About Dar Attajalli

• rooftop terrace

Good

more than what I expected

Reviewed Mon 14th of January 2013

"it is an incredible place with a stunning view, the host is much more than you can ever expect, you will feel pumpered for all your staying, at least we did, and every morning you are going to wake up you know your day is going to start with one of the most fullfiling and tastefull breakfast you can ever immagine. Now.. I know I sound like the very good friend of the owner but the truth is, I had never met her before but... I am so happy I did.
Have a nice holiday..."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of May 2008

Whimsical Elegance a Poetical Paradise

Reviewed Mon 14th of January 2013

"I stayed at Dar Attajalli for three nights. I found the accomodation to be superb and fantastically elegant. Outside local craftsmen worked diligently on threads for the local carpret makers. From the entrance to this sophisticated Dhar came the lovely proprietress Kleo.

It is a combination of elegance juxtaposed with a poetic attention to detail. I stayed in the orange suite draped with fabulous fabrics and a calm setting. The Dhar evolves to the roof top where there is a fabulous view of the Fes, Medina. Sitting in the mesna on the terrace I indulged in an organic breakfast and liked the terrace so much found it difficult to leave this beautiful picturesque view.

Later on that evening I enjoyed the fabulous dinner where I had a delicous tagine, with many appetizers and a gorgeous fruit flan for desert. I would highly recommend this accomodation and defintely plan on returning. It is one of the secret jewels of the Fes medina."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of May 2008

Dodgy Dar

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Our introduction to Dar Attajalli was less than wonderful. The person who met us to guide us through the medina to the Dar, took us down back alleys full of dodgy individuals and running streams of sewage.

The photos on Dar Attajalli's website make it look quite nice but upon arrival we found it very dark and the room were to stay in was, in summary, coffin-like, complete with untraditionally morroccan shiny satin bedcoverings. The decorating style takes tacky to a new level and made our stomachs flip over. The plumbing barely works and Kleo, the owner, warned us that due to water pressure issues we shouldn't stand directly infront of the tap when we turned on the sink in case the water shot straight out at us.

A word of warning to future travelers - there is a difference between a "Dar" and a "Riad." A true Riad has a garden and probably some sunlight in the courtyard. A "Dar" is a tall, narrow house and quite dark inside. This place is a Dar, not a Riad.

We were accosted by hoardes of unsavory men around the house - which is far too deep inside the medina of Fez for most traveler's comfort. When we talked to Kleo about our concerns, rather than trying to help the situation, she argued with us.

I can not recommend this place and hope no one else has the horrible experience we did. I suggest staying somewhere on the periphery of the Medina in a true Riad with sunshine and gracious hosts."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of May 2008

Perfectly Delightful

Reviewed Wed 9th of January 2013

"We loved our stay here, and recommend it strongly. Some highlights:

1) Delightful owner - We were overwhelmed by owner Kleo's kindness and generosity from the moment we arrived. She immediately made us tea with delicious almond pastries and gave us a map of the Medina (which proved essential). She entertained us each morning at breakfast by sitting with us and the other guests to talk about our experiences in the city and share her stories

2) Beautiful accommodation - The restoration of the Dar is exceptional, the rooms are tastefully decorated, and the roof deck is extraordinary

3) Great neighborhood - around the corner from the main markets, restaurants, and sights, and distant enough from the main gates (where some tourist services cluster) so that it feels a part of an authentic neighborhood

4) Delicious breakfast - Some of the best food we had in Morocco was the breakfasts here (delicious honey and jams, four to five varieties of freshly-made breads and pancakes, fresh fruit with yogurt, etc.)"

• Travel date: Wed 19th of March 2008

SIMPLY FABULOUS!

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Our stay in Fez was made unforgettable by the hospitality, attention to details and a most welcoming nature of Kleo...

oh! and not forgetting the 7 course breakfast that really made you feel like a King/Queen and kept you going all day!!

The dar is 2 mins from the main shopping street, which was handy given the amount of shopping we ended up doing and 10 mins walk from the best eating places.

Regardless of the shopping/eating, I think we would have loved Fez had we not ventured out of the house itself. It has a home-from-home feel, you could lounge in the absolutely lovely, pristine rooms or sit on the terrace sipping Moroccan tea all day and still walk away having fallen in love with the place!!

