Worry no more!

Reviewed Fri 13th of June 2014

"Me and the wife decided to take a quick short break and booked a week at the Kenzi, we then read the reviews on this hotel and started to worry a little.

All I can now say having returned this morning is NEVER base your decision on the poor reviews people write. We found the hotel to be fantastic, one of the cleanest hotels we have ever stayed in, the food was good, plenty to choose from and all of good quality, it did seem a little repetitive if you wanted to eat the standard/ safe food, I.e. Chips, pasta, fried fish etc but they were offering varied meat dishes cooked in a traditional style.

We did not travel with children but the hotel caters for them very well, the grounds are kept immaculate and the pool is cleaned for about 2 hours EVERY morning. The slides keeps them (and the adults) entertained and the animation team are not pushy or irritating and kept the music around the pool to a reasonable level.

I can say that the hotel has gone through a major renovation recently and this may be painting a new picture, but if the hotel staff continue to work has hard as we witnessed then this hotel will maintain a very high standard and level of cleanliness (the public toilet areas are exceptionally clean and would even put English ones to shame)

The rooms are clean and fresh, the house keepers clean your room every day and are very friendly

I would strongly advise this as a great hotel to take a holiday. It is obvious that this is a French bias hotel (I believe that it is owned by a French person ) but this is an international hotel and if you do not relish the fact of sitting at a bar surrounded by a multi national group, then perhaps a holiday in your own country would suit better.

I may not of put this across in the best way, but I can say that I am looking to book another stay in August and this time I will be taking my teenage children with me, and to me the best review I can give the hotel is to return.

Well done to all at the Kenzi great job and hope to return in a couple of months. "

• Travel date: Fri 13th of June 2014

Lost 2 lbs this week!

Reviewed Wed 2nd of February 2011

"Very tired hotel with tired staff but clean enough.
However, the food was terrible and luke warm, the bar was poor as their idea of a cocktail was adding bitter lemon to gin. But I did loose 2lbs in weight over the weeks stay so that was a plus. The chef who cooked the pancakes used his fingers to serve them to guests and while cooking a pizza tested it with his fingers and then licked them. But I wasn't ill just a bit hungery!!
Most of the guests were retired people and not really fit enough for buffet style meals. The entertainment was quite good and much better than the average hotel. If your thinking of visiting this hotel I'd think again!!!

• Travel date: Tue 1st of February 2011

Will I get in????

Reviewed Thu 16th of September 2010

"We arrived at the kenzi europa to find the hotel was fully booked ( we booked on 01/02/2010 and arrived on 06/09/2010 )we were shipped out to another hotel and spent 2 days trying to get a like for like hotel 3 rooms and two hotel later we got the beach club hotel - its great.we spoke to a lot of british tourists there and all bar none had been booked into the kenzi europa but had been shipped out to other hotels!!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 15th of September 2010

Need a strong constitution

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"Kenzi Europa first 2 weeks of Nov 2007, all inclusive.

Hotel Negative:

Many people. myself included, contracted a gut infection.
Some of the bar staff seem to resent serving all inclusive guests, lack of opportunity for tips I presume.
To a lesser extent this also occurred in the restaurant.
Pool is small, sun-loungers get congested.
Smokers rule, difficult to escape even in the restaurant.

Hotel Positive:

Generous room size.
Room spotless, towels changed daily, sheets 4 times in 14 days.
Hotel in good decor, kept clean, nice gardens plenty of room to spread out on sun loungers.
All inclusive covers everything except branded imported drinks, Gordons, Pernod etc. Also includes bottled water,
Food is plentiful & good quality, but. do not expect English food as the norm.
Evening entertainment rotates on a weekly basis, tolerable to very good.
No shortage of staff.
Location is excellent, short walk to beach/promenade, choice of bars & restaurants.
Chemist attached to the hotel. advice is free drugs are cheap!

Agadir Negative:

It's a resort, if you want to experience the country you need to venture further afield.
Quite a lot of low cloud/sea fret overnight, early morning, traps in vehicle pollution.

Agadir Positive:

Clean very large sandy beach.
Similarly clean & attractive promenade.
Stylish Marina.
Cheap Taxis
Cheap Excursions, turn left out the front of the hotel for the nearest trip office.
Less than half the price the tour operators like TUI, Neckermann etc.
We did Essaouria & overnight in Marrakech for £25/person, plus meals.
Not many mosquitos.

