About Maison du Sud

• rooftop terrace

worth the trip to Essaouira

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"If I could rate this a 10 I would. This is 5 star treatment all around. I have stayed in hundreds of rooms, from hostels to five stars and this rates one of the top. I intended on staying 2 nights and stayed 2 weeks. The rooms are exactly as the photos show, beautifully decorated, spotless, hot hot shower, beautiful mood music, candles, fresh flowers in my room. Said and Bhryn went above and beyond to make sure I had a pleasant stay. They even ran a wireless modem up to my room. The staff is kind and warm and the service was flawless. The food is wonderful, the setting is relaxing. I dont know how much better I could sell this place but it alone is worth the trip to Essaouira."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of May 2009

Peaceful retreat in Essaouira center

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"This is my third time coming to this wonderful inn...since the last time, they have expanded it. This time we had a two story room with a sitting area...two double beds...really nice and private...but wonderful Moroccan style. The staff always makes us feel like this is our home away from home...charming with lots of history and RIGHT in the middle of town...but peaceful and quiet!"

• Travel date: Sun 17th of May 2009

2nd time here

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"2nd visit to this hotel for a week over the festival. Perfect location and value for money again. Brahim and Said looked after me again and it was like a 2nd home for me. Very friendly and helpful. Don't expect luxury and if you want an aired room choose the front of the street so to have a window (the rooms in essa in general tends to be damp & sometimes musty) and perhaps earplugs though the noise never bothered me(even during the festival).
thanks again for a great stay
they too let us leave baggage and use terrace after we had checked out."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of July 2008

Will never go there again

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Once you get past the beautiful interior--and it is very beautiful. While we were able to negotiate a cheaper price before booking (600 dirhams to 500 a night for two nights), our first night was a nightmare. We had one of the rooms that is double floors (room #1), just right after the first flight of stairs. My friend slept in the twin bed downstairs and i slept in the one upstairs. To my horror, I found dead bedbug bodies everywhere in the bed and on the frame. When I told the night clerk--he could only speak French to me, and I know very little French--trying to explain they are bugs from all the roses they have in the riad. Nice romantic spin. I know what bedbugs look like because I've done a lot of research, thanks to my phobia. I took the change that maybe I was wrong and tried to go to sleep, but couldnt. I went downstairs and decided I was too afraid to sleep in any of the beds, and would sleep downstairs on a cushion-ponge in sitting area. The night clerk took complete advantage of the fact that I was scared and upset about the bed bugs. He kept trying to touch me and tried to climb into bed with me several times! It was a living nightmare---the bedbugs and the creepy bug/man trying to molest me! When I told another clerk in the next morning, they gave us a new room (room15) that was nice and we didnt have any problems with bugs. They told me the man would be fired, but I doubt it. I tried to get that night for free and the managment still made me pay for it! After everything I went through---some customer service for you. All in all, dont go there. It's not worth it, particularly if you are a woman."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of March 2008

dont go there!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Clearly whoever has given this riad a good review is not well travelled! Staff are unfriendly and unhelpful. Rooms are terribly noisy and the decor is tired. We cut our stay short after two nights!"

• Travel date: Mon 29th of October 2007

Lovely riad

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"Just got back from a fantastic stay at Maison du Sud. The Riad is in a great location in the middle of the bustling medina at Essaouira,

It's an incredibly relaxed place to stay (the riad and the town!) Our room was clean and spacious (although as in the nature of a riad quite dark!) and very resonably priced. The breakfast was great and you could choose where to eat it - we had ours on the roof in the morning sun. They have a tent on the roof for more afternoon relaxation in the shade! The staff were very helpful and friendly - they arranged for a taxi to pick us up from the airport and also one to take us to our hotel in marrakech. Great!"

• Travel date: Thu 13th of September 2007

lovely place

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I booked this riad after reading the reviews here and I was very pleased with it. It's not fancy, but it is charming and clean. The staff is helpful and friendly. The doubles all have two rooms, a bedroom and a sitting room, which was an added bonus. I highly recommend it. We stayed an extra night because we were so content there."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of June 2007

Good riad

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"A group of 9 of UK booked out the Maison du Sud and spent 2 nights there on 6 st March. It is a beautiful place, all the rooms overlook the courtyard which has a small pool, the roof terrace is large with..."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of March 2007

December, 2006

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Last week we stayed for one night at the Maison du Sud in the heart of Essaouira in Morocco. It is a charming traditional style riad hotel with inner courtyards and plenty of character. My room was over two floors and designed in a rustic style. Downstairs a restaurant served delicious fish soup and tagine. This is not a luxury hotel but it is charming, full of character and authentic detail, and it's clean. A bonus is that you come out of the hotel and are right in the heart of the town, which. I reccomend to anyone: its beautiful, breezy, pedestrianised. It has a busy fishing port and freshly grilled fish straight from the sea.."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of December 2006

Hotels near Maison du Sud

Maison du Sud is also called

• Maison Sud