Entrée / Entrance

• atm on site
  • solarium

Worst exp Ever!

Reviewed 6th January 2013

"I stayed at this hotel some years ago, they were listed as a 4* so I thought it was a bargain for the price. (Clearly they rated themselves) As soon as I arrived I noticed the construction work in the garden/pool area so any use of this area was out of the question. In the morning a breakfast of tough dry pastries were on the table in the dinning room along with a bowl of hard boiled eggs. I had no idea how long the food had been out and the staff did not want to acknowledge my existence so I left. The worst part came on my last night, the hotel had no bar and no food in the evening so I decided to stay on site in the lounge & enjoy a hot chocolate. The staff seemed a bit strange when bringing it to me and once I drank it I understood why...it had a roach floating in there. Hours later I was vomiting with all the other crucial symptoms of food poisoning. Which meant relying on the very insufficient resources of the airport bathrooms until my flight came in. Altogether ruined my trip & I will never return to the country again."

• Travel date: 6th January 2013

Clean but slightly corrupt!

Reviewed 23rd July 2012

"Our stay at Hotel Diwane was for the most part ok but an incident which happened on the last morning has put a damper on the whole experience. We had a pre-paid transfer booked from the hotel to the airport which we told the receptionist about who then proceeded to go outside and ask his mate who was waiting outside to take us there, who told us that yes indeed he was our transfer who then demanded we paid again for the journey at the airport. Earlier in the week we asked at reception for a cab somewhere else and they just wandered outside and flagged down some other illicit vehicle for us - absolute joke. We were also changed some form of tax on arrival which we were not forewarned about by the travel company. On the plus side the hotel was very clean and one morning when we missed breakfast, because we were confused about the time change, one of the waiters made us up a plate of food. The pool attendant was very helpful although we did see a rat running around on two occasions. We were also annoyed that you weren't allowed to bring any sort of food or drink into the hotel, including bottled water for which costs about 50p from the shop and "

• Travel date: 23rd July 2012

Definitely not a 4 star

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"We stayed at the Diwane Hotel just a month ago and our thoughts are mixed. Like most comments state, this is definitely NOT a four star hotel so please don't expect too much. The hotel is big and brash and a 30-minute walk from the Medina. It acts as a good base and I think any closer to the Medina might have been a great deal noisier, this was a good spot to hide away. Upon arrival we did not get a wholly warm welcome and there was some confusion with rooms, however, this did get resolved quickly. I got the impression from the concierge that they are incredibly defensive so to get anything from them, you really have to sweet talk them. One particular lady working there - you will be able to spot her a mile off - had an terrible attitude problem and when we tried to bring water into the building - she told security to confiscate it until we checked out because 'the hotel will provide for your needs' - it did not. We asked for water to be brought up to our room, it was not. We then took to sneaking bottles in as sadly this is what you have to do when you are desperately dehydrated. Our room was large, clean and comfortable and also tidied twice a day, the bathroom was clean and there was plenty of hot water. The breakfast was basic, mountains of bread rolls and croissants, cereal, yogurt, fruit and processed ham and cheese. The pool is large and clean and very well tended to- it catches a great deal of sun until about 4pm when the sun goes behind the hotel. There are building works nearby but this is true of pretty much everywhere in Marrakech. The other complaint I had was that the reception is rather large and open meaning that people coming in or any noise in the reception area tends to echo throughout the hotel so we were able to hear people chatting away, suitcases being wheeled across the floor and even cats meow-ing. I think if we were to go back, we'd opt for something a bit more traditional like a nice riad."

