About Hotel Kenzi Farah

• indoor pool
  • evening entertainment

Kenzi Farah - Avoid at all costs

Reviewed Wed 13th of April 2016

"Hotel looks good but don't be deceived. Reception Staff rude and unhelpful - 45 minutes to book in and constantly arguing with each other. Bar staff short on manners, borderline rude. Waiters harassed and overworked but pleasant just stressed. Food lukewarm and bland. Restaurant toilet flooded twice in 5 days. Rooms basic and bland - take torch as lighting low powered. No shower curtain so bathroom flooded every time had a shower. Pillows rock hard. Room safe broke down twice - gave up in the end. Only 2 lifts working one of which broke down during our short stay. Dreadful experience feel like I need another holiday to get over disappointment - can you get PTSD from a hotel?"

• Travel date: Tue 12th of April 2016

Reasons not to stay at Kenzi Farah

Reviewed Tue 2nd of July 2013

"I have just returned from Kenzi Farah, which was my second visit to Marrakesh. I was and am still shocked at the way this hotel is run and how poor the service and hotel in general is. I have stayed in 5 star accommodation at the same price prior to visiting Kenzi Farah and can confirm that this hotel does not match the star rating it has been granted, nor does it match the price paid.

These are some of the problems I experienced while in resort:

1. Asked reception in excess of 5 times to hire/buy a converter plug. The staff were extremely unresponsive and didn't seem to care at all.
2. The floor that we stayed in, 4th floor, room 2403, smelt really bad.
3. I even had problems getting a bucket of ice. All I wanted to do was cool a bottle of red wine (which I had purchased from the hotel, which was served hot and undrinkable) and I was passed from bar to bar and then reception. The staff looked at me as if I was asking for gold.
4. My traveling companion had no help with getting a sunbed mattress or towels, whereas the same man helped another lady.
5. No prices for drinks or food outside of the half board offering. It is very much pot luck what you pay on any given day.
6. There are no labels on the food and drinks in the restaurant. The food is extremely poor with exception to the Moroccan evening, which seemed a lot better. Most evenings the meals we endured, left bad/off tastes in our mouths. The only food that seemed edible was the sweets. Two evenings out of four, I approached the chef that was cooking in the restaurant. I stood in front of him and asked what he was making, to which I received no response or acknowledgement.
7. The air conditioning in the room is very bad and non existent in other parts of the hotel.
8. Stained towels and bathmat in bathroom.
9. Loose shower rail in bathroom (quite dangerous).
10. Nearly all of the staff are rude and do not even acknowledge you.

On the first day, we reported all of the above to the hotel and our travel rep, who addressed the issues with the management. The management promised to sort out all of the issues that we had addressed and said they wanted to ensure we had a good stay.

Three days on from the day we addressed the complaint, nothing had changed or improved. On checking out, we were incorrectly charged for our drinks and food while in resort. We again expressed our concerns with our entire stay to be met when an arrogant response saying we should of complained more. In other words, kept on going back to reception to resolve the issues.

In the end the manager waived the charges on the bill, however it took 15 minutes of dispute where he was talking over us and not listening at all.

This hotel is not for British guests, it really felt like every other nationality was being treated in a far superior manner to us.

The only saving grace is that the room (bar the air conditioning) was moderately comfortable and that the tours to get you out of this resort were superb.

I would really advise anyone considering to book this hotel, to seriously think about whether they want to have a good experience in Marrakesh; as if it was not for the excellent excursion to the Atlas mountains, we would of considered leaving early."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of July 2013

Avoid this hotel unless you are happy with the following

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"The pictures looked nice and most of the reviews were ok, I now think that the good reviews are probably manufactured by the hotel themselves.
The negative reviews which I neglected before going on holiday are the actual realities of this hotel, I thought they may of been just one off bad experiences, but those comments are regular occurances at the hotel.

Apart from 1 person at the reception, the rest; particularly the restuarant staff are very rude, and they do try to play around with how much you should or should not pay even though you may of paid half board.

The path to the hotel rooms are very poorly lit and look horrible and rooms are outdated, I would classify it as a 3 star hotel at most. The swimming pool is nice and its free, the wifi is free (when it works), using the one and only lift is free - when it works (luckily we were only on the 2nd floor). everything other facility the hotel advertises are at an additional charge including the gym, indoor pool, outdoor area etc....

