Aerial View

• infinity pool
  • golf course
  • butler service

Good

Pure bliss and relaxation, if a little expensive

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"We have just come back from 2 weeks in Mauritius, staying with le Prince Maurice and the Belle Mare Plage - both part of Constance Hotels. We were very worried about the Prince Maurice after reading reviews on this site but right from the word go everything was excellent. I could spend ages describing everything, but I will just say that the pictures don't do the hotel justice- the design is just amazing. Expect to be treated like royalty- they sometimes even carried our buffet food back to the table, sprinted so you didn't have to pour yourself any water! The food was delicious, the only reason I can think of people complaining about this aspect is that they themselves are too used to macdonalds! They have won awards for the food and I am not surprised. Try not to think about the cost of the wine and go for the 'local' South African varieties which are cheaper. A quick trip into Flacq can get you a supply of wine and food for lunch if you are half board and are worried about price (€40 for 2 sandwiches room service- eek!). We found Flacq much nicer than Belle Mare, much less likely to be 'pounced' on. The Junior suite was very spacious and the bathroom was almost as large with a large bath and shower big enough for two. The housekeeping were very friendly (as were all staff) and if you are worried- there is an in-room safe. Moving to the larger Belle Mare for the last week, we found ourselves saying "it would be better at the Prince Maurice" for the first couple of days. It was only when we went on an excursion and saw what the other hotels were like that we realised we were complaining about a 5 star hotel! But that just shows how good the Prince Maurice is. I will also write a review of the Belle Mare, but as a comparison- they are both excellent, but it was easier to be more active at the Belle Mare as it is just too easy to relax at the Prince. The prices are roughly double for drinks so this might have been a factor! I would definately reccommend ITC as agents as we saved stupid amounts of money on this holiday, much cheaper than the high street agents, and very very good out in Mauritius too. A word of warning however- you may find yourselves addicted to holidays like this; we have already ordered ITC's brochure and looking at the rest of Constances hotels!"

• Travel date: 26th September 2007

Get close to heaven !

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"My husband & I stayed at the Prince Maurice in May 2007 for one week. This was just great ! The hotel's designed in a balinese style (wood & marble floor, great furniture), with an amazing pool... Our room was not so big, but we've got a nice terrace overlooking the garden (and beyond the beach) and a big bathroom. The food was excellent (in both restaurants), and the cocktails were too ! The staff was very helpful - although not intrusive at all - and keep the place very quiet ! Guys at the nautic base were very very nice and help U trying skiing, wakeboarding, wind surfing, etc etc As far as the weather is concerned, May is just perfect : not too hot and not too windy At least what U have to do is : Go there & enjoy !"

• Travel date: 26th May 2007

Great place

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"We very much liked the Prince Maurice, comparable small hotel with very privat, sandy beach (lagoon with only half ocean front), large pool and great architecture. Excellent service and very good but not really gourmet food. We also enjoyed that suites (large and with nice furniture) are not build wall to wall to each other, recommend to book upper floor standard suite (nicer roof construction). Prices for wine & drinks are very high but all watersports are free as well as green fees in the golf club (shuttle bus). We also checked hotels in Flic en Flac (did not like the half public narrow beach) and the Saint Geran (more expensive, doubt that its worth it). Can really recommend the Prince Maurice."

• Travel date: 27th April 2007

5 star and more experience

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"We spent our honeymoon at the Prince Maurice hotel in Mauritius and it is truly a 5 star hotel. We stayed in a suite on stilts by the water. The suites were beautifully decorated and kept exceptionally clean. I recommend having the flower-filled bath which the staff will fill for you every night! The hotel was also beautiful and kept spotless. Guests were mainly couples but there were a few families there. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner and the food was really good. The breakfast had a huge selection from fresh fruit, pastries, smoothies and wide variety of cooked breakfasts. The evening menus changed daily with different options, we never ate the same thing twice and there was always a good choice. The hotel has its own beach with a variety of watersports, we learnt to sail a catamaran when we there. I highly recommend the spa and their treatments - highly professional therapists. The pool is gorgeous, you are always greeted by a pool-man who sets up your sun loungers including towels, fresh water and cold flannels. They even clean your sunglasses whilst you're sunbathing! We did not really venture outside of the hotel because it was so relaxing there. In the evenings, we would stay in the bar and sip cocktails and listen to the live singers. Yes, the drinks are a bit pricey but well worth it. If you are looking for luxury then this is the hotel for you, the staff are so attentive and cannot do enough for you. I can honestly say that this hotel looks exactly as the photos in the brochure and even better!"

