courtyard

Good

Understated Glamour

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"This place was amazing. My husband and I spent three days in Fez and stayed at riad numero nine which we had seen featured in Ellle decor magazine.Our two room suite was luxurious and took over the entire third floor .The original mosiac tile and woodwork had been lovingly restored to it's former opulence.We felt like we had stepped back in time.Our hosts ,Stephen and Bruno were gracious and attentive. Stephen directed us to his favorite shopping haunts and I was able to purchase some wonderful local crafts to take home as gifts. Bruno started our action packed day with pancakes and tasty homemade jams. After walking our legs off we were happy to lounge on the rooftop terrace, savor the postcard worthy view and sip some limeade with Tache the cat. We hope to visit the riad and our friends again in the future. Highly recommended."

• Travel date: 14th October 2007

A jewel in the Fez

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"After seeing photos of Riad Numero 9 in Elle Decoration, we knew it was the type of hotel we were looking for in the Fez; a slice of authenticity in a magical town. The riad has been lovingly restored by its owners with objects found locally to a splendor I doubt it had ever seen before. Since there are only 3 guest rooms, you can imagine, for a few days, the riad is yours. Did I mention the wonderful home-cooked meals prepared by one of our hosts which further submerged us into the Moroccan experience. I recommend Riad 9 for those who want originality without sacrificing comfort. We will definitely be coming back – a perfect excuse to attend the Sacred Music Festival in June??"

• Travel date: 14th October 2007

A perfect riad with wonderful hosts

Reviewed 8th November 2012

"My fiance and I stayed at Riad Numero 9 for a few nights in September. We were new to Morocco and to Fes, but our host Stephen was tremendously helpful, giving us all the info on eating, culture, shopping and sightseeing. All the food (prepared by our other host, Bruno) was delicious and meals were taken informally at a pretty sunken table in the centre of the riad under the open ceiling. The decor is stunning throughout and it's really a wonderfully peaceful retreat from the labyrinth of the medina outside. We loved our stay here. Everything, including the room itself, the food, the views from the rooftop and our great conversations with Stephen on everything from fashion to international politics, were memorable. We recommend it highly."

• Travel date: 8th October 2007

Wonderful start to an amazing holiday....a home away from home

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"Upon recommendations found on Trip Advisor, my partner and I chose Riad Numero 9 as the perfect place to start our 2 1/2 week trip to Morocco. The riad itself is amazing -- over a period of 2 years, Steven (the owner) has lovingly restored the building to it's former glory, adding additional designer touches. Located in the heart of the medina, the riad has easy access to all of the sights and the roof terrace has fabulous views over the whole of Fes. Steven and his partner Bruno were the perfect hosts, making us feel very welcome from the moment we walked in the door. On our first night, they were kind enough to invite us to share a meal with them in the Riad, which Bruno had prepared. It was delicious. Over the next 3 days, Steven provided us with plenty of tips and suggestions that enabled us to get the most out of Fes (including restaurant recommendations), Bruno cooked up a storm every morning at breakfast (be sure to try his jams) and we were constantly entertained by Razou and Tache, the resident dog and cat. Riad Numero 9 was the perfect start to memorable holiday. A real home away from home."

• Travel date: 2nd October 2007

A heavenly haven...

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"The interior design of Riad Numero 9 is impeccable and laudable. Entering Riad Numero 9 after going through a labyrinth-like path left us feeling as though we had crossed over to another dimension of Fes. It was rather unbelievable that the Medina, which is traditional and authentic in many sense would, tucked in one of her obscure corners, house a wonderfully cozy and fabulous place like Riad Numero 9. It is truly a place which has to be experienced by all who plans to visit Fes."

• Travel date: 15th September 2007

Different, Unique !

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"This place was recommended by a friend of mine. I was going through Marocco. Visited Essaouira, Marrakech and Fès. First, I must say that Fès was the prettiest, and the truest city I have seen in Morocco. I had been to Casablanca, Agadir and Safi also. And I discovered a city with a beautiful landscape. Hills, trees and a huge medina with steep streets. It was already a bliss to discover this city which is still clean from any Leisure tourist. Only true adventureres go there. And what a place to go to than the Riad 9. It is not a hotel but a real guest house where you share the life of two amazing men. In a traditionnal Fesian Riad, Stephen, former Art Director in several fashion capitals, has displayed a whole bunch of gathered collectors items from all around the world. Walking through the house is like studying the history of design in the 1930's. Each piece has a history and Stephen is more than glad to share that. His boyfriend Bruno will be the one to take care of you. Sweet and smiling all the time, he'll take you groceries and then allow you to help for preparing delicious french/moroccan food if you care for it. There so much to experience, I have already planned to go back with friends. Be careful : there is a risk once you are in the house you will need a huge motivation to leave it and visit the city. If you reach Fès at the begining of a Moroccan trip, you might not go any further. I hope you will enjoy the surprise as much as I have when I got there."

• Travel date: 13th September 2007

Amazing Riad, warm and welcoming

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"My wife and I were looking to spend our fifth wedding annniversary somewhere nice in Fes having just spent a night in the desert in Merzouga (which was fantastic). Having briefly read the reviews on TripAdvisor, I emailed Stephen (owner) directly and was able to book the room very easily. The hotel is in the old town in the heart of the medina and is a great location from which to explore the city or look for bargains in the souks! We arrived in the evening and Stephen had prepared a very nice (and extremely large!) meal with wine and gave us a great welcome. We had a romantic night having dinner surrounded by the beautifully restored interior of the riad's grand hall. The rooms are tastefully decorated and there is a real sense of home. Stephen was a gracious host and was comfortable for us to call over a couple we had met in Merzouga for pre-dinner drinks on the roof top terrace overlooking the old medina. All of us (including Stephen) chatted and drank for so long that we ended up missing dinner! A great last night in Fes and highly recommended. We'll have to go back as we heard Bruno, who was overseas during our visit, is an excellent cook!"

• Travel date: 11th September 2007

The Jewel of Fez

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"A little bit guesthouse and a little bit luxe hotel, every tiny need of mine was catered to in an extremely individualistic and subtle way. Staying here made a magical city even more so. Anyone who cares deeply about style, design, comfort and great food will find Riad 9 full to capacity in all of the details. It would have to be because the owner is the former creative director of Dunhill and his partner is an extremely creative chef and total sweetheart. His meals are so delectable. I especially loved the breakfast with the local spongy breads, Bruno's jams and exotic juices as well as evening meals --always feasts with a jumble of seductive choices. And be sure you go marketing with him! The experience of shopping the market--for food lovers--is a must do. Being a food person, this was extremely important to me, I could shop and get to create the menu for later and even cook along with him if I wished. Each of the bedrooms has their own style, furnished with vintage finds from Paris and Morocco, and extremely comfortable and bedded down with top of the line linens. Songbirds fill the air, dine next to the fishpond, take cocktails or mint tea on the roof in the gorgeous Fes nights. This is a romantic spot. I could easily see honeymooning here. While this is a perfectly located spot, near the market, near the souk, Fes is impossible to maneuver without expert guidance. What I found is that Bruno's and Stephen's advice is impeccable. From bargaining to shopping to where to go to providing me with the perfect city guide (necessary in this city), they were spot on. While I sometimes prefer the anonymity of a larger hotel, I would never consider one in a place like Fes. I lucked out when a friend recommended this place. I just can't say enough nice things about it."

• Travel date: 23rd August 2007

Charm and hospitality in the heart of the Medina

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"My first impression of this dwelling, stepping inside from the July heat and dust of the busy market in the medina was of cool, clean, calm. Behind their thick walls lies an oasis of elegant sophistication, with intricate attention paid to every detail. I was offered a chilled limeade made with anis seeds by Bruno, and given a tour of this magnificent riad, re brought to life over a period of three years by Stephen. The original mosaic tiles and hand painted details were meticulously restored by him and his team, uncovering the original splendor of this building from the 18th century. Each room has it’s own personality, with furnishings from around the world blended together to create a mix which is original yet authentic to the environment. After a day spent exploring the medina, followed by a refreshing shower and rosewater splash (thoughtfully furnished), the evenings on the rooftop terrace overlooking the medieval city are unforgettable. From Bruno's original creations in jams in the morning, to his midday fresh juices mixes, to his delectable marinated lamb in the evening -along with the thoughtful touches throughout the house, you can feel the close attention to detail, quality and hospitality when you first open your eyes in the morning until the last candle flickers out in the evening on the terrace. A wonderful trip!"

• Travel date: 11th August 2007