Loved it

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Ended up here after no reservation at the Sofitel Mogodor (See review of same date).

Kuoni moved us here from the other hotel and what a difference. Although the room was small the whole experience was fantastic.

We dined in the hotel once which was my wifes birthday and the meal was great. They even gave her a home made Birthday cake and sang happy birthday in Moroccan.

The staff could not do enough for you - i could not even carry my drink from one place to another without a member of staff doing it for me.

We hope one day to come back and see the sunny smiles on all the staff's faces.

P.S. Don't forget to try the camel ride on the beach."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of June 2006

Bit Overrated

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"I was a bit disappointed with the hotel. The front office service was not good. The staff on the whole were excellent but anything you required from the front desk was difficult if not impossible. It did not help that the reception staff are hidden behind a screen!

Our room was very small. After having an enormous suite in Marrakech my friend and I could hardly fit all our clothes and shopping in the room without rearranging the furniture. We were unable to get a suite because, as is so usual, there were few rooms with twin beds. As is usual finding anywhere nice that caters for single travellers is extremely hard, unless you are prepared to fork out on two rooms.

The hotel was nice, the roof terrace and pool very pleasant but it is so windy it is actually almost too cold to swim and on some days even impossible to sit out with a sweater on. There are no wind barriers and people were huddled next to walls to try and avoid the worst of the wind. It was also impossible to eat at the terrace bar.

The food is also extremely expensive. While one expects to pay more for a first class meal at a Relais Chateaux establishment the prices for Moroccan standards were in our view excessive. $16 for a not very good club sandwhich for example.
We enjoyed our stay but I will not be going back."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of May 2006

A quiet oasis

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Stayed here for four nights in March 2006.Hotel is in a great position by one of the main gates into the old town thus avoiding a walk through pedestrianised streets with your luggage.Everything within easy walking distance.We had a standard room which was reasonably spacious and spotlessly clean but we had to ask for a hairdryer and TV remote control.Both were brought immediately by a very friendly and efficient receptionist.However,the other girls on the front desk obviously found it tiresome to have to deal with guests!
There was a good breakfast buffet and the food in the restaurant in the evenings was very good,served by pleasant and efficient staff.
Altogether,a very nice place to escape to away from the hustle and bustle of a very interesting town."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of March 2006

could do better

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"Having stayed in what is probably the only bad riad in Marrakech we escaped the hustle and bustle and settled for L'Heure Bleue.

We really enjoyed the courtyard, which was exquisite a great place to have breakfast or a pre-dinner drink. The rooms were sumptuous and bright and airy and the bathrooms were lovely.

The restaurant was nice but a little stuffy. We were dining at the same time as Annie Lennox, who was also staying there and couldn’t help feeling that everyone was seated facing her, she didn’t seem too bothered though. The staff in the restaurant were very attentive and the food was great. We pretended that we didn’t know there was a celebrity in our midst who was obviously been entertained by the glitterati of Morocco, and asked the staff who they were – we were informed they were just guests – very discreet.

The hotel was not without its problems! On our last evening we were ushered into the bar from the courtyard by a very attentive waiter as there was a traditional band playing – this was great until Annie Lennox arrived and we were made to feel by the staff that we were no-longer welcome – this was not down to Annie herself, who appeared oblivious.

We also used the hammam which is very nicely decorated; however the service was sub-standard particularly considering the price. Following a massage, my female travelling companion was left alone to get dressed, unknown to her the door was wide open and another male guest walked in – very sloppy, particularly in a country where a lot of women remain covered up!! I was left lying there not too sure if my massage had finished or not – after 10 minutes I decided it must be. I woudn't bother with this spa and would opt for one in town instead.

