Good

The Perfect Choice

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"This was the first trip to Morocco for my husband and myself and we were trying to learn in advance how things were done there. Dar Roumana was our first stay and not only did owners Jennifer and Sebastian take ample time to make us feel at ease in the country before and during our stay (i.e. what transportation was best, etc.), their dar was such a treat it was hard to leave for the next city. After spending an unfortunate 48 hours of travel to get there, they made us feel welcomed and comfortable. We settled in and then were treated to a gourmet dinner with wonderful Moroccan wine. The dar is exquisite and Jennifer shared her stories and pictures of the renovation process with us as we were so impressed with the quality of the work. Every aspect was enjoyable and we would certainly stay there again. One warning for tourists traveling in Morocco by train, we were approached by a very friendly Moroccan who struck up a conversation with us on the train. We were discussing our plans and he discouraged us from staying at Dar Roumana and had terrible words about it and had other suggestions for where to stay and what to do instead. It turns out there is quite a racket of people working with faux guides to get your business and they are ruthless and cunning. The police are actually undercover in some trains to try to crack down on this as it has become a big problem. We even saw a sign at a riad in Marrakech warning about this problem after the fact. Try to avoid these people at all costs. The owners of Dar Roumana were wonderful, professional, and only offered assistance for tourism needs if asked. The pictures do not do it justice and we were so fortunate to find such a great overall first accomodation in a new country that we have fallen in love with."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of August 2007

Great Place!

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"This riad is beautiful, placed in a good location and the owner's are very friendly and helpful. I would suggest this place to anyone!
Make sure to ask Jennifer or Sebastian (the owner's) to have someone meet you at the train station/airport, because otherwise you will find it extremely difficult to find the location on your own. They did this for us and it worked out great."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of July 2007

Fabtastic Riad

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Fantastic riad , a palace in the medina.
We would recommend this riad for anyone staying in Fes. The hosts are very helpful and the evening meal is exquisite.
You may find a cheaper riad in Fes but it would not be of this high quality. Good value for money."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of May 2007

WOW!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"We just got back from a two night stay at the Dar Roumana, and regretted when it was time to leave - we wish we had more time. The place is absolutely incredible - almost so nice that we didn't want to leave to explore Fes, but simply enjoy the riad itself. We stayed in the Yasmina suite - which in all honesty was the most exquisite room we have ever had the privilage of staying in. Jennifer and Sebastian seemed wonderful (although they left on vacation the day after we arrived, which was unfortunate). I wish we were able to eat there one night (as the cooking smelled delicious), but becuase they left we were unable to do that. The staff is incredible, especially their porter - who will help you in any way! And the terrace - has the most incredible view of Fes - I can't imagine a better setting! Absolutely stay here!! We hope to go back one day!"

• Travel date: Fri 18th of May 2007

Fantastic Dar Roumana - Best Part of our Morocco Trip

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"My wife and I traveled from Brooklyn to Morocco for a spring holiday -- we went from Fes to Marrakech overland, and were able to see a good bit of the country. This impeccable, stylish, very cool guest house was the highlight of our trip. Fes is not nearly as touristy as Marrakech (though this is not for any lack of tourist sites -- it's just authentic, as opposed to Disneyland Morocco), and it can be difficult to find an appropriate retreat from the bustle of a medieval city, especially if you're used to the comforts of New York. Dar Roumana was the perfect respite, with its outstanding food, extraordinary design, perfect location, tasteful restoration, great views, unobtrusive but extremely helpful service, and -- not least -- the thoughtful, pleasant, hip young couple that owns the place, Jennifer and Sebastian, who went out of their way to sort out whatever we needed during our stay and provided us with meaningfully useful tips.

It's worthwhile to note that my wife and I travel abroad with some frequency -- an average of two substantial trips per year. We've stayed at a lot of places that could fall into the boutique hotel/design B&B category -- in South America, the Middle East, and Europe -- and Dar Roumana is one of the most memorable and special of the lot.

