Good

This new luxury hotel, located in the Hi...

Reviewed 26th June 2008

"This new luxury hotel, located in the Hivernage, has opened in December 2007. It is composed of suites only + villas scattered in a park. Hotel has two pools (one heated, the other not). Very impressive lobby, wonderful Moroccan decoration, large rooms (70 sqm minimum) but poor sound insulation: we could enjoy our neighbours' late return or early departure... Prices are very high, too high for Marrakesh... and very high even for this hotel which claims to be top luxury. Service was very good. The restaurant was excellent, expensive but worth it. Although the place has only been opened for six months, some doors/windows are still unfit or damaged, which is a pity. This place almost has everything it requires to become one of the leading places in Marrakesh, but they saved too much on building costs... What a pity!"

• Travel date: 26th June 2008

Overrated as a 5 star

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"Just returned form a 6 day trip to Marrakech staying at the Es Saadi Hotel. We have stayed in many 4-5 star hotels around the world and was a little disappointed in the Es Saadi for the amount that we paid per day. There is one main restaurant in the hotel and a snack bar by the pool which we found to have little variety by the way of snacks. The oriental Spa is not as good as one would expect and the staff are less friendly if you don't speak french........so great tip ....learn a few sentences in french before you go. The pool was nice and big and kept very clean at all times. The hotel has a casino with a few slot machines and tables for the more serious gambler. Next door is the Theatro disco which plays heavy dance music up to 5am, we were on the 3rd floor and found it a bit loud at times.................try and get a room above the 3rd floor. The hotel is situated in a lovely part of Hivernage (The new area) but, be prepared there is alot of building works going on and can get noisy. Marrakech is a wonderful, vibrant city with a lot to see and do.......not for the faint hearted though. Make sure that you spend all of your dirhams before going to the airport as they only accept euros and pounds in duty free. If youhappen to be travelling by Atlas Blue, i hope you are only 5ft as its a tight squeeze. Our overaall advice if you are expecting 5 star then i would say the Es Saadi is 4 star. Marrakech is a fabulous place."

• Travel date: 28th May 2007

Not a haven for golden oldies after all

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"My husband and I spent a couple of days here before and after Easter, encouraged by the reviews saying it was full of older French guests (ie hoping it would be quiet with good food). In fact, it was full of 30-something French couples each with a minimum of 4 children. The poolside area is perfectly adequate for sunbathing etc but is not suitable for children running around shouting and playing. The parents were oblivious to the disturbance they caused anyone trying to read or have a chat. The food,however, did not disappoint. We had lunch each day at what the hotel calls a "pool snack bar" but was actually a lovely outdoor restaurant with big shady white umbrellas and linen tablecloths and napkins. There is an a la carte menu and a set 3 course lunch. This was far too much for us, but you can order just the main course of the day (a choice of 3 or 4 dishes) for 170 Dirhams. We always had the fish, which was beautifully cooked and presented. Even just a half bottle of white wine came in an ice bucket. The waiters were all very well turned out in white jackets - all in all a very stylish experience, nothing like a snack bar. The indoor bar in the evenings was pretty gloomy and, unbelievably for anywhere purporting to be 5 star and have aspirations to style, it had a TV tuned to sport. One night a group of Italians was literally screaming at a football match. We had to cancel our drinks order and the waiter was very apologetic about it - not his fault, but where was the manager who is supposed to be aware of what is going on? The Es Saadi is also the unlikely home of one of the hottest nightclubs in Marrakesh next to the casino. It starts up at 11.30 at night and continues till after 4AM. If you have an Atlas-view room (more expensive) you can hear the thump-thump of the bass. It kept us awake even with earplugs. We asked to change rooms to the other side and the management expressed astonishment that we heard anything and claimed that nobody else had ever complained. One receptionist even told me to shut the window and pull the curtain and "then you will hear nothing" - as if we had not done this... However, when I was moving our stuff to a room on the quiet side with the help of a charming young porter he chattily told me that many guests complained about the noise! The Head of Housekeeping, a wonderfully efficient lady called Samira, was far more helpful and understanding about this than the front desk and sorted the move in no time. The hotel is in a great location, just a few minutes walk from both the Medina and the new town in the other direction. As long as you do not overlook the casino, it is also in a quiet spot, which is a relief after the noise and crowds of the traffic and souks. There is a huge building boom going on in Marrakech, both in the new town where huge areas of old French villas are being bulldozed to make way for big hotels and also, more alarmingly, in the Medina where several acres are currently just a big construction site. Go before it gets worse..."

• Travel date: 22nd April 2007

And will go back again.

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We have just come back from our third trip to the Es Saadi and still think it is a great place. Why people complain about the age range i don't know - this time we managed to book druing a school holiday and I must say I prepfer to be with people in the later years rather than children but we enjoyed ourselves as much as ever. The staff make it what it is and without them they would have just a rather tired hotel - with them they have a place to remember and be remembered - can't wait till the next time"

• Travel date: 9th April 2007

Whatever happened to customer service?

