Never Again!

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from the LTI AL MADINA HOTEL AGADIR for our annual Easter holiday. Having read previous trip advisor reviews and also receving notification from the tour opertater two weeks before departure regarding building works near to the hotel I was greatly concerned about this vacation. We had read about the various noise issues in the various blocks. When we arrived we had a room in block one. Side sea view but the direct view was of another hotel but what would you expect in a holiday resort! The hotel room had a balcony but infact the balcony is what you would call a french balcony (you cannot sit outside of your room just look out of the window) The room was very large however it was also very dated, nylon sheets on the beds, old and dirty mats on the floor, dirty bedspreads,old and worn bathroom towels (not what i was expecting from a so called 4 star plus hotel) The bathroom again was very large but the taps were rusty all the tiles dirty the hot water came out of the pipes brown( i usually enjoy having a relaxing bath on holiday but decided on this occasion to give it a miss) and also we had to inform the reception in a morning when wanting a shower to turn the water for the room on has they were saving water consumption!!!!! Air conditioning still waiting for it to work!!!! Conumal areas fantastic, pool area very tranquil all sunbeds etc free. Several bars to chose from but watch out for the over charging we caught them out twice. Food options excellent a la carte, 3 restauarants and a buffet fantastic choice. The English Bar all day and all night TV for all spotrs enthusiats out there. Regratably i became ill whilst out there ,two days in the dirty old bedspread for me probably the brown water from the taps. Other people were also feeling under the weather. MONEY Take just sterling the rate is excellent £15.36 for 1 Dirham. Dont bother with Travellers cheques the rate is very poor no matter what your tour operater advises. Agadir itself will in a few years be like mainland Spain all built up with lots of english bars,english food, etc so go now before that happens but just dont stay in tha LTI AL AL MADINA. We just made the wrong choice of accomodation. Morocconj people very friendly but there favourite phrase there is a market only here 1 day per month would you like to go? I have no doubt they probably get commision from the stall owners for bringing people to their shops. We have been to Tunisia on several occasions and knew that 4 star plus was not going to be the same as europeon standard hotels, however i just expected more that brown hot water and dirty old mats!!! We viewed several rooms alas all the same standard, i could not wait to come home to rainy Britain."

• Travel date: 30th April 2006

A good hotel..don't worry!!

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"We were quite worried before we went to this hotel because of the mixed reviews but we were pleasantly suprised. We had been to North Africa before and knew what to expect, alot of places are developing, it is not like a European destination and as long as people undertand that, they will be fine. There is a building site near the hotel which can be noisy during the day which we had read about on trip advisor. We phoned up the hotel before we went and asked for rooms away from the building site (we were in the 500's) and we had no problem with noise but we could imagine if your room overlooked it, it could be problematic. The hotel is lovely, the staff are very friendly and the other holiday makers there were great, unlike a previous review suggested. We met up with some other people from other hotels including Odyssey Park and it seemed like we had the best deal. The food is fine, we didn't go expecting wonderful meals because of previous experiences in Africa, but there was always something to eat and the BBQ night in the buffet was the best night. The breakfast spread is also good. The Mexican restuarant is tasty and La Grappa, the italian was a nice change from the Buffet. Went to the English pub a few times for lunch, wasnt too impressed, why do people insist on english pubs abroad??!! The resort of Agadir isn't wonderful and there isn't masses to do, the Souke is worth a visit though. We went on an overnight trip to Marrakech which was a nice change and we got to see some "real" Morocco. I would return to Al Madina Palace but I have the feeling Agadir may be runied by the typical tacky British tourists within the next few years. However, it is worth a visit to see Morocco."

• Travel date: 14th April 2006

You get what you paid for! I enjoyed it

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"I booked this hotel as a last minute deal and you get what you pay for! I thought the hotel was lovely, although as others have stated it is not a 4* hotel by european standards, but it was clean, and the staff were extremely friendly, but not in your face friendly. Granted there is alot of building work going on in Agadir, but it is an up and coming resort so what do you expect??? the only noise you would have encountered at the hotel, was if you were staying in a room with a balcony (i wasn't and as a light sleeper i slept like a log for the entire week)The hotel is perfect if you just want to chill by the pool and spend a couple of days exploring Marrakech and other cultural places of interest."

• Travel date: 7th April 2006

Agadir Warning

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COSTS!!! If you have already booked then I would recommend you cancel immediately. The hotel is currently located directly opposite a building site. The noise starts around 7am and there is no respite until 8pm. In fact the noise can be heard not only in the entire hotel, but also along the whole beachfront - there is no escape... The hotel has a nicely laid out pool area and the staff are friendly and welcoming. Unfortunately though, the hotel is largely occupied by tattooed, lower class, pale skinned northern Europeans of the Anglo-German kind. Our room was located directly in front of the construction site and the main road, which is busy until around 1am. We also had to contend with the English Pub - the din from which went on well into the night. The food in the hotel's 5 restaurants was nothing special. In general I would say give Agadir a miss! We went back to Marrakech after just one night in Agadir, having booked for 5. If you want real culture and relaxation I would definitely avoid. If you want a cheap and cheery beach resort then you are better off going to the Costa del Sol."

