About Atlas Medina & Spa

• arabic amenities
  • baggage storage
  • breakfast in the room
  • express check in check out
  • currency exchange
  • special diet menus
  • swimup bar
  • squash

Good

Sewer gas backup into the hotel

Good
Reviewed Mon 21st of November 2011

"I love this hotel! The hotel is new, pool area lovely, and the food and beverage staff has improved greatly
Since my visit last month. Alas, this time there was a terrible stench all over the lobby of the hotel, and into our
Rooms. The air conditioning did not work so one was forced to open the windows and let the stench in.
We were told that the smell was due to a sewer back up because it as just been raining.
Nonetheless the smell
Ruined my two days experience in the hotel.
I must commend the spa: best and most courteous spa treatment I have ever received in morocco. they are far
Superior to their sisters in marrakech who giggled throughout the service, barely touched me during the gommage
(I paid extra for the exfoliating scrub) and were rude to me when I wanted to change in their change rooms. The
Supervisor asked me to change in my room which I would have done gladly except that the private elevator from
The spa to my floor did not work. "

• Travel date: Fri 18th of November 2011

Chaos

Reviewed Tue 14th of June 2011

"Chaotic service in the bar pool and twin rooms much too small with beds too close together. On complaining they actually gave us a single room each

If you use the Ladies toilet in the basement be sure you open the right door to leave - otherwise you could find yourself dropping several feet into the lower basement where the pipes are located.

This hotel really does have to up its game though in fairness when you make a complaint Management do try and help."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of June 2011

My partner and I have just come back fro...

Reviewed Mon 24th of March 2008

"My partner and I have just come back from a 4 night Easter break at this hotel and I must say we had the most fantastic time. From the moment we stepped into the reception area which was clean and airy and in line with all things Morrocan from tiled floors and ceilings to fountains we felt relaxed. The check in only took 5 - 10 minutes from the friendly staff then we were shown to our room which overlooked the pool. The room was massive with dark polished wood, large twin beds and a fancy Morrocan sofa and the bathroom had a modern shower/bath with foor and wall to ceiling tiles. Overall the room was cleaned to a high standard every day. In all honesty the only quibble about our room was the fact that we had a mini bar but no bottle opener but as we had taken our own that was not a problem. Even though the breakfast was adequate with breads, meats, cheeses, oh yes and the great scrambled eggs which I had everyday I would think if you were stopping more than a week it would become rather boring but the standard of the food was really good and the staff very helpful.

Quite a lot of reviews have mentioned the fact that the staff don't speak good english but I would suggest you take a french speaking handbook or use your basic school boy french and you will get by. In my humble opinion their english was really good and even if you don't know any french they will help you as best they can to make sure you have a fantastic holiday. They always gave great service with a smile.

The hotel is only 15 mins at the most from the famous Djemma el Fna square which is a must. There are taxis outside the hotel but you must fix a price before you go which was suggested to us no more than 15 - 25 Dirams in the day and 20 - 30 at night as they will try and charge 100 if they can. Mind you we did pay 40 there and 50 back but it's a holiday so just go and soak up that atmosphere and pay what you can afford. While down there we did not eat in the square but in a fantastic restaurant called Le Marrakechi which overlooks it. Wow the food is fantastic, typical Morrocan with tagines and harira soup on the menu in one of the oldest buildings I would have thought going by the decor. It is always best to book or you could find yourself in a queue.

Anyway it was that good we are going to book again for next year. I do hope this review will be of some help out there. Just one last thing most menu's everywhere are in French so take that phrase book and have fun."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of March 2008

Going to this hotel was one of the worst...