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"I visited the Es Saddi to use the spa facilities during my January stay in Marrakech. I found the treatments to be very good but the staff both at the hotel and the spa to be extremely rude and unhelpful. It is also worth noting that that athough the hotel takes debit and credit cards, the spa is not happy to do so despite assurances from the front desk, on booking, that payment could be made by card. It took me more than half an hour to pay for my treatments by which time all the relaxation of the treatment had been undone!"

• Travel date: 31st March 2007

Not much bang for your buck

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"Having booked and only then seen some of the negative reviews on this site, we were more than a little apprehensive. Yet Es Saadi is not a bad hotel at all - just a very expensive one, given its age and the region it is in. And it probably does need to raise its game... Despite a recent refurb, the buildings are a bit faded, though we found them perfectly clean and cheery. The air-con however, was less than useless, and our room was uncomfortably hot by mid morning. We had to sleep with the French window open, which was ok (LOVELY birdsong in the morning!) but you could hear music on one of the nights til quite late, which was midly annoying. Staff were on the whole pleasant and helpful. We did not have any problems - between their rudimentary English and our even worse French. The restaurant served truly excellent food and we met very welcoming staff there. Our waiter spoke perfect English. Poolside bar/cafe less so, though still good food. All in all our four days at Es Saadi were okay. I've stayed in much less polished estabs in the developing world. But given the price (c.£100 per night) one might be forgiven for expecting more. (where were the little touches you'd expect of a 5 star eg chocs on the pillow at night, whirlpool bath, walk-in shower - even a kettle in the room?) I'd say the restaurant was expensive but worth it, the accommodation expensive and, to be honest, overpriced. Maybe 3 stars and a rate about half the current one would be more appropriate?"

• Travel date: 7th March 2007

Beautiful Gardens, Unfriendly front desk

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"As an traveler with extensive foreign experience, I have lodged in three to five star rated hotels and have found that all ratings are not consistent. On arrival, we were given a room facing the entrance of the hotel, although we preferred a room facing south (pool side) in order to have more sunlight. At first the front desk informed us that they will change it as soon as one became available. After three days, the young man at the front desk informed us that if we really wanted to change, it would cost an additional fifteen Euros. I asked him why he did not mention this before. No answer; blank stare. I speak four languages fluently; French, Dutch, German and English, and therefore I would not consider language an issue. After agreeing on the increase, we were moved to the other side facing the park, not the pool. This room was quiet and was warmer that the previous one. The only negative was that the bathtub was not cleaned properly and the cover sheet looked like it was not changed. The overall condition of the rooms I would consider slightly above average, since the hotel is showing it’s age. On the positive side, the restaurant was excellent, the servers were friendly and the food was delicious. The hotel park was well maintained, although there was construction in progress. My rating: Hotel 3 stars, Restaurant and gardens 4 stars, Front desk 1 star."

• Travel date: 3rd March 2007

Hope you like disco music till 5am

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"We paid a supplement and booked poolside room. At 12 midnight the disco begins in the club downstairs and continues till 5.00 AM every night. !! So book street side rooms or you will have no sleep. People were taking medication to sleep which cannot be right. There is no mention of this disco and their answer is that they are no different to London hotels, providing music for the young!! The staff at breakfast were inefficient and it took 15 minutes to get a cup of tea served or they forgot it altogether. The restaurant staff were much better I must say. The ATM machine was always running out of money and as you can't get currency to take with you, that was a problem. All in all most people we were with said they would not stay again."

• Travel date: 28th February 2007

An excellent choice of hotel

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"I strongly believe in giving an honest description of my experience of this hotel. Having made the mistake of booking the hotel before reading the reviews, I was somewhat apprehensive about what I could expect. The entire experience was one of great comfort and satisfaction. I found the hotel and staff were superb, the staff being particularly friendly and helpful. I did have one slight experience of a less than friendly response from the Duty Manager over a query with my room, but to be fair and honest, he was under a huge amount of pressure at the time, and he resolved my problem with little delay and to my complete satisfaction, and indeed was more than friendly when the rush of incoming residents was over. I cannot commend the staff highly enough. Clean, polite, well presented, and very welcoming. The hotel was spotlessly clean. The rooms (I experienced both a standard room and a suite), were very comfortable, with a good standard of facilities. I used the Spa, as mentioned in a previous review, and had a traditional Hammam and massage treatment. It was, quite simply, one of the nicest experiences I've ever had. I cannot praise the staff in the Spa highly enough. The restaurant was well deserving of a 5 star rating. The food was excellent, the staff of the same high standard as everywhere else in the hotel. The piano bar was a very relaxing atmosphere, although someone should have shot the piano player (play it again Sam), but perhaps that's just because I am a pianist, and a little hyper-critical! The complimentary snacks with the drinks was a lovely touch. The gardens and pool area, I just couldn't fault. Spotlessly clean, very attentive staff, with every desire catered for. Perhaps I am easily pleased? I don't think so. I found the entire experience of staying at Hotel Es Saadi to be one of the very highest standards, I would have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone, and I will certainly stay there again when I next visit Marrakech in three months time. Sadly, I have been unable to upload photographs on to this review, but rest assured it's beautiful. (And no, I don't have any vested interest in the hotel!!!)"