• Travel date: 4th April 2006

Very good all round

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"We really enjoyed our stay at Al Madina Palace. The rooms were cleaned properly and regularly. All staff we came into contact with, including reception, pool attendents, restaurant and cleaners, were very helpful. Food was excellent in quality and variety. One criticism is the prices in the bar. I would not be surprised to find prices in the hotel above some of the bars in town but you can get a beer along the seafront for about a quarter the price. There was a small amount of work being carried out on the unfinished buildings between the hotel and the sea. The resort is safe with very little hassle and none of it serious."

• Travel date: 21st March 2006

It's alright - honest!!

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"Having read a few reviews about this hotel after I booked my holiday to Agadir, i did scratch my head a bit - i wondered how it was possible to get such wildly different experiences at the same place. However, having just spent a week there I'm happy to lay peoples fears to rest - this place is absolutely fine as long as you are not expecting Eurpoean standard 5 star (it is Morocco, come on!). Our room was huge (get a junior suite, they're fab) and as clean as a whistle, it looked out onto the sea (via the main street, but the noise was minimal), and the staff were as friendly as can be. On the downside, the food looked a bit ropey, although we only booked B&B so can't really comment - restaurants nearby were great (particularly La Scala and Au Dauphin Bleu). Pool area was great, bar was ok (entertainment more suited to your 60+ crowd but hey!) and the facilities are all great. Without going on all day, as long as your expectation levels aren't sky high this place is just fine as a base to see Agadir and the surrounding area. If you want full on Western luxury, get your hand in your pocket and go somewhere else - with all things, you get what you pay for. This place offers great value for money and I'd recommend it to anyone that wants to stay in a decent hotlel without breaking the bank."

• Travel date: 13th March 2006

Great value for money !!!

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"The only reason I went to Morocco was for the nice winter weather and cheap deals. I had very low expectations since the price was so low as well ! I could not imagine a 5 star hotel for less than £50 a night including dinner to be any good. Well, I was wrong. Al Madina Palace is a very nice hotel in Morrocan style. The service is very friendly, the location excellent since it's right next to the beach. The hotel got 2 pools, a gym and beauty centre and a couple of restaurants. There's live music every night (well, not my taste, but better than nothing I guess) and I love the pool. My room was nice, quiet large since I was alone, nice decor, nice terrasse. It was situation with a view on the boulevard, so it was noisy, but since I never got any sleeping problems, I did not bother me a bit. However, for people with sleeping problems, they should request rooms in other blocks . To my surprise, the food was rather good as well. A large buffet for breakfast and dinner with lots of choice - in the morning they make you fresh pancakes and omelettes. Very nice ! Besides this, the good thing about booking half board is that you are not stuck in the hotel. They give you vouchers for a couple of restaurants where you have a choice of set meals, so this is also where you can have your half boad meal instead of the hotel. Just great ! I especially liked the Johara restaurant. Beautiful interiour, great service and food. I was very impressed. I also went to the Mexican one - very big restaurant , nice decor , nice food too (although a bit more simple). The italian one was next to English Pub and was not spectacular, but anyway, what do you want for the price. I don't understand how people could complain about this hotel - first look at the price !! You can never compare a 5star in Europe to a 5star in North Africa. Besides that. 5 stars in Europe you easily pay £200 a night ! So people who complain should not stay in cheaply priced hotels. I have stayed in many top hotels in Europe and not so fussy like some of those in the other reviews perhaps. Also, go for a massage in the hotel - it's only about £8 for a full body massage (they give you discount vouchers at reception) and there's a nice gym with Aerobics classes for a £ 1 . Agadir is not a beautiful place, it's just a boulevard with palm trees, shops, restaurants and bars and local people don't stop bothering you - they try to sell you anything and are a bunch of rats, so be prepared ! (always barter and try to ignore them most of the time, otherwise they try to get your money ! ) The beach is great and the hotel has got a private beach, called Palm Beach, about 3 minute walk to the left. You can rent a sunbed all day long for about £ 0.50 (and yes, even for that the hotel gives you discount vouchers) and you get served fresh drinks if you like. Pure bliss Go ahead, I would recommend the Al Madina Palace hotel if you set the right expecations and have not got much cash to spend. I will certainly go back again for a warm winter break. Enjoy !"

• Travel date: 10th March 2006

This hotel has an official rating of a 5...

