomson are concerned that whilst you’re on holiday “Sleep tight and hope the bed bugs don’t bite, because if they do, rest assured Thomson will do absolutely nothing” If anyone did stay at the Riu Tikkida Palmerie and had any unexplainable bites please let us know. "

• Travel date: 4th June 2010

Great Holiday

Reviewed 3rd June 2010

"We went to the Riu on the 10th May expecting the weather to be around 28 degrees, wrong it was in the late 30s most days, the hotel itself is about 20 mins from the airport and Marrakech, it is very big but you do not feel crowded at any time always plenty of spots to sit and relax, the food was excellent lots of choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner, our room which was a three person room was a very good size with a fridge they put 2 big bottles of water in the room everyday, the rooms were cleaned every day with fresh towels, all areas were kept clean, the pool was very big lots of sun beds and big matresses to lounge on, the entertainment staff were very good, shows were a bit of fun in the evening, we had 3 tour reps at the hotel they were all very friendly and helpful, there is a free shuttle from the hotel to Marrakesh which you book through the reception, good idea to book return journey also as very busy. We were told not to take english pounds as this would not have beeen accepted, this was wrong the English pound had a better exchange when changing this to Dirams. The hotel shop was quite expensive so best to haggle at the souks. Taxi's were very reasonable about a 100 dirams to Marrakesh (£8 approx). All in all we had a great time here could not fault the hotel at all, Marrakech is a very busy city lots of hustle and bustle,traffic very busy be prepared to dodge mopeds and cars, the hotel itself is in a quiet part of Marrakech, but there is plenty at the hotel to relax if thats what you prefer. Hotel very child friendly a great relaxing holiday."

• Travel date: 30th May 2010

Fantastic short break

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"Hotel was great, however they were still finishing off in places. This did not effect the clients thougth. Food was good, rooms nice. There was a free shuttle bus into Marakech running every hour. It is the ideal place for a short City break. Marakech is what you excpect, caoutic, busy and full of life."

• Travel date: 6th January 2010

Really enjoyed our relaxing break

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"We spent a week at the hotel from Christmas day to New Years day. The hotel is 20-30 mins from the airport the other side of Marrakesh which is about 15 mins away depending on traffic. The check in was efficient and carried out in the entertainment lounge. We had a room in block 1 which is the nearest block to the main building. There are no rooms attached to the main building and all rooms are a short walk through the gardens or the other side of the pool, the walk is fine but you do get soaked when is rains. There are no irons in the room and they cost a £40 deposit at reception, they dont however have ironing boards. The rooms are nice and they have water which can be replaced as often as you want a fridge. The TV has ITV and channel 5 if you are missing british TV. The pool area is huge with lods of different types of seating areas. The pool however is freezing and would be perfect if it was heated as in the winter it is a waste. There is an indoor heated pool and gym but is of no use if you want to sunbathe. The food was of good standard and hygeine standards were very high in the hotel. Some days there was limited choice but I always found something, you wont find an english breakfast if thats what you are expecting though. We ate at both the Itallian and Morrocan buffet restaurants which were not open everyday but the food was good. We had no complaints over the drinks and never had a queue at any of the bars. The entertainment team work very hard and they are very chatty and friendly, even there enthusiasm couldnt distract us from the shows which were a bit dismal. There were only 3 shows out of 7 nights, the rest of the nights there was guest participations ie games and karaoke and the nights that there were shows they were not good. I thought it was because the hotel was new but I was surprised to find out that the staff have all been moved together from agadir as a team and some have over 5 yrs experience. I didnt go on any of the trips as there wasnt alot of choice and you can see Marrakech by using the courtesy bus, you have to book the bus in advance and get a ticket otherwise you wont be able to travel. The bus runs 10-12 and 3-5pm, alot of people complained about the bus times but we booked a day in advance and didnt have a problem. Marrakech is a culture shock but thats what we go there for to see a differnent culture. I have a major phobia of snakes so avioded the square and I also dont like the way they treat the monkeys but apart from that a trip into Marrakesh is a must. I dont know whether I would try the food in the square as they have nowhere to store or wash anything but I suppose thats personal choice. We really enjoyed our week but we did want a relaxing break. The hotel is perfect for that and a short break but I wouldnt want to spend 2 weeks there as there isnt much to do."

