Good

Relaxing, lovely, exactly what the doctor ordered.

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I spend a third of the year in hotels for business. This place is great. The staff could not do enough for us buying supplies for us(the kitchen was worth its weight in gold) helping us with info about Essaouira. We travelled with a 3 year old and the room with cot was exactly what we required. It was quiet and when on the one evening the sea mist came in had heating that we could switch on. We could hear the sea and sitting on the roof terrace had a great view of the sea and surrounding hills. The management were most accomodating and helped with several suggestions for our stay there. We would go again at the drop of a hat."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of March 2009

Apartment was wonderful

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"We stayed here with our 3 year old - having the space of the apartment was wonderful - the little touches (roses, bottle of water, oranges, dates, almonds on arrival) were lovely. Even the towels were tied together with straw.

The staff were lovely and helpful, they met us at the bus station and ordered us a grand-taxi and also the trolley guy to wheel our luggage to the taxi.

The apartment is high up so we heard no traffic noise at all.

My only regret is that we only had 2 nights here - I wish we had stayed for longer here and less time in Marrakesh.

Our apartment was fully cleaned and the lady even washed our mugs (it was so nice to be able to make a cuppa -bring your own t if you like it strong - Lipton is all you can get in Morocco)

The apartment's private terrace is lovely, but the roof top is even nicer with a view of the sea - you can hear the waves at night in bed if you listen (or have a window open)

If I ever get back to Morocco, this is where I will stay."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of January 2009

Lovely Riad

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"We stayed in the Lunetoile in Essaouira in January this year. We stayed for four nights in room number four. This was a large and spacious room with small adjoining dressing room area and ensuite bathroom.
We were met at the bus station by one of the ladies who worked there. She guided us to the property. Like most Riads there is a sense of expectation as you enter the front door as you never know what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. This well restored riad is set over three floors with an appartment on the top floor which looked a great place to stay. We were on the second floor in room four which is the most spacious room. It was tastefully restored. We had ensuite facilities but I think the two rooms on the ground floor had a shared bathroom.
I was particularly impressed with the roof terrace where you could sit out and "take the rays" and the sun room with couches which is an absolutely wonderful place to kick back enjoy a book, roof top views and the sound of the sea on the essaouira walls. Breakfast, which was generous could be served on the roof or where you wanted.
Our rooms were cleaned daily and well. The staff were very attentive and would help if needed.
We booked this during a special offer so only paid half price for our room. This was an absolutely bargain for the standard of accommodation and service we recieved."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of January 2009

Great experience!

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"This was the fourth time I have visited Essaouira and this was the nicest and cheapest place I've stayed at. My husband, sister, brother-in-law, and I rented the two rooms on the first floor (300MAD and 400 MAD), which was perfect for us since we didn't mind sharing a bathroom with family. It ended up feeling more like renting a suite because the staff goes home at night, so we just spend time in the lobby/lounge area and felt like we had the place to ourselves.

The riad and the rooms are very sweetly decorated, and there a number of little touches which we found delightful. The beds were quite hard, but this didn't bother us. Again, the rooms are surprisingly nice for this price. The staff was also friendly and helpful.

The bathroom could perhaps use a bit of touching up and if I went back with just my husband, I would definitely want to rent one of the rooms on the second floor which has its own bathroom. Also, there is currently some building going on nearby, which involves annoying hammering from 8am, but I imagine that won't last for too much longer."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of October 2008

Loved the Hamaam Souad took us to

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Having read the other reveiws I felt I should add mine. The rooms do vary in size, decor, comfort, so it is wise to look at the photographs on their website before booking. It is true that the Femme de Maison (it was a lovely lady called Souad when my sister and I visited) does not speak English, but we managed with my very rusty Schoolgirl French and plenty of mime/sign language. One of the highlights of our week in Essaouira was when she took us to the local Hamaam. We have some lovely photos taken in the salon - full of laughter and happiness. Yes, there is some noise from the street at nights, and Lune Etoile is in a rather down market part of the medina (hence the price) and yes the roof terrace might benefit from a litle tarting up - but the views over the rooftops and sea were superb. And I rather like shabby chic! There are plenty of riads to choose from in Essa, varying in price and luxury levels, but I will remember my stay there forever, and it will always be one of my favourite places. When we left early one morning to get our taxi to Marrakech airport, everyone we met wished us Au Revoir , so I must go back, hopefully for the music festival one June."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of June 2008

Lovely riad, helpful staff, nice terrace

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We had a lovely 3-night stay at the Lunetoile. We were met at the Supratours drop-off and shown to a lovely mini-suite (no 4) with use of a shared kitchen opposite. The decor was very tasteful, the bed comfortable (although one side of it was VERY creaky!) and the bathroom clean and well-sized. It even had a bath, a bit of a a luxury in Morocco.