Reviewed Mon 7th of January 2008

"Going to this hotel was one of the worst experience that I have ever had since I started to travel and it is no exaggeration! The reasons are as follows:

1- Lack of people at the hotel able to speak English, specially some people at the reception, spa, bar etc.
2- On arrival we had lack of information about the city, places to go unless we specifically asked for it and even then not very helpful. I.e. they didn't really go out of their way to help.
3- The view from the balcony was a view of a building site, even though it is advertised on their website as a view of the swimming pool and green gardens. As a result it was extremely noisy, dirty and uninviting. We asked for a change of room and they promised us twice that they will change it the next day but when the next day came they said that they had no free rooms available, so we gave up asking.
4- As far as the room was concerned, there were drinks in the mini bar with no glasses, no bottle openers and when we asked for them they either could not understand us or when they did, the items never came and then we gave up.
5- Also there were electric plugs hanging out of the wall in the bedroom and the bathroom. This was very dangerous due to possible electric shock.
6- The curtain on the back window leading to the balcony was broken.
7- We had constant interruptions from the housekeepers when we were in the room in the afternoon. They had tendency to enter the room without knocking at any time, this was very intrusive and uncomfortable. We reported this but to no avail, so we had to lock the door all the time.
8- It was suggested in the hotel menu that there is a free wireless internet from the room. This was untrue as I had difficulty accessing the internet from the room and I could only sometime access it from the downstairs lobby! Their technical man who could speak no English whatsoever came to fix the problem many times but unsuccessful. We had to pay to use their computer to access the internet!
9- There were tiles missing in the bathroom.

In conclusion the above problems should not happen in a 5 star hotel. They have a long way to go to be able to compete with proper 5 star hotels. I certainly will not recommend this hotel to any of my friends or family which is a pity."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of January 2008

A beautiful hotel but very disappointed...

Reviewed Sat 5th of January 2008

"A beautiful hotel but very disappointed with service - very poor for a 5star- Staff not very helpful cannot speak good English, very poor for information on what to do in Marrakech, pool was freezing cold could not use it, restaurants were very expensive to eat, no air conditioning in rooms, and service was not good.

Room service was very poor, information by the information desk was wrong we were sent to wrong places twice and ended up paying double fare for taxi. The staff were very bad at explaining or understanding did not have much knowledge or advice and were not helpful at all. There were no leaflets on display and when asked for info they were very poor."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of January 2008

We spent 3 nights at this hotel in Septe...

Reviewed Sun 30th of September 2007

"We spent 3 nights at this hotel in September. The rooms are spacious with large beds and the bathrooms are lovely. Excellent freebie soaps and shower gel too- we brought a load home. We did wish they'd been as generous with the loo rolls as they were with the soaps- we ran out twice.

The pool is huge and has plenty of sunbeds with towels and the public areas are all spacious, spotless, and full of Moroccan features. The shop sells nice souvenirs if you can't be bothered to haggle in the souks- I bought my leather handbag here, as I was wary of nasty smelling ones in the souks.

Breakfast takes place at a respectably timed 6-10am and you can't fault the variety- everything from cereals and fruit to bacon and eggs, hams and cheeses, olives, cakes, bread, a lady making fresh pancakes... you could spend hours just eating. Wash it all down the mint tea theatrically served by the gentleman sitting on the floor.

The only real disappointment was the lunch menu. As it was Ramadan we planned to eat lunch at the hotel rather than on the hoof and found the menu very basic- tinned tuna salad, "seafood tagliatelle" which turned out to be spaghetti with an uninteresting tomato sauce and a few prawns, and Panini which were ok but uninspiring.

Drinks are reasonable for Morocco- just under £2 for a small beer and around £11 for the cheapest bottle of wine. Do what we did and take your own wine with you (there are fridges in the rooms) and enjoy it on your balcony- more discreet for the Ramadan fasting staff anyway.

Be wary of taxi drivers trying to charge top whack for journeys to and from this hotel (and probably other 5* ones too). We paid 150 dirham from the airport when it should have been less than 50. We found that we had to bargain quite hard and be prepared to walk away from drivers to get the same rates as other tourists were getting from cheaper hotels. You should pay about 20 dirham to get into "La Place" Jemaa el Fna or maybe 30 at night.

