Good

Were we luckier than others?

Reviewed 10th October 2012

"We spent 2 nights on tour in Fes. The hotel itself was very nice as was the restauant and the location seemed good, just off one of the main roads in a quiet setting. The air conditioning in the room didn't work. Whatever temperature you set, the room got hotter! A simple solution - open the window. That would have been fine, but for a local dog barking half the night for one night! (Not the hotel's fault, I know.) The second night with the window open, there were no problems at all. We had a procession of ants across the floor one night but that was nothing to really get upset about. But for these issues, I would have easily given the hotel a 4* rating."

• Travel date: 17th November 2007

Rude, And No Customer Service

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"I stayed at this hotel for 2 nites on a tour. Visually it looks great, but dont try to get any information or assistant from the front desk. The people in the restaurant were no better. One night we came back for dinner and there was hardly any food left and when we inquired, they said, there was no more!!! We ordered wine and the waiter interupted us while eating for us to pay him. We didn t until we were through. You culd never get change at reception and then our key didnt work to get into the room and they never sent anyone up. had to make 2 trips to get key changed. would not recommend this hotel at all."

• Travel date: 8th November 2007

really good hotel with great service

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"U recently went to Morocco on my Gold Duke of Edinburgh award with 26 other people.we trekked in the middle atlas mountains for 3 days and visited Azrou, Meknes, Fes and Ain Leuh. For the majority of the trip we were based in the Village Of Hope Orphanage in Ain Leuh and the facilities there we great. On our last night in Morocco before are flight in the early hours of the morning we stayed in the Menzeh Zalagh Hotel in Fes. I was feeling poorly at this time in the hotel and i had never felt more at home. The service at the desk was great when checking in, the food and the service there was amazing as well as the breakfast service. The pool there was outstanding just what we all needed after a hard weeks work and at night it looked fantastic all lit up. Overall i would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Morocco."

• Travel date: 13th October 2007

Is that what you call a 4* hotel?

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"Well... stayed there for 3 nights. First we didn't have hot water for the first 2 days, then the service was terrible, people were very rude, especialy those serving breakfast. We had to use our bathroom towels because the hotel doesn't dispose any for sunbathing , 2 swimming pools - both dirty, small garden. Worst of all, as the only place you can drink alcohol in Morocco is a hotel we wanted to have a bottle of wine in the hotel bar on our last night . They only had the cheapest wine - which was awful-and we got 2 different glasses, both dirty. Had to wait for the bill for ages. Don't know about any other hotels in Fes but I wouldn't recommend this one if you want to rest and relax. The only good thing is the view. It does take your breath away but you can admire it as well from MacDonald's a few meters from the hotel."

• Travel date: 10th October 2007

Were we luckier than other reviewers?

Good
Reviewed 17th December 2012

"The hotel is tucked away in a quiet part of the new town and some diatance from the Medina. We walked to the Medina (30mins) - only to be done once as much of the route in not attractive, by very crowded bus at MAD1.80 each and by petit taxi which only take 3 persons maximum for about MAD5. My wife, two children (aged 10 and 13) and I had a couple of twin rooms for 4 nights. The good things were as follows: the rooms were large, clean, not really as tired as some reviewers make out (or are my standards too low?), the view from the balcony was very fine (but make sure you are not in the annexe and are on the Medina side), the staff were helpful and friendly, the breakfast was perfectly adequate (scambled eggs, breads, cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, pain au chocolat and other sweet cakes - there was plenty of it and it was fresh) with great views including a flock of over 100 storks flying over on one morning, the gardens are attractive. The not so good things were: to be honest if you did not look outside at the views you could be anywhere in the world (it is international rather than Moroccan), the corridors were a little underlit. Other than breakfast, we did not eat at the hotel, and although eating places in the new town are few and far between, there are some, but the Medina is probably the best place to eat. We declined the guides offered at reception and made our own way about the Medina. Wander around, chat to people, take up offers to see things (like the tanneries) if you want to and pay a few MAD to the person showing you, be prepared to get disorientated, but someone will help you, again for a few coins. We paid less than half the advertised rate (GBP28 per room per night) and for that money this hotel is good value. If we had paid the advertised rate I might have considered it poor value for money."

• Travel date: 19th February 2007

Could do better

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Stayed in this hotel which has great views from the bar area and balcony and fairly good service The rooms are a little tired, bathrooms pretty good through had problems with my door ie getting in and out which was a pain. Breakfast in the hotel was fairly limited enless you like cakes and pastries, where was the fresh fruit and some hot food?? The bar prices were also a little steep and the bar area was cold as was the room at times, also swindled on the mini bar ended up paying 55 euro's for the two rooms having cosumed about 12 beers but the waiter wouldn't have any different ....... Enjoyed Fes and if you intend to not eat in the hotel and use it just as a base it will do as got good deal on the room rates"

