Incredibly rude staff

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"My stay here was ruined by the incredibly rude staff. If I was to write all of the incidents where the staff were rude then this would be a very long review. But the worst by far was one member of staff becoming aggressive towards me and my family (which includes my nieces and nephews, children) shouting obscenities in Arabic and having to be held back by other staff. When I went to complain about this mans disgusting behaviour at the front desk, it did not seem like they really wanted to do anything to reprimand him.
The tall guy at the front desk never once smiled and made it feel like any request (even checking in) he was doing us a favour.

The table tennis bats were always hidden and not given to us. We had to literally go around asking every staff member we could to find it, only finding out that it was with the guy we asked first. I don't really know what it was, whether it was the children that they didn't like (although billed as a family hotel) or just that fact we were in a large group. We were all very courteous to everyone but the staff were just very rude to us.

The hotel itself, the rooms are very dated, the air con units do not work and need upgrading. The beds are decent but the pillows are horrid, I made the rookie mistake of seeing what the pillow looked like under the pillow case......all I can say is, if you want to sleep with a pillow in this hotel, bring your own.

The TV's are old and only have a few channels. The remotes are battered (I asked for a replacement but both were in the same state, not working).

The lobby is nice and open and so is the pool area. Great place to sit and enjoy the whether if it wasn't for certain staff members there ruining our stay.

Me and my wife travelled the world for a year (2010/2011) and stayed in all types of accommodation you can think of, none were as bad as this place because although the hotel is more or less what you pay for (actually, less, definitely less), the attitude of the staff makes this very unappealing. "

• Travel date: Tue 25th of December 2012

Very dissapointing

Reviewed Fri 30th of September 2011

"This is not a 4 star hotel at the very most I and other visitors would say it is a 2.5 star. It is very dated hotel, the air con doesnt work and the cleanliness is questionable with cockroaches in bedroom? Went during Ramadan so staff were not in the best of moods and pool bar staff were constantly arguing with each other. Went for 10 days and couldnt wait for it to end as spent most of it having what I now know to be Salmonella poisoning. As booked B & B and ate lunch there each day at the pool side restaurant I cant be 100% sure it was contracted at the hotel but the cleanliness of the chefs aprons was much to be desired as definitely not a mornings worth of dirt showing. Also the breakfast in the morning when they did decide to refill some food items after running out, was left uncovered and not chilled. The hot milk urn was eventually refilled as even though they tried tilting it was unable to get more milk out of it, only some curdled scummy milk remains which I declined to have as I already was suffering with an upset stomach by the 4th day. Did not supply sufficient amount of toilet rolls either
and had to send my daughter out in the middle of the night to find some. When having lunch at the pool, tomato ketchup was limited to one small bottle between everyone. On one occasion where they did not have any at all, we were informed that it was on its way, to then be presented with one McDonalds sachet between 2 of us. The pool was nice and clean, however my daughter developed an eye infection in both eyes and had to have medication to help ease this.
To top it all I was then mugged and had my necklace grabbed from my neck just 50yards from the hotel entrance - not the hotels fault, but feel their reception staff could have been more helpful although one of them was and arranged for a taxi with driver who could translate for me to take me to the police station. The holiday rep was totally useless as could not even give any tourist information. All in all, I would not go back to this hotel or Marrakech come to that again, even if you paid me to. Meds Hotels and Purple Holidays who advertise on Teletext and who I booked through are not at all interested and although I have medical proof from my gp which I have forwarded to them, they say that most people get a jippy tummy when away in hot climates. I have been to hotter climates and have never ever experienced salmonella before, and this is not just a 'jippy tummy'. "

• Travel date: Fri 30th of September 2011

Apprehensive at first, but relieved once we arrived

Reviewed Fri 15th of April 2011

"After having read the reviews for Amine Hotel, I must admit I was a little apprehensive regarding my reservation made at Amine Hotel. However, upon arrival at the hotel, the entrance looked lovely from the outside, and cleanliness was noted immediately.

Customer Service was excellent. The hotel porter escorted and carried our luggage to the hotel room for us. I wouldn't rate the hotel bedrooms as 4*, more 2 or even 3*, however, the rooms were clean, tidy and sufficient to stay within. Room service was efficient, with 5 towels changed on a daily basis, and floors tidy and clean. I couldn't fault the service whatsoever. Having normally stayed in 4* hotels in Dubai and various other destinations, the rooms didn't meet my expectations, having said that, the rooms were kept to a reasonable standard each time we returned from our outing.

Buffet breakfast was more of a continental breakfast, so no fry ups!! However the fresh bread was tempting enough to sacrifice your fry ups for the week!