The taxi's in front of the hotel are contracted to the hotel and expensive, the gate keeper gives you a dirty look if you get another taxi and sometimes argues with the taxi driver.

I paid £850 for 7 nights in a family room, it most certainly is not worth paying that much for staying at this hotel.
if you are looking for a good service, then this is not the place for you, but if you can ignore the above and happy with the price, then maybe you will like the hotel.

• Travel date: Mon 15th of October 2012

Before going to this hotel I read very b...

Reviewed Thu 10th of January 2008

"Before going to this hotel I read very bad reviews. When we arrived at 10am 4 hours before we were allowed in, they pulled all the stops out to get our room ready.

The grounds are lovely and very well kept. The breakfast was very good with plenty of choice from meat cuts to fruit and a lady cooking fresh pancakes for everyone.

I will more than happy to return to this fab hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of January 2008

Excellent hotel, well situated short tax...

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2007

"Excellent hotel, well situated short tax ride (max 30dhm) or 20 min walk from main square. Fabulous gardens, good food, especially breakfast, look out for lady making fresh pancakes she is outside and easily missed, great staff andlovely spa (extra cost but worth it).

Stayed in new block near spa rooms, great and overlooking lovely gardens (main bit of older part of hotel may be less so?), room, dining room and hotel very clean and cared for. Air con, fridge, powerful shower, body lotion soap, shampoo and shower gel, sheets and towels changed daily.

Staff extremely helpful, nice beds around pool and free towels. Outdoor pool coldish but fine once you were in a swimming.

Main square be careful of approaches form random people asking to guide you and also beware of pickpockets.

Had great time would recommend highly."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of November 2007

Good family hotel

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"Just got back from a two night stay. Agree with other reviewers that rooms are tired and in need of a refurb but they were clean and of a good size. We took our 3 year old with us and the pool area was excellent for children with a large shallow area where she could play safely. We stayed on a half board basis which included breakfast and either lunch or dinner in the buffet style restaurant. I thought the food was excellent, we had evening meal on both days and could not fault it. We did find a restaurant right opposite the hotel where we had a drink one evening and it looked a good alternative to the hotel. We also took the tour bus which leaves from just outside the Hotel El Andalous which is opposite this hotel. I would recommend the tour to get a good idea of the layout of Marrakech. I really enjoyed this short break and this hotel is ideal for a good value winter sun break."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of February 2007

Really enjoyed it

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Just returned from the Kenzi Farah on 26th Feb 07, we had a really good time, and wonder what some people in other reviews where expecting, after all you are in Africa,Having travelled extensively in the past, we just went with the flow, We found the hotel to be clean, comfortable,and a peaceful oasis after a day exploring thr city.
The food provided ,was of a good standard with a considerasble choice at both Breakfast and Dinner , certainly if you went hungry it was your own fault
We arrived early(before midday) but our room was made available to us within 20 minutes ,Our room overlooking the gardens was clean, with bags of hot water.
The outdoor pool was spotless, , we did not use it but did avail ourselves of an hour on the very comfotable sunbeds, late in the afternoon
he staff where friendly and polite, and nothing seemed to be too much trouble, and although if they found my basic French a subject of mirth, they also granted me the respect for trying.
The hotel is as some have said not 5*, but a very comparable British3*
It is ideally situated within a 15 to 20 minute walk of Jemaa El Fna, and the Medina (something that should not be missed), alternatively a Small taxi will cost you about 20 Dirhams.
We would recommend this hotel, and as we definitely want to return to explore more of the magical city of Marrakech and the surrounding area, we will certainly stay there again without hesitation."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of February 2007

It wasn't as bad as people seem to make out

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"In short, the hotel is NOT 5* as billed. However, it is fairly clean, functional and reasonably well located in central Marrakech.