• Travel date: 1st February 2007

Worst experience EVER in a hotel

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"If you are a single woman traveling in Morocco, I highly recommend that you do not stay in this hotel. I have lived in Morocco for quite awhile and am used to the standards of service being a bit below the Western norm. However, the service at this hotel passed over into being downright insulting. I did not stay in the main hotel, but rather the secondary building across the street. The room was very mediocre-bad view, furniture and decor looked like it hadn't been updated since the 1960s. The bathroom was fine, and had a nice bathtub, however. The beginning of my problems began when an American friend came over to check out the room, as his parents were going to be visiting in a few months and he wanted to see if the accomdations in this hotel would be suitable for them. He brought his (male) Moroccan friend along to take a brief look at the hotel room before we left for dinner. Now, you may not be aware there are two different laws concerning people of the opposite sex sharing a hotel room--Muslims are not allowed to share a room unless they are married, and non-Muslims are. Or, you need to bribe the hotel staff. Well, 20 seconds after they came into my room, I was informed by the hotel staff that they needed to leave. I told them we were leaving in a couple of minutes and the manager proceeded to threaten me with calling the police, although the door to the hotel room was wide open. Well, I told him exactly what I thought of the situation, since it was clear that there was absolutely nothing illegal transpiring and I was, in fact, trying to do the hotel a favor by encouraging the business and he began to insult me in multiple ways--(he ended by calling me a vulgar word in French). I was particularly insulted as there is a well-known disco in this hotel where Moroccans freely drink alcohol (also against the Moroccan law for Muslims to drink alcohol), pick up prostitutes, and then bribe the hotel staff to bring them up to the rooms there. When I returned later from dinner, the hotel doors were locked, so I ran the doorbell. A man with no shoes on answered the door and proceeded to follow me to the elevators and asked me if I would like him to follow me to my room. After I assured him that I did not, in fact, want that to happen under any circumstances, he made a lacivious and vulgar gesture towards me with his tounge. Hence, my advice again young single women staying at this hotel. The next day when I complained to the manager at the main hotel, he assured me that the director would call me on my cell phone that afternoon and that the manager at the other building was only temporary and that he knows he is not good. However, I never heard from the director and nothing was done to try to rectify the situaiton. Also, the food was terrible from the breakfast that I ate there. Honestly, I had a much better experience at the 2-star Hotel Olympique in Fes for less than 200 dh/night."

• Travel date: 19th January 2007

Sharks at the reception and concierge

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"We asked for help with a guide to the medina as well as for hire of a 4x4 to the front desk (Abdoul), and their concierge lady (don't remember the name of the lady). This was based on the recommendation of travel books to beware of "faux" guides and tour operators. What was recommended by the concierge was even more scary. Apparently, Abdoul at the front desk and his family run several shops in the medina and the guide they suggested was going to take us to these shops apart from some others where his commission is well arranged. We felt extremely uncomfortable with his scare tactics (e.g., not safe to be in the Medina without aguide and other non-sense) even before the tour started from the hotel, and decided to not use his services. For the 4x4 hire, it was the same story - the driver was asking exorbidant price - which we figured out because of having shopped around before getting there and knowing the ball-park rate. The hotel, despite its 4 stars, left a lot to be desired. It had barely essential toiletries, just OK room - though the breakfast was good and view from the restaurant terrace also nice. They did charge us extra for our child - which was OK by us - only, they wouldn't accept a Credit Card payment or give me a genuine receipt. Very fishy (not unlike most of other 4-star Morocco hotels), where the extra charge is always negotiable (as long as you pay cash) and is always pocketed by the front-desk staff. This hotel came highly recommended by many tour books - but is OK only if completely avoid the sharks at the reception!"

• Travel date: 2nd December 2006

Pay a bit more and stay elsewhere

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"This hotel is clean, but a little run down. The major problem I encountered during my 7 night stay was the absolutely dreadful food. This hotel is mainly set up for people on tours, so each afternoon a corach load of people arrive, and then they generally move on either then next day, or the day after that. The food is very bad, but if you are not on a tour, it's even worse, as they descend for breakfast at around 6 in the morning and devour everything, leaving only scraps. The hotel also boasts a night club that seems to be frequented exclusivly by the locals, the problem is the club plays very loud music and is open until around 4:00am, this is OK, unless you are directly above it, as I was. Most of the staff are friendly, so there is no problem there. If I was to go back to Fes (which is beautiful) I would probably only stay for 3 days, as 7 days was far too long, and I would pay a little extra money and stay somewhere else"

• Travel date: 1st December 2006

Classy hotel with good facilities.

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"Arrived with our tour group early evening to this stylish hotel, with elegant lobby & beautiful gardens and pools in the grounds. Fantastic buffet dinner, although the restaurant can be chaotic if several tour groups are in residence (don't have a late meal). A lovely view from the hotel over the valley to Fes & the historic forts that overlook her. My first/best impression of the hotel was from the terrace outside the restaurant - I felt like I'd stepped into a Bond film (James Bond or Frank Abagnale Jr wouldn't be out of place here!). Its how I remember hotels in the early days. The rooms were large, airconditioned & comfortable, with good views & huge bathrooms. We enjoyed a stroll into the old town (Medina) in the evening (about 20 minutes each way, easier by car). American-style fast foods and a few restaurants are nearby, as well as ATM and grocery shops to stock up on drinks & chocolate!"

• Travel date: 20th November 2006