Swimming pool was kept clean at all times. There was hotel entertainment with some arabian dancing and singing on the Friday night.

I cannot fault the hotel in any way despite the reviews I have read regarding the hotel. All I ask is that the negative reviews of this hotel were not at all experienced by me or my husband during our stay. I would highly recommend the hotel to my friends, and would definitely stay there again."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of April 2011

Reviewed Thu 16th of September 2010

"We arrived at the hotel on a Friday morning around 11.00am and were thrown some forms to fill in and told to wait as the rooms were not ready.
After a 3 hour wait in reception we asked what time they expected the rooms would be ready as we were very tired and they told as less than another hour! We were eventually shown a room, which somebody had obviously just vacated, not cleaned, beds unmade,rubbish in rooms etc , when we asked to move the gentleman at reception seemed very uninterested and we were told not until tomorrow. After 1 night in the awful room, which although the beds were eventually made it was not cleaned, we were moved to another room, which was more satisfactory.
Breakfast the following morning consisted of different breads, not at all fresh, jam or marmalade or pancakes, some days there were stale cornflakes and melon and plenty of olives and tomatoes.
Entertainment was practically non existent in the hotel and although we booked only B&B we tried dinner here one evening and ended up with very upset stomachs.
All in all the hotel is very disappointing a complete revamp is required,reception staff could be a little more helpful and the food needs to be reviewed. On average a 2/3 star hotel, to be listed as a 4* leads to great dissapointment. "

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of August 2010

its not 4 star

Reviewed Wed 26th of May 2010

"this is definetly not a 4 star hotel, far from it. the staff wernt helpful and the air conditioning did not work for the 7 days we were there. we asked them to turn it on and they said they werent going to turn it on for one room due to it coming from a central system!! teh pool was full of leaves and dead insects!! couldnt play table tennis, they couldnt find the ball!! we talked to a few tourists and a they were dissatified with place!! ladies and gents i strongly suggest you saty away from this place"

• Travel date: Tue 25th of May 2010

Last year; Turkey, Monaco & Corsica. The...

Reviewed Fri 21st of March 2008

"Last year; Turkey, Monaco & Corsica. The first one of 2008 was to be Marrakech. Reading the various reports made us feel ill with concerns over our choice! However, we were pleasantly surprised. The Hotel Amine starts off by looking like a 4 star (great reception/lobby) but the fades as you see the basic rooms and facilities. (No mini-bar/hairdrier/iron/room safe etc. Ours did not have a balcony either. After one night we asked to upgrade and pay extra, to have a balcony room. No problem...and NO CHARGE! When you consider we only paid £240 each for the 7 night holiday, you really can't complain. (We paid that for one night in Monaco!!). Rooms apart (which are clean and cleaned every day), the rest of the hotel facilities were very good. Pool and surroundings excellent. The food was a tad boring but once again, it was half board for £240 (the flight included in that price, so the hotel can't be making too much). Previous reports have said the drinks in the hotel were expensive. If you consider £1.50 for a medium size glass of a decent white/rose, maybe you ought to go to Torquay and pay up to £3.00 a glass. If you have booked the Amine, go with an open mind. Remember you are not paying the earth for your holiday (if you are, change your operator!!) and yes, they find it easier to speak French/Arabic (as we prefer to speak English, no matter which country we are in) but at lot of them do speak some English. Buy a phrase book before you go and you will be surprised how much they will appreciate your efforts. Be careful in the Medina area. There are touts that 'pretend' to be helpful and offer to show you the way to the leather tanneries/gold souk etc. ("no charge, my friend, I just want to help you"). In actual fact he is being paid by the business he introduces you to. The guide in the tannery wanted 100Dh, after showing us the yard from 2 different locations! A Tajine in the market place costs 80Dh. You can buy one elsewhere for 40Dh. That said, all in all and like for like, a good holiday."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of March 2008

Just come back from morroco and having p...

Reviewed Sat 16th of February 2008

"Just come back from morroco and having previously read comments on the Amine hotel i must admit i was worried,however i was pleasantly surprised,the hotel is although out of the main centre it is well placed for peace and quiet and bus services.We found both petit taxi's and grande taxi's readily available just outside.The staff were great ,friendly and really understanding our lack of french.The rooms were tired but large and clean and had great views.The food both breakfast and the evening meal were well presented tasty and plenty of it.So in all we had a great stay and i would recommend this hotel as what iti s a mid-range well presented mid-priced establishment."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of February 2008

This is definitely not a 4* hotel! More...

