oudaya

Unpleasant experience

Reviewed 7th September 2011

"I went to this hotel on January 2009 and I had a very . The evening of my arrival, before going out to dinner , I realized my Canon camera equipment did not fit in the safe . So I asked the concierge and I was reassured by him that I could leave the Canon kit in my room because it was completely safe and no one would go in. When I returned the kit was gone, totally disappeared… Neither the door or window had been forced , so it was clear that someone who had a key entered the room while I was out and took the camera. The manager told me not to worry because they had insurance which would reimburse the total amount of the value of the camera equipment. After I filled in all the documentation to get the refund , the insurance company refused to give me the reimbursement because they said the theft had taken place without breaking an entry. From what I have read on this and others forums, thefts at this hotel are not so rare... Marrakesh is a lovely place, but my suggestion is: CHOOSE ANOTHER HOTEL! "

• Travel date: 29th August 2011

Breakfast could be more imaginative

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"Stayed in the Oudaya for 3 nights from Feb 12th - 15th. Found the rooms to be adequate , clean and comfortable. There was a slight problem with the toilet, which, thankfully we were able to sort. ourselves. We reported it but nothing appeared to be done. The reception staff were not particularly welcoming or helpful. Breakfast was quite basic and uninspiring. Probably OK as a budget type hotel."

• Travel date: 16th February 2007

Better than expected

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"We stayed at the Hotel Oudaya at the end of January for 7 nights. For the price we paid we were expecting a bit of a flea pit but couldn't have been more wrong. The room was basic but clean and airy. We asked for a room overlooking the swimming pool and that's what we got. Other reviews have said that staff were unfriendly, I found that although they weren't smiling all day long this didn't mean they were unfriendly. I found them all very helpful even though I don't speak a word of french. The location was great for a 7 night stay, at the end of a day in the Medina it was great to be somewhere not quite so hectic. I think 7 nights in Marrakech definately needs to be broken up with a couple of day trips. The maddness of the place which seems so vibrant at the start will soon start to lose it's charm if you don't have a break somewhere more peaceful. I would definately recommend this hotel to budget travellers who just want a base while they go and explore this wonderfully different city. We would love to go back one day and would stay at the Oudaya."

• Travel date: 9th February 2007

Basic Hotel

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"We came back from Marrakech today and stayed at the Oudaya for the last night, we booked it because Tour Operators use it and wanted a cheap Hotel for our last night, as we booked the day before and had not got a printout of our voucher the Hotel were most unhelpfull even thou they had our name on their computer, they sent us to an internet cafe that did not have a printer and if it wasn't for a helpful American whom took us somewhere where they do have a printer then we would not have been able at stay at the hotel, The girl on reception was very unhelpful.The room was basic and the breakfast very basic, we could not have stayed here any longer. The rooms were clean thou. There was no cafeteria even thou it was signposted. Pauline"

• Travel date: 28th January 2007

Basic with all you need, good location

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Our first time in Marrakech, and Oudaya was a great starting point. Easy to reach, well-connected to the Medina (long-ish walk, lots of buses/taxis), lots of eating joints nearby. Staff were very friendly and helpful (despite reviews) - the rooms were simple but clean and functional. Lots of tour groups use this hotel, so the standards have to be good. Our room was facing the pool and was very quiet. Overall -Cheap and cheerful, and no complaints, but if you can afford it, stay in a Riad in the Medina for the full Marrakech experience."

• Travel date: 8th January 2007

Don't trust the reception staff

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"We booked to stay in the hotel for only 3 nights as we split a weeks holiday to Marrakesh & Agadir. The hotel was ok, a little on the basic side, but we had everything we needed! The breakfast was good, but I couldn't have stayed there any longer than 3 days like other guests I too would have become bored of the bread & pastries. My only word of advice would be to not exchange any money in this hotel. We went to see who we thought was the nice man on reception to exchange travellers cheques for cash. We found out at our next hotel that he had in fact short changed us by over £100.00. (Noy sure if he pocketed it or not!) This may not seem like alot of money in the grand scheme of things but it makes a difference when you're on a budget! The service received from all other members of staff was excellent, even though you could see how busy they were."

• Travel date: 5th January 2007

gotaway to the oudaya

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"we have just returned from a 3 nite break at the oudaya we were very happy with all aspects of our stay the staff were very helpful and we would happily return to the hotel again."

• Travel date: 29th December 2006

I thought it was good

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"I stayed at Oudaya as an independent traveller, which can sometimes bring on shoddy treatment. However in this hotel I was treated with courtesy and friendliness throughout my stay, (1 week.) The room was clean and comfortable, everything worked, and the main square was an easy, direct walk away. I had a great time, and was glad I stayed in such a nice hotel. (PS, if you wish to visit Imlil, on the side of Mount Toubkal, which I would wholeheartedly recommend, get a cab to Bab er-Rob on the outskirts of Marrakech, [because it's not easy to find, and negociate a price first, 10-15 dm], then either get the minibus to Asni, followed by a cab to Imlil, or share a grand taxi to go directly there. It's worth booking a hotel room in Imlil for a night or two, so you can have a good walk, but ask to see the rooms first, some were ropey.)"

• Travel date: 19th November 2006

Not bad value

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"I stayed here for 4 nights in early November. It's not bad at all. The pool area is nice and would recommend trying to get a room with a balcony overlooking it. The room was a fairly decent size as was bathroom with good powerful shower, although there was a slightly odd smell in there. The continental breakfast was more than adequate but the earlier you go down the better as it can get quite busy. I think there are many benefits of staying in the "new" town , it can be nice at the end of a busy day in the Medina to get away from the hustle and bustle and relax a bit. Also you will find a lot more restaurants in this area serve alcohol. I cannot recommend the Moroccan red wine enough! Charly's Cabana , which is close to the hotel, is a decent and fairly cheap place to eat. The hotel is well placed for the upmarket shops and is, literally a five minute taxi journey (plenty to be found nearby) to the medina or a 30/40 minute walk, which we managed easily every day."

• Travel date: 17th November 2006

my opinion

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"Myself and my Husband stayed at Hotel oudaya for a week in November. The hotel is spotless clean and very comfortable, the rooms are lovely and the pool and all facilities are nice. The bar is nice. However the breakfast staff are extremely rude. I have stayed all over the world and never been treated that way, I;m a budget traveler and don't expect a lot but they are nasty. We payed more than we have payed in the past for b&b and the breakfast was just bread and pastries no cereal or fruit. They would only give you one glass of orange juice and would charge you 6d if you asked for a second one which is twice what you pay in the square. So I would recommend staying there."

• Travel date: 17th November 2006

a true morrocan hotel.

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"Arrived at midnight,staff very very helpful even at that hour.awoke to glorious sunshine,and breakfast by the pool,no towels availible but told to use room towels,snack bar service very slow but when snacks arrived they were excellent.Hotel meals were tasty and served piping hot,prices for 3-course meal(£10) aqnd local beers (£1). Hotel only 15/20 minutes from main square,but a nice stroll down to it worked off some of the excess pounds!!!We found all staff helpful even though most guests were French,and we could communicate in english to them with a smattering of french.All in all,an excellent stay in a hotel wich made our marrakech holiday all the better."

• Travel date: 14th September 2006