Welcome by night

• kids club
  • babysitting
  • butler service

Good

Nice sun holiday in October!

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"My wife and I stayed in this hotel for the last week of October. We were not able to take a beach holiday earlier this year and were really worried that it was going to be too cold (the Web weather forecast was alarming as well). Luckily, our worries were unfounded: even though it rained the night we arrived, it was sunny and hot (upper 20s) for the whole week after that, except the last day and a half, when it was cloudy, but still very warm. We came back with a nice tan! The staff are very nice: you are greeted at the door by porters dressed in traditional-looking clothes and are served the eternal mint tea while you wait for check-in. We did not have a pool-view room, but since we did not spend too much time inside anyway, it was not a problem. It is true that there are no balconies on upper floors, which is a pity, but we were prepared and did not mind. The room and bathroom were good size, clean and well-kept. The drawyers are not very comfortable to use and there were not enough hangers, but if you call reception, they are always very helpful. We were on half-board and ended up only using the buffet for both breakfast and dinner (so I cannot comment on other restaurants). The breakfast was excellent (try the omelettes and pancakes!) and dinner very good as well. There were some recurring dishes (like couscous and certain brands of tagine), but everyday there was something new to try. I must say that I am not a big fan of Mediterranean cuisine and don't like mint, so I got tired towards the end, but that's just me. We used to have lunch poolside. Pizza/salad ar cheap, but service, especially at peak times, can be slow. Try the "fish market" on the other side of the pool: salad bar for starter and then you choose the fish that will be grilled and served for you - more expensive, but worth it. We did not try any restaurants in Agadir, so cannot comment on that. The pool area is absolutely great! You can choose to lie down on a normal sunbed or on a large leather-top bunk or on one of those with curtains hanging over (if you are sun-burnt, for example) on in one of the hammocks. My wife only went to the children's pool because it was warmer: the main section is not heated, so with chill of late October nights, the water is around 20C - enough for me, though. Normally, I prefer to swim in the ocean, but here it was not possible because of the waves: I bathed a lot, but did not go far enough to swim. There is a beach volleyball court on the beach, as well as a bar and some topless sunbathers. Unfortunately, the private beach was not cleaned regularly - I even had to skip ocean-bathing a couple of days because it was not pleasant to go into the water for all the rubbish floating. This is probably because late October is not high season. There were plenty of children (it must also be school holidays in France at this time). The majority of tourists are French, but a sizeable group from Britain arrived at the weekend as well. It helps if you speak French, but the staff all speak at least basic English. We spent almost all the time in the hotel and did not travel (which was probably a mistake - but we just could not drag ourselves out of bed for the 6am departure to Marrakech. The local medina was not very impressive. But compared to Egypt, Moroccans are discrete! (Though not by North European standards, of course). All in all, we enjoyed our stay, and this hotel is extremely nice. For a sun holiday at this time of the year, this was a good deal."

• Travel date: 6th November 2006

excellent hotel.

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"we recently stayed at the sofitel hotel in agadir. it was amazing. the hotel is beautiful. the pool area was fantastic with four poster leather beds to sunbathe on!! the hotel is kept immaculately clean. there is a lovely lounge area where families can sit and enjoy the famous mint tea!(which is delicious). the staff are very friendly and will help to advise you on any excursions. there is a private section of the beach for sofitel which is kept really clean. food wise there are three restaurants at the hotel, which have traditonal moroccan cuisine or continental cuisine.to eat at the restaurants is slightly expensive but no more than what you would pay in england,for a good meal. and if your not into moroccan cuisine there is always the local macdonalds down the road!! i prefered staying on a bed/breakfast basis as this allowed us to eat outside the hotel if we wanted to. the location of the hotel is only 5-10mins taxi ride into main agadir town centre. at the hotel adults can enjoy the 'so nightclub'.it is very modern with a resident band and dj who play all types of music,open till four in the morning. overall i think the hotel is perfect for couples and families or for groups as it has everything you need to enjoy the moroccan culture. absolutely amazing!!!"

• Travel date: 5th November 2006

Great pool and beach at Sofitel

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"I stayed at the Sofitel and thought that the grounds were much nicer than the hotel. I was there the 21-28 of October (left at 5:45 this morning). The beach and pool are beautiful and very comfortable with hamacs, chairs, and even beds some of them with canopies which are great with family with little kids or people who want to get some protection from the sun. The rooms are good and comfortable but mine getting tired (details in bathroom) and not well insulated re. noise. My package included breakfast and dinner (buffet, plentiful but not delicious) and 3 sessions at the spa which were good but not great compared to others I have experienced elsewhere. It is supposed to be a 5 stars hotel but I think that it one too many. Everybody working there was extremely friendly and kind with children. Everyhting you buy at the hotel is was overpriced. At the cabana at the beach I paid 7.50 Euros for 1 industrial ice cream on a stick and a small coffee. Lunch was outrageously expensive: grilled fish at 28 Euros and salad charged as an extra, so the total was 40 Euros for my lunch with a glass of local wine. Paris prices in Morocco! I do not quite agree with that policy."

