Nice hotel on the beach

Reviewed Wed 17th of October 2012

"My friends and I stayed at the Hotel Club Val D'Anfa on the last night of our trip to Morocco. After an initial bad impression made by the unfriendly person working reception upon our arrival, the remainder of the stay was great.

The hotel is comprised of two buildings. Our rooms were in the newer section. The rooms were extremely clean and modern. Although we did not have ocean-front rooms, both of our rooms had ocean views. We had one room on the outer-side of the building and one room on the inner-
side of the building (the inner-side room had a much better view).

The hotel is only a short cab ride from the very impressive Hassan II Mosque.

Other than the unpleasant woman we met on arrival, the other staff we encountered were friendly and tremendously helpful. Royal Air Maroc had misplaced my luggage and the hotel staff was great in repeatedly calling the airline until my bag was located.

The included breakfast buffet was very basic, but adequate. Basmane, the hotel’s restaurant located around the corner, was a nice choice for dinner."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of February 2008

Terrible, more than terrible!

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Such a bad experience, never again! I have never seen such a bad hotel.. Just take a look at the photos that I was loaded and decide. If it looks to you as a four star hotel (it is stated so), then nothing to say..
The staff is unbelievably rude and their English is so poor. I was not expecting much, but I was not expecting that conditions with paying so much..
Really terrible, do not go there.."

• Travel date: Fri 18th of January 2008

Great Staff

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights before going to Marrakech and stayed a further night before returning to France. The staff were very friendly and helpful and could switch to Engish when our French failed us. My wife left her glasses in a taxi and, when we explained our prediciment at the front desk, the restaurant manager insisted on taking us to the eye hospital and the optician on a Saturday afternoon so that we could obtain a prescription and replacement glasses. An enjoyable break amongst a friendly nation and in a decent hotel. We will go again."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of November 2007

Probably the best hotel in Casablanca

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"After having worked in Morocco for short periods during the last four years I have finally found my favourite hotel. Club Val d'Anfa offers everything I need to relax after a day at the office in downtown Casa. Friendly service, a wonderful view over the ocean, fast Internet (cable), excellent food in three different restaurants, clean and comfortable rooms in the new wing... Sorry, I can't find anything to complain about. I will certainly return to Club Val d'Anfa during my next mission!"

• Travel date: Sat 6th of October 2007

Excellent choice

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I stayed there for 6 nights in September and couldn't have been more pleased. I have stayed in many hotels in Casablanca, including the Royal Mansour and the Hyatt, and I must say that the excellent service (particularly Abdel, the doorman), the terrific location facing the beach (and away from the terrible air and noise pollution of central Casa), the cleanliness of the rooms and large impeccable marble bathrooms, make for a superior choice. Just make sure to stay in the new wing, which is quiet, and where some of the rooms have terrific unobstructed views of the beach and the sunset. Very good , pleasant buffet breakfast by the pool. Also, free internet in the small business center. Keep also in mind that the ubiquitous Petit Taxis can whisk you downtown in about 15 minutes, for the equivalent of about $2.50."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of September 2007

Good Hotel in a great location

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We stayed here for four nights as part of a large group attending a local wedding. The rooms in the new wing are large and well appointed, blackout curtains and double glazed patio doors so very little disturbance. Marble tiled bathroom with good power shower. TV with satellite, though only English speaking channel is CNN. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful, although they mostly speak Arabic and French, with very little English. Reception and check in was very efficient, changed money at a good rate, doorman was always cheerful and offered to get a taxi if we needed it. Lovely terrace and swimming pool and good views of the beach. Rooms in the older wing are darker and more traditionally Moroccan - intricate painted wood but still very comfortable. Service could be very slow (1.5hrs from ordering to being served lasagne) but 'Moroccan Time' is a concept that is countrywide, not just in this hotel! We would recommend anyone to stay here, it is absolutely comparable to any 4 star hotel we have stayed in."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of July 2007

A very pleasant stay

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We discovered this hotel through Internet, and wanted to try it, as it was the first time we go to Casablanca.
At our arrival, we were very happy to notice that, in addition to its wonderful location on the beach, the hotel had this so particular Moroccan touch that remains the country and its history.
This was confirmed when, at the reception, we were received as if we were the unique guests of that wonderful place. Hospitality of Moroccans, we are convinced, is not only a legend.

