Main Pool at the Pool at the Zalagh Parc Palace

Good

Not entitled to its 5 star rating

Reviewed 15th November 2010

"Our tour party was booked into the Menzeh Zalagh hotel but we were informed that we had been given an upgrade and arrived at the Zaragh Parc Palace. We stayed there for two nights. The first impressions were good with a very grand reception area that gives the right impression expected for a 5 star hotel. However the so called “cordial reception mirroring the legendary Moroccan hospitality” (as advertised on the website) was missing. The reception staff, who were in short supply, were not a bit interested in giving any sort of service whatsoever. They had no maps of Fez and, when asked to point out where the hotel was on a picture of the area on display in the reception, they did not know. Although the hotel advertises all rooms have a balcony, ours did not along with about 30 others. They also state that “All the Rooms and Suites are roomy, arranged with grace and enjoy modern comfort. Each one is decorated with a personalized style.” I am not quite sure what grace and personal style means but the room was drab and lacked any person touch. The mini bar was just an empty fridge. Again the website states the hotel is situated “in the heart of the most oldest imperial city of Morocco, a few minutes from the Medina” – it was a good mile and half, 10 minutes driving. Out of 9 lifts in the hotel, only 3 were working and many of the lights in the corridors and public areas had been switched off. The food in the restaurant was presentable but not that expected of “5 stars”. When I reported a defective shower head in my room, the service staff came and changed the shower head. I was impressed with the efficiency, but when I came to use it, the cardboard that they used to wedge it in place fell off!!! Overall - a hotel not worth the 5 Stars and a website that greatly exaggerates. "

• Travel date: 13th November 2010

Hotel was ok...not 5 star but in british...

Reviewed 30th March 2008

"Hotel was ok...not 5 star but in british standard 3/4 star. hotel charges was very expensive. disco bar was closed cuz of eid festival. very religious country. you will not be served alcohol without passport to show your not muslim. would not advise anyone to go morroco for relaxing holiday. fez is in the middle of nowhere....nothing to do!"

• Travel date: 30th March 2008

2 stars at a push

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"The safe in the room didn't work. The minibar didn't work. The shower water was lukewarm. The all inclusive buffet was not available. We were given soup and cold rubbery roast beef - no choices. Coke was served with a straw wedged into the pull ring and cost three dollars - unchilled. No glass and no ice. Heavy base music was pumped out all day around the swimming pool. Impossible to relax or siesta in your room."

• Travel date: 29th July 2007

Boring,Out of the Way, Avoid!!!

Reviewed 22nd October 2012

"Having read reviews wasn't expecting great things, but come on this was dreadfull. Reception was good clean and spacious, the rooms were large and clean and we arrived at 10 am and a room was avaliable for us (perhaps this should have been a warning!!), in the room two single beds, two sofas bathroom and seperate toilet, which would have been good if you could fit into it and shut door at same time!! Overall the room was good. Decided to go on trip to Madena with guide, which to be fair was not bad although too much shopping and too little information for my liking. Now the bad points, while we were there there was some sort of conferance on and all of the delegates had seperate dinning room!!! Often the resturant was so empty they put on set meal, if you didnt want great plate of salad followed by some kind of meat you were in trouble. The water was expensive 6 times the supermarket price across the road and wine outrageous. The waiters though despite previous comments were kind and courteous. Breakfast was bread and eggs every day!! The pool area was good but the bar seemed to charge what it liked same to drinks ranged from 55 to 120 dirams!! The poolattendant/lifeguard is brilliant but they do allow locals in pool if they buy a ticket, fine by me cos that meant someone else around!! While we were there there was only ever 1 or 2 other English couples, great for conversation!! Would I use again definatly NOT"

• Travel date: 2nd July 2007

Don't stay here if you want a good experience of Fes.

