Dar El Hana Patio-photo Suzanna Clarke

Good

Friendly, beautiful riad

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"We had just got off a flight from England and were a little lost. Josephine, the owner had arranged a taxi to take us to the carpark nearby as there are no cars in the medina. We were met by a guy with a hand cart who carried our luggage through the streets- avoiding several donkeys. This was an excellent start as you would struggle to find it otherwise. Emerging from the bussle into the calm of the riad was such a relief. The riad is beautifully furnished with intricately restored morroccan style tiling. Josephine explained how to get around and supplied maps and guidance on Fez and its surroundings. Our room was excellent and we had a bathroom to ourselves right next door which was best described as opulent. The only drawback to staying in a traditional riad is the lack of sound proofing. You can hear everything said in the courtyard/dining area below. Fez is a wonderfully old fashioned place with much nicer things to buy than anywhere else we visited in morrocco. Restaurants are pretty basic in the old town but it was an amazing introduction to this beautiful country. We found and arranged this through www.fez-riads.com . They passed on our details and our arrival plans and were excellent to. Visit Fez - its amazing!"

• Travel date: 15th May 2007

Amazing Hospitality

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"Dar El Hana is a wonderful place to stay. Josephine, the owner, is an amazing host and she really does take huge pains to welcome each guest and talk to him/her about Fes and their plans. During my stay Josephine was incredible in helping my friend and I locate a reliable car hire company. No other host would do this, I'm sure- but Josephine is a very special host who really is passionate about welcoming her guests in a non-overbearing way. She also provided great recommendations for restaurants and places to visit. None of the other places I stayed in in Fes had this level of engagement with their guests. Indeed the other local ex-pat I came across said they wouldn't eat in the Medina which I thought was ridiculously snobby as I found the food in the Medina is great (and I dine out at expensive London restaurants with work all the time!). If you can locate the small Chicken Pastilla shop near Dar Seffarine, you're in for a treat! Anyway the rooms at Dar El Hana are cosy and I particularly thought the bed I had in the Hibiscus room rivalled the "Heavenly Bed" offered at The Westin (If you know your global brand of 4-5 star Hotels and their signature items, you'll know that The Westin rant about their special "Heavenly Beds." I actually spend a signifcant time in a Westin Hotel and I can assure you that Dar El Hana's bed was seriously as comfortable as The Westin's! Also the breakfasts at Dar El Hana are superb- Most riads/dars in Fes' offer bits of bread for breakfast but Dar El Hana had delicious crepes and tasty jam. All in all a superb dar to stay in!"

• Travel date: 20th April 2007

The must-stay riad in Fes

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"Lovely accommodation, superb ambience, expertly managed by Josephine. Look no further. FrankMB, London"

• Travel date: 9th April 2007

Oasis of Calm

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"Arrived at the airport to find the taxi arranged by the owner waiting for us. 45 minutes later we arrived at the car park on the edge of the Fes medina. Josephine, the owner was waiting as we got out of the car. The Dar itself is well hidden within the medina but close enough to the car park to enable a quick departure by taxi if needed. My wife, daughter and I stayed in the Jacaranda Suite.It was comfortable and spacious. For three people it was perfect as in effect there were two bedrooms separated by a curtain. Hospitality was outstanding. Breakfasts tended to be a communal affair which added to the overall enjoyment. Evening meals prepared by Fatima were absolutely superb. One of the finest features of the Dar was the roof terrace with extensive views over Fes. As the previous writer has said, a cold beer on the roof after a day out and with some quiet conversation included made for a memorable stay. All in all I cannot fault the place. Josephine fully deserves all the success she achieves."

• Travel date: 31st March 2007

Fabulous comfort in Fes

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"We arrived in Fes mid-morning when the medina was in full swing so fetching up at the Dar el Hana was just lovely. The door opens to a beautifully tiled and spotless staircase, and upstairs is the breakfast room and lounge area. The owner Josephine has restored this immaculate Dar with the best in restrained good taste, the wooden balconies and furnishings are gorgeous, and the whole place is to a human scale. I stayed in two rooms during my stay, the first had a king sized bed which was the most totally comfortable I've ever slept in in a hotel, beautiful crisp white sheets and a wonderfully clean bathroom (complete with fab shower) completed the picture. The second was twin bedded and equally comfortable, they were extra long so none of that annoying 'feet hanging off the end' feeling eihter! Breakfast was delicious and incredibly generous, lots of coffee and juice and the pastries and pancakes were to die for. We had great weather, so perhaps the biggest bonus was lying on the roof terrace with a beer and a book and having unobtrusive conversation with other guests. In fact our fellow guests helped make this holiday, all interesting people who we were happy to spend time talking to over breakfast or while sunbathing. Josphine herself is the epitome of grace and helpfulness, always on hand for advice or directions and with a very useful library of books on Fes and Morocco in general. Totally fantastic place, can't recommend it highly enough!"

• Travel date: 8th March 2007

Great place

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"We stayed there for 3 nights. This Riad is in a very good location in the Fes medina. The house is very nice with a personal athmosphere where you chat with other residents over breakfast. The breakfast is great btw! Josephone who owns this Riad is very friendly and helpful in assisting with any issues. Great value for money... PS We did a cooking course in Fes with Lachen (www.fescooking.com) and highly recommend it. Björn and Kristín."

• Travel date: 2nd March 2007

Awesome little house right in the Medina

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"I stayed in this fabulous, newly restored house for almost a month and I enjoyed every bit of it. It's so close to all the action in the ancient medina, yet just far enough off the main street that you can get peace and quiet after a day out in the hustle and bustle. The Australian owner Josephine is a marvelous host, excellent for advice, and goes the extra mile to ensure you have a memorable stay. Fatima, the maid is also a lovely addition to the friendly and hospitable atmosphere. Bedrooms are clean, each bathroom has a charm of its own and there's plenty fo room to do your own thing. Also the airconditioner was a much appreciated bonus! I guess all the comments on this place is proof enough of Dar El Hana's charm!"

• Travel date: 16th January 2007

Wonderful guest house in the world

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"I stayed for three nights and could have wonderful time there. Australian owner, Josephine has a full of hospitality, The house is very lovely and very clean. Moreover, the location is very good,1 block away from main street, and 10 minutes from Blue gate. I could be relaxed in cozy atmosphere of house, especially I love drinking beer (20MAD) on the roof while watching row of houses in the medina of Fez in the evening. Laundry (20MAD) is available. Dinner is also possible on the request. I will stay at El Hana again at the next time."

• Travel date: 5th January 2007