• Travel date: 15th January 2007

Are you sure this is the right one for you?

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"I recently stayed in the 5 Star Hotel Es Saadi in Marrakech (January 2007) - 5 Star rating on Expedia. It is located in a nice area, quiet and peaceful. I would by far say that this not a 5 star hotel, I have paid less for hotels in New York Mid-Manhattan Area which offer better rooms and service than Es Saadi does. In my view everything is overpriced, oversold and exaggerated it’s probably more like a three star hotel. For the non-french speaking, most of the staff do not speak English and those that do speak it, are reluctant to speak it. If you are trying to book tours/Excursions through the Concierge then a word of warning, all the concierges quoted different prices for the same tour, talking to other people on the tours they paid much less than the lowest price given by Es Saadi. Also having asked the Concierge that if the tour operator will have English speaking guides while they were making our reservation, the blatantly answered Yes, to that question. On the tour itself there was no English speaking guide in sight (they will lie just to sell you the tour). The beautiful gardens they claim are over-glorified on there website and descriptions, the Hotel does not have two clay tennis courts (have to use the facilities of another hotel). The air-conditioning in the room is absolutely useless, even at this time of the year the room got very hot to sleep in at night. The casino was over-hyped, it’s was very small and the machines were in French, I have seen miles better than this at seaside resorts in Britain. Food is expensive, for those who are Vegetarian there is not much you can eat in Marrakech advise you take provisions from home. Tip for telephoning the loved ones, call them from a payphone outside in the streets or a telephone Boutique shop, give them the Hotel phone number and your room number and get them to call you (it’s cheaper to call Marrakech rather than vice versa). My parents tried for over 15mins to call me at the Hotel, as the staff didn’t understand English and were finally put through. So I gave them my room number and the next time they called, they got through pretty quickly as they asked for the room number. I booked my trip through Expedia (which covered all hotel and flights costs and taxes), on leaving Es Saadi they said I had an outstanding bill (which I was not expecting) which they demanded to be pay. On that bill there was a mini bar item which I told them I ma not paying for as I took nothing from the bar. The other items were interesting there trying to tax me for seemed liked a tourist tax and some other tax per night per person. If you do decide to stay at this hotel, do not pay this tax, none of the other hotels seem to charge it, if you have booked via Expedia, Ebookers etc tell the Hotel to take it up them as that is with whom there contract is with. My overall view of this hotel is that is overpriced for what it provides but is situated in nice location. Bear in mind there a lot of other hotels in this area like Sofitel, Le Meridian, Mirage and others which are worth taking a look at."

• Travel date: 13th January 2007

Es Saadi will make you Sad! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"Fellow Travellers: This is by far and away the worst hotel experience I have had in 15 years of travel worldwide. Aside from the dated exterior and interior, the facilities are simply not up to scratch. I used the spa at the hotel on one evening and in particular the hammam. The hotel charges 5-star rates: my hammam (basically a sauna and therapeutic massage) cost 250 Dhirams (approx. GBP16) for 45 minutes. My partner chose the reflexology treatment costing 320 Dhirams for 45 minutes. I don't mind paying for good service but the hammam was tepid - forget about steam, there wasn't any. After asking and being told that this was a "typical" hammam, I gave up and decided to complain to the hotel manager at the front desk. I explained to the hotel manager that I would pay but that the hotel should ackowledge that the service wasn't as adertised. The manager - a French man with about as much charm as a rattlesnake - rather than empathise with my complaint decided to begin an argument with me in the hotel lobby. Rather than accepting I had a valid complaint (as I had later been told by one of the staff that the heat had been lowered for a previous guest), he insisted that one particular Moroccan guest had nothing to complain about. Bizarre line of defence, appalling customer service and appalling manners. The manager managed only to spoil the remnants of my holiday - he is rude, haughty and should, if he was working for me, be removed from his position. This hotel does not deserve 5 or 4 stars. It may have once, in the 11950s or 60s been deemed worthy of such an accolade but given the current state of the place (shabby/gloomy), the prevailing attitude of "we don't give a damn, just give us your money", and the general look of unhappiness on staff faces - Es Saadi deserves at best a 2-star rating or 3 if I'm being generous (which I'm not feeling). My modest suggestion is, if you;re happy to pay around £100/night plus all the frills, go across the road to the Hivernage which is a new boutique hotel with a better quality of front-desk crew, or the Sofitel. Better yet, do what we did and stay in a Riad! Thanks for reading. best wishes."

• Travel date: 10th November 2006