• Travel date: 27th October 2006

Tale of two halves

Reviewed 13th October 2012

"Me, my wife and my daugter (5) went tothe Sofitel in October 06 This review is based on two two opinions! Firstly mine (husband!); I would like to politely disagree with many other opinions regarding the "relaxing" atmosphere and the "mint tea" effect when you arrive. Living much of my life in the how best to extract as much money as quickly as possible arena I immediately realised "welcome to Morocco" - fantastic! The next two days were perfect, the sun was shining, the pool and surroundings fabulous; as we always pay cash for drinks etc it was facinating watching waiters falling over themselves and falling out with each other to try and serve us - wonder why? Done the usual souks etc etc - all very enjoyably - as other writers state find a taxi driver you like, trust and stick with him. Then horror upon horrors (and i must state that I am NEVER ill)! The dreaded fever, vomit and diaherra occured and the doctor was called to give his usual antibiotic prescription (even he made a profit - quoted 320 / charged 400 - too weak to haggle). This illness lasted four days which left two full days of the holiday. The point of this review? Well, firstly it is not 5 star but the price you pay to go there isn't either. Secondly, the illness thing is a huge factor (one veteran stated 70% of visitiors incur some sort of problem) but thirdly and more encouragingly, it is a cheap holiday, cheap resort with a flight time if the wind is behind you of under three hours and if you have the energy to deal with the Moroccans it is fun. My recommendation would be to take your chances. Now my wifes turn. Me and my daughter had a really relaxed and enjoyable holiday. I have to admit with my husband on one of his points, you are acccosted on arrival (along with your mint tea) for money/credit card details etc. We found it totally relaxing, the sun was shining and the pool area was great. I had to go out with my 5 year old a few nights alone, and apart from one unscrupulous cab driver (you always get 1), we felt safe and had some lovely meals in fab restaurants. All in all a happy time was had by us two!!"

• Travel date: 25th October 2006

Loved the staff

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"Just had a week at the Sofitel Agadir which was really great. We booked the hotel mainly from previous reviews on Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. We had a lovely room with a french door onto the pool, what a pool! Loved the wonderfully comfortable four poster beds around the pool and never had any trouble getting one, if you were prepared to get up early that is! Breakfast was great, the fresh orange juice being endlessly squeezed right in front of your eyes and the fruit etc etc. We had the hotel dinner one night and ate so much, the choice was wondeful and good quality, expecially the salads and patisserie. Hotel was fun, always something going on, really enjoyed the GM's cocktail party! Great surprise when it was revealed that the singer was the GM himself! In fact all the staff seemed to participate in one way or another, playing the key boards, singing or dancing - great fun and after that we felt we really knew everyone. Service was top class, skilled, friendly and efficient. Had the best lunch at the fish market restaurant, delicious king prawns and squid. Had a really relaxing holiday, slept a lot and read three books, really just what we needed. Lovely, well run hotel with charming staff."

• Travel date: 23rd October 2006

Excellent!! Perfect for a relaxing holiday :-)

Reviewed 28th December 2012

"Stayed at Sofitel Agadir 4/10 to 11/10/06 - booked through first choice direct. I found the Hotel to be one of the nicest hotels i have ever stayed in. The reception area is magnificent - on arrival you are seated and brought cool flannels and mint tea whilst your room is being allocated. The rooms were very nice and very clean - although we didn't have a balcony this didn't prove an issue. The bathroom was large and well equipped (bath, shower, toilet,bidet). Storage was also adequate for 2 people. Rooms also have TV and fridge. The pool area is amazing - just loved it. The 4 poster beds were fab and if you can't get one of them there were plenty other "beds" around the pool. These were all cleaned daily. Perfect for relaxing :-) We didn't have a problem getting a bed any day. One minus is that it is expensive for food/drinks. However you are staying in a 5* hotel so was to be expected. Cola/Fanta was £2.00 a can, beer £3.00+ a bottle - you can get pizza for around £5.00 and salads around £5.00 too. The food was very nice for a pool side snack. We were staying B&B so we ate 1 night at the buffet - again nice but expensive - 300Dirham (£18.00) + drinks. One thing we found was that Room Service was "cheap" - the cheapest way to get food at night. Food was nice and fast delivery. However, i would recomment getting a taxi outside the hotel for 20Dirhams (£1.20) and go to a restaurant in Agadir - we had some great meals which only cost around £6 to £8.00. Taxis are plentiful and very easy. We took a day trip to Marrakech, which is well worth it! This was organised through our rep. Marrakech is an amazing place and certainly an eye opener. I'd recommend going just so you can see the real Morocco :-) Overall if you want a relaxing holiday then this is it!!! I came away feeling completly relaxed and thorughly enjoyed my stay and would go back for that reason. Agadir itself i didn't like - could have been any resort. I found the Moroccon's to be very friendly and helpful. We had 7 days of sunshine - not a cloud in the sky!!!! PERFECT!"

