The Pool at the Hotel El Andalous

About Hotel El Andalous

Supposedly a 4star I reckon it should be 2star

Reviewed 25th February 2013

"The hotel food was atrocious; the breakfast was very limited no fresh fruits, no cheese the choice of foods didnt change. The buffet was repetitive. The majority of the staff couldnt speak english so there was a lack of communication between us. In the resturant they didnt have sufficient amounts of cutlery and crockery, bare few of the tables were covered with table cloths and we werent given good quality napkins. Also the salt and pepper holders were filthy. Although we were half board we only ate there 3 days out of our 7 night stay. The charges for tours and trips were overpriced. The hotel itself is pretty but needs to be updated and refurbished slightly."

• Travel date: 25th February 2013

Love it all the way!

Reviewed 20th February 2013

"We went to Marrakech on 08-02-13 till 15-02-13, let me tell you our experience. Me and my children (aged 17 and 15 years)my mum and brother (who has a learning disability aged 29 years) and my sister with her 3 kids all went. From the moment we got to the airport it was fantastic!! In the evening it does get a bit cold at this time of the year. However, during the day it is beautiful weather (like our June) The airport people were great. I asked someone were I could purchase a mobile sim and the guy showed me exactly where to go (within the airport). When we got to our hotel El Andalous they were really helpful. We got there at about 7ish we were welcomed and taken to our rooms and told supper is ready and we can go and have a bite to eat when we have freshened up. Next morning we went downstairs and were directed to the breakfast area where we had a buffet each morning (lovely). Each day the reception lady and man would say good morning and ask us how we slept. My brother made some good friends with the restaurant manager, some other restaurant staff, bar staff and hotel reception staff. I have to stress if you have a child or an adult with a learning disability this hotel is so WELCOMING and opens it's arms to you. The staff are so helpful that they treat all with respect and gratitude and they do not get annoyed or let you feel embarrassed if your adult or child with the disability "has a moment". They come and make conversion with that person and make them feel special and important. My brother loved the attention! Now, the rooms are cleaned on a daily basis (if you want), if you do not get your room cleaned each day you can ask for clean towels in exchange for the old/dirty ones and they are happy to change them for you. I kept all my personal stuff in my small suitcase locked up (passports and extra money). Lovely view from balcony. The downstairs lobby area is wow! The outside area, gorgeous! Pool is cleaned every day by the pool attendant/life guard, the bar staff are lovely, lovely guys. You can ask them where to go and what to do and what prices to pay. They are very helpful. There is a club onsite and they have different nights, the staff are again lovely and kind. The dinning area is lovely too, the decor is beautiful. The area around the hotel: you will get a taxi outside the hotel (remember to negotiate a price before jumping into the taxi, otherwise you will get robbed! There are plenty of horse and carriages but we did not get on one because my brother did not like them. There is a small supermarket nearby (reception will tell you exactly where to go). Also 2 restaurants, lovely food and most certainly not expensive! You can have a lovely meal with deserts for under £10. 15 to 20mins from there is Mac's and pizza hut. The Medina (Jamma El fina): after taking a taxi the first time we walked to the Medina to see all. It is only about 15mins from the hotel and along the way there are benches for you to rest if you need to and take pictures. Please be careful when crossing the busy roads because you get some drivers who will stop and give you way but then you get some who just think Why should I?? Lights do work but traffic comes from all areas! The police all over are very very helpful! The Koutoubia Mosque: it is so peaceful you could take lovely pictures along the way. DO NOT PULL ORANGES OFF THE TREES, YOU WILL GET ARRESTED!!! At the market you will get all sorts come to you and try and pull you into their shop/stall or restaurant. If you have a young girl be aware of men! because all the guys will be complimenting her and well you can probably guess the rest! Remember only pay the price for anything that you truly are willing to pay because the first price they tell you will be sky high (good haggling is due)! Restaurants are nice and food is nice. Just make sure you check what you are getting charged for and that you are not paying any extra 100s. I would deffo recommend going to the atlas mountains. The BerBer villagers are the best people in Morocco, they are so kind and helpful, we stopped on the way to the mountains at the start of the village at this mans shop. He was really kind and helpful. His stuff at the shop was gorgeous all handmade and original. He did not try to cheat us or push us to buy things. He wanted to show us the whole village and tell us about his culture. It was Lovely!! I would also recommend going to the place where they manufacture Argan Oil, it is fantastic, original (without any adding to it)I purchased it from there with some cream for my sons spots and believe me it has made a difference in a few days! Overall me, my mum and my sister had a great time. I love the people, the shopping and the food. My son did not find it that great because he got bored after 4/5 days (wanted to go back to the Berber people). My daughter was OK about it as long as she could get what she wanted (she did) the younger kids were happy because they would jump into the pool everyday. Last but not least my brother loved it, he wants to go again! One thing i would not recommend is going to the blue or Menara gardens, waste of time and money. Kids got really bored and this family there were asked to leave because their son touched a plant (he must have been about 7 years old). We were shocked because we did not see any signs saying you can not touch anything! Do not go there you will regret it! I know this is along review. but going for the first time we did not get any info because it was not available for families. I feel it is important to let people know what to expect. "

