William Suite

Good

The real deal

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"My partner and I along with another couple of friends arrived at Dar Seffarine on New Year's day following a long train trip from Marrakech. Our welcome was an invitation to join Kate & Alaa in their courtyard for some tasty food and hot tea and immediately their home became our home also. Our stay at Dar Seffarine was very unique in that the house itself is beautifully restored and very comfortable to stay in, but also the friendly and genuine hospitality that was shown us during our stay is so unusual these days. We all agreed that if we had chosen to stay in a hotel in the new town, we would have completely missed the sense of atmosphere and charm that staying in this beautiful Morroccan Dar in the ancient medina offers. The day starts with a lovely breakfast of breads, eggs, fruit homemade smoothies and other delights. Then you can pass an hour or two relaxing on the roof terrace, soaking up the sun, fantastic views and atmosphere of the old medina. If you want to explore the medina or go further afield to Volubulis and Meknes, Kate & Alaa can arrange reliable and informative guides to take you wherever you wish at very reasonable cost. If you are lucky, you may have dinner at Dar Seffarine for a very small price and you will feast like a king. My partner and I are vegetarians and they went to great lengths to prepare delicious food for us -we enjoyed a couple of nights of just sitting with Kate, Alaa and other guests, chatting about Morocco, the culture and how people live. All of the staff are friendly and helpful and they paid a lot of attention to making our stay very comfortable, particularly Mohammed who is always in good humour. After staying for 5 days, we were all very sorry to leave and we are already thinking about a return visit to Dar Seffarine."

• Travel date: 8th January 2007

A true jewel in the heart of the medina ...

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"I mean the jewel is not only the building, not only the view, not only its location but also Alaa and Kate who are very sweet and friendly. BOOKING On their web site, then amended by email. Then we paid in cash. I don't know if you can pay by CC. ARRIVAL, and CHECK IN We also booked a taxi, wich is very convinient if you're not used to those kind of amazing cities, where it is so easy to get lost ... Kate showed us the Dar from ground floor to terrace. We had to fill in the Police form. THE BUILDING Alaa, who's an architect from Irak chose and restore this quite huge Dar ( traditional morrocan house ) 3 years ago. And it's now open as a guest house from middle 2006, I think. The architecture is fabulous and looks very genuine. We see that Alaa and Kate muste habe been loving this place, the picture is just perfect. The situation is right in the middle in the medina, however close to the R'Cif parking and streets, that means that it's easy to get a taxy from there - even when it's Aïd ... THE BEDROOMS I've seen them all. The two rooms in the groundfloor have a 20 feet high ceiling, and are very traditional looking. They're the good choice if you want easy and quick access to everything, however, I suppose it's not so good because of 1/ the noise, as they're directly on the patio, and 2/ you don't have any window on the ouside, except the patio light. Nevertheless, it's still the good place to be, because it's like everywhere in the medina, that makes a very genuine atmosphere. And the patio is so gorgeous ( see the pics ). The two rooms upstairs are something like 30 square meters with beautiful furniture and bathrooms. We had the one on the east side of the patio that was not so convinient to reach the terrace. The other one is the best room of the dar, with large views on the medina looking south, wich is very rare ... There are two suite. One with beautiful furniture, view on the patio and outside ... and the other one ... wich is a palace itself !! I don't give more details ... BREAKFAST On a room next to the terrace. Freshly made fruitjuices of different kinds, and a lot of morrocan specialities. They also do eggs. THE TERRACE Simple: the best view possible. Better than in Palais Jamai, because there, you are not a spectator but an actor as you are in ... an the view is almost 360° around, wich is very rare also ... THE WELCOME: I've visited "Riad Fes", wich is beautiful and 4 times more expensive, and also Palais Jamai, but there is no personality there. In Dar Seffarine, there is a casual and almost familly atmosphere, that you are sure to come back there, and not else where ! PRICES: I think the best value in Fes. Of course, there isn't ant pool ... but whatfor ?"

• Travel date: 3rd January 2007

Sublime!

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"When booking my accommodation I was tossing between staying in a hotel or in a Riad. I made the right choice with Dar Seffarine. Alaa and Kate were fantastic and made you feel so welcome from beginning to end. They could not do enough to make you feel at home and helped wherever they could. The Riad is beautifully restored and the rooms are gorgeous and very good value for money. I would recommend Dar Seffarine to anyone staying in Fes. I have already told so many people how great it is and how it is one of the best places i have ever stayed at!"