• Travel date: 19th November 2007

Could be better

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"I had high hopes for this hotel, but was a little disappointed. The hotel seems to be rated as a four star on most websites, but I get the feeling that the hotel has awarded itself this rating , rather than an official body. The hotel is no more than 3 star and then only just. If you bear this new rating in mind you probably won't be disappointed, especially if you get a rate of around £35GBP per night B&B like I did. The hotel is near to various cafes and has a tourist bus stop right outside. The Main medina is about 25mins walk away, which can be a bit much when there is alot of traffic and the temp. is very high. The hotel manages to tick various boxes - swimming pool, concierge, 2 restaurants, roof top terrace (closed during our stay), money changer, tour desk (French tour groups only by the look of things). The building is quite pleasing and the public areas more than acceptable, with the pool area being a bonus - amazingly quiet and a bit of a sun trap. The room was disappointing and could have been so much better. Smallish, with only one English Lang TV channel. The room was dim and badly lit, but did have a small balcony. There was a fridge, TV and hairdryer and a safe (which we couldn't get to open). The bathroom seemed reasonably a first inspection although again quite dim. The shower head was faulty and sprayed water everywhere (even onto the ceiling), the drainage was poor, botht he bath and sink to 5 mins to empty. There was no tea/coffe making facilities and no room service. You are not allowed to bring your own drinks and food into the hotel, which is surprising seeing as they don't provide food and drink all night. The breakfast buffet was very poor. Tea , coffee, 3 cereals (Morrocan only - no Kelloggs here, therefore they turned into mush as soon as the milk was added), orange juice, 3different pastries, hard boiled eggs, and Morrocan pancake. There was nothing else, and no change from day to day. The eggs were not always hot and not fresh. The juice was of various strengths and was obviously watered down on occassion, the cereals were of poor quality, and the pastries were dry and tasteless. This was possibly the worst buffet breakfast I have ever had - I have stayed at many hotels around the hotel ! The pool was good , although icy cold. The Italian restaurant was reasonably priced, but the food was nothing special - acceptable I guess. The staff by the pool and at the pool bar were helpful and kept us supplied with Casablanca beer!! Although they did run out one night and closed at 11pm - the same time as the restaurant - after 11pm you just have to go to bed or leave the hotel for one thats stays open a bit later. The hotel was acceptable, but if I travelled here again, I would look for a better one, even if I had to pay a bit more. It is not a 4 star and should be either thought of as a lower end 3 star or a good 2 star."

• Travel date: 12th October 2007

enjoyable stay

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"The hotel was in a good area, with an excellent hairdresser and patisserienext door, and some useful shops nearby. My children absolutely loved the pool, which was clean and perfectly kept. It was very pleasant to have cool drinks and to drink tea by the poolside, specially at sunset. I really liked the atrium and the beautiful painted ceilings, plus the rooms have lovely Moroccan touches. The huge roof terrace has good views, specially at night. We had interconnecting rooms with my sister and her children, and were given lovely large rooms and bathrooms. The bed linen and towels were extremely clean, which is not guaranteed in Marrakech! The staff spoke good English on reception, and the rest of the time spoke French. They were frendly and helpful and even got the souvenir shop to open up for me after 10pm, when I wanted to get some shopping done on our last day! The big downside was the flies in the dining room - they were sitting on the food, so only take food from the bottom of the pile! They really must fit some large electric fly repelling machines. Also the room lighting is dreadful so it is permanently dark. They should put in some lamps near the dressing table. But on the whole, a very enjoyable stay..."

• Travel date: 6th August 2007

Excellent Hotel

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"I have recently spent a very enjoyable week at Hotel Diwane with my wife and seventeen years old son. It was extermely clean and comfortable. The staff were very obliging; however we only spoke to them in French. Their English is possibly, understandably limited. The water police on the front door were helpful enough to suggest that water carried in black bags would not be nopticed! It has to be said, however, that this particular obsession by the hotel is a little annoying, particularly at the hottest time of the year. The breakfast was good and plentiful, as would usually be expected in France. Who really expects fruit for breakfast? - this is really a recent trend in British terms and should not be counted as a normal expectation elsewhere. Lunch was fine - both from the menu and the buffet, although some of the cooking sauces were a little bit special in terms of taste. As for the four stars - one has to bear in mind they are African and not European."

• Travel date: 20th July 2007

A Tax on water

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"This hotel is in a very grand building and in a good location; however the 4 stars above the door do not reflect the level of service or food that you will receive once inside. The breakfast is extremely poor, no yogurt, fresh fruit or tined fruit and very poor coffee, and its the same every day, the surly staff don’t add to the breakfast experience. I was prevented from bringing bottled water in the hotel, the security staff and management insisted that only water purchased in the hotel could be consumed in your room. This will considerably increase the cost of your stay at the Diwane. I called it a hotel tax on cleaning your teeth. Don’t give them your money, stay at a hotel with a better level of service & food, this is the only way to encourage them to raise there level of service."