• Travel date: 19th February 2013

never a dull moment

Reviewed 22nd September 2009

"Hotel El Andalous, as other reviews state, is a little tired and in need of updating but it is very clean. The room was spacious, the sheets were crisp and clean, the swimming pool was big and welcome and the staff are very helpful and polite. The buffet breakfast is plentiful and a very good start to go sightseeing in Marrakech. It's about a 15 minute walk to Jemma el fna (the square). The quickest route we found as to turn left out of hotel, take an immediate right and walk straight, but taxis to and from were 20dirhams(about£1.60. We ate in and around the square all the time. The traditional food is very cheap and fantastic quality. "

• Travel date: 21st September 2009

mrs

Reviewed 17th October 2008

"Hotel is graded at 3* however should be re-graded to 4* I have stayed here now for the last 3 years, my husband and I travel to Morocco very often to visit family and we choose to fly to marrakesh and on the final day we stay in marrakesh as we love the city, the first time we went there we were upgraded to a suite as it was our honeymoon which was lovely, we then returned with our baby and was given the same room!, again this year the same staff remain and are as pleasent as always I find them very professional and eager to help. The rooms have always been clean extra towels were provided on request there was air conditioning throughout which is very important marrakesh can get crazy hot! the food for breakfast was basic but enjoyable and the tea coffee juices etc were fresh, the pool area laways clean and tidy and very refreshing! I would def recomend the hotel its excellent value for money and easy distance to the airport and the city, make sure you drink plenty of water as it is a very hot place and unlike othere reviews on the site saying u will feel intimidated etc.. its rubbish you will enjoy it if u let yourself obviously take care of your personal possessions esp in the souk and square expect begging its a poor place! but watch the square come alive with the street dancers monkeys snakes and fortune tellers its an amazing experience!!!!!!! enjoy!"

• Travel date: 17th October 2008

I highly recommend this hotel. Prime lo...

Reviewed 27th April 2007

"I highly recommend this hotel. Prime location close to the main attractions, food places and in easy walking distance of the train station. We stayed on a B&B basis but food was excellent, lots of choice. Rooms were spacious, very clean and well kept. Nice pool area and onsite gym and therapy facilities (massage). Staff very friendly and helpful. Gave good advice on what attractions we could go and see. Also have a good car hire rep which organised travel for us and was cheaper than the mainstream places plus included the driver. You don’t want to drive yourself in Morocco."

• Travel date: 27th April 2007

Weather Forecasters were wrong

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"Just returned after a 4 night stay. Hotel is fine, room had 2 double beds in and small balcony. Most annoying thing were the maids. On our second morning there they opened the door at 07.30 and 08.45!! Next morning at 09.00! Good job we were not on our honeymoon! Breakfast kept us going until mid afternoon, but would have liked to see fresh fruit. Weather on all sites were saying about 63 degrees for the 4 days ,turned out to be about 80 degrees. Lovely. Silly thing about bar not serving wine- beer ,spirits but no wine- get it from room service- a fast and easy process- enough English spoken to be easily understood. The Piano Bar previously mentioned is now the Oriental, the small off licence is a bit seedy and may (?) only serve males. If you want an alcoholic drink in Marrakech it cannot be on the outside terrace. Bar 6, turn left then right,serve alcohol but you must buy a meal (pasta, pizza or other but not a sandwich or pannini ), to sit indoors and to have your drink at the table otherwise you have to drink it at the bar. Good location Lovely pool.Not much information on trips 220DM for a morrocan buffet in restaurant"