Here are a few thoughts which may help to influence your decision:
- My room was reasonable value - I think it was about £40 a night
- The room decor was a little tired and I reckon the entire hotel needs a bit of a makeover. However, my room was quite sizeable at least despite having no view of the gardens and being a good 5 to 6 minute hike from the reception through a labyrinth of corridors and lifts.
- I wasn't too impressed by having to pay £2 per day for the use of the safe in the room. It seemed to me that the hotel wanted to chargte for every little thing as an extra.
- Life is certainly much easier at this hotel if you are able to speak French
- Breakfast seems to be included for everyone in the room rate. I disagree with other comments and found it to be positively average with the quality of the food offered being fairly poor. However, to be fair, there was quite a bit of choice.
- Enjoyed the on-hotel restaurants. Although I steered clear of the buffet restaurant which seemed to be full of large tour groups (mainly French and Belgians) on half board. This is a typical tour group hotel!
- There is a Berber restaurant in a tent which serves traditional Moroccan food. My mixed starter had to be sent back because it waqs still frozen! However, it was fine when cooked properly. You will be seated at large round tables where you can watch 4 resident berber musicians reel out exactly the same set each night. There is also a slightly wobbly belly dancer 3 or 4 times during the evening and she will come a dance at each table for you (quite pleasant).
- There is also an a la carte restaurant which although not being busy was reasonable quality. Again, French will make life much easier here.
- Parking available on site which was handy. Dont turn left out of the hotel as you will cross a 'solid line' and you are likely to be pulled over, fined and generally treated like a fool by the police who man the nearby junction. I refused to pay the ridiculous fine I waqs being told I had to and in the end, the policeman gave up and let me on my way.
- Internet access at hotel is poor. A small number of PCs near reception have very slow connections and are very over-priced. use a local Cyber Cafe instead.
- Location is not bad and you can be at the main mosque within 20 mins and also in the Souks in a similar time. If you are timid of the suicidal traffic whilst trying to cross roads, take a horse and cart or take a cab. There will always be some sitting opposite the hotel. Marrakech is not pedestrian friendly.
- The bar is quite average at the Farrah. I felt it to be very staid and impersonal and the musicians played awful renditions of some 70s hits. However, Hotel El Andalous is just over the road and has a very good resident rocky type band playing arabic hits and really got the place swinging on the two occasions that I went there. Very much a locals crowd. If you wait until the band finish, you are likely to be allowed to go down to the night club for free. That was also excellent with a very relaxed but swinging party atmosphere.
- The Marrakesh tour bus passes the corner of the nearby El Andalous hotel every thirty mins (about 20 and 50 mins). It is worth a tour although quite unimaginative narration is be earplus (in 6 or 7 languages).
- If taking a cab from outside the hotel, dont allow them to rip you off. 20DH should be plenty to get you to the souks or the mosque. 20DH shhould also get you to the heart of the Nouvelle Ville. The taxi driver will ask for 10 times that and act completely arogantly. Offer what you are prepared to pay and if they start to bargain go and ask the next one. Be aware that they will selectively not speak any English which I saw for someone was a struggle.

Hope all this helps someone. In summary, I wasn't upset with the hotel but I dont think I would choose to stay there again."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of February 2007

Not 5* but very good value.

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"I was so alarmed by some of the recent reports on this hotel, that when I read them just a few days before we were due to travel I actually phoned to try to either cancel or transfer to another hotel. In hindsight I can now say, fortunately, we could not get through!

Whilst I would agree that it is not 5star as we know it in UK, we were more than happy with what we got for what we paid. The hotel is well situated in a quiet road in the Hivernage district, about 20minutes walk from the Jemaa el fnah. Our room was spacious and well located, overlooking the very well maintained gardens, and kept immaculately clean by the staff who left fresh flowers throughout our 8 day stay.

I was surprised to read in a previous report that breakfast was basic. Our experience was different. Fresh fruit, prunes, figs, cereal, a wide selection of pastries, bacon and eggs, cooked meats, toast and even pancakes made freshly to order were on offer as well as the best freshly pressed orange juice I have ever tasted.

We were half board and never needed to spend a penny on food as breakfast was substantial enough to see us happily through the day until the evening buffet in the orangerie. There is the option to go to a second restaurant but because I am on a restricted diet for health reasons the buffet suited me better as it allowed me to pick and choose. The Saturday evening buffet was particularly good with lots of tagines to chose from and made all the more enjoyable by the very entertaining live music and belly dancing.

It may not have been necessary but we followed advice given to us and drank only bottled water, even using it to clean our teeth, and experienced no gut problems whatsoever.