• Travel date: 23rd March 2007

Perfect!

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"I had to write this review as I strongly disagree with some of the comments that have recently been made about this hotel. We stayed at Le Prince Maurice for our honeymoon in October 2006. We stayed there for 2 weeks and it was perfect! I spent alot of time researching where to stay in Maurtius and we knew that we had chosen the right place!! Firstly, the food - it was all incredible. There are just 2 restaurants and this had concerned us abit as we were staying there for 2 weeks but there was so much choice that we didn't need to worry. The main menu is huge but on top of this, there was also specials added every day! I had trouble getting through everything that I wanted to eat! There are also a number of meals (thai, indian etc) for 2 or more that you can order a day in advance and we did this a couple of times and its a real experience! But make sure you don't fill up on bread beforehand! In terms of quality - I could not fault the food and we are used to eating in very good restaurants and staying in other 5 star hotels. I really don't understand some of the comments made as every meal was superb. We are not big on the buffets and didn't attend any of the special buffet style nights but its good to have the choice. In terms of value for money, the hotel is expensive but what do you expect for a 5 star hotel! However, we were half board and we were very pleased to find that the only supplement for food was lobster. Considering, the huge choices, this was not a problem and when we did have lobster it was not too much more. It was our honeymoon, so we didn't really worry about money BUT to our surpise our final bill was less than we had expected so we were pleased! Wine - I have read alot about the expense of the wine and yes, wine is not cheap in Maurtius BUT the hotel has such a huge wine menu that this was not an issue for us. We stuck to the lower end of prices and got fantastic wine which was not vastly different in price to what you would pay in London. Also, the hotel were very happy to keep your wine overnight for you. Often, we didn't finish the whole bottle (or the second bottle!) and they just put it by for us so we could carry on the next night!!!!!! The beach is superb and I disagree that it is small - there was always plenty of room and the fact that it is situated inland is great and a real positive as you don't get the issues with the winds. If you stay on the coast then the winds can really affect your holiday. The service on the beach was outstanding. Fresh towels, cold flannels to cool you down, free sorbet in the afternoon and as much iced cool water as you needed. If you wanted to move your sunbed - all you did was get up and before you even got to the end of the sunbed someone was there to do it for you! Ordering food and drinks was easy - put your flag up and someone came quickly to take your order. The pool is also wonderful and although we spent most days on the beach, I oftern used the pool for a quick swim as I found it so relaxing, altough my husband perferred to swim in the sea. Our villa was gorgeous. We had a villa situated on the beach (as we had requested in advance) and it was great - lovely views and direct access to the beach! I did not feel that we needed to upgrade to the superier villas with the plunge pools. We had a huge bed and bedroom, the bathroom was as big as the bedroom and the veranda was perfect and secluded. The villas are two story and we had the top floor which I did like as we were on the beach (although there were trees around) but I think it gave you more privacy than being on the ground floor. We had room service for lunch a few times and I would recommend this as its quite an experience. I also must mention our candlelight meal for two! What an amazing experience! It took 30 mins to set it all up - flowers, candles etc - very romantic!!!!!! Le Prince Maurice also offers free watersports which includes water skiing - this is unusual to find and we really enjoyed being able to waterski whenever we felt liked it! The spa was lovely and I had an amazing massage there. I have been to many Champneys spas and also used many hotel spas and it was as good as anything I had been to previously. The staff were great and the atmosphere very relaxing. Laslty, the staff were amazing! Not only were ALL the staff friendly, attentive and professional but they also get to know your names very quickly and we really liked this personal attention. The staff on the front desks were really helpful when we hired cars and booked a trip to swim with dolphins but even more than this - the day after our trip with the dolphins they were asking us how we got on and whether we had swam with any! (which we had!!!!!!!!). They really wanted to make sure that you had the most wonderful holiday experience possible. There is only two warnings I would give people thinking about coming here. One is that the setting of both the restaurants are totally gorgeous (make sure you go to the floating restuarant at least once!) but they are open sided and in October the evenings were alittle chilly sometimes so make sure you take warmer clothes for the evening but also remember to ask if they can close the blinds as this makes a big difference and for some reason alot of people we saw didn't ask!! Secondly, is BEWARE - once you had experienced a holiday here, you will struggle to beat it! We are just thinking of a holiday for this year and its a real struggle to beat this very special place!"