• Travel date: 9th April 2007

Lock up your valuables

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We stayed at the El Andalous from 25 March to 30 March. On Tues 27th we arrived back to our room (416) at about 3pm having visited the Marjorelle Gardens to find our room had not been made up. However the cleaning trolley was only a few rooms away so we simply deposited our back packs etc and went to the foyer lounge to read for an hour or so. On return to our room we found it had been made up but my Fuji camera was missing. You will draw, I am sure, the same conclusions as we did. The staff at reception listened to our story but otherwise were totally unhelpful . They made no contact with us again. So , If you must go to this hotel, make sure you lock up your valuables-- at ALL times."

• Travel date: 4th April 2007

Not a Four Star

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"Bit disappointed to be honest. Booked through Lastminute.com and probably paid a bit too much for what we got. I'll be brief: On the Good Side: - Really nice bar with a very authentic feel - Nice Pool and Garden to relax and enjoy the sun - good location if you want peace and quiet - Medina is about a £2 taxi ride On the Bad side - Food is poor and expensive - Rooms are shabby at best - Sheets are not clean - Service is poor/unfriendly/sometimes rude In conclusion, if you get this for less than £65 night its not bad but don't be expecting a UK 4star hotel because that it aint."

• Travel date: 27th March 2007

a good choice for a fantastic city

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"Just come back from staying at the El Andalous and had a very enjoyable stay. The reviews on this site for the hotel are excellent and were a great help when deciding where to stay, so I will try not to repeat too much what has already been well documented. As recommended I asked for a pool view room which was a big bonus with stunning views of the snowy Atlas Mountains. Hotel is clean and comfortable, yes it is a little bit frayed and I have never had a bath towel with a huge whole in the middle that I could wear the towel as a poncho before. But its all part of the charm who wants to stay in a sterile environment and no where is perfect after all. Staff were very pleasant and helpful with the exception of the doormen in local Berber costume who seem to have an air of arrogance about them. Food at the hotel very good, breakfast is nothing spectacular however and its a bit unusual as fellow guests can smoke while dining. So try and avoid sitting next to a table full of chain smoking French tourists ! Definetly recommend eating at the nearby restaurants of Le 6 and Caruso's on AV Mohamed VI Pool is great and well maintained, gardens not huge but pleasant with its own tortoise so try and avoid catching the little fella when moving sun lounges. As mentioned before its a short walk 15 mins to the old city, also about 15 mins in the other direction to the Menara Gardens. The hop on hop off Marrakech tour bus has a stop outside too, tickets purchased off the driver not in the hotel. Only niggle I have about the hotel was the nightly entertainment which usually went from 9pm till midnight. My room was on the third floor and I could hear everything. As with most other reviewers main downside are the taxi drivers from the airport, its a shambolic operation. Driver wanted MAD150.00 at first and when I said MAD100.00 he walked away only to fetch a friend back with him, we agreed on MAD120.00 for the short dusty ride. By the looks of my taxi driver he needed the extra money for extensive dental work poor chap. Taxi from hotel back to the airport was MAD100.00 Have a great time"

• Travel date: 18th March 2007

Overlook the food

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"We travel extensively on business and leisure abroad on average over 20 times a year. We found this hotel to be very nice with friendly staff, but absolutley terrible canteen food. The hotel also is in quite a poor location on the outskirts of the city and bordering a dustbowl building site. Can't say I could recommend this hotel, but if you can get it for 2 star prices online as we did ( £620 for the two of us halfboard from Inverness), then you will recieve a 3 star hotel with serious food issues and a very nice pool."

