About Dar Melody

• rooftop terrace

Good

A Perfect Fes Experience

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"I had the pleasure of staying at Dar Melody for 6 nights during my three weeks in Morocco and I could not have been happier with my decision. The property itself was easily the most beautiful of the 5 traditional-style riads I stayed in. My room had soaring 16+ ft ceilings, lots of hot water, and a large sitting area with comfortable leather mini-sofa. More importantly, the hospitality was second to none. The owners, Bernard and Laurence, are wonderfully charming people who made sure my experience was great. From driving me to/from the train station, to arranging city guides and day trips, to preparing way too much food for breakfast, I couldn't have asked for anything more. My only minor caveat is that my mattress felt a little like my university futon - a very small concern. Bernard and Laurence are French speaking so if you only speak English you might occasionally have to make use of an online translator but they were very patient with my limited ability to communicate in French. I highly recommend Dar Melody."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of May 2010

Couldn't be better

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"I always choose a hotel by its reviews as I value the opinion of the visitors who have stayed there. For this reason I feel impelled to share my experience. IT WAS GREAT! I wasn't sure if I fancied Morocco much due to the negative feedback from friends but I loved it and it was all down to the Dar Melody. They picked us up and took us back to the Airport which was a great releaf as we didn't have a clue where to begin (all included in the price), we had a welcome drink and some refreshing melon on arrival (all included in the price), we were driven to the main gate and given our bearings (all included in the price), we were escorted to and from the medina every night (all included in the price). The Riad itself was beautiful, rooms were comfortable and large, breakfast was yummy. Location wise, it is in the medina and at the other end of the main gate but as one reviewer commented, you have to walk one end to the other and back again anyway so it doesn't matter which end you begin. Hassle free as the owners are from Normandy and are there to advise and protect which is very comforting. All in all I just can't fault it. Thank you for your kind hospitality Jill and Pete xx"

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of April 2010

fantastic

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"Whatever you do, don't go to this Riad at the beginning of your holiday, as everywhere else will feel a let down !
Bernard and Laurence are really friendly and picked us up when we called them and dropped us as the train station for no extra charge.
The Riad is lovely. Very nicely decorated. the room we stayed in, at the top, was very nice and comfortable and nicely decorated.
The breakfast was very nice. Fruit, youghourt, pancakes, chocalate mousse, etc... The table was very nicely decorated. It all was an amazing contrast to the outside world !
I can't see anyone not enjoying this riad. We should've stayed longer !"

• Travel date: Tue 30th of March 2010

Fantastic place to stay!

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"Dar Melody is a wonderful place to stay! As others have said, its more like staying with good friends than in a generic hotel. Both Bernard and Laurance (the French owners) as well as Uda went out of their way to make me comfortable during my stay, as well as collecting me and dropping me off at the airport. The rooms are large and beautiful with couches and ensuite bathrooms overlooking the courtyard. The view from the rooftop terrace is breathtaking. You can see the several mosques as well as the tanneries. Although the location is at the opposite end of the Medina to the main gates, you see a more authentic Fes as you loose yourself in the maze of alley ways. I'd have no hesitation in staying here again."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of March 2010

Heaven and conviviality in the heart of the Medina of Fez

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"We stayed at the Dar Melody for 3 nights and I wish we could have stayed much longer in this splendid traditional house which was renovated by a wonderful French couple, Laurence and Bernard Lorget, who fell in love with this beautiful city a few years ago. This typical 3 storey Dar offers an amazing space of tranquility and comfort in the heart of the medina. It has a splendid terrace with wonderful views. Laurence and Bernard shared with us their passion and love for this city and its people in a most touching way. They were so welcoming and interesting to meet that we could have talked for days and days, while enjoying wandering through a labyrinth of narrow streets in the medina. It's just an amazing place, with amazing stories. It is very quiet, clean, spacious, and the breakfast is just another feast... Our stay at the Dar Melody was just too short but made for some of the best memories of our trip through Morocco. We'll have to go again soon..."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of February 2010

Absolutely fantastic!

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"My husband and I recently stayed at Dar Melody for 2 nights and enjoyed ourselves very much...our only disappointment was that they didn't have room for us to stay longer!

Our room was nicely appointed with a massive en suite and a beautiful views into the courtyard below.

While we would agree that the location isn't the best, we did appreciate that it was close to the tanneries and also that it allowed us to have an excuse for an interesting walk each day. While the main "action" of the souk is on the other side of the medina, it's only about 30 minutes on foot (5 minutes by taxi) and part of the fun of the medina is wandering around and getting lost. As far as we're concerned, it doesn't matter which end you start in, you're going to be circling around and exploring anyway!

Additionally, the amazing service and care that we experienced more than made up for any downside to the location. When we arrived to the train station, we were greeted by Bernard who was kind enough to pick us up, show us around a bit (including taking photos of us!) and bring us to the Dar. His lovely wife, Laurence, and the gorgeous Hannah, a Moroccan girl who works there, took such good care of us and made us feel right at home. They spoiled us with everything from beautiful melon and fresh OJ on arrival to yummy breakfasts with such a kind and caring manner...it made us sad to leave such a wonderful place!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of November 2009

Beautiful Oasis in the heart of Fes

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"Dar Melody is a really special place in fes, everything about this place is great. The house has been restored beautifully and is tastefully decorated. The rooms are so lovely and comfortable. My husband and me stayed in the Terrace room and I loved it. What makes this place really special though is Bernard and Laurence. They welcome you warmly into their home and help you with everything you could possibly need. They helped us get a really good price on a silk carpet and pointed us in the right direction for food, shopping, sights, Hammam, anything and everything. Laurence even purchased our bus ticket for our ongoing journey to Chefchoeun and drove us to the station to catch the bus. Make sure you are hungry for breakfast as Laurence serves a good breakfast with yummy moroccon delicacies plus if you are lucky you will get to try her homemade Mousse, a delightful treat! Thank you to our wonderful host, we hope to return to Fes someday and will definitely be booking in at Dar Melody again."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of November 2009

5-Star... but maybe not for everyone!

