Sun Beds

An authentic oasis

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"We stayed at the Dar Silsila on the basis of Tripadvisor reviews. We were not disappointed!! The approach to it is initially a little bit of a culture shock, but once inside the studded door no-one could fail to be impressed. A lovely central courtyard has an impressive water feature, and with areas to sit and check out the many guide books the whole experience is home from home. Jean Patrik cannot do enough for his guests- plenty of sound advice about local restaurants, places to visit and the arrangement of day trips if required. The staff also are first class, very helpful and efficient. During our 1 week stay we had two evening meals cooked for us- they were excellent, and the ambience the staff created for us in the courtyard was atmospheric and a real highlight of the holiday. We stayed in the Junior Suite, a really lovely room which was spacious and spotless (a really comfy bed!!). The fresh flowers were also appreciated. We can really recommend Dar Silsila- in fact we already have to family members who wish to visit Marrakesch. It is a real gem and an oasis in the hustle and bustle of the city"

• Travel date: 22nd March 2007

Beautiful but not the friendliest

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"I wasn't disappointed with this beautiful riad when we arrived. Although the narrow alleyways leading to the front door were frankly a bit nervewracking, the front door opened into a serene white space. Delicately perfumed, with an amazing water feature in the central courtyard. The room we had - the junior suite - was just as the pictures show and the staff there were attentive and excellent. There is an amazing bathroom with a lovely bath. Definitely take the opportunity of having ur breakfast on the terrace as well - it is a great way to start ur day. The only let down I felt was the lack of attention we got from the owner. He was nothing less than nice, but paid for more attention to the middle aged guests than my bf and myself (we're in our mid 20s). Not sure if this was snobbery, but I really felt he didn't give us much time. The restaurant he recommended was amazing though and thankfully cured me of tagine lethargy! (El Fasia). If you're a youngish couple seeking a bit of a romantic getaway then this place is perfect if you want to spend all the time in bed. IF like us and you don't...then maybe this isn't for you. Maybe go for your 25th wedding anniversary and spend the money you save this time on a carpet!"

• Travel date: 12th March 2007

Do stay here!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Dar Sisila Marrakech February 26th 2006 We were a group of four women on a 50th birthday treat and what a treat it was being in Marrakech and staying in this beautiful Riad. As other reviewers have said you can have total confidence in Jean-Patrick' s recommendations and advice and arrangements. He took any organisational stress out of our two night stay so that we could maximise the sight seeing and shopping! He organised taxis for us and even took us in his own car to one restaurant in the new part of the city. Breakfast was yummy and he treated us with good humour and great sevice when we requested cold milk for our first cups of tea and warm milk for our coffee afterwards!! -we are a fussy lot and Jean-Patrick was most accommodating. We had dinner at the Riad and would also recommend that especially if you have had a very early start from Luton Airport as we had. Jean-Patrick works hard to keep Dar Sisila running so well. You will not be disappointed. Enjoy!"

• Travel date: 26th February 2007

Fabulous

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"My husband and I have just returned suntanned and refreshed after a five-day sojourn to Marrakech. Dar Silsila was a great place and Jean-Patrick went the extra mile to help us sort out all our travel plans and days-out, from restaurants to our fantastic trip to the Atlas Mountains. We highly recommend the hotel. And if you love food, you must try the beef tagine meal at the Riad. Top class. We'd love to go back."

• Travel date: 24th February 2007

fantastic

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from a truly wonderful time in Marrakech and exceptional stay at this hotel. The other reviews do not exaggerate on the level of comfort and service at Dar Sisila. We have stayed at 5 star hotels before and can honestly say that the type of hospitality offerred is that of a true "besoke" level which the more discerning traveller will appreciate even if it does not have 5 star facilities. Jean Patrick realising that this was our first stay in the city, on arrival gave us invaluable tips on where to go, what to eat etc and before we knew it we had an itinerary booked for the whole week including 2 trips outside Marrakech and a visit to a hamman. Jean Patrick also booked restaurants for us in the evenings and as a result each time we were given the best places to sit and enjoy the ambiance. I could go on and on but suffice to say a stay at Dar Sisila in my opinion is excellent value for money and I left feeling more of a friend than that of a paying guest. One more thing, take the time to speak to Hassan the night manager, his english is not bad and he will give you an insight into morrocan life if you are prepared to talk to him. Finally we are already planning a return trip to Marrakech and Dar Sisila is the place we will be returning to!"

• Travel date: 18th February 2007

What more can we say?

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"We can only endorse other guests comments - Dar Silsila is an elegant oasis of calm and quiet amid the hustle and bustle that is Marrakech. Jean Patrick is the perfect host who's advice on where to go, where to eat and what to do is better than any of the guide books and we would not hesitate to recommend Dar Silsila to anyone."