• Travel date: 16th March 2007

Lovely and relaxing

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"Read up quite a lot about the different hotels on offer before settled on El Andalous. It sounded like a nice place - and it was! I was more than pleased with my stay there, granted I don't know what other hotels in Marrakesh are like. The staff were cheerful and helpful. The pool was clean and the pool attendant regularly swept up any debris that may have fallen from the trees. I agree with other reviews that the hotel is probably more three star than it's current 4 star status. But it's clean and tidy and offers what you want from a hotel. Although if you want a 5 star resort this is not it. This hotel is a bit worn, but it only gives it a bit more character in my opinion. I would recommend it to my friends and family. It is also in a great location, easy walking distance to both Gueliz and the Medina. The very tacky open top bus tour also has a stop right outside!"

• Travel date: 13th March 2007

perfect location

Reviewed 1st November 2012

"Stayed for 10 days, returning 7th March 07, on arrival we were met at the door and relieved of our baggage`s, check-in was the quickest ever, all done with a smile, 5 minutes later we were in the room on the top floor overlooking the city with brilliant views of the snow capped atlas mountains. Pool area is brilliant, heated spotless outdoor pool, a good size too, plenty of sunbeds, towels are 100dh depoit, refunded on return, food around pool is ok, a beer is 50 dh (£3 ish). The ichbilia bar has entertainment on 6 nights per week, it gets very busy at weekends with the locals and with weekenders, a beer is around £3 a pop, spirits about the same, wine you have to purchase from the restaurant for some reason! (the bands they have play to the younger local professionals rather than the tourist so it is exclusively arabic, this wasn`t a problem as its what i expected, however it does go on at times!!) The waiters in both the restaurants are brilliant, the larger buffet restaurant has hot and cold choices, breakfast is continental in the main, plenty of warm, fresh cooked bread, jams, meat, cheese etc, also oatcakes, scrambled eggs etc. Evening meal usually has cold straters, then 2 hot meat and fish dishes along with a veg option, accompanied with either pots, rice or couscous The smaller ala carte restaurant has a more defined menu for an additional 70dh (£4) Location couldn`t be better, jemaa el fna (main square) is about 20 mins walk away, as is the "downtown area" in the opposite direction (mcdonalds & pizza hut if you need your fix). Marrakech itself is brilliant, you are completely safe walking, something we did most days and nights, jemaa el fna is a wonder in itself, sit on the balcony of the cafe de paris and watch the sun set over the katoubia mosque while the square comes to life, barrows selling the finest freshly squeezed orange juice on the planet for 20pence a glass, barbeques cooking everything you could wish for, snake charmers music mixes with the smells to make it a truley magical scene, one that will live me for ever! (we were told to keep a close grip on valubles, something i would do anywhere in england, but i didnt feel threatened in the least, use your common sense!!) The markets is all what you would think, they do ask you to look in every shop, but a polite no merci was enough most of the time, its like a rabbit warren in there, you will get lost, everybody does, but its a colourful expierience not to be missed Take a petit taxi from the airport into town, they ask 200 dh (£12!!) each when you walk out of the terminal plus more for your suitcases but pay no more than 100dh (£6)per taxi for up to 3 persons and your luggage!! they try the same scam on everybody, just tell em you will pay no more than 100, its only 7km/10 minutes! A great alternative to eating in the hotel, is a 10 minute walk away, as you walk out of the hotel gates, turn left, then immediatly left again along the side of the hotel and walk 2 blocks to the main road, turn right and walk 400 yds to "le bar6" great panini`s accompanied by "homemade" chips and a small salad for £2!! Across the road they are building extensions to the royal mirage hotel, however behing the screens is a supermarket that sells 1.5L bottles of water for 6dh (40pence) they charge 22dh in hotel and beers at 10dh (60 pence) they charge 50dh in the hotel, you can take em down the pool so save yourself a few quid. Have a trip in to the mountains, the snow was still there for us, its beautiful up there and the stop offs are an adventure in themselves. If you`ve got the time pay £7 for a first class return to casablanca on the train, its £5 second class!!! Would i return? yes, without question, the hotel in the main is good, the location is really good. Marrakech is wonderful."

• Travel date: 9th March 2007

Hotels near Hotel El Andalous

Top traveller tips for Hotel El Andalous

• by sim242

"Smile at everyone, treat people the way you want to be treated."

Hotel El Andalous is also called