The Lady at the reception suggested that we try their new building, called in French “Nouvelle aile” at no additional cost, and we really thank her for that.
The room and decoration were simply marvellous. They used a kind of calligraphy we had never seen before to decor almost everything. They explained to us afterwards that it was Berber calligraphy, called in Berber “Tifinagh”
View on the sea from our room was relaxing, and on the second day, we asked to be served breakfast on our terrace. A great pleasure.

By night, the atmosphere is completely different. If you go there, and we invite you strongly to do so, never miss the Moroccan restaurant of the hotel with its belly dancers and oriental flavours.

Each time we will go to Casablanca, this hotel will be our destination, and yours hopefully"

• Travel date: Sat 30th of June 2007

Do Not Stay At This Hotel!!!!

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"I don't even know where to start with this review. Let me start by saying that I echo everything written by lrobinson in his/her review. We obviously stayed there just a couple of days apart and got the same treatment.

We arrived at the hotel and met 2 girls (it would sound like the same 2 girls mentioned in the previous review) at the reception. I gave them my name and then I had to stand there for 15 minutes whilst they chatted amongst themselves. They did not tell me what was going on and it was the last thing i needed after a train ride from Marrakech. Eventually I lost my temper and they then explained that they did not have a double room for us but would "upgrade" us to a juniour suite. Don't get excited - I am getting to the rooms!

The suite was terrible. How this was considered a suite I don't know and to think people would pay upwards of £80 for it. I was horrified. It was grey, shabby and just plain dirty. The was only one set of towels. There was a pullout cot in the room also, I guess to sleep a third person. The next morning when we went for breakfast, the food was ok.

This hotel was just awful and to top it off the service was the worst I had ever experienced and I travel enough. There was no information given to us by the dynamic duo at reception when we checked in, so we had no idea where anything was or what services were available. In the room, there was no information there either. The hotel booklet which customarily carries this kind of information was empty. And to add insult to injury they try and rip you off!!! If for some reason this is the only hotel available during your stay and you have to stay here - for goodness sake stay away from their minibar - I was charged £5 for a stale bag of rice crackers.

I think I could go on but I think I will stop now as hopefully I have got the message across."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of March 2007

terrible service, smells like a sewer

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"We stayed in this hotel 2 times during our recent trip to Morocco- our first night, and our last night in the country to fly in and out of Casa.

After our first unfortunate visit, we decided to keep our reservation for our last night based on our thinking that maybe they were having an "off" night and perhaps the staff was in a bad mood. Well, no. Because on our last night they were still rude, condescending and unfriendly. The 2 girls at the front desk were so snobbish and totally unhelpful- we had to ask questions to get any information from them on the basic services of the hotel- where our room was, where breakfast was served, etc. No information was offered upon check in.

Each time we talked with them about directions, wakeup calls, taxis- anything!- they were smug and made us feel like complete idiots. I finally ended up complaining and voicing our disapproval to the hotel, but to no avail. They did nothing and the manager didn't even call our room to talk with us as we requested.

Our room smelled like a sewer on that last night (it seemed to be coming from the drain in the sink and shower), the AC didn't work and both times we stayed there we had to ask for towels because housekeeping had only left washcloths and 1 hand towel.

We will never stay there again and strongly discourage anyone else from staying there."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of February 2007

Friendly staff

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"We stayed here during the christmas holidays 2005. We had a pleasant stay and I must say the staff were absolutely marvellous. The made us feel very welcome indeed and could not be more accomodating for our baby. Although not all staff had a good level of English, we never found it a problem communicating as the were some good English speaking staff to help with any translation that may have been needed. If you can speak French then you'll have no problem.

The rooms were clean but a bit basic for a 4* hotel, but everything was fully functioning in the rooms. The rest of the hotel was definately 4*. There was a wide choice for breakfast and freshly squeezed orange juice every morning, which was delicious.They have a pool and the hotel backs onto the beach. The hotel has it's own restaurant and the food was nice, but there is a restaurant right next to the hotel called Le Basmane and the food was out of this world and they also had entertainment in the form of musicians and belly dancers. The staff were welcoming and even made up a little sleeping area for our son who couldn't stay awake long enough to enjoy dinner. It was a great holiday overall and would recommend this hotel to any type of person including families, people on business and couples on so on!"

• Travel date: Fri 29th of September 2006