Suite

French Hyatt

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"I have just spent a week at the francophone version of Hyatt. Coffee is not available in your room. The Internet works but is crassly expensive at $30+ a day! or $0.80 a minute. The Fitness center is a long walk from the main lift - so a bit embarassing if you feel embarassed to walk through the public rooms in sweaty sports clothes. And there is no shop selling newspapers, in fact english language newspapers are always a day late. The only shops are Louis Vitton and a Cigar shop - not exeactly appropriate for business travellers. So there are plenty of irritations which make you wonder how the hotel gained so many stars. The good news is that the rooms are a decent size and the air-conditioning works (in the rooms but not in the passages). The staff are helpful, they try to understand english and it certainly helps to be able to speak french. If you do you will find the staff are 5 star and go out of their way to be helpful. The breakfast is as good as any in Europe and the restaurant is undoubtedly first class. My colleagues who work in Casablanca say this is the best hotel in Casablanca - so be well aware of that. In summary my stay was decent with just a few irritations - these were more than balanced by the excellent staff."

• Travel date: 6th July 2007

Quite Impressed Generally

Reviewed 15th October 2012

"Overall I was very impressed with my stay. I spent 3 nights there on a busines trip. The lobby is very impressive and the staff friendly. They seem very security conscious as there were guards everywhere. I felt secure but not intimidated at all. I ate in the lobby restaurant every day. The food was good but a little pricey if you consider the country you are in. The service was a little slow as they seem to be always busy and not enough waiters. The breakfast was also very impressive. My room was comfortable and clean with a very impressive bathroom. Unfortunately I had a problem as the air conditioning was not working. That same evening I was moved to another room that was fine. It was a bit of an inconvenience but they did send 2 members of staff to help move my clothes. The hotel is located close the port and also the old area of casablanca (Medina or Souk). This area is full of small shops selling all sorts of things. A souvenir hunters paradise. I would definitely consider staying there again as I was overall very impressed."

• Travel date: 21st May 2007

New Trendy Bar

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"The new bar called "Six PM" is nice. Great music, nice atmosphere later in evening, nice hors d'oeuvres plate at typical Hyatt price. Nice place to meet others and talk before or after going out for a meal."

• Travel date: 11th May 2007

Excellent Hotel

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"We booked at The Hyatt directly through their website for two nights. The service was faultless, the staff all so helpful. Our room which was on the 10th floor was spotless. The only downfall was, that the original room they placed us in, was directly opposite the lift, so there was constant noise, we complained, and the staff moved us with no fuss. The only problem was, the lift noise could be heard even four doors further down the corridor. We were there on the weekend of the suicide bombers, and I must say that the security efforts made by the hotel is top class. The room was spacious and with good facilities. As we were on the 10th floor, we had access to the private lounge which meant we had breakfasts, afternoon drinks and evening cocktails. All complimentary. We took advantage of the limousine service to and from the airport, again, faultless. Would highly recommend the few extra dirhams."

• Travel date: 15th April 2007

Stylish Oasis of European Chic

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"We stayed at the Hyatt Casablanca for a four night business trip. The hotel had been chosen for us because the one day conference we were attending was being held there. I used Trip Advisor to look up the Hotel (not many reviews) but after reading the reviews I was expecting something much much less than we got. The hotel is used a lot by Airline Crew, and there appeared to be a very high turn over of guests, people staying like us only a few nights. There is security on the door and in the reception area of the Hotel there is a guard. All dressed in black suits with ear pieces, very James Bond and very unobtrusive. If you don’t like having your handbag searched every time you come into the hotel, or sometimes a metal detector run over, don’t stay here. They have no attitude about it, in fact are rather apologetic, pleasant and quick. Do bear in mind there is a reason for this security, you wouldn’t expect to walk into Fendi without a doorman or two would you? This is a large Hotel (not Las Vegas large) with a lot of events going on. We had a couple of issues with our booking, but this was cleared up within seconds by the friendly and warm receptionists. Whenever we dealt with the reception they were excellent. When I say the staff are warm and friendly they are not warm and friendly like the B&B owner on your Scottish walking holiday, they are more akin to relaxed professionals who like their jobs. Your not going to get a cuddle on your departure don't panic! Guest Services, as they like to call themselves, were excellent and remembered us the next time we went in, which is always a winner with me! “The Living Room” is a beautifully designed area (the reception is to the left hand side) with low fawn brushed suede and leather sofas, black marble everywhere, oversized soft brown cushions soft Jazz and contemporary music playing through Bang and Olufsen speakers (black of course). This is a huge room split into three areas. People do business here, laptops, paper work and WIFI access. (expensive by UK prices) the staff again were welcoming and attentive, nothing is done very quickly (but never lazy or offhand) and this added a sense of an elegant unhurriedness. From a tea drinking Brits point of view, they don’t serve milk with tea so make sure you ask when you order. They seem more used to Americans than the British. On the book shelves were a couple of books on Casablanca that I wished I had more time for, nice touch I felt. People were wearing everything from Jeans to tailored suits, this is a place of style not necessarily high fashion although there were expensive Jeans about. We didn’t frequent the area used for breakfast, which was a shame as it was a fantastic design. We did use room service and that was as expected for a 5* hotel. On time, hot food served well, polite staff. I used the Spa, well, it was very stressful... When I booked the gentleman who I spoke to spoke English, but when I got there nobody spoke English and my French is menu French only, if that. They were nice enough but I would like to have asked a few things. Great price against UK prices :) Watch out ladies, they reach the parts UK masseurs don’t, from shoulders to tummy in one swoop, most unexpected. The swimming pool was closed so we didn’t use that or the Gym for that matter which looked good from a distance, best way to view Gyms if you ask me. If you do stay in the Hotel to dine, try the traditional Moroccan restaurant. The staff are lovely, we ate there every night, to tired to wonder far from the bedroom. The menus supported this very well :) The restaurant has live music and belly dancers, which pleased Husband very much. The warmer we were with the staff the warmer they were with us… nice people. Moroccans eat there, which is always a good sign I feel. The food was fantastic, very expensive by local standards but middle London prices I would say for Brits. Get a table towards the back on the left or back centre to the musicians you will have a better view of the Dancers. The house keeping staff were efficient also thorough with their work. Always polite with smiles and a hello if we met them. Bear in mind the average wage in Morocco is around £60 a month, so leaving your lose change if your not going back to Morocco could make some ones day, and that’s nice thing. The bedroom it’s self was well designed, the bed comfortable and the linen some of the best I have slept on. They have CNN, BBC news and sports channels in English, a few others to but those covered our needs. Everything worked was clean and up to date. :) Nice big hanging space, good mirrors in the bathroom and in the dressing area. Shower was “fun sized” ;) Yes I would agree that this feels like a Hotel for business, it feels a little austere when you first walk in, with the guards at the entrance and all the black marble and space. If you get a little deeper in, you will find something welcoming, efficient, stylish (of which all that black marble is a very important part I might add) and even warm. Would I take my kids there, yes if they were in their 20’s. Would I stay there on business again, without doubt… The least I would do is visit the Traditional Moroccan restaurant again...."