We did not see any notices to say the staff can arrange daytrips etc and only found this out by talking to other guests. We booked a day to the Ourika Valley, which we would highly recommend, and which cost 225 dirhams each, significantly cheaper than similar trips arranged by some of the holiday reps. The hotel can also arrange tickets for the open top bus which does 2 different routes round Marrakech – a ticket costs 130 dirhams for 24 hours and you can hop on and off as often as you want in that time – a great way to get round, and there’s a stop conveniently located just opposite the front of the hotel.

I wanted to have a hammam, and although it’s possible to do it in the hotel, I particularly wanted to experience it with the local Moroccan women. The staff on reception could not have been more helpful and booked it all for me – just as well as I seem to have forgotten all my school French and there was no English spoken. I am so pleased I did it the “hard way” and had a truly unforgettable experience which was the highlight of my holiday.

There seemed to be conferences in the hotel on an almost daily basis which in no way interfered with our holiday but we felt indicated that international companies are satisfied with the standard of the hotel.

We booked our flights with easy Jet for £60 each return and got what we felt was an amazing deal for the Kenzi Farah through lastminute.com, paying £366 for the two of us for 8 nights halfboard. The weather was perfect for walking and we were able to explore Marrakech thoroughly finding more than enough to keep us well occupied for our stay.

All in all a fantastic holiday."

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of February 2007

Great value

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Having returned from this hotel today after a 5 night stay,I feel absolutely compelled to share my positive experience.I was so worried prior to my holiday having read so many horror stories! I was a travel agent for 12 years and have been working for an airline for 11 years as longhaul cabin crew.I have travelled the world and have stayed at hundreds of hotels.This hotel is as you would expect for a 5 star in this part of the world.I found the staff very friendly (I spoke both French and English,no problems at all with the latter),the food was fairly typical buffet fayre and the two speciality restaurants were superb.We were half board and used our credit (100 Dhs pp) towards the Moroccan restaurant twice and the gourmet restaurant once.I cannot recommend these a la carte restaurants highly enough.Yes,the hotel could do with a lick of paint here and there,our heating didn't work and the massage I had was a waste of money! This isn't Europe! All in all,it was superb value,a good location and a relaxing hotel. I think you need a certain sense of adventure for Morocco;it's great for the seasoned traveller hence some of the negativity towards quite a few of the hotels here.Even the world's top hotels charge for Internet access and many other 'extras'.If you want 5 star luxury stay at La Mamounia and pay about 5 times as much. Bonnes vacances!"

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of February 2007

Pleasantly surprised!

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"My friend and I booked 7 days in the Kenzi Farah and read the reviews after booking. We were really worried after reading so many bad reviews, and tried to change our hotel but lastminute.com wouldn't do it. As it turned out, I am glad we couldn't, as the Kenzi Farah is a lovely, clean, comfortable hotel and the staff were really welcoming and helpful (especially the staff in the bar). Admittedly the staff don't tend to speak English, but surely that is to be expected when you visit non-English speaking countries?!
The hotel is a 20 minute walk or a 5 minute taxi ride (Don't pay more than 20DH, although the drivers will ask for much more!!) from the Medina, which is perfect for when you want to get out of the hustle and bustle, and I can only think that the people who wrote the bad reviews must have visited a different hotel!
We had a lovely time and I would recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Marrakech."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of January 2007

A Good Hotel

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"Booked this through LowCostBeds, didn't have any problems at all. On arrival receptionist booked us in efficiently and even changed up some notes into smaller change. Room was good enough with 2 double beds, could do with a little updating but it's not as if it's falling down, paint peeling or anything like that. it was very clean. Service in the snack bar by the swimming pool was good, food appealing and not expensive. Although we did not go in the swimming pool it looked very clean, gardens are lovely and peaceful and we could always get a bed and clean towels at no extra cost. The hotel let us keep our room until 4pm for an extra £20 as we were not flying until 6.30pm. This hotel is in a good location, taxi to square varied between 15-25 dirhams (£1-£1.75) depending on your bargaining skills. We would recommend this hotel and certainly would stay there again."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of January 2007

Hotels near Hotel Kenzi Farah

Top traveller tips for Hotel Kenzi Farah

• scmmfa by scmmfa

"Phone them ans ask questions directly. "

• Charlie H by Charlie H

"Do not book to go here. "

• Sue T by Sue T

"Don't go there in first place "

Hotel Kenzi Farah is also called