• Travel date: 3rd January 2007

Its not a hotel, its your home

Reviewed 21st November 2012

""Its not a hotel, its your home" is what Alaa the owner said to me when we first arrived, and he was true to his word. The riad is painstakenly restored to its original glory by Alaa and Kate. It is spacious, casual, friendly, beautiful and bang in the middle of the action. The terrace was the best feature with panoramic views over the old town. Sitting out there for sun rise, breakfast, and finally the clear night sky with shooting stars! Dinner at the riad is like a family feast and was 10 euros. U definately need a taxi pick up. Its impossible to get there with out a guide. THe taxi's are a nightmare, u have to argue to get them to use the meter and not make up a big price. U get followed around alot by people to help u for a tip. Its a bit annoying but u get over it. Top top place to stay, would recommend to anyone. I never write reviews so be this must be something!"

• Travel date: 24th December 2006

Wonderful hotel of a bygone era

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"I stayed at the Seffarine last month (November) for two nights and loved every minute of it. The staff were very helpful and the hotel's Moroccan design is fabulous. My single room in the ground floor was clean, spacios and comfortable. The terrace had a panoramic view of old Fez and I enjoyed a pot of Moroccan tea there. Breakfast was great, especially the Moroccan dishes. I also saw a suite in one of the upper floors and that was a true masterpiece in terms of its art work. Remember that Seffarine is in the old medina, so it can be very busy and crowded, not to mention smelly as donkeys are regulars there. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who appreciates history, art and staying in a place that's different."

• Travel date: 15th December 2006

Can I live here please?

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"Ooh! This was just sublime. 100 euros for a suite in a beautifully restored riad. Ideally situated next to the kairouane mosque in the heart pf the old city, yet handy for Bab Rcif and taxis to the rest of the world. Very friendly welcome from the faintly hippy Kate (unfortunately we never met her partner Alaa, responsible for the faultless restoration) and the indispensable Mohammed. We'll be back!"

• Travel date: 6th December 2006

It's fab!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Having stayed for only 3 nights I was almost in tears when we had to leave. All of the excellant reviews I've read on this website I absolutely concur with. Cannot understand and will not accept any word of criticism about this place! A truly beautifully restored building that takes your breath away with it's size and splendour whilst at the same time welcoming you into a secret haven of tranquility and friendliness. There's nothing ostentatious here, it's amazing how quickly you feel at home. We sat up on the roof terraces every night drinking wine, watching the sun set, chatting with other guests, comparing our daily adventures, listening to the call to prayer and even saw a shooting star one evening. Perfect happiness. Please go and stay - you'll have a ball, promise."

• Travel date: 1st December 2006

A great place to stay in Fes

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed 3 nights in Nov and were really glad we chose to stay at Dar Seffarine. The guesthouse was lovely, the rooms were well decorated and the owners were great. There's an excellent roof terrace where you can relax from the hustle & bustle of the medina and to watch the sunset. I'd recommend it to anyone who are looking for somewhere cosy to stay combined with top notch hospitality. I'm surprised that there a review saying they expected much better, for the price that we paid, I don't think we could find much better in Fes."

• Travel date: 27th November 2006

Really nice and beautiful house with lovely owners!!

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"We stayed for three nights in Dar Seffarine. We were impressed with the beauty of the house. We felt really confortable in that 'homely' environment. The owners are extremely nice and friendly. They even helped sorting out the taxis, and guide. If I go to Fes again, I know where to stay ;)"

• Travel date: 17th November 2006

Amazing accommodation

Reviewed 15th December 2012

"Stayed in this magnificent house in the old medina in Fez for 4 nights in late September. House is 600 years old and has been restored to create a masterpiece of morrocan architecture. The website is a true indication of the surroundings. Hosts (Ala & Kate) and the staff were extremely friendly & helpful and joined guests each morning for breakfast which was the best we enjoyed in 15 days of travelling throughout Morroco - very relaxed atmosphere and totally secure from the hustle and bustle in the Medina. We had a large bedroom on the ground floor (see website), beds were excellent as were bathrooms - an architectural gem!"

• Travel date: 15th October 2006