Good

Awesome!

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"I really don't want to write this review...simply for selfish reasons. I plan to go back and I don't want the word to get out! The only reason I'm writing this is because it would be a great disservice to Fred and the staff if I didn't write it.

The stay was absolutely wonderful. The Riad is superb, in an excellent location and is run by a top notch staff. Don't pass up on the opportunity to go to the market with Samira and prepare dinner.

I've stayed at other places in Fez (such as Riad La Maison Bleue...also very nice) but this is the best and happens to have the lowest prices for its category of accommodations.

If you want to stay in the Medina (which is not for everyone!) this is definitely the place to do it.

Regards."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of August 2007

No Detail Overlooked

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Riad Laaroussa this past June and loved every minute of the experience.

Our booking was made directly with the property and couldn't have been easier. Even when we had to amend the number of people traveling in our party at the last minute and the dates we were staying in Fez, the staff was pleasant and accommodating.

Arriving into the chaos of the Fez train station after an extended ride from Casablanca, we were relieved to find the hotel-arranged transportation waiting for us with a name placard in hand. After a short ride through the city to the Medina, we were greeted by one of the hotel staff, who led us through the maze to what appeared an unassuming front door. We couldn't have imagined the splendor that lay beyond the threshold.

Once we ascended into the welcoming courtyard, my wife and I felt immediately at home. The owner, Fred, introduced himself upon our arrival and insisted that we should consider ourselves his personal guests. After a quick tour of the property, my wife and I settled into the Red Suite before taking dinner at the Riad.

During the course of the next few days, the staff assisted us with arranging a guided tour through the Medina, advice on places to eat/visit as well as a few business related items (e.g. printing, Internet) that needed attending to.

With all of the above said, the highlight of our stay was interacting with the jovial, interesting and oft entertaining owner, Fred. Concerned about the well-being of his guests, he took the time to sit and mingle with us during evening drinks and breakfast each day. By no means overwhelming or intrusive, his presence and oversight of our stay made us realize how seriously he takes hospitality.

We cannot wait to return to Riad Laaroussa and only wish we had stayed longer.

Thanks to Fred & his awesome staff!"

• Travel date: Wed 8th of August 2007

BEAUTIFUL

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"I stayed at Riad Laaroussa with two friends while we were traveling in Morocco. It was BY FAR, our favorite place we stayed throughout Morocco. Fes was lovely, and the Riad is an absolutely beautiful oasis in the middle of the medina. The rooms are so lovely down to every detail, the service extremely attentive and friendly, and the property is gourgous. Fred, the owner, has done an exquisite job remodeling this Riad... from the beautiful courtyard with its mosaic tiles and fountain, the architectural details, to the rooms, and the rooftop terrace where you can enjoy the view at breakfast or anytime of the day. The cook, Samira, made wonderful food and our favorite time of the day, was sitting in the courtyard enjoying the serenity and beauty of the Riad and a lovely dinner. Fred and his staff could not have been better!! Our only regret was that we could not stay longer. On my next trip to Morocco, I will be going back to Riad Laaroussa in Fes!!"

• Travel date: Sun 5th of August 2007

The BEST Riad in Morocco!

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"My girlfriends and I were traveling through Morocco and just happened to book our stay in Fez at Riad Laaroussa. I have to say it was my favorite place to stay in all of Morocco. The Riad has been beautifully restored, the rooms are very spacious and the staff is the best. We honestly didn't want to leave and after traveling around we all decided that Laaroussa was our favorite. One of my most memorable days was when we spent the day with the women from the riad - shopping, cooking and eating. It was great. They really go out of their way to make you feel welcomed. When I go back to Morocco, I will be spending all my time at Riad Laaroussa.

Kathy (Austin, TX)"

• Travel date: Sat 4th of August 2007

Stay here!!!

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"We stayed here for 2 nights in June. There were seven of us! They picked us up from the train station late at night and ported our luggage through the 'mazing medina.

Must admit we were each 'ooo-ing' and 'ahh-ing' when we entered the hotel...running through each others rooms like kids (our group was mostly '30 something' ER nurses). We felt we were in a spa getaway...personnally I liked the green and orange rooms best (they were the most luxurious, with hamam like features of drop in tiled baths and hammered metal fixtures, lofts and vaulted ceilings)

Fred- the hotel manager, is very aware of past negative comments on Trip Advisor and Lonely Planet and has worked to make improvements/changes. You will also find the best breakfast of fresh fruits, morrocan pancakes and mint tea while laying on pillow filled couches on a rooftop patio.