Morrocco Negative:

Baksheesh is expected, most people assume you are wealthy & some can be an irritant.
Expect to pay 10 dirhams/ 1 Euro to photograph the snake charmer.
Can be crowded in town centres.
Driving is exciting, try Marrakech on a Friday evening, knocks Paris into a cocked hat.

Morrocco Positive:

The King & his government are visisbly committed to tourism.
Most building is realtively low rise & attractive,
The country is kept clean, cleaner than my home town in the Uk.
There are lots of police in evidence.
People are surprisingly friendly given the UK postion in Iraq.
People are not as grasping in medinas souks as say Tunisia or Turkey.
We were rarely hassled.
Driving is exciting, HGVs & mopeds seem particularily exempt from traffic rules.

Conclusion:

If the price was right I would go to Morrocco & Agadir again, but would try another hotel.
I've done the Kenzi, it was good but not exceptional. ( coming home with gut-rot may be colouring my opinion)."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of November 2007

keep an open mind

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"We booked our holiday last minute and got a great deal overall, we didnt know what to expect, but here's an honest view of the Kenzi Europa -

As you arrive from the airport in Agadir you do see some shocking sights of the ways of life of the moroccans and wonder what you've let yourself in for, but we realised that as long as you keep an open mind and dont expect the world you'll be ok. you've got to remember this is a 3rd world country and they have a totally different way of life.

it only takes 30min to get to the kenzi and we were given room 153. on entering the room we realised we were on the 1st floor, but we had been promised a higher room. we asked to move but were told this couldnt be done til the morning. we came to realise from speaking to other people that you can get a new room if you need one but you wont be moved til 12 the next day and you have to badger the reception staff several times. we hovered round them til they finally gave in, and we were moved to room 401. the rooms all seem to be very clean from speaking to people, and beds were made every day. its about £10 to have a safe in your room and i would say it's worth doing this. the rooms are quite dated but they are fine for a weeks holiday, just a basic standard room really, cant really say anymore about them, just a place to lay your head at night!! if you are looking for fancy rooms then this is the wrong hotel for you. if you are planning to watch tv then you can forget it, english chanels consist of one normal chanel and one music chanel thats it.

food, well what can i say, i avoided most meat and all salad(washed in their water, not safe to eat), and I was generally ok, little bit of a queasy tummy for few days but ok. my partner wasnt so restrained and ate things i didnt, and he was quite ill. to be honest, there isnt loads of choice, but its so cheap to eat out that we ended up doing this afew times. make sure you ask about the a la carte and the sphinx restaurants, if you are all inclusive then you entitled to use these restaurants once a week each, but the reception staff dont tell you about these, obviously trying to keep their costs down.

the hotel is very smoky, but i'm a non smoker and i found it bearable. dont make the mistake like we did and call home from your hotel room, we made about 6 or 7 calls of only afew minutes each, and were presented a hefty bill of about £35 pounds on departure!! get a phone card from one of the many shops nearby, its so much cheaper.

pool area is small but fine, sometimes the music can be abit loud so daytime snoozing is not really an option in your room. we came on 10th sept and we didnt bother with the aircon, yes its warm at night but it is bearable.

we decided to go on lots of excursions as wanted to see lots of morocco. if you book with thomson like we did then we can definately recommend the 2 hr massage which is about £22, its out of this world and a lovely way to start your holiday!! the day trip to marrakesh is really worth every penny, as is the 4x4 jeep trip into atlas mountains with the donkey ride. even though it takes 4 hrs to get to marrakesh it goes quickly and we are so glad we went, you will see some totally amazing breathtaking scenery that will get you some fantastic photos. the moroccan night at the sofitel hotel is also really enjoyable.

on our last day we decided to go to the souk which is agadir's HUGE market, i'd really wanted to go after reading people's reviews on here. you'll have to get a taxi, just tell the driver to reset the meter otherwise he wont and try and add abit on. it only costs about £1.50 to get to the souk. make sure you go to gate 8,9 or 10 first. you will most definately have someone try and be your guide as soon as you get there, infact we had people at our taxi door before we'd even got out. in the end we let him take us round as it was so big and we would of got lost without him, and he knew ALL the staff owners so did help us get some bargains. we tipped him about £3 in the end which was well worth it. one thing i will say it keep hold of your bags at all times, you've really got to keep on your guard.