We liked it so much we added a third night after our first night at the place ..."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of May 2007

The best guesthouse ever

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"I stayed two nights with a friend in April. I wish the whole of my trip in Morocco could have been spent at Dar Roumana. Jennifer and Sebastian could not have been funnier, friendlier or more hospitable. We absolutely loved them. We got so much personal attention and truly felt at home. I hope to return to Fes at some point just so I can stay there again! We also had a fabulous meal and I'll definitely try to arrange a cooking lesson next time round. Needless to say, the house itself was extraordinarily beautiful and everything from the tea to the pillows to the films were flawlessly chosen and presented. Really, it would be hard to imagine a better experience - it exceeded our high expectations."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of May 2007

Wonderfull experience

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"We've been staying in Riads and Dars in all imperial cities. All very much to our liking, but none can beat the Dar Roumana experience. Situated in a less noisy part of the medina (though only a 5min. walk from the very heart), two great hosts who are entirely focussed on making sure you have a great time, great cross-over cuisine and an unbelievable house.
Both the "courtyard" and the rooms are fully restored. There's almost no reason to leave your bed to visit Fes: it doesn't get any more beautifull than in the Dar itself. Not to forget the terrace.
It's a most precious privilege to be their guest."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of April 2007

Wonderful!

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We've just returned from a long weekend at Dar Roumana and can't recommend the place highly enough. As other reviews mention, the website simply doesn't do the place justice, which is really saying something! Nothing can prepare you for the beauty of the place which has been so lovingly restored - a tranquil haven in the midst of the frantic medina!

The rooms are enormous and beautifully furnished. The views from the roof terrace are spectacular and Jennifer is a wonderful cook. It's just a shame that we didn't get chance to take the cookery class while we were there - but that just gives us an excuse to go back!"

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of March 2007

The best

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed here five nights in February and we simply had the best time. The interior is stunning. It's been painstakingly restored to its impressive former beauty and is as beautiful as other sights in Fes you'd pay to see. Jennifer and Sebastian make excellent hosts - friendly, helpful, available, but not intrusive in any way. We ate at Dar Rouman three nights out of the five because the meals were so tasty and the atmosphere so great (even down to the music, whether their choice of CDs or Sebastian's terrific guitar playing). And the cooking course gave good insight into the flavours and styles of Moroccan food. We can't recommend the place highly enough. Fes is a wonderful city, and Dar Roumana honestly the most wonderful place you could stay."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of March 2007

Awesome "Home" To Stay In-Cozy Retreat

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"We stayed for 3 nights in October- weather was delightful, warm but not hot. My husband and college daughter and I stayed in the Quormosa suite which was perfect for 3 people - the queen size bed was on the first floor and then a single was upstair in a cozy area by itself.

Jennifer is an absolutely wonderful cook, we had probably the best meal of all with her. And breakfast every morning was beautiful breads, fresh juice, jam, yogurt. You could eat on the roof top terrace or the inner courtyard, just ask. She was very accomodating and helpful.

If you buy things, be prepared to over pay - and you won't know it. We bought 2 Moroccan rugs and found when we got home that we WAY overpaid, but oh well, the memories. Their livlihood does depend very much on tourism, which they are trying to increase.

I would highly recommend our driver and english speaking guide who both gave me permission to post their names and phone number. If you engage either of these wonderful gentlemen, PLEASE tell them that Ali, with red hair, and Paul sent you. Ask Mohammed to take you to see the wild monkeys, and the outlying villages, was interesting. It provided a different view of Morocco. Mohammed is 29 or so, married with kids, speaks ok English, will teach you Arabic as you teach him English. He is very kind and amiable. Hamid is also married with kids, in his 30's and speaks fluent English, was a teacher and so he gives you a lot of history of the city. I can't say enough about the two of them.

We took the train from Tangier to Fez and were going to return by train as well, but instead decided to have Mohammed drive us to Tangier. That was great, we got a whole another 1/2 day of sight seeing. He is very reasonable, whatever he said he charged, I think we paid him 3x that - he was SOO reasonable, same with Hamid.

Driver: Mohammed (phone number)

Tour guide: Hamid (phone number)"

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of February 2007