• Travel date: 21st May 2007

Nice hotel @ a reasonable price

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"When we first arrived we thought the area was a little rough, but after being in Marrakech for a day or so we realised it was a pretty good area! The rooms are spacious, we overlooked the pool and had a nice balcony. The hall ways which are modelled on a riad have the most fantastic tiled floors. The breakfast was excellent, we didn't eat any other meals at the hotel though. I left my bag in the breakfast room once and it was still there when I realised and went back for it, so the staff are honest. Its a 25 minute walk to the square or if you can face the hassle you could get a taxi, we walked and came home lighter than we went which makes a nice change. There is a little cafe opposite the main entrance that we ate at a few times. It was excellent it only seemed to serve fish, with side dises and chips etc, but was very very cheap and tasty too. As to Marrekech, I wouldn't go back, the poverty is terrible, no one tells you this side of it in the reviews. We ate in the square and beggars were waiting for us to finish so they could scoop up our leftovers into plastic carriers. And the hassle is unbeliveable. We ended up buying stuff from the government shops with fixed prices , they are not that much more expensive and there is one just up the road (mohammed V) opposite direction from town, on the left hand side. We went to Dar Moha for a meal, lovely setting, food ok, but we ate food as nice in other places. My 14 year old son was with us and he hated Marrekech, Morrocan boys of his age stared at him and some even hissed at him and some men also stared at him in not a nice way.To sum it up it is an experience, but I wouldn't go back, but the Hotel Diwane was lovely, especially for the price you can book it for on line."

• Travel date: 29th November 2006

what hotel !

Reviewed 19th October 2012

"nice hotel and bedrooms are clean..BUT.. every day same foods, the waiters do not let to us eat where you want, nor same on the terrace and they spends more their time has to supervise what to eat you than to disencumber the tables or has to clean the ground of the restaurant. Bread is not fresh and the orange juice containing just a concentrate fruit juice. regarding the place of djemaa el fna two maximum days for visiting no more and very very expensive city. take care about the men who are selling orange juice on djamel el fna place cause he mixing half glass of orange with a very DIRTY water SO FORGET THEM ! turquey is better and less expensif"

• Travel date: 6th November 2006

Good location

Reviewed 14th October 2012

"The Diwane is wonderful to look at. It's one of those flag waving hotels that stands out amongst its more pedestrian neigbours. Diwane is in new part of the city, and as such has botiques and cafes all around it. The city's red hop on/off tour bus has a stop right in front of this hotel to be honest the tour is rubbish. You're better of catching a taxi and seeing any points of interest yourself). You can walk to the Royal Theatre quite easily, or just catch a cab to the main part of the old city for about 10 dirams (this goes up after 8pm, but you shouldn't have to pay more than 20). The hotel has a VERY noisey lift mechanism, which echoes throughout the place. Took us a while to figure out what the noise was - sounds like a velocoraptor from Jurrasic Park. This can be heard when ever the lift stops moving. The roof top terrace was under development when we staying, and it looks like it's going to be great. The views are great. The restaurant is passable - we had breakfast included, but decided to go outside a couple of times once we got tired of the boiled egg and pastry diet. The room was fine, very clean and had a balcony over looking the pool area. There are no english tv stations and no iron is provided. We were told we had to find our own ironing service across the street. So we bought an iron for about 35 dirams :) You do get a fridge, and a safe is available for an extra 20 dirams a day. Staff were reasonably friendly, as long as you didn't ask for anything out of the ordinary. We were told a light breakfast would be left for us upon our 4am checkout. All we found was a sleeping porter and two empty cups in the dining room. Still, the overall experience was fine, and I'd recommend it as a clean, safe place to stay."

• Travel date: 28th March 2006

Above Average Hotel

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"Booked a very late deal through lastminute.com and was pleasantly surprised. Hotel Diwane may not be the 4* it promises but I do feel it was good value for money. Good location in the new part of town, short taxi ride into the media which costs about £1!! Decent restaurants on the doorstep, nice swimming pool (if a little cold) and clean rooms decorated in Moroccan style. Breakfast was more than adequate, range of continental pastries, fruit, cereal, eggs, ham, cheese etc. Be a little careful when booking day trips through holiday reps, they are expensive and despite having been promised an english tour guide we did a 4x4 drive to the atlas mountains and did not understand a word as no translation was given, most disappointing. If you go directly through the tourist office in Marrakech I am told you get a much better deal."

• Travel date: 17th November 2005

standard 3 stars

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"Standard 3 stars hotel. Very poor breakfast. Situated in the new part of the city (Gueliz). 25 min. walk to Jaam el Fnaa."

• Travel date: 7th November 2005

Hotels near Diwane Hotel & Spa Marrakech

Top traveller tips for Diwane Hotel & Spa Marrakech

• by ssharma

"leave and never return!"

• by minisuperjudith

"Smuggle in food and drinks"

Diwane Hotel & Spa Marrakech is also called