Reviewed Tue 8th of January 2008

"This is definitely not a 4* hotel! More like 3 *. We had half board and the food was monotonous and often cold! Waiters more concerned with being tipped than giving service.

We were told we could not eat at the hotel on New Year's Eve at 8.30pm unless we paid another £100 and when all other places were booked up. It completely ruined the holiday.

The receptionists were very unhelpful about this and one looked as if he was going to hit me, snatching documents, and ripping them!

The experience is the hammam was not great--just a hot shower aimed at the ceiling to create steam! The massage was very rough and the masseuse was rude. Swimming pool freezing cold and very dirty.

Will not be returning!"

• Travel date: Tue 8th of January 2008

short break

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"Hotel Amine is a 10 minute taxi ride from the city centre or a walk along a busy main road, so it is a bit of a trawl getting into town, however it does have a pool which you wouldn't get in the city centre, so you need to decide whether you want a pool or easy access into the city as you won't get both. THe pool is great in the heat and to be able to have a dip after a hot day more than makes up for the rather out of the way location. The food is ok, the staff are nice and the rooms are clean and more than adequate - overall you get a decent holiday for the price and as long as you are prepared for the (short) taxi ride into town it is a good place to stay - there is absolutely nothing in the area though the tour bus does stop nearby but the service is not frequent enough to rely on that. By Morrocan standards the service is pretty good. Really need some French to get by but the staff mostly got by in English"

• Travel date: Sat 8th of December 2007

A Pleasant Stay

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Well it was our first time in Morocco (4 Sisters) so naturally we were nervous about the whole experience! Upon arriving at the hotel at approx 9pm we were welcomed by a porter and then served at the main reception desk by friendly staff. Our luggage was taken to the room but to be honest we didn’t like the room because it bordered a road so there was a lot of road traffic! The next morning we asked to change rooms, and we were given two pool-side view rooms. These were lovely! The rooms are very clean. House-keeping do a good job of keeping them well maintained. My only qualm would be the pillows! You're better of bringing your own! Breakfast was ok, a nice variety- croissants, bread, pastries, salad, fresh orange juice, coffee and tea. Can't complain! Communication was a struggle as a lot of people spoke French- especially housekeeping and a few members of staff. But we got by! I must warn you of a few arrogant men! A man's world out there so you have to be careful! Otherwise- a very pleasant stay at the hotel- oh and taxi's are readily available outside the hotel too!"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of December 2007

a good base for exploring

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"I stayed here with my mum. I read the previous travellers reviews and it was really helpful. no sign of cockroaches, only snake charmer show in the bar one night!!
The hotel was clean, quite efficient and we asked to be moved to a pool view room and that was no problem at all.
our room was basic, certainly not UK 4 star, more like 2 1/2 or 3. the lights were swinging off wires in the walls and every time I flushed the loo the handle came away in my hand! It gave us a good laugh and we felt safe and happy there. (no tea or coffee in the room so take a kettle if you like a cuppa).
the pool is lovely and I also think the location is good because it is away from the hustle and bustle of the medina and the sun stays a good while on the pool. The Amine is a short ride on the bus to the Medina and we were fine doing that. We also went on the open top sight seeing bus which was good for getting our bearings and an overview of the city and the surroundings.
The staff at the hotel were freindly and really do appreciate a bit of effort in basic french or an arabic thank you.
taxi in the evening from the airport to the hotel was about 130 Dirham. Day time it was 100 Dirham.
I'd definatley go back again, its not posh luxury but just fine if you are looking for safety, comfort and sunshine."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of October 2007

I read some reviews before I went to ho...

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2007

"I read some reviews before I went to hotel Amine. Which I may add were unfounded. I found the hotel clean and comfortable.

The staff could not have been more caring. The food was excellent. All the waiters could not have been more welcome. I am definitely planning on going back next year. I normally am so glad to get home after a holiday, but I am missing all at the hotel Amine and cannot wait to see them all next year. I came back on the 4th Oct 2007 and the weather was glorious.

Thank you all at Amine if you read this. Ann& Lisa."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of October 2007

Hotels near Hotel Amine

Top traveller tips for Hotel Amine

• zaf by zaf

"stay away from this hotel "

• Michael Halliday by Michael Halliday

"I would not recommend the Amine to others "

• Amazed by Amazed

"You can use Wifi in the foyer of the hotel. Use the bus (No. 1) catching it from across the hotel. Restaurants outside the hotel, stretching a mile long. "

• Bazza1983 by Bazza1983

"Don't stay in hotel amine "

Hotel Amine is also called