shopping, well where do i start??!! its not shopping as you know it!! you really have got to be firm, i would say when we left morocco we were haggling professionals!! seriously, dont walk into a shop unless you can be strong because they wont leave you alone! the way of life is they tell how much they want for something and you tell them how much you will pay, and the golden rule is you hardly budge from your price, you will get the item, they want your money no matter how small, i got one bloke to come down from £55 to £12 for some shoes. in the end they will follow you up the street and let you have it for what you offered in the first place.

beach across the road from kenzi is lovely and my partner did some great jet-skiing there, people will come up to you on the beach and offer you it really cheaply. you can have a lovely walk on the beach and look in lots of little shops.

overall, the kenzi is OK. nothing special but not awful in any way. food is the main letdown of the hotel, but for a cheap all inclusive hotel there are plenty of drinks included, as much bottled water as you want too. morroco is a place worth visiting, but agadir really is just lots of hotels and a nice beach so its worth doing some of the trips. we would visit morocco again. if you got a good price for your holiday like we did and keep an open mind (and afew tummy settler's) then we think the kenzi is OK!!"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of November 2007

Dreadful!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"Where do i start? Well to keep it brief, i checked the reviews before i booked and didnt believe it could be as bad as people said it was (more fool me). After looking at the pictures of the place i was convinced people must have been "too fussy" (how wrong was i)

Firstly i would rate this hotel a good 2* deffinately not a 5*. This deffinately needs to be looked at because the most 'misleading' statement they could make.

The pictures look great but when you get close up in the flesh EVERYTHING is dirty! there is no such thing as a 'non-smoking' room as they all smell of nicotine and all the furnishings overthrows,
curtains, headboards etc are 'sticky' with nicotine Yuck! We asked to change our room 3 times when we arrived because there is a pungent smell lingering in most of the rooms...we settled for less of a view to get away from the smell.

The food was diabolical, i can usually find something to eat in a foreign country but this food was rank! Most people @ the hotel had stomache upsets at some point and one guy who was there introduced us to his wife as they were leaving on thier last day, we didnt even know
he HAD a wife!! she was in her room ALL week with a runny tummy!!!

I could never had brought my kids here or they would have starved all week..although one couple's daughter lets call her 'C' WHO WAS ONLY 13
managed to find something daily and didnt complain once!! credit to the girl....

The staff were friendly enough as were the locals.

The all inclusive drink range consisted of 3 spitits and 1 bottled beer/lager coke and lemonade oh and water... thats it!!

The whole resort is one big building site .. im sure in say 20 years they may have it right but for now i wouldnt send my dog there!!

I know its a third world country but thats no excuse, we checked out other hotels while we were there to compare and believe me you can get
alot better for less money!

Overall the only plus was the weather! hot hot hot!!"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of November 2007

NOT 5 STAR

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"If your going to this hotel make sur you take plenty of stomach upset tablets we arrived on monday and by wednesday had the most awful stomach cramps and could not keep of the toilet. needless to say had food poisoning from the awful luke warm food that they dished out. few english people ther the barstaff very ignorant and would not give my 11 year old son 2 bottles of water even though we were all inclusive. deffinately wont be going back.

WILL NOT BE GOING BACK TO THIS HOTEL"

• Travel date: Thu 8th of November 2007

Don't go all that way to be so disappointed

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"Oh Dear! Please don’t make the same expensive mistake. Do not accept it.
We (mum, dad + 2 kids) travelled to Agadir on 27th October having booked two connecting rooms in the 5 star Kenzi Europa Hotel for 1 week, half board. Our expectations were for a high quality hotel with high quality bedrooms with a high quality pool area and high quality food. Please read the following notes (health warnings) about the above.

The Hotel: Past its sell by date by 25 years. A horrible bar area with irregular service. Euro 3.40 (MD 350) for a bottle of water. EUR 2.50 (MD 260) for an excuse for coffee.
A boutique attached to the hotel charges more than any convenience store in U.K or Ireland. ( and we know how expensive they are). The beach is 100 yards away as advertised but not a particularly nice part of it.