When it came to check-out we approached reception to be informed that we couldn’t pay with a credit card as the machine was not working. I asked what the alternative would be, I was informed that I would need to go to the ATM and get the cash!! I wonder if this would have happened to Annie Lennox, I think not. As most ATM’s have a daily limit this wouldn’t have been possible as the cost of staying at L’Heure Bleue exceeded this. We were advised to return later in the day – fortunately we had time to do this. The machine didn’t work at all, and after much arguing with the reception staff, whose response was, “well you stayed at our hotel…” they agreed to take card payments manually. We were left feeling that we were the problem. It is completely unacceptable to expect people to carry that amount of cash, we had stayed for two nights, had spa treatments and eaten in the restaurant. The hotel must have a contingency plan if, as we were informed, there are always problems with the machine! It was a shame it ended this way."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of January 2006

Beautiful property, great town, thoroughly mediocre service.

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"This is a simply beautiful hotel in a beautiful town. That's the good news. The bad news is that the service simply isn't up to scratch for the relatively premium price that the property asks for, especially in Essaouira. Not to say that it's particularly bad, but it isn't much better than a decent chain hotel (and pales in comparison to the experience you will have at a premium riad in Marrakech for the same price - think Riad Farnatchi, for example). I had a nice time here, and the room was very nice - but I can't help but think that my 300+ Euros/night would have been better spent at the Dar Mimosa, a bit out of town. Likely a 3.5/5, though the TripAdvisor system doesn't allow for half point ratings."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of November 2005

Fabulously chic

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"The service is faultless and the pool on the roof top terrace is unforgettable. I'd urge anyone considering escaping from Marrakech and visiting Essaouira to stay here - you will not be disappointed.

As other travellers, I consider that the rooms with fire place are much more pleasant as they offer a romantic atmosphere, youmay spend a full week overther without wondering what you can do...just look around and enjoy the spa, the billiard, the city, the beach and the atlas Mountains. Very good point also to consider this incredible vineyard called 'Val d'argan' at the entry of the city. The owner was 1st of all in 'Chateauneuf du Pape'!!! Very tasty!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 17th of October 2005

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

""I just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU - Mum and I had an amazing weekend, we enjoyed every moment. Everyone was so friendly and helped make it a very memorable and brilliant time. We felt very special and are the envy of all our friends whi shall come very soon. It will stay with us for ever, thanks again.""

• Travel date: Tue 20th of September 2005

Excellent. A true paradise.

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Whenever we want to go away from Marrakech we always go to this beautifil property and we can only write that everyone should do the same. try it you will not be disappointed. It is far away above all the other addresses in Essaouira."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of September 2005

For peace, seaside and gourmet addict: 2005 Conde Nast Hot list

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"Want to go somewhere different?

Do just like we did discovering an incredible 5* Hotel/Palace mix of Arabic, Andalusia and colonial Architecture at the door of The Medina of Essaouira.

Should you not remember: Orson Wells 1st and then Jimmy Hendrix helped us to discover this unique city.

Why did we go there and should like to share this great experience: looking for romantic place to escape from crowded Marrakech with good food and full comfort...

Here it is: L'Heure Bleue with its amazing pool on the rooftop terrace offering stunning view on the Old medina and the Seaside...Wonderful sunset, so romantic...

We have booked a standard room but wished to have booked a Junior suite with fireplace and bath + shower + dvd...anyway very nice design and definitely comfortable...

One of our great pleasures was the cuisine and the delicious fresh fishes so well cooked but the top of the Top was the quality of the massage to indulge after traditional hammams and body scrub...Thank you Fatima.

We did enjoy very much the discovery of the sauvage surroundings with a Quad tour and the Camel Tour on the virgin beach of Sidi Kaouki..What an experience !!!

Should go there before it's getting too famous...There is magic in this place."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of July 2005

Great Hotel

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Fantastic luxurious place.
The designs are amazing. Down to every detail.
Only the pool on the roof can be windy at times and the rooms are quite small, but the whole feeling is great. The patio area is sooo nice.
Service is excellent (which can be rare in Morocco)."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of July 2005