• Travel date: 11th October 2006

Great hotel but no balconies

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"We have just returned from a week at the Sofitel Agadir. It is a beautiful hotel but why oh why did the architects decide not to include balconies. There are a few rooms with terraces that open onto a fantastic pool - but if you want to upgrade this is 40 euros a night. A real let down that results in this being just above average rather than excellent. However the rooms are fine - probably benefitting a 4 star but you wont be sitting out under the stars! The rest of the hotel though is fantastic and if you fancy lazing on a four poster bed around the pool or on one of the hammocks these are a nice touch that sets this hotel apart from the crowd. It is the last hotel (currently) on this amazingly long golden sandy beach and there is some building work next door but this is very unobtrusive. The food in the hotel is very good. Big breakfast buffets with lots of choice and if you eat in the main restaurant there is a degustation dish that comes served on a wooden tray that offers a glimpse of the best that the hotel has to offer for Moroccan or Asian cooking. We did however eat out a lot (La Scala is well worth going to and is nearby - a short taxi ride - dont pay more than 20 dirhams there and more than 30 back) as the hotel is not cheap - but the food is good. If you are looking for a place to chill out around the pool or on the beach then you cant go wrong here."

• Travel date: 8th October 2006

expensive

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"i stayed here with my family for 11 nights after staying in marrakech hoping to have a relaxing stay... the hotel is beautiful if you like large impersonnal hotels however the restaurants are very expensive even the buffet which is in a large cavernous room and bedlam for meals. Although the pool area is very stylish there are no where near enough sun beds in peak season and much against my will we had to get up at 5.30 to claim our pitch.. not very relexing. the hotel has a gym but it has no air con. lastly it is the furthest away from town, cabs will charge anything from 10 to 60 dirhams for the short ride into town. also they are building another hotel next door so request a quiet room over looking pool."

• Travel date: 4th October 2006

Buffet dinner blues

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"The Sofitel Agadir is listed as 5 star, whilst the rooms are, for the most part, it was disappointing not to have balconies which most of the other hotels in Agadir seem to have. The pool is magnificent with towers breaking up the area so you have interesting bathing routes. Great sunbathing beds with 8" mattresses as well as the usual loungers. The breakfast was great and the breads selection out of this world in quality, as were the croissants and pastries. The one black mark was the dinner buffet. It was the same theme every night, though called a different name. Bland, tough chicken, tough beef overcooked fish. Lukewarm for the most part and certainly not worth 300 mad per head (£18) without wine, when for the same money one could eat like a king in town at La Scala, or enjoy a Lebanese, Italian and other cuisine in a multitude of restaurants for less still. Water was £2.40 per bottle whereas in town only 30p and they wondered why you smuggled it in! Room service and laundry were prompt and good. THe staff were brilliant, but what seemed to be in short supply were efficient overseers to make improvements in the restaurants. Agadir is great for relaxing."

• Travel date: 29th September 2006

Go half board. The food and drink is expensive.

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"I chose the Sofitel, based on reviews on this site and others. Overall I had an reasonably enjoyable holiday and stay at the Sofitel, but I wouldn't go back again (partly because it is in Morroco). There are several points which are worth mentioning: Plus points: 1. Fantastic pool area. 2. Very close to sea and large beach. 3. Peaceful. 4. Very clean. 5. Friendly staff (as long as you tip, otherwise they will quickly lose their smile). 6. Good food. 7. Thoughful decor. Negative points: 1. Service was slow at times. One couple we talked to waited 45 mins for a coffee. 2. I felt the food and drink was rather expensive (£2.50 for a bottle of water, £5 to £10 for a cocktail). I have stayed in many hotels all over the world, and I don't feel the Sofitel can call itself a 5 star hotel, due to the service and room size / quality. As far as Morocco goes - I have to be honest and say I was a little disapointed. If all you want to do is sit around and work on the tan than Morroco is fine. But if you were hoping to find an interesting culture and lots of exciting things to see and do than this is probably not the place for you. You will not want to visit more than one souk (market) if you are a tourist as the pestering reaches legendary levels. Be aware that if you take pictures of any locls they will expect to be paid. It seemed to me that the majority of people we came across saw us as a walking wallet. If you go on a booked tour, you will find your guide takes you to places where he will receive commission. Haggling is standard practice - Don't buy anything in markets for more than a quarter of the 'tourist' price. When you 'walk away' you will be surprised how quickly the vendor agrees to your price."

• Travel date: 23rd September 2006

Hotels near Hotel Sofitel Agadir Royal Bay Resort

Hotel Sofitel Agadir Royal Bay Resort is also called

• Sofitel Agadir Hotel
  • sofitel agadir
  • sofitel agadir royal bay hotel