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights on our first trip to Morocco. We loved the place and thought it was a great find. There are some drawbacks but I felt the level of service and genorosity provided by the owners overshadowed everything else.

Pros: Incredible Value, Personal and Genuine Service, Big Rooms, Roof-Top Views
Cons: Location, Stairs aren't for the weak or the timid
Notable: The owners speak only a bit of English -- for us that was fun to practice the bit of French we know.

First off, the owners of this small riad are a wonderful French couple. They treat you like you are family and have invited you into their home. At no additional charge, they took us to and from the train station, went to the train station while we were out and bought our train tickets to Marrakech, took us to dinner on the night of our arrival and came and picked us up afterwards, arranged tours, helped find meals at night, and gave me medicine when a bad meal in Fes made me sick. Other than paying the basic cost of the train ticket, there was no additonal charge. At 50 euro per night for our room, this is simply amazing -- for 4 nights it was 200 euro flat... nothing extra at all!

The riad employs (at the time of writing) to young local girls to help around the house. One spoke English and was very helpful when we first arrived. Both did a great job of trying to cater to your every need. It should be noted that everyone there was a huge promoter of Fes and how much they loved their city.

There are only three rooms for guests and the owners sleep on the ground floor. The rooms are nicely finished with items from Fes and built or restored by local artisans. The decor wasn't overdone and felt a bit more realistic than the hotels we stayed at elsewhere in Morocco. The bed was comfortable enough. The room had a very good air conditioner that could heat or cool. The bathroom was simple (open air shower with a drain in the floor) but clean with ample hot water. Our room was the topmost floor -- half of it was the open air roof top terrace. This was nice since our room had windows that opened to the terrace (this was the only hotel we stayed at in Morocco with windows facing outside.) There is no TV or coffee service but since the house is open to guests, the lounge on the lower level is available and the owners were very good about offering tea, coffee, and water whenever we went downstairs. There is also a PC that is free to use for checking email or whatever.

The roof has a simple terrace with loungers and a dining table. The view over the medina was excellent and provided what was probably our best up-close view of Fes (see pictures.) Listening to the call to prayer from the roof top was a great experience.

Breakfast was simple but they offered four choices -- mostly various local breads and pastries or scrambled eggs. Tea, coffee, juice, fruit, Moroccan yogurt (tasty!) and toast were always available. You can also join them for dinner for (I think) 10 euro per person.

The building is a restored riad. It wasn't as polished as some of the others we saw but they have done a good job of bringing it back to life and it seemed like the process was on-going. The stairs are one negative, however. Our room was at the top of this tall building and the height of each step is about double the norm -- it was a workout to get baggage up and down.

The location has some good points and bad points. It is outside the typical tourist area of the Fes medina -- good to see a less-touristy part of town, but although we never had anything happen that made us feel unsafe we would hesitate to walk around the area after dark. The owners recognize this issue and went well beyond expectations in providing someone to escort us when needed. The hotel is only about 10 minutes walk from the main souks (shops) of Fes. The biggest negative, however, is the proximity to one of Fes's big landmarks: the tanneries. The tanneries stink and when the wind blew the right way, so did our room and the roof top. I got used to it but my wife did not.

This place is very comfortable but it's not like a normal hotel. If you are expecting a level of luxury like some riad's boast, this isn't the place. Like I said, it is more like staying with good friends or family and for us, that worked out well.

One more thing: One morning we got up for breakfast around 9 and went downstairs. Another French couple was staying with their young daughter in one of the other rooms. The young girl was up well before the parents, sitting downstairs eating breakfast. Hanna (sp?), one of the young ladies working at the riad, was playing the role of parent: getting the girl her food, helping her eat, wiping her face. It was adorable and just shows how this place works!"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of November 2009

Wonderful Place

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"Dar Melody is a beautifully restored house in the Medina of Fes, with a tons of original details. They have three guestrooms that are very comfortable and immensely large and there is also a very nice roof terrace overlooking the medina. Bernard and Laurence do really everything to make your stay as comfortable as possible and make you feel home in their house and fes right away."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of September 2009

Look no further!

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"I am still at this guest house but feel compelled to write in case anyone is about to book a place to stay in Fez. The house is wonderful, so beautiful and the rooms are extremely comfortable. Thank goodness for air conditioning! The most important thing about his place though is Bernard and Laurance, the owners. They are evrything host should be: kind, generous, approachable and they truly welcome you into their home, insisting that you treat it as your own. They gave guidance on restaurants, prices of goods in the medina and Bernard was only too happy to drive us to the station, or to a distinct spot in the medina. If you can book this place you will be lucky! Dar Melody is a home from home and should be top of the list for places to stay in Fez. Book it now!!"

• Travel date: Tue 28th of July 2009