The breakfasts were very good (fruit is not offered; it's bread and little pastries, although this seems to be standard) and the staff were all very nice and helpful.

There is a smallish but nice terrace on the roof - this would be a lot more appealing with a few pot plants and a bit of colour. There is also a little room on the roof - a kind of conservatory, which is lovely if it's a bit windy.

We were shown the self-contained apartment, with it's own little kitchen and lovely terrace - this looked great for families or for anyone wanting a bit more privacy.

The only minor downers were the constant rap/dodgy Eastern pop coming from the radio in the main entrance hall, and the fact that ants were crawling in the pot containing our complementary biscuits/dates by the second day! The cleaners probably should have removed this before ants could get in, but maybe we should have just eaten them all in the first place...

All in all, I would definitely recommend this riad to a friend - a peaceful retreat and a great place to chill out."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of June 2008

A charming Essaouira riad

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Our stay at Lunetoile was magnificent. The rooms were comfortable and tastefully decorated. The complimentary breakfasts were enormous with some of the best mint tea we had during our entire 2-week Morocco stay, fresh squeezed orange juice, and pastries. The Lunetoile employees took wonderful care of us--great recommendations, always eager and willing to help. If you're planning a trip to Morocco, Essaouira is a must, as is this riad. It's a bargain."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of May 2008

Loved it!!

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"myself, my sister and my friend really enjoyed our stay at Riad Lunetoile. We pretty much agree that our stay was the defineate highlight of our trip to Morocco! We really appreciated the attention to detail in the way the place has been set up and run. We were treated very nicely considering our non existent French and/or Arabic!! We all pretty much agreed that if we come back to Morocco that both Essaouira and Riad Lunetoile will be place we will look to go to in the first instance."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of January 2008

lovely accomodation

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"my boyfriend and i stayed at lunetoile in february last year for three nights. there were many positives in our stay. the rooms were bright, colourful and clean. the communal area'a were very artistic. full of character and welcoming.

we stayed in the larger suite an the second floor which was peaceful and spacious. it was well also well located in the center/north end of the medina. there was nice little rooftop with views of the ocean and rooftops of the medina.

think if i was going to visit again i would book the mini appartment on the top floor with the private balcony and views of the sea.

the only downfall of our stay was that the maid's english wasn't very good and our french awful, so communication was sometimes uncomfortable. but would highly recommend this riad when staying in essaouira"

• Travel date: Mon 21st of January 2008

Little dissapointing

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"We stayed in that Riad only one night. Our room, on the 1st floor, was very little and dark, with bathroom outside. It was loud during the night, we heard people walking on the street, and motorbikes - just as they walked next to our bed! I almost haven't slept. In the morning we heard people on the corridor, preparing breakfast, so we couldn't sleep more than till 7. The room was cold and the heater provided by the owners didn't work properly. The room felt wet as well and it smelled like dump. There was no heating in the shared bathroom, and bathroom was not very clean. It was dissapointing, especially in comparison with the price for it.

Breakfast on the other hand was great, and we had it on the terrific tarrace, overlooking the sea. The Riad was beautifully decorated, with lots of little artistic objects.

Good thing was that the owners organized a pick up from the Supratour station. It was also easy to book it. Although the owner is native English speaker, her staff does not speak a word of English. Moreover, the house lady was very unpleasant and rude to us when we arrived late because of our Supratour bus was late. It really wasn't our fault. She was also unpleasant when we finally decided to move out after the first sleepless night. We moved to Riad Lalla, which from the first minute was so much more pleasant experience.

We saw other, more expensive rooms and they looked much better. So the best option would be to check the rooms before you decide whether to stay there or not."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of November 2007