The Rooms: Our first rooms (214 & 215) were directly above the open windows of the kitchens. The smell was horrendous, which worried me, and the continuous crashing noises were disturbing. We asked to be moved after a sleepless night and reception were very good to move us to two rooms (204 & 205) at the back of the hotel. The furniture in the rooms is as dated as the hotel. Cheap, peeling and very scratched. Although the rooms were kept very clean, the standard of beds, furniture, television and bathrooms are more appropriate to a 1 star bed and breakfast. Both sets of balconies were not inviting with cracked glass panes. No air conditioning from 15th October as this is deemed to be Winter time however the pool is not heated until 5th November as this is not deemed to be Winter time. (yes, you did read it right and no, they can’t explain it).

The pool & surrounding area: Unheated until 5th November. Childrens pool is not separate. It s is a partitioned part of main pool and too deep for our 5 year old. Glass found around pool edges. The pool and surrounding area is quite small. The childrens playground and mini club is located at the top of a grassy hill. Everything is broken. Look at the pictures on their web site. Everything you see is broken beyond repair and dangerous to children. Inside the mini club is a broken bar football game, a small tv, and about 4 packs of play-doh. The football pitch is broken, the squash court is broken. The tennis courts are good.

The restaurant: unbelievabley bad. I have eaten off the streets of Delhi, Bangkok, etc and I have never come across food of this quality. I still can not believe that residents were eating it as if there were no tomorrow. I love Moroccan food but this was a disgrace. The kitchens looked dirty, the dishes were badly prepared and I am sorry to say that one week later, my stomach is still very weak after a serious bout of diarrhea. Our children refused to eat anything but bread . (Clever them) The a la carte restaurant was always empty and exactly the same as the main buffet room. So, having finally worked out how much it would cost to eat out, including breakfast, we decided to get the hell out! You can see by my review of our next hotel, The Iberostar Founty Beach that I do not get upset by Hotels unless they are very very bad. This was worse.

Best part of the hotel: the internet room which enabled us to find a proper hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of November 2007

The hotel is only few minutes’ walk fr...

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2007

"The hotel is only few minutes’ walk from the beach in Agadir. The room was very good size and had balcony with nice sea/pool view. It was absolutely spotless.

There was just pool (no gym or sauna, but in 40 degrees who would need one? Especially if you can go to hamman next door where you can get massage for few dirhams.

The restaurant decor wasn't very modern, but the food made up for it. Both breakfast and buffet dinners were excellent with huge choice (at least 10 mains 5 starters and 5 deserts, lots of fruit and salads) I loved those pancakes in the morning and lamb tangine for dinner.

The reception service was not that good, but I would say more than average when you consider Agadir is in Morocco. Overall very good."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007

Kenzi Europa Agadir

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"We stayed at the Kenzi Europa hotel in Agadir in August this year. Overall it was a pleasant hotel that was kept very clean. The food was nice and there was a lot of choice although after a while it did get a little repetitive and we were only there for a week. Upon arrival we were not happy with our allocated room, the balcony doors at this complex do not seem to work!! so make sure that you are high enough above ground so as to not get burgled!!! The staff are accomodating if you kick up enough fuss and eventually changed up to a much better room! The beds in the room and made for you every day, and you are given fresh towels.
The hotel staff do not speak very good English and at times struggled to understand what we were trying to say.
The pool was nice but did get very busy, although it says in the brochure that guests are not permitted to reserve sunbeds with towels this didnt stop anybody so to make sure you get one it is best to get up pretty early to reserve yours! During the day there are various activities that go on at the same time, stretching takes place in the morning, followed by aqua aerobics and then water polo in the afternoon, some days you can also play volleyball and there was a moroccon cuisine day.
There is good evening entertainment at the hotel which at times can be very loud if you want an early night!! whilst we were there we saw a snake charmer, acrobats, belly dancer, magician and had an evening of Bingo.
The beach is literally a 2 minute walk away although it gets very busy, there are a high proportion of locals who spend time there and not many tourists."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of October 2007

Arrived at this alleged 5 star hotel (3...

Reviewed Tue 25th of September 2007

"Arrived at this alleged 5 star hotel (3 would be more apt, service 0) and was immediately turned away to another hotel as they had overbooked. I was given a letter which was obviously photo copied with my name attached from a company I didn't book with. On asking for directions I was simply pointed towards the door. After getting lost I eventually found the way past the drug dealers to my one night stay at another hotel.

