Terrasse

A Great Experience

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"Stayed in Hotel Ali in October for 3 nights, 1 before a big trek and 2 after. Great food there in the evening when i arrived and a great breakfast. Dont expect luxury rooms, but I think that booking a luxury hotel would make your stay less 'authentic'. I had a great stay in this hotel, with a great view from the rooftop (especially at night). Also probably one of its best features is the main square and the souks right on its doorstep. If you got to the main square, you MUST try the orange juice. :)"

• Travel date: 1st June 2007

Worth a look

Reviewed 18th October 2012

"I stayed at the Hotel Ali, twice during my trip to Morocco. On the plus side, it offers a great terrace to view the activity in the Djemna el Fna square, a good location, and a good restaurant and buffet. The hotel rooms are alright and there are always seemed to be hot water during my stays. If you're coming from anywhere in Marrakech it's easy to get to, with close access to Blvd. Mohhamed V, the main route through town. The badside is the place can be loud, and several times the staff at the front desk seemed downright rude(although not all the time). While attempting to pay for mylast night at the hostel, I was repeatedly ignored while they counted stacks of currency. It got to the point that I almost left without paying, before finally the female desk clerk took my payment while cursing at me in Arabic. And while the hostel rooms are cheap (60 dirhams), they can be incredibly noisy with their location right above the kitchen and dining area. I also spotted two mice and a small cockroach in the dorm room, not the greatest company. Paying for a hotel room is a decent option, but only the dormitory rooms are available you might want to consider somewhere else."

• Travel date: 13th February 2007

Depends on your priorities

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"Stayed for two nights on the cheap. It's not by any means recommended if you want a romantic break in Marrakesh, but if you're considering it all then you're obviously after a cheap room for the night To be fair, that's all I wanted, and I got it. The place is right on the Djma el Fna square and very convenient to the attractions, buses etc. Rooms are probably quite variable. Wasn't happy with mine, reception handed me a few other sets of keys and told me to choose the best one. Roof terrace had a lovely view too. Overall I found them friendly and accomodating, if you're just passing through then it's probably fine out of season, if you want luxury then avoid."

• Travel date: 27th January 2007

Disgusting

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"We stayed 2 night in December 2006 at Hotel Ali. The rooms were absolutely disgusting. There was a foul smell, a big draft through the closed window, the bathrooms were dirty and gross. OK, so Hotel Ali costs only $25 a night and is right by the Djemma El Fna. But its convenient location and affordable rooms are by no means redeeming factors. When we checked into the room, the previous guest's used soap and water bottle were still in the bathroom. Clearly, they dont clean the rooms. There were large hotels in the bathroom walls and it it smelled disgusting. A family of seven cats live in the hallway. There are cats all over the hotel and downstrairs in the restaurant as well. The meal that comes with the room was greasy and unappetizing. I will NEVER stay in Ali again and will never recommend it to anyone. Its by far the worst hotel ive stayed in."

• Travel date: 17th January 2007

Terrible rooms

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"Two lots of friends had recommended Hotel Ali to us so maybe we just had a bad experience. We had returned from a three day trip to the desert and were in need of showers and a good night's sleep. Hotel Ali assigned us rooms off the rooftop terrace. Our room stunk and we had to sleep with the balcony door open because the smell was so stale and the bathroom wasn't clean. We were travelling with my mum and her room had a nest of bull ants in the shower and the beds were dirty. We were tired and it was late at night when we checked in so we couldn't be bothered finding anywhere else. We have stayed in numerous budget hotels and hostels around South-East Asia and Europe and nothing has ever been close to how bad this was. Also, the reception staff were totally distracted and unhelpful to the extent that we had to help oursleves to guest registartion forms! Definitely wouldn't recommend or stay again. We stayed in other places in Marrakech for not much more money and they were so much better."

• Travel date: 13th June 2006

Pretty Good Place

Reviewed 18th October 2012

"I stayed for 4 nights just after Easter and found the hotel to be clean and welcoming, however i will give a word of caution; I booked through Hostel World (following a link from the Lonely Planet website). When i arrived i was told that i wouldn't be able to have the type of room i had booked for every night i was staying and i was also told that the price i had been quoted was incorrect as i had been given low season prices and visiting in April is classed as high season. I did feel that the staff did all they could to accomodate my requirements and in the end i did get the room i wanted. Generally my stay was good, the food was good and plentiful. The location of the hotel makes it very busy and quite noisy however it was worth it to be right by the main square in the centre of town. The hotel is a busy place that obvoiusly has quite a 'backpacker' following, this made it very busy and it seemed as though the place never really sleeps!!"

• Travel date: 26th April 2006

Good budget oprion for Marrakesh

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"This place is a good budget option in Marrakesh. The rooms were decent and there was lots of hot water. You can't beat the location close to the square and there's a nice pattiserie next door if you want some good coffee to supplement the typical Moroccan hotel breakfast. There was also free internet which was great. The hotel was always very busy so don't stay here if you want somewhere small and intimate (for the same price Hotel Sherazade had a lot more charm - see my other review)."

• Travel date: 16th January 2006

In the centre of it all

Reviewed 20th October 2012

"After a week trekking through the Atlas mountains Hotel Ali seems like a palace! For dinner they do a spread of traditional Moroccan dishes and breakfast inlcudes tea, coffee, orange juice, omlettes and oranges. Hotel Ali literally opens out on to the sqaure (so i don't know where the 4 minute walk came from in the other review!). The staff are more than happy to exchange any currency at the reception desk into DH but cannot change it back again. It is within walking distance of most tourist attrations and a number of resturants. All the staff are very friendly here - any problems just ask or you can just have a random conversation with about anything (including Fatima!)"

• Travel date: 19th February 2005

morocco by night

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"We stayed in Hotel Ali with two young children and it was pleasent, clean. The staff were friendly and adored the kids. My fovourite time was on the roof of the hotel, overlooking the main square, absorbing the sights, sounds and smell of Marrakech at night. An experience not to be missed."

• Travel date: 16th January 2005

a great travelers budget hotel

Reviewed 22nd November 2012

"Hotel ali is a well run budget hotel do not expect lux here.what u should expect is tatty rooms and hot water. this hotel is a great place for a budget traveler to relax and meet the world. the room cost includes a hot cooked breakfast ( fried eggs) toast,coffe,tea,milk and juice. it also includes internet access ( say hello to fettah for me) if you fo not need the lux of a fancy hotel this place will fill your bid. they also can set up many excursions and the best prices in town. best of all it is just 4 min walk to el fna ( the main square. in the thick of it all . if ya go also say hello to cebre the aging porter tell him ( well have someone tell him he speaks not english) hello from the bearder american :) ps make sure to book they are very often full."

• Travel date: 11th September 2004