Main Lobby at the Riad Fes - Relais & Chateaux

Spectacular Hotel

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"The hotel is spectacular. The service was wonderful. Through a small wooden door, one enters a beautiful house covered in detailed mosaics. The interior has been completely restored to its original splendor. We were served tea and cookies while our luggage was taken to our room. Every night we dined in the hotel to wondeful Moroccan cusine and wine. They arranged for guides of the Medina as well as the surrounding countryside. Every once and a while one finds a special hotel that is magical; this hotel is one."

• Travel date: 24th February 2007

I recommend this riad to my dear friends.

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"Our stay of about one week at Riad Fes was comfortable, pleasant and relaxing with no stress. At the time of booking, I requested a transfer from the airport to the riad and it indeed assured our smooth start of the memorable trip. When we arrived, we saw no taxis available at the taxi station. The services are not imposing but adequate and discreet. None of their staff nor drivers they arranged (for sightseeing in the suburbs) on our request tried to sell anything unnecessary ( we are not fond of shopping) but they made all the efforts to make us satisfied. The architecture as well as interior decoration of the rooms are done to the degree of perfection.Every single corner of the entire riad could be photographed and framed. At the bar, we so much enjoyed simple drinks such as Casablanca beer, lait aux amandes in this extraordinary atmosphere. Food at the restaurant is excellent, especially tagine d'agneau, pastilla de poisson. Good selection of morocco wines. The breakfast is the best we have ever experienced at any accommodation to date. The location is prime within the medina and close to the main street, making easy to walk around even after dark when the medina shows another expression. Being close to the main gate, it is also quite convenient to be out of the medina. A PC with internet connection located in the lounge helped us to keep in touch with the outside world(free of charge). Also WIFI serivices allow us to use our own PC in the lounge (free of charge). I would wish if I could have internet connection in the room. I shall recommend this riad to my dear friends without hesitation and would like to thank all who led us to this riad with their reviews on this site."

• Travel date: 12th January 2007

Outstanding riad with character

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"This beautiful palace style riad made for a memorable stay. Nothing on the outside prepares one for the splendour of the interior. The location (difficult to find, but part of the fun!) inside this great medieval city is unbeatable. We chose it because of the rave rewrite ups of your previous reviewers, which were entirely accurate. The rooms are so characterful and the staff were so helpful. The food was excellent and didn't pander to international tastes. In a word, fabulous!"

• Travel date: 10th January 2007

Very good luxury hotel in the medina

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"Well the car being sent to the airport never showed and the check-in was chaotic but the rooftop views, location, food, architecture, in-house hammam, in-house massuer and the local manager helping me get into former palaces closed to the public would make this a yes for those looking for a luxury property in the old medina."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2007

Riad Fes with Children

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"Just retruned from a 3 night stay at the Riad Fes. And is such an experience rather than staying in the normal bog standard hotels!!! The food was lovely, we ate there 1 evening and the lamb was to die for, so tender!!! and they were accomadating with the 2 under 4's that we took along. We also ate at the Maison Blueu, but prefered the Riad Fes, in terms of quality of food and esp the price!!!! I would definately recommend this Riad, esp after a not so child friendly stay in Marakesh with a 18 mth old toddler."

• Travel date: 2nd January 2007

Magical Riad

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We have just returned from a two night stay at the Riad Fes and can report that it is one of the best hotel experiences we have ever had. I was slightly worried when I read another review about 'snooty' service but nothing could be further from the truth and I have a very low tolerance threshold for snooty. The staff were welcoming and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Although it is quite expensive at £150 for a deluxe room it is actually very good value for money - the plunge pool, gardens, roof terrace, huge breakfast which you can have in your room, bathrobes, slippers, hammam 'kit' in the bathroom, cd player , fresh fruit and water on your coffee table - all of these little touches make it a really cool experience. We stayed in the modern wing overlooking the bar area - these rooms are not in the trad moroccan style - they are more trendy london with moroccan touches - lovely rugs, traditional tiles bathrooms etc so if you want the completely tiled trad room you'll have to ask to stay in the original building. Even if you're not staying here its well worth having a drink in the bar and asking to see the main lobby - while we were there people came in and they were shown the lobby and the roof terrace (which has am amazing view of the city) - the staff are clearly very proud of the riad and rightly so."

• Travel date: 8th December 2006

Wish We Could Have Stayed Longer

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We only stayed one night but the building is incredible and the service was excellent. After wondering around the narrow streets in the medina it was a magically experience to walk through their door. Food in their dining room was good but not great but the service was excellent."