On my arrival back to the Kenzi I was still not offered an apology but given an envelope containing details of my rep and trips to book on. This turned out to be another con as it was not from my travel company even though it had their details on. I arrived in my room (after an insistent porter took my bags and charged me a quid for the privilege). The room was substandard, not even a smoke alarm (it had been ripped of the ceiling) and we complained as it wasn't a double as requested. We finally, after much debate, got a room in the other block. This was the only redeeming feature as the room was clean (Still no smoke alarm!) and the door locked (not the patio). The room was cleaned daily to and the maid was pleasant enough.

The hotel had one bar which is probably capable of holding thirty people. The staff are very reluctant to serve (especially English speaking) and everything was an effort. The food was appalling, everyone had diarrhoea and vomiting at some point in their stay, to the point where all inclusive guest were eating out. Again, the English guests were largely ignored, if you sat down you were lucky to get a drink after your meal - finding cutlery was a daily battle.

We also made the mistake of going into the ala carte restaurant. This is a restaurant which was open to the public and you could have a three course meal of your choosing. We booked the table 24 hours in advance and were told we had to pick our choices there and then. It wasn't hard as there were only three to choose from. We were told to come any time between 730pm and 10pm and when we arrived at the restaurant we discovered it empty. We were told by our waiter Kourri that it was too late. We explained that we had booked and were told to come in the times stated above. After much mutterings he decided to serve us. Constantly telling us to hurry, at one point said he had turned up the heat to burn our food. We ate our ala carte meal (consisting of a cheese single torched onto a chicken breast) and left.

The bar shut early frequently, the pool area had broken glass by the sun beds. My whole stay was very uncomfortable, I was so glad it was only a week. I also went and stayed at another hotel just to get away for a night! The sea front was packed with lady and gentlemen of the night and I was offered drugs regularly. I certainly wouldn't suggest the resort for a family trip, and I wouldn't recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Travel date: Tue 25th of September 2007

The worst place I ever stayed in

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Arrived at this alleged 5 star hotel (3 would be more apt, service 0) and was immediately turned away to another hotel as they had over booked. I was given a letter which was obviously photo copied with my name attached from a company I didn't book with. On asking for directions I was simply pointed towards the door. After getting lost I eventually found the way past the drug dealers to my one night stay at another hotel. On my arrival back to the Kenzi I was still not offered an apology but given an envelope containing details of my rep and trips to book on. This turned out to be another Con as it was not from my travel company Even though it had their details on. I arrived in my room (after an insistant porter took my bags and charged me a quid for the priveledge). The room was substandard, not even a smoke alarm (it had been ripped of the ceiling) and we complained as it wasn't a double as requested. We finally after much debate got a room in the other block. This was the only redeeming feature as the room was clean (Still no smoke alarm!!) And the door locked (not the patio). The room was cleaned daily to and the maid was pleasent enough.
The hotel had one bar which is probably capable of holding thirty people. The staff are very reluctant to serve (especially english speaking) and everything was an effort. The food was appalling, everyone had Diarrheoa and vomiting at some point in there stay, to the point where all inclusive guest were eating out. Again the english guests were largely ignored, if you sat down you were lucky to get a drink after your meal - finding cutlery was a daily battle. We also made the mistake of going into the ala carte restaurant. This is a restaurant which was open to the public and you could have a three course meal of your choosing. We booked the table 24 hours in advance and were told we had to pick our choices there and then. It wasn't hard as there were only three to choose from. We were told to come any time between 7 30 and 10 and when we arrived at the restaurant we discovered it empty. We were told by our waiter Kourri that it was to late. We explained that we had booked and were told to come in the times stated above. After much mutterings he decided to serve us. Constantly telling us to hurry, at one point said he had turned up the heat to burn our food. We ate our ala carte meal (consisting of a cheese single torched onto a chicken breast) and left. The bar shut early frequently, the pool area had broken glass by the sun beds. My whole stay was very uncomfortable, I was so glad it was only a week. I also went and stayed at another hotel just to get away for a night! The sea front was packed with lady and gentlemen of the night and I was offered drugs regulary. I certainly wouldn't suggest the resort for a family trip, and I wouldn't recommend the hotel to anyone. I could write reams more - do not hesitate to contact me"

• Travel date: Tue 25th of September 2007

Hotels near Kenzi Europa

Top traveller tips for Kenzi Europa

• Mr Wright by Mr Wright

"Remember you are not at home "

Kenzi Europa is also called