• Travel date: 18th February 2007

Every bit as good as they say

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"My wife and I have just returned from 4 nights at Dar Silsila. Most things have already been said by others. Jean Patrik is extremely helpful, his staff are always smiling, and his Dar does indeed feel like a home from home - plus it's fantastically well decorated, the breakfasts are excellent, and above all it's located no more than 5 minutes walk from the main square and the souks. It's well worth taking Jean Patrik up on his offer to organise a taxi from the airport as you would never find the Dar on your own (and at 15 euros it's not too expensive). As for meals - we ate twice on the square (£2.10p for an excellent 3 course meal with drinks - excellent if you're as happy as I am to feast on snails, sheep's head stew, candied figs and mint tea that is!), once at Dar Marjana (a 'palace restaurant' and at the other end of the scale - total cost 600 dirhams plus 10% tax plus service so about 45GBP each; this price includes all drinks) and once at El Fassia (very good value, but nowhere near as good or atmospheric as Dar Marjana). Dar Marjana was the highlight of our whole trip and is only a short walk from Dar Silsila - the decor has to be seen to be believed and if you pace yourself you'll find every course (and there were quite a few!) excellent."

• Travel date: 16th February 2007

Absolutely gorgeous! A real gem

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from a four night stay at Dar Silsila and I agree with everything said. JP is extremely helpful and speaks perfect english which is helpful if your french is rusty like mine! When we were first led to the hotel down little dark dirty back alleys, I was really panicking but when the door opened I was amazed. The place is beatiful and JP has exquisite taste in furnishing and accessories. We stayed in the terrace suite - not much dearer but well worth it. Our room was spotless with the bed made twice a day (I am a holiday napper!) and fresh flowers. The restaurant recommendations are very helpful - definately go to El Fassia - the food was superb - be advised though that the location has changed since most of the guidebooks were published and so get a card off JP. Also get lots of advice from him about taxi fares and local customs etc - we got ripped off a few times but nothing major. The riad is about five minutes walk from the main square and very convenient but you must ask for an airport transfer - there is no way we could have found it otherwise. We had one lunch at the hotel on arrival which was lovely (Aisha is a superb cook) and the only criticism I have is that I thought is was very dear for a lunch without wine at 450 dh which is about £30. After we paid, I thought maybe he thought we had in fact had wine but hey ho, small price to pay for such wonderful service overall. As a general point, get the Time Out guide for Marrakesh and read the bits about what stuff should cost as they do rip you off for example the carriage rides are meant to be 80dh per carriage per hour but another guest proudly told us they had negotiated 400dh and got a great deal so be warned. There is an office of tourist police if you get ripped off which I think we may need in Manchester! Still its all part of the charm I suppose....."

• Travel date: 13th February 2007

Truly exceptional

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"Dar Silsila was a truly magic experience. The discreet door, in a strategic location of the Medina's maze, opens to reveal an extraordinary and peaceful Riad. We were greeted by the welcoming smile of our host, Jean Patrick, and soon were sitting, as if at home, chatting and enjoying mint tea. The accomodation at Dar Silsila is exceptional for the price and has that rare "home" feeling. Our room as well as the African suite that we had the chance to visit, was decorated with excellent taste. It was comfortable, functional and beautiful. But what makes the place really worth the stay is Jean Patrick and his staff, always available to provide unique advice on where to go (and where NOT to go), how to get there etc. This made our stay in this amazing city a near-perfect experience! Jean Patrick's recommandations for restaurants always turned out to be absolutely stunning. Aksing him to arrange the booking does help, we suspect, getting the best treatment available. You will also get plenty of information on excursions, shops and activities - we particulary enjoyed the (very posh) hamam experience. Finally, our dinner on the last evening at Dar Silsila was as perfect as everything else, the little courtyard at the centre of the Riad being transformed into a romantic and cosy dining terrace where we enjoyed excellent food with equally excellent wine. We'll certainly visit Dar Silsila again! Yannis"

• Travel date: 7th February 2007

I've already recommended it to two people

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Jean Patrick and his staff made our stay in Marrakech an unforgettable experience. We particularly appreciated the introduction to the City and the advice on restaurants (Al Fassia & Dar Moha). Also the the home-cooked tanjia one evening. And breakfasts at Dar Silsila were wonderful. The room (Suite Terrace) was clean, tidy, and very comfortable. Ideally located within walking distance of all major sites, the only taxi we required was to/from airport. We have already recommended it to several friends and collegues."

• Travel date: 31st January 2007

Hotels near Dar Silsila

Dar Silsila is also called

• dar silsila marrakech
  • dar silsila hotel marrakech