Good

Paradise Lost...

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"Recently, some friends and I took a road trip. At the end of a very long day of driving we arrived at the Atlas Kasbah. Despite our late arrival, the owners were kind enough to hold our delicious meals for us (as well as the staff!). The only bad thing that I can say about this place is that I did not get to spend more time there! It was an oasis in the night, and a truly magical place to wake up to. Beautiful location, excellent food, superb service...the list goes on. It is run by an extremely kind couple who went above and beyond to accommodate us. There are not enough positive things that I can say about the Atlas Kasbah. This is truly... Paradise Lost."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of January 2010

Cookery course at Atlas Kasbah. Trip booked from a cruise ship

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"I visited the Atlas Kasbah on an organised trip from the cruise ship Island Escape. It was the first week of the ship doing this trip so we were very much 'guinea pigs'. It was advertised as a half day trip to experience Moroccan cookery. It was a wonderful trip and we were made very welcome from the very first minute we arrived until we sadly departed after having the best cookery lesson in my life. It was very much 'hands on' cooking and after having prepared the three course meal we had about half an hour to relax in the wonderful grounds of the kasbah before eating and enjoying the fruits of our labours. I would definately recommend this trip to anyone who enjoys cooking and good hospitality. The kasbah was spotlessly clean and so peaceful. All the staff we met were very friendly and helpful. I will definately be booking a holiday at the Atlas Kasbah in the very near future."

• Travel date: Tue 29th of December 2009

Bliss in the Mountains, a hotel with heart!!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Just got back from a 4 day break at the Atlas Kasbah!! This is an incredibly beautiful place far from the madding crowd.....and thats exactly what we wanted. We didnt want the tourists, the chain hotels, the hassle.

What we found were a couple who had worked hard for their dream and created an amazing oasis in the 'desert'. Helen and Hassan, live on site with their beautiful children. Nothing is too much trouble for them. Their hearts are in all they do.

They built the place from scratch and have provided eco friendly sources of energy and organic food as part of their ethical service. They have also provided jobs for the local Berber people.

My husband and i stayed in a room built into one of the turrets. It was gorgeous. The view from the window was breathtaking.

I cannot fault the place at all.

Check out this video

If you want a place to relax or a base from which to explore Morocco, then this is your ideal venue.

Jac and Chase, Liverpool. (who will definitely be going back) xoxo"

• Travel date: Sat 12th of December 2009

Friendly, relaxing guesthouse with good food in scenic rural setting. Perfect to chill out and as base for exploring

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"I booked a late November ticket to Agadir from Dublin, Ireland, to see some sunny, blue skies and to set me up for the winter. Looking for a place to stay, I wanted something small with personality where I could just chill out. I wanted real Moroccan food, and travelling on my own I also wanted a place where I could feel really comfortable and not hassled. It had to be close to Agadir and the airport, but I didn't particularly want the beach scene.
In Atlas Kasbah I found exactly what I wanted. A family run guest house in the quiet countryside, but only 20 minutes from the airport and from Agadir itself. Many different types of activities easily available for when I'd had enough of doing nothing. As an added bonus it's eco friendly, and the owners Hassan (Moroccan) and Helen (French) have a true passion for sustainable development and tourism. After I found the kasbah on the web, Helen and I e-mailed back and forth a few times (both Helen and Hassan have very good English), and in the end I booked a few nights' stay + dinner, leaving the last couple of nights open. I thought I'd use Atlas Kasbah as my base, do a few things in the area, and then move to a hotel in Agadir for the last couple of days. As it turned out, I never moved very far!
Most of the time I was just sitting around with my book and my coffee, moving with the sun between the terraces, the pool side (not heated) and the salon - sometimes chatting to other guests or the staff, or scratching one of the cats. Admittedly, I did
move a few times: I had a beautiful hamam scrub and massage in Agadir (nice place organised by Hassan), and spent some time in Agadir itself that day. I did a Moroccan cookery class at the kasbah, where we prepared a three course meal and then had it all for lunch (these classes are open also to non-residents). And one day, Hassan took me and a couple of other guests for a walk to the local Berber village. I would have liked to see the women's argan oil cooperative, but they were on holidays that day. And maybe that's not so bad – it gives me a perfect reason to return, doesn't it? Towards the end of my stay, I moved further up the mountains towards Taroudant, where I stayed one night at an equally pleasant but very different guest house, suggested by Helene (I never made it to the beach hotel in Agadir).
Overall, Hassan and Helen couldn't have been more helpful - they picked me up at the airport and organised a driver wherever I wanted to go. I left with a feeling that whatever I came up with they would have found a solution. So I really got what I wanted – a very relaxing stay in a Moroccan fortress. Simple design but spacious room, spotlessly clean, and with extra blankets for Moroccan December nights. Security grills on all windows, and reminders of the Berber culture throughout the property.
Great Moroccan meals, sometimes with a European twist, prepared by the Berber chef. This time, I spent much time just re-charging in the sun. Next time, I'll do more exploring of the area. Will I go back? I certainly hope so! Do I recommend it to a friend? Oh yes! Anybody who might not like it? Well... If the bar, disco and party scene is important, you'll find Atlas Kasbah very quiet. And if you really appreciate the facilities and style of large hotel chains, Atlas Kasbah might not be in your taste. Also, there are stairs up to the bedrooms, and I don't think there is any lift."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of December 2009

Relaxing near busy Agadir

Good
Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"The Atlas Kasbah offers spacious rooms and great service some 20min out of Agadir. Rigth in the middle of a nature reserve, it has quite magnificent surroundings, very different from the big and busy resorts in Agadir. The Atlas Kasbah is an ecolodge and it offers a bit of an insight into the Berber culture. A pleasant and relaxing place, in an astonishing location."

• Travel date: Thu 10th of September 2009