• Travel date: 25th November 2006

Disappointed

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"We booked here because it was rated so highly, but we were disappointed. Too impersonal and the staff, although pleasant, said "not possible" more often than "no problem"! The riad is beautiful, rooms are comfortable but the rigidity of the staff made it less than fully welcoming. If I return to Fes, I will spend a bit more money and stay at Palais Jamai or La Maison Blue."

• Travel date: 21st November 2006

A world class hotel disguised as a riad

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"When I went to Fes for a major shopping expedition, I wanted to stay in a good riad which will provide me with an oasis from the chaos of the medina. I was attracted to Riad Fes after comparing it with the photos of other riads. The architecture of the riad is indeed magnificent. You could sit in the courtyard for hours admiring the artistry of the zeullige tiles and the delicate designs of the stuccos. In terms of grandeur, this riad would win hands down. The owners I believe are architects and this perhaps explains the meticulous restoration of the property and the exquisite taste of the decor prevalent throughout the riad. The riad has 2 wings. The old wing comprise the restored building with the courtyard and the rooms overlooking the courtyard in traditional moroccan style. The new wing which is less elaborate and less intricate houses spacious rooms with more modern accents. If you stay in the new wing, you are practically staying in a modern hotel but that certainly does not diminish the enjoyment or the magical experience that you may derive from being a guest at this riad. The decor and ambiance of the entire riad is traditional yet not overbearing. In fact, it looks very chic and worthy of being featured in Wallpaper magazine. The furniture I was told had been commissioned specially from Syria and the gorgeous lamps that adorned the property were custom made in Fes. The restaurant and the bar have a sophisticated feel about them. Rooms in the new wing overlook the bar which is located in an open courtyard which features a shallow pool with fountains. There is also a roof terrace which offers a gorgeous view of the entire medina. Dinner is sometimes had in the garden in another open courtyard next to the old wing where there is a dipping pool and an attractive fountain. The food from the riad's famous restaurant is simply exquisite. The menu is by far the most interesting and varied that I have ever seen in my travels in Morocco thus far. Apart from the usual suspects like tagine and cous cous, it also offers other uncommon dishes like spit roast lamb over a slow fire. Food is served on beautiful crockery custom made for the riad by Cocema, a famous home grown manufacturer. I fell in love with the crockery so much that I am having a complete and identical dinner set made by the manufacturer for my apartment in Singapore! Finally, this review is incomplete without mention of the discreet and professional service. In riads generally service can be quite informal as they treat you like a guest in the home. In Riad Fes, you get five star hotel service which is both friendly and personal. The owners of the riad were not in town when I stayed there but members of their staff were ever ready to make sure that my every whim was catered to. This riad definitely deserves its place as the top choice in the list for Fes. It sets standards that other riads in Morocco should aspire to."

• Travel date: 26th September 2006

Definitely a place to stay in

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"We were given names of several Riads in Fes, but all riads were fully booked. The travel agent suggested Riad Fes for us, and we actually did not know what to expect as we have not heard about it. Once we reached there, people who knew that we were staying in this Riad told us that it was the best one in Fes. The minute you step in this Riad, you feel immediately at home. The architecture is so beautiful and well maintained. There are two parts to it, one is the original old morocan style building. The rooms are well maintained and comfortable overlooking a covered court yard with beautiful coloured tiles. The modern building is as beautiful and comfortable. If you prefer to have windows with access to outside, then go for the modern one. There is a nice sitting area outside where you can enjoy a drink after a hectic day in the Medina. The Riad has received an award for its restaurant. The only thing is that you would have to let them know in advance that you will be coming to dinner or lunch for them to prepare for you. This is normal in all Riads. After having tried one meal in their restaurant, we decided to have our dinners there every night. The food is excellent and the menu is not only the typical Tagine and Cous Cous dishes that you see in most restaurants, but there are more traditional dishes as well that are worthwhile discovering. Finally, I must say that the staff are incredibly nice and the service is fabulous. We really loved the place and would go back. One important thing to keep in mind is that if you plan to stay in the old medina in Fes, getting to hotels with suitcases is very difficult because the Medina is mostly small allies and you can only get around on foot. With Riad Fes, the access from the main street to the hotel is very easy and you will not have the problem that you will have with other Riads. Just let them know before hand when you are arriving and they have a short cut to the main street through a small garden that will save you a lot of effort and time. Congratulations to the owner and staff of this Riad for such a nice and welcoming place!"

• Travel date: 9th September 2006