Not If, but when I go back...I wouldn't stay anywhere else!!"

• Travel date: Sun 16th of March 2008

The Incredible Dar Attajalli by EBTepper

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Staying at the Dar Attajalli far surpassed anything I had imagined in such a wonderful way!!! Kleo, the owner, thinks through every moment and detail of your stay and will guide and direct you to all her favorite spots for everything from organic honey, to custom tailoring, to tourist sites. She really goes the extra length to show you the magic uniqueness of Fez. The interior of the Dar Attajalli reflects this with a warm welcome every time you enter it, and many small local details inside that make the Dar Attajalli itself a never ending experience for your senses. I could visit again and again."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of March 2008

Luxury Accomodation and First Class Service at a fair price

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"Dar Attajalli is a gem in the Medina worth re-visiting again and again. Here are my top 3 reasons why:

1) The "Kleo-attention to service": Kleo (the owner) makes you feel at home and more. We were there during Christmas 2007 and what a way to spend it away from home! Every night, she makes sure that the dining room on the terrace was warmed up before we spend time there for night caps exchanging stories and experiences (she also was telling hers of course) over a bottle of Moroccan wine. She brought us to another Riad to celebrate Christmas with a group playing traditional Gnawa music. Then she accompanied us for a personalized tour of the Palais el Mokri (the caretaker is her friend).

2) Breakfast for Kings and Queens: Organic, sumptuous, full and healthy: these are the adjectives that best describe it. Breakfast at Dar Attajalli is something we look forward to every morning to start the day right!

3) Location in the Medina: it's in the heart of the Medina which has close access to the Bab Jeloud (main gate), shopping areas, mosques and 15mins by foot to the Tanneries.

I would definitely go back to Fes and stay in Dar Attajalli again!"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of March 2008

Perfect stay ! ! !

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We stayed at Dar Attajelli for two nights between Xmas and New Year and it was amazing ! ! Arriving late, someone came to fetch us just outside the Medina as it is car free and you would get lost anyway when you don't know it really... Kleo, the owner, welcomed us warmly and showed us our room. Beautiful room nicely decorated with great taste ! Then, we went on the terrace upstairs and met the other guests. Great atmosphere, amazing view. On the next day, we had a wondeful breakfast, fresh orange juice, local products, soooo delicious... the terrace was sooo nice that we stayed there til 3pm ! Then discovered the medina with a great guide that Kleo had advised us and contacted for us. As we had to go to Marrakech, she did everything she could to find solutions for us. We had a great stay, the guest house was simply amazing, we had never seen something as beautiful, restful and Kleo is such a nice person. Discover it yourself, you CANNOT be disappointed."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of March 2008

Wonderful stay and a beautiful Riad

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"As soon as we stepped indoors from the Medina we were taken away by the beauty of the place. It was only open a month when we arrived so it was not well known to our good luck as we were arriving during a busy period. We were starting to worry as we could'nt get anywhere to stay but its only a matter of time before this beautiful Riad is discovered and the prices go up as well.

The Riad had a very fine finish and the attention to detail was amazing like the olive soap paste in the bathroom which the Moroccon's use. We stayed in a first floor room which which was very cosy and a very comfortable bed that was hard to leave. The breakfast which was an array of local foods which you had on the rooftop with beautiful views of the city was a nice way to start your day and talk to other guests.
We travelled around morocco for a month and it was without a doubt the highlight of our stay. So as you can see I highly reccomend this Riad in Fez and doubt you'll see anything that differs here."

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of March 2008

Simply Amazing!

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"I have stayed in a lot of Guesthouses in Morocco and across the globe and Dar Attajalli has to be the best I have ever stayed in. The rooms were amazing, clean, tastefully decorated, great hot showers, and the views from the roof are amazing. The breakfast that was served was healthy, organic, and best of all, local Moroccan fare. The best part of Dar Attajalli was the owner Kleo. She went above and beyond to make sure her guests were well accommodated and comfortable. She helped us find guides, restaurants, sights, and she even was up in the middle of the night to see us off when we left for Marrakesh. Simply put, there is no reason to stay anywhere else in Fez... but that is just the opinion of this traveler."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of March 2008