Great Long Weekend Break

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"We have just returned from a weekend at the Riu Tikida Palmeraie. We landed on New Years Day at about 10:30am and travelled with Thomson. As many people have on these reviews, we got a great deal with about £500 off the normal price due to the hotel having recently opened. Transfer took around 20 minutes and the rep Jackie gave us some useful information en route. Check in was fine but can take a while if you are at the end of the queue. Luggage was brought to the room by the staff after about 15 minutes of checking in. Unfortunately we hadn't got any DH at the airport as we didn't spot an ATM and the one at the hotel was broken so we had to change the sterling we had with us at reception. You need very little money in the hotel, just a bit of change for tipping but if you want to go out and about you will need a bit of cash. There is an ATM just were the shuttle bus drops you too. Accomodation is really nice and very clean. The rooms are fully tiled and have either a terrace or a balcony with table and chairs. There is a fridge and they leave you two bottles of water a day but you could get a bottle of wine from the bar and keep it in there to have a glass when you are getting ready to go out if you wanted to. I found it a bit chilly at night so I would take something warm to pop on after you have had a shower. Food - The food is all buffet based where there is quite a good range but the basics are the same every day. As the hotel isn't running at full capacity they seem to serve lunch in the Italian restaurant next to the pool. This is a nice spot where you can sit outside. The Italian restaurant isn't open at night and again, I think this is down to capacity so you have the choice of the main restaurant or the Moroccan one which you need to book. We booked by asking the lunchtime staff and they gave us a ticket for the evening when you can turn up any time between 19:00 - 21:00. The food is buffet style again and very nice, it is a more intimate setting. Pools, bars etc. The main pool area is very large with lots of sun loungers. There is a pool bar which is open all day and also a little bar where to can serve yourself pop and water. You get a voucher each for your towels and you can get those from reception. The indoor pool is a good size and warm. The gym is basic but good enough to keep your fitness regime ticking over while you are away ! The spa is open and looked nice and prices seemed reasonable. The bar had a large TV and lots of places to sit, it was a bit smokey for me but you can also sit around the main reception area so that's fine. We didn't bother with the entertainment as it isn't our thing but the team seemed like a friendly bunch. We went to the Medina on the courtesy bus Saturday night and got a taxi back, It cost 100DH which we haggled down from 150. As we were on holiday for a rest we only did this once but we would explore a bit further if we went back. On Sunday morning we booked a balloon trip with Ceil d'Afrique and it was truly gorgeous, when I get chance I will do a proper review of it but I would recommend it and we were back on our sun beds by half eleven! The hotel is not in an area where you can wander off to shops or do much exploring but we knew that before we left and the shuttle bus is regular enough. We were really lucky with the weather and had a brilliant time, the hotel is new so obviously there are teething problems, the gardens aren't established etc but that is why it was such a bargain. We would definitly go again for some winter sun that is not too far away and you can completely relax - it seems especially lovely now we are home and up to our knees in snow !"

great hotel

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"had a great holiday everything was just fantastic about this hotel stayed for 11 nights and couldnt moan about anything meet tim and theresa there and would just like to say thanks"

• Travel date: 6th January 2010

Sightseeing or relaxing - the choice is yours!

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"A super new hotel with huge rooms (beds very comfortable), a choice of restaurants and bars, and friendly, helpful staff. The gardens have only just been landscaped, so need time to mature, but will be beautiful. Enormous outdoor pool with plenty of sunbeds, loungers and daybeds (but very cold in winter). Large indoor pool (heated). The free shuttle bus into the city centre ran very efficiently. Free use of computers in internet room. Guestrooms are situated some distance from the public areas which could be difficult for guests with limited mobility, but the paths are wheelchair-friendly. An umbrella would be useful in case of rain. A good hotel to choose if you want to spend your time relaxing, sightseeing, or both!"

• Travel date: 5th January 2010

xmas in marrakech

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"we,myself (42) & my wife(33)stayed for xmas 09,newly opened or rushed to be opened for xmas? Being a builder from the northeast of england the hotel has been finshed in a rush i heard of toilets falling off walls, handrails which were hanging off ,tiles which had sharp edges & a leek through one bedroom ceiling.Most rooms had obviously been finished in a hurry so they could open as there was pain/plaster on the new wooden door frames& tiles, alot of the tiles in the rooms had large cracks and chips out of them makin them look years old not weeks old. The swimming pool was only built in seven weeks & the wrong tiles have been placed around the edge makin it slippy as you step in& the pool bottom was very slippy (children were running and sliding into the pool as far as they could). The service of all the staff working at the hotel was some of the best i have seen i any hotel iv stayed at. The food in the main Restaurant was mainly the same every day and night,.The moroccain was slightly better but the italian was almost the same food as the main resterant and it dose give that impression in the review but they are infact also buffet.The alcoholic drinks weren't up to much, Larger wasnt bad but if your a big drinker this is not the place for you. The hotel when it is up and running and they iron out its problems will be quite a nice place to say but should be ala carte for the two other restarants or you are just eating the same food over and over. The area in which the hotel was built is miles from any where theres nothing to see out side ,There is a courtesy bus which takes you into town and a taxi which is 80 dr [keep your hand on your wallet] We took a trip which is [fantasia] a night of 1001 nights i enjoyed that very much (but was not very well planned as are coach was the first to arrive so it took 2 hours for our meal as u have to wait for all the coaches from other hotels etc to arrive and go through the tour part as u do) arabian horses and camels good food but rap up, very cold on a night. I would recommend this hotel but maybe in another 6/12 month when they have finished and sorted out all the small faults, but in high summer, In Winter its a long City break without the thrills of the city & i would recomend u take some warm clothing for an evening . This was our 1st christmas away & if we had not met some very nice people while there, it would have been a very long break away. Two other hotels (who also went on the fantasia trip) had told us about their hotels festivities for christmas, which where far better than our "gala meal" (buffet again, but verry nice) but we do understand they had just opend. All in all this is a nice hotel, the staff are top notch and in 6/12 month it could be very good."

• Travel date: 4th January 2010

Hotels near Hotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

Top traveller tips for Hotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie

• by Medinet

"Don't even think about staying in the first place unless you enjoy being sick!!!!!"

• by Samantha F

"just don't stay here!"

• by kitty

"be prepared for anything and you will not be dissapointed"