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"The rooms here are ok, reasonably clean and reasonably spacious. Now that's enough of the good news, and now for the bad.......... The hotel staff will ignore anything you do or say to them dispite speaking English and fully understanding you. Common courtesy and good manners are things that the staff on reception do not understand. Reception is very dark, however if you venture into the piano bar be sure to take a miners lamp. The food is poor, people smoke anywhere in the restaurant and this includes the staff! We couldn't swim outside as it was too cool so we enquired about the heated indoor pool to find that they wanted to charge us £9 each to use it!!! Water in the hotel is tepid at best. However, when a coach party comes to the hotel they do turn the boilers on so it was necessary to ensure that our showers coincided with a coach party arriving! Dont expect them to exchange any currency, they will not do it for you. We were told to come back in 3 hours for Foreign Exchange. Then to come back in another hour, then another and another. We were then told, after waiting all day without any cash, that the money had all gone in the morning!!! I fail to understand why a Moroccan hotel does not have Morrocan currency 100% of the time. If you let the hotel book a taxi for you it will cost 50% more than getting your own. They will force an 'official guide' onto you. My advice is just say 'NO' ! They are generally not official and you dont ned them. Go to the Medina on your own, pretend you know where you are going even if you dont and you will get to see everything. This hotel is in a very bad location. When we were there all small taxis were on strike and we walked 25 -30 miles in 3 days to get around to see the New and Old Fes. Fortunately we are fit enough and brave enough to do it. If not we would have been stranded at this dull hotel in the middle of nowhere. Apart from that everything was great."

• Travel date: 7th April 2007

HONEST REVIEW FROM MOROCCAN BORN GUEST

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"I wanted to make this review slightly different as I am Moroccan born. This stay at this hotel was the worst of its kind, as a former restaurateur and hotelier I have never experienced a such amateurish place. This is definitely not a 5 star hotel even in Moroccan standards, how they managed to get ( or buy) 5 stars it is another debate !!!! We arrived at 2 pm, they did not have our reservation. With the voucher we managed to get finally a room, a room that was not ready !!!!!! I was told that the hotel was full the day before and that the guests checked out late !! I don't think so, I was told otherwise by another member of staff. The hotel receptionist ignores you from the time you arrive until you leave. While waiting for our room, I went to the toilets downstairs. I had to stand right behind the toilets to be able to close the doors. The nice small towells that are given in real 5 star hotel were inexistant, it was cheap paper. Same applies to toilet paper, it's the cheapest you can get in the supermarket nearby. At 15:00 hours our room was finally ready, we decided to have a shower as we drove from the east of Morocco for 3 hours, there was no hot water only tepid. Furthermore the towels provided in the room were so harsh and used that I hurt my back. ( I will bring my own next time ) I asked for the minibar, I was told that I had to order it !!!! that is not mini bar any more is it ? Same applies to the safe, I was told I had to hire it !!!!!!!! We had a small balcony with cheap plastic white furniture, 5 star hotel I think not. My wife fancied a swim, however they wanted to charge us 150 MAD each ( avout £ 9) to use the heated pool !!!!!!!!!! We decided not to bother with the hotel food and went out where it was much nicer. At breakfast, we had about 6 waiters. They were all hanging around and no one actually helping. when I asked about the coffee, I was shown the dispenser 30 yards away. The headwaiter was even seating at one of the tables and was having breakfast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU REALLY WANT TO TRY A FIVE STAR HOTEL IN MOROCCO, A REAL ONE, go to AGADIR and stay at the PALAIS DES ROSES."

• Travel date: 20th March 2007

We stayed at the Zalagh Parc Palace for ...