• Travel date: 1st April 2007

Luxury Hotel but cold welcoming

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"During my 2006 business trips in Casablanca and before I discovered Le Meridien Royal Mansour, I stayed in this Hotel. It has all luxury facilities you can expect from Hyatt. All in very good quality and brand new. Rooms are incredibly spacious, one of my best experience on that point. Facilities are good, the swimming pool is closed during "winter" but not really an issue for me. Spa is convenient, nothing exceptionnal. Restaurants are expensive but high quality and there is a night club for those who are looking for nightlife. Only default is the very poor reception and non welcoming staff, smiling is not in the job description and the dozen guards at the entrance don't give you the feeling you are in a safe environment. If you go for Luxury and / business, it is a good solution, for hoidays ? Go to Le Meridien Royal Mansour."

• Travel date: 7th November 2006

Needs better management....

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"This is a very strange hotel. On first glance it looks fabulous. A lot of money and thought went into creating a very unique aesthetic in the public areas and to a lesser degree in the rooms. But don't look too closely! Housekeeping and general upkeep are a huge problem. None of the brass on the doors or elevators are ever cleaned/shined, there is dust and dirt on the door sills and along the baseboards. We stayed on the Regency Club floor and frankly the Club room was the worst I've ever seen. It happened to be Ramadan when we were there. The first night they had a full alcohol bar, the second night - NOTHING! When we inquired we were told that there was no alcohol because of Ramadan but foreigners could ask for drinks and they would get them. Great but.... a. The night before there was a full bar (oops apparently it was for a photo shoot) b. I never once saw somebody sitting at the desk in the Club c. There was no notice to guests of what services not to expect in the hotel during Ramadan. We asked about the traditional Morrocan restaurant and were told it had live music and bellydancing. We made a reservation - earliest time was 9pm after Iftar. Ok we stayed awake that late preparing ourselves for a little bit of Moroccan culture. Well there was music but no bellydancing (not allowed during Ramadan). Ok but why not say that ? Plus the food was nothing special. The Living Room was a nice place to hang out for drinks and the bar menu was great for a light meals. Service was very uneven with some delightful staff members and some just completely clueless. There aren't many alternatives so we will probably stay here again but it's a shame because with better management it could be a fun hotel."

• Travel date: 23rd October 2006

Don't be abused by the name

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"I spend two nights in this hotel with a friend. We had to visit 5 different rooms in two hours before we had the chance of having a good one. the first one was cold and the heating system was not working. The second was noisy the third and forth had a strong odor of moisture. Finaly the fith one was ok. The bed was confortable and the bathroom was clean and had a large shower and a small bath. The reception desk is terribly slow. For the chek in I had to wait for about 10mn before having keys. And for the check out I had to stay for about 20 mn. The lobby bar has been recently renovated and has a modern asiatic style. The other bar, "the casablanca" is also charming. The restaurant has a nice terrasse and the food was good. But the service was also very slow. Something you should know is that 3 days after aid (holy day) alcohol is prohibited for muslims. I am not muslim but i have a north african type. So each time i wanted a beer or a glass of champagne, I had to negociate with the server and his manager in order to prove that i'm not muslim. In conclusion this hotel has certainly not the hyatt standard. I'm wondering how a high level brand name like hyatt can license an average hotel like this one. For a night at 150 euros (without breakfast which is at 18 euros!!!) you deserve better."

• Travel date: 9th November 2005

Disappointing

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"Though the location was convenient, everything else about this hotel was average, at best. The rooms were anonymous and could have been any 3 star hotel in any US city. What was most disappointing was the service. The staff was very inhospitable, unhelpful and condescending. For $270 per night, this was a poor choice."

• Travel date: 13th June 2005

Good central choice

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"A pleasant hotel right in the centre of Casablanca, which seemed to be in better condition than those on the Corniche. Be sure to check out the traditional Moroccan restaurant where well-heeled Casablancans often enjoy live music and entertainment. You might want to ask for a room facing away from the Medina which can be noisy."

• Travel date: 16th March 2005