Reviewed 8th March 2006

"This hotel has an official rating of a 5* and states a 4*plus. I would say this should be a 3* at the most. The hotel has a lot of problems with noise if your rooms is over the main road, we were moved 4 times in three days. Due to first the road noise then they upgraded us to a suite however they didn’t say we would be awake until past 4am with Moroccan music, then woke up again at 7am with them praying! Then we went on to no hot water, no telly working, no heating. That was it with the rooms. The pool well the guys here are great and very helpful in getting you a bed and towels there really is no need at all to save beds they will always find you one. Now take care when getting in the pool if you can stand the cold water! There is a slope that leads into the pool it is very, very slippery and many people slipped down this. It is quite cold in the evenings. There is no entertainment other than a man on a piano in the one and only bar area, there are a few bars outside that I never went to as most guests said that the drinks were very expensive. We did go to the English bar for lunch and it is cheep and quite good food. The food on sale around the pool most of the time was cold by the time you got it. And the food in the restarant in the evening really was not good, most things are swimming in oil, the bread was stale, and we were advised not to eat the salad as they wash this in the tap water. This leaves very little to eat, also there were cats walking around the restaurant. There are other restaurants that they say you can eat in however these are not in the hotel they are outside and when we spoke to other guests you have to eat the set menu and again we heard of at least 5 guests being ill after eating there. The staff are very nice in the hotel and really helpful however the porters became a bloody pain! They will try so had to carry bags and expect a tip all the time so beware. Some people were ripped off by the locals being told thing to get money from them, one lady was told by a man just outside the hotel all dressed in a suit that he was the hotel manager and was going off to get some spices for the hotel and would she like to go along, she fell for this and to cut a long story short they took £40 from her. Just think would you go anywhere in London or your home town with a man you never knew and if you say no then don’t ****** do it in a strange country for God sake think use your brain first!!! Beware there are lots of steps and no lifts. To be honest if you are looking to relax in a nice hotel with nice food and beaches don't come here!! The beach made Southend on Sea look top class and hospital food even better. x"

• Travel date: 8th March 2006

Hotel is officially rated 5* but we rate...

Reviewed 23rd January 2006

"Hotel is officially rated 5* but we rate low 4* Very good value but even the buffet dinners don't seem much different after a few days! Beware the re-cycled jacket potatoes. Constant loud music by pool. Pool is very good with excellent towel and bed services. Ask the attendant if you would like the pool heated - we did! Restaurant allocates approx 80% to smoking, much of which is right next to the buffet serving area. This often spoilt our dining pleasure. Choice of other on-site restaurants is a bonus but the voucher and pre-booking system was very vague. Hotel very clean and close to main shopping area."

• Travel date: 23rd January 2006

Great place to spend the New Year

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"Don't believe the doom merchants that have given this hotel a slating - it's not like that at all! We contacted the hotel prior to our holiday as we were so concerned about some of the reports on this website, but all our fears were misplaced. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful, the bed linen and towels were clean and not threadbare as some have said, the pool area was very relaxing and the accomodation had retained some Moroccan charm (unlike some of the other hotels I could name in this resort!). If you want the quietest part of the hotel, ask to be put in block 5, failing that block 4, otherwise it is likely you will be facing the road. The food is also very good at the wide choice of restaurants available within the hotel complex. Yes, granted, it isn't perfect but then if you want perfection you should pay double and book yourself into a 5 star hotel instead of a 4 star hotel!"

• Travel date: 21st January 2006

Good fun for Christmas

Reviewed 15th October 2012

"A good place to stay, central for the few attractions of Agadir. Our 2 children ages 6 and 4 loved the hotel and the staff were fantastic with them. As a family, we were treated with the utmost courtesy and politeness from all staff from the maids, reception, waiters and the poolside attendants. We were there for Christmas and the food during this period was excellent. Would I return - yes."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2006

Lovely place to stay

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"The reception and all the staff were excellent, friendly and accomodating. The hotel and pool area had a charming Morrocan character to it plus some lovely green areas, pomegranite trees etc. The food was first class with a huge choice at breakfast and dinner, you could also choose to eat at their other themed restaurants if you wished, we didn't because we found the main restaurant so good. The waiters were also careing and friendly. The room was large and clean although the sea view did look out over a deserted building site as well as the sea. We had one problem with a stuck plug which was fixed immediately, my only complaint would be the towels were well past their best as were some of the fixtures. There was entertainment every night which was usually a singer/keyboard player plus they did a Morrocan night at dinner. The resort was far better than expected from the Lonley Planet guide, with quiet bars and restaurants often with music. I would definately recommend it if you want to escape the usual 'Brits abroad' mob it felt a very safe area plus you got very little hassle from the locals. Another big bonus for us was you could walk along the fantastic beach to the Sousse estuary national park which had a large range of migrating and exotic birds, falamingos, ibis, eagles, etc. The hotel was not 5 star by european standards but then we wern't in europe !! we loved it."

• Travel date: 26th November 2005

Hotels near Ryad Mogador Al Madina

Ryad Mogador Al Madina is also called

• LTI Al Madina Palace Hotel
  • lti al madina palace
  • lti al madina palace agadir