Reviewed 11th February 2007

"We stayed at the Zalagh Parc Palace for 4 nights over New Year’s. This also coincided with the Muslim festival of Eid. We booked a twin garden view room through sunshine.co.uk for a very reasonable rate. The room was a reasonable size. But for a 5 star hotel I would have expected a few nicer touches. There was a fridge but it was not stocked as a mini bar, which came in very handy. In the bathroom, the bidet and loo were far too close to together - about a 4 inch gap, not very practical at all. The wardrobe smelt mouldy but we left the door open so that was OK. The hotel grounds seemed well maintained. The main pool looked a good size but being the end of December we did not take a dip. The package we booked was half board, but after the first evening we did not return to the buffet restaurant. It was not too our taste, but plenty of others were tucking in happily. We did try the pizzeria. Service was a bit slow and not exactly with a smile, but the pizzas were tasty and freshly cooked. The bar was very dark but not too unreasonably priced. The hotel is a good distance 10-15mins in a petit taxi from the centre of Fez. Don’t attempt to walk it. We didn’t find much of interest in the nearby area apart from the supermarket Marjene across the road. Given our view on the hotels food, this was great for stocking up on picnic ingredients. Overall, I would say that you get what you pay for with ZPP, it is definitely not international 5 star standards, but we didn’t pay those prices."

• Travel date: 11th February 2007

Average resort hotel well out of town

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"We stayed at the ZZP for 4 days over New's Years Day. I booked it because the other 5 star hotels in Fez had huge surcharges for gala New Year's dinners or were already full. Check in was swift. The room was a twin with a small balcony and was clean although the wardrobes had a funny smell. The mini bar was just a fridge, which packed in after a couple of days. When we checked in we were told that there was going to be an official representative from the tourist board available later to talk about tours. We saw him and he laid it on thick that we had to have a guide to go round the old town as there were 9000 streets and it was our responsibility if we got lost. He would answer questions about “was it safe to go alone?” or “does any one go alone?”. He just kept repeating that it was our responsibility. In the end we managed to get rid of him by saying that we were going to do it alone. The town have helpfully put up route signs in 4 different colours which we happy followed for a couple of hours to no ill effect, and we weren’t dragged to some shops that we had no desire to spend time or money in. The package I booked was half board so on our first evening we turned up for the buffet. I hate to say but we didn' eat anything. There were no labels, it looked like it had been sitting around for too long, and it was crowded with tour groups. We did venture into the Pizzeria and apart from being completely ignored to start with, did have a good pizza. As other reviewers have said there is a big supermarket across the road which proved extremely handy given the food situation. It was about 15 mins in a petit taxi from the medina I think we paid 12 DH (just over a Euro)."

• Travel date: 14th January 2007

5*'s ? I Think not!!

Reviewed 16th December 2012

"This hotel lies on the outskirts of Fes beside a dual carriageway at a traffic light T-junction towards Meknes. On first appearances it's 5*, the reception is spacious and 'luxurious', typically Moroccan in looks, the reception staff were generally helpful with the exception of one young woman who preferred to ignore guests whilst on the phone to her friends and picking her ears at the same time! The main bar is to the left in reception, whilst we were there it was in darkness during the day and came alive at night with people from outside the hotel, they looked like businessmen in suits and prostitutes. The music in the bar was electric piano and went on some nights into the early hours - the rooms above suffered... There is a nightclub accessed from the carpark at the front of the hotel, our first room (we changed rooms as a consequence) was 3 floors above the club, the Arab 'Disco' went on until about 1am, unintelligible music with a big bass beat. Not good if you want to sleep. The rooms were spacious and clean, there were cockroaches in a friends room but not ours. The maids came about 7am to prepare thier gear for the day, lots of banging doors and noise. They wanted to change the towels about 3 or 4 times a day - despite the notice outside the door saying 'Do Not Disturb' ! One morning 2 maids just walked into our room at about 8am, my partner who was naked leaving the bathroom was not too pleased!! The maids also insisted on leaving sweets in the room, probably to elicit a tip. The biggest joke of all was the main restaurant. The service was buffet style with the 6 to 8 waiters just hanging around staring at the customers or wandering about doing nothing. They were quick at clearing our plates but service in the truest sense was non-existent, The Head Waiter did most of the work whilst his staff looked on. Coffee etc was about 25 yards away down the vast dining room and guests had to help themselves, the staff didn't offer. The food was pretty average, breakfast was OK with buffet style cereals / various pastries / breads / eggs. Dinner was in general 1*, warm not hot food, no idea about vegetarian foods for a friend, poor service. Drinks in the hotel were expensive, including bottled water which was 5 times supermarket price. Despit this, we had a great laugh at the expense of the staff, it was like Manuel from Fawlty Towers but not quite so motivated or capable. A 1 star restaurant (cheaper and better food to be had outside the hotel). An overall 3 stars for the hotel. For drinks and water etc go to the Marjane supermarket about 200 metres across the road. Don;t use the hotel taxis - expensive through baksheesh, go to Marjane and get one in the carpark."