• Travel date: 10th March 2007

Lovely, but

Reviewed 18th October 2012

"We stayed at Le Prince Maurice over Christmas and I found it a very perplexing place. There is no doubt that visually the hotel is stunning. My daughter thought it was the most beautiful place she has ever been! I also loved the spa and the beach ( we didn't mind the lagoon position - it is private and safe) Our rooms were lovely, the food was OK, the service is what you expect from a 5 star Indian Oceon resort, but... I can't quite put my finger on it but there was no joy in the hotel - ( we weren't looking for discos by the way - I just mean there was so little sense of anyone getting any enjoyment out of anything) And the front desk staff were pretty useless when it came to sorting out a small problem with the bill. Odd really, but not terrible!"

• Travel date: 26th January 2007

paradise with a sting in the tail

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"I stayed at this hotel as the second leg of my honeymoon in may 06. After my stay at the mina a salem in dubai, it had a lot to live upto. totally different holiday, but it initially turned out too be paradise. Perfect beaches, lush surroundings, fantastic accomodation great staff and wonderful food, it was going great. Then i discovered that i had been robbed by the hotel cleaners to the tune of £500 english pounds + a pair of sunglasses. Nothing was done and i was told it was tough luck!! But the robbing was not over there, the drinks bill was daylight robbery. At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask when he made his living!!!"

Just amazing

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"Everything was wonderful. The staff, the rooms, the architecture... I was there with my family while there were only people on their honeymoons! but it was still a beautifl experience and I would recommend it to anyone going to Mauritius !"

Terrible

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"We stayed at the Prince Maurice over the Christmas and New Year period for two weeks. We had to pay upfront but wish we had not. We wanted to change hotels after the first week. What the website does not tell is that the hotel is on an inlet, therefore you are not looking or walking into a turquoise sea. It is fresh water mixed with sea water. The appearance is green because you are among the mangroves. The beach looks out over this inlet across to a public beach and a road. The inlet is not big so you can easily see on the beach and the locals camping who swim across and walk along the hotel beach all day. Secondly the beach is small you are no further than six feet from the next sunbeds therefore nothing is private. You can hear every phone ring, and every conversation. The beach is narrow with palm trees which blocks the afternoon sun unless you lie in the water where everybody walks past but there is no sun on the beach after 2.30 due to the water line and palm trees. Another point is the food - terrible. If you like boiled potatoes and half a steamed carrot and some palm heart every night then go ahead. If you want something with flavour do not stay here. The food was so bland and the menu never changed. They do put a buffet on some nights with different themes. We went to a couple but they were all boring. The lobster night was 120 euros each but the prawns were mushy, actually disintergrating in your fingers so you were unable to eat them and then i had burnt lobster. I can not emphasise how terrible the food is. We went to the Toussrock for two meals at the pan asian restaurant and the Saffron and they were both exquisite. The service is good except from the management. We made our grievances known but were not prepared to let us move hotels or offer any allowance on the food. They actually threatened to have us arrested by the police as we wanted to hold 1,500 euros off our final bill subject to discussions with the MD of the Constance group. Bare in mind they already at £16,000 off us...... The gym is also a serious let down. No air conditioning and old machines. There were two new treadmills and one new cross