I completely recommend eating at one of the food sellers in Jemaa el Fna... just take your place at one of the plastic tables and order whatever you like. It's cheap, friendly, and delicious. Hygiene is said to be dodgy- but we had no problems.

We ate cheaply all weekend with not a stomach complaint in sight, and then treated ourselves to a palace restaurant meal on our last night and that's when we got the stomach cramps! A palace restaurant is a must though- the setting is amazing and the Moroccan dance and musicians are entertaining if a little touristy.

Oh, and don't bother getting a guide for the souks. We found it much easier than expected to find our way around and its fun just wandering rather than being guided."

• Travel date: Sun 30th of September 2007

This is the best hotel I have ever staye...

Reviewed Fri 7th of September 2007

"This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in for the money. Every aspect was very good. Location was excellent and we had a taxi driver with a Mercedes who waited outside the hotel for us any time and charged 2 pound for every trip.

The staff in the hotel were very good. Slight mis-understandings in English sometimes but more my fault that I couldn’t remember my school boy French. Staffed almost exclusively by youngsters who were very friendly and efficient.

Our room wasn’t made up one day and the maids looked completely crestfallen when the manager arranged for it to be sorted. The place was an oasis from the hurly burly of the town.

There are no bars that we could see but you could get drinks at UK pub prices at the hotel £3.00 for Corona, this is very expensive locally.

Will definitely visit this hotel again and I can’t recommend it highly enough.

• Travel date: Fri 7th of September 2007

We went as a party of 12. On arrival, ou...

Reviewed Wed 1st of August 2007

"We went as a party of 12. On arrival, our request for 4 rooms overlooking the pool was not met. It took 2 hours plus to be allocated alternative rooms.

We were told to have lunch. Rooms were clean. Six of us went down to dinner early that evening. After dinner, (which was not very nice) we were presented with a bill for 250 Dirham’s each (£15).

We refused to pay, as we did not realise that we had to choose either lunch or dinner on a daily basis. Staff was VERY aggressive to us as we refused to pay although we tried to explain that we did not realise, nor was informed of the procedure for half board.

We eventually explained the situation to a Manager and he agreed to waive the 6 meals at 250 dirham’s. At this point the remaining 6 went outside the hotel for their meal and enjoyed a 2 course meal (with drinks) next door to the hotel that cost them less that 100 dirham’s (£6) each.

Each day, we were presented with further displays of aggressiveness, non-communicative staff, rudeness, arrogance, and sheer bad manners. I was told there was a charge for the gym, then was told it was in fact free. If I asked directions, the reception staff was unhelpful. In the end I had to ask for a map.

I would ask the reception staff a question, they would smile, and nod as if they were dealing with my request, then would not approach me again! This and more went on throughout the week of our stay.

Meals were OK, not much imagination for Breakfast especially for Vegetarians. Even water had to be purchased with meals (£2 a bottle, when they are sold outside hotel for 30p per bottle).

Not enough sun loungers by the pool and fewer umbrellas. The pool was not open after 8pm. I suggest you bring your own music to listen to by the pool. The Hotel puts on minimum entertainment. Tape of a pianist during breakfast and lunch and at dinner the actual pianist playing the same tunes each night. Oh there was an exception...Happy Birthday tune for one of our party!

At a cost, Spa treatments (steam, sauna, etc) were nice but pedicure, etc very basic, could have done a better job myself.

On our last evening, we went to pay our room bills. Only to find the cancelled meals on the first evening had been deducted from 2 rooms (the 6 that had the meals) and added to the other 2 rooms (the 6 that did not have the meals). No amount of explaining could let the rude staff see that the cancellations proved that a Manager had waived the charge and the addition to the other rooms was totally out of order and incorrect.

After 3 hours of discourteous (on their part) discussions, and threats from the hotel that we would not be leaving in the morning until we paid the £80 in full, we retired to bed.

In the morning we were told they were unable to get the Manager that we needed to prove the hotel was wrong, the waiter who could verify this matter on our behalf, smugly kept his silence and after seeing the police vans outside, and taking into consideration we had to be at the airport for 7.30am, we decided to pay the bill.

NEVER AGAIN! Please, please do not stay at this hotel; they are plenty other hotels in Marrakech, so avoid, if only for your sanity!"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of August 2007

The hotel was beautiful and luxurious. T...

Reviewed Mon 30th of July 2007

"The hotel was beautiful and luxurious. The staff were friendly and the food was good.

There is a beautiful pool and a gorgeous spa, I would highly recommend the Medina & Spa for a high-class luxury get away.

The rooms were cleaned daily and had wonderful marble bathrooms, I felt like a princess staying there!"

• Travel date: Mon 30th of July 2007

Very disappointed with this hotel. The...

Reviewed Thu 28th of June 2007

"Very disappointed with this hotel.

The 5 star rating is definitely not deserved. The rooms were clean, but the tiling in the bathroom was cracked and the sound insulation was non-existent - we could hear people running up and down the hallways and doors being slammed as we lay in bed trying to get some sleep.

I have travelled extensively and half board normally includes drinks (even if they are non alcoholic). At Atlas Medina and Spa, you have to buy drinks to go with your dinner and they cost 5 times what drinks cost outside the hotel. They also tried to charge us corkage for the orange juice that we brought into the dining room!

I made a phone call and was told that it would cost 15 Dirham a minute. On checking out, I was presented with a bill for 6 times that amount per minute and when I complained, I was told that "the price is not fixed" (?!) and security guards were called!!!

Avoid at all costs!"

• Travel date: Thu 28th of June 2007

Apart from it being the hottest time of...

Reviewed Tue 1st of May 2007

"Apart from it being the hottest time of the year this place was fab! The staff in the hotel were polite and helpful.

The food in the restaurants was excellent; we preferred the grill to the gardens. The accommodation was excellent, very clean and comfortable.

We ate always at the hotel, but did find a local supermarket (again a taxi ride) for drinks and provisions for a teenage son. None of us suffered any stomach upsets, unlike other guests who had eaten from the stalls in the market place.

The chilled pool that I have seen mentioned as being not so good in March was very appreciated, once over the initial shock it was very welcome.

Hotel within taxi driver of most places to visit and see taxi prices vary enormously, get the concierge to grab one for you, don't do what we did and try to walk into Marrakesh - bad bad idea - way too hot!

There is a company that does camel treks, ask at the desk, worth the visit if only to see the gradually disappearing palm groves that have existed for centuries. The palaces in the area are worth the trip, no furniture but stunning all the same.

Some of the museums for a small fee (discreetly done) will show you parts of museums and palaces not generally opened to the public.

The elderly lady in the market place does fab henna tattoos, even the black henna which you are usually told to stay away from, she mixes to a format that UK skins can handle, but spend too much time in the swimming pool and it will vanish quickly!"

• Travel date: Tue 1st of May 2007

We had 3 nights at Atlas Medina & Spa an...

Reviewed Tue 17th of April 2007

"We had 3 nights at Atlas Medina & Spa and everything was perfect.

The area was quiet, well situated off the main avenue which was a picture of spring flowers all down the central reservation.

Staff were very courteous, although most spoke French with only a little English.

Food was buffet style with plenty of choice, but by the time we had got used to where everything was, it was time to move on to another City.

Our room was spacious and comfortable with a lovely view over the pool. Splendid spacious well-lit bathroom with down-lighting. Gardens were lovely and well tended.

Just wish we had more time to spare to enjoy some pampering in the spar and dips in the pool, but we were on an 'Imperial Cities of Morocco' tour and we were whisked around morning, afternoon and evening by our tour operator, with so many splendid sights to see.

If we ever visit Marrakech again on our own, would definitely come to this hotel."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of April 2007