• Travel date: 9th January 2007

Good, and not so good and not five stars

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"We only booked this hotel as we had little choice and I wasnt hopeful after the reviews here. However, I was over pleased. The trick is to remember that five stars in Morocco in a western-style hotel is three stars anywhere else. With that in mind the rooms were nice, well appointed had a seperate WC and bathroom. The food was average and we were slighlty suspicious of some of the options. Staff were ok. The thing that was weird was the the hotel was quiet and huge wings of the hotel were closed. I went wandering up to the fifth floor to look at the view and it was quite obvious that no-one had stayed up there in many many months. On the scarier side there was a minor fire in the Pizza restaurant and we woke up from the smoke after the fire had been put out, but the fire alarm never went off and the staff were strangely unconcerned......"

• Travel date: 13th December 2006

Fraudulent star rankings - don't believe 5 stars

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"You may see this advertised as a 5* hotel, but it's 3 at the very best. Dreadful service. Three attendants watched at the door as we lugged our bags up the steps. Walking distance to nowhere. The owner has shops in the medina and upon checking in at the front desk tries to hustle you to sign up with a "guide" who will take you to the shops. We booked it mainly because my wife is arthritic and needs a good gym. They listed a complete fitness center. Actually had a few machines - antiquated and broken - down in the dungeon of a basement. Absolutely NOT the way to experience Fes. We moved to the Riad Maison Rouge and had a wonderful stay. See our review. Also, can heartily recommend the services of excellent english speaking driver/guide, Hamid Khalifi. ------- Trustworthy, knowledgeable, and a wonderful generous kind hearted man. Nice Mercedes, has worked for major top-flight tour companies and knows his stuff."

• Travel date: 23rd November 2006

Five stars? Maybe by Moroccan standards

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"The hotel is HUGE - with decor that is truly unique. You dont feel like you are in just another chain hotel. The furniture is amazing and the rooms have a little majlis/sitting area that is very Arab. a nice change from everyday. The hotel is listed as five stars, but does not have 24 hour room service or food available, nor internet access in the rooms. There is ONE desktop computer in the lobby, for 50 MAD per hour. A big tour group had checked in the same night, so I finally got to use the computer at about 1am. The food is so-so and not particularly Moroccan. The concierge service is so-so - they dont seem to understand the level of service expected at a five star hotel. The spa downstairs is interesting - the hammam is a wonderful experience. However, the robe they gave me was wet and dirty. I asked for a new one, and they gave me an old towel. At least it was clean. The massage and pedicure was OK. I have some reservations about the level of cleanliness in the spa - the flip-flops they gave me were used. I expect my own, even cheapo disposable ones, at a 5 star place for hygiene's sake. The housekeeping staff is very responsive and friendly. The Marjane supermarket within walking distance is very convenient, but you'll need taxi to or car to get to the old city of Fes, which is a total time warp. Enjoy your trip!!"

• Travel date: 15th November 2006

Hotels near Zalagh Parc Palace

Top traveller tips for Zalagh Parc Palace

• by JR

"A luxury hotel that is now a sad reflection of its former glory."

Zalagh Parc Palace is also called

• Zalagh Parc Palace Hotel
  • zalagh parc palace fes