Only suggestion....stay more than 2 nights!"

• Travel date: Tue 19th of June 2007

Beautiful riad, but cold reception

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"As all of the other guests have noted, the Riad itself is absolutely gorgeous. We stayed in a lovely suite that was spacious and beautifully decorated. The main issue for us was the service (including logistics) and reception by the owners. Although we booked an airport transfer, we were asked by the driver who was paying for his fare and then told by this driver that we needed to use a porter who would carry our luggage and be paid by the Riad owner. Once we arrived, we were "greeted" by Isabelle who barely welcomed us, seemed confused that we had arrived and who herself did not seem clear as to the transportation logistics. In addition, she never showed us inside our room, nor did she give us any kind of tour of the Riad or information.

We were then greeted by an employee of the Riad who gave us tea and biscuits and did attempt to welcome us, but the damage was already done.

We later complained to the intermediary who booked the Riad for us, and Isabelle did later apologize for the confusion and her unhelpfulness (and gave us free champagne), but the lack of graciousness upon our arrival really did mar our experience at the Riad. I normally would not write a bad review, but I do think it is important to note that the owners did not treat us like lost family members as some of the other reviews have suggested.

That said, Fez is a lovely town and we booked a tour guide to see the city (which I would recommend)."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of May 2007

A wonderful stay

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"For a lone traveler, finding a good, safe and beautiful place to stay could sometimes be a problem, especially if it is your first time in Fes. Riad Laroussa offers you all the comfort and pampering of a home away from home in a fabulous surrounding. Fred, Isabelle and even Catherine ( Fred's mother
in visit) treat you as a longtime friend or a family member. The food is excellent and so is the efficient and friendly staff. I remember fondly the late afternoons spending in the kitchen watching and learning how the traditional Moroccan meal is being prepared and the before dinner drinks taken on the terrace around a bonfire with great company and conversation.
Riad Laroussa is wonderfully decorated , offering a serene and Zen-like atmosphere where you can relax after a busy day in the Medina. A lovely place where I certainly come back to visit soon. Save me La Chambre Beige!!
Yvonne Nhan (calgary Canada)"

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of May 2007

Haven of Tranquillity

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"I have just returned from another trip to Fez and spent 5 nights in the Red Suite at Riad Laaroussa, which truly is a haven of tranquillity from the hustle & bustle of the medina. The minute you enter the magnificent entrance hall with its painted wooden ceiling and oversized guestbook, you know there the place is going to be something special. The interior courtyard is huge with its marble fountain and 4 orange trees full of birds and the suites huge (Fred & Isabelle have also just added the 2 new Blue & Yellow rooms). Add to this good food, great staff and the bonus of free WiFi and I cannot recommend Riad Laaroussa highly enough."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of May 2007

Unforgettable

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"For those looking to stay in a beautifully restored, palatial riad in Fez, I would recommend Riad Laaroussa. Fred and Isabelle are wonderful hosts and the staff are lovely and very helpful. I was able to completely unwind at this tranquil and beautiful riad."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of May 2007

A highlight of our trip

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Riad Laroussa was a recommended by a friend but once we were there it was more than we were expecting. It is in a good location in the Medina and in contrast, this is a calm place that offers the serenity for those who wants to escape from the modern world.
It is a luxury place with big rooms, finest Morrocan decoration, and authentic Moroccan cuisine. You can wake up with the lovely song of the birds and have a breakfast with very colorful plates in the terrace with 300 degrees view of the Medina. Once you are there, it is hard to leave the place.
We got spoiled on the king size bed in the terrace where I had good reading and spend time hanging out with my friends.
Service is excellent; Samira and Mohamed I & II were very kind and helpful to us. They truly care about you; I think this is one of the highlights of the place. They are friendly and really willing to make your stay comfortable and pleasant in Morocco.
We stayed in the blue room. The best bathroom ever been in my life!. It is like another spacious room. It was completely blue color from the room to the floor, with a great sunrise that could be admire from one of the windows.
Our trip in Morocco would not be the same if we were not staying in this beautiful Riad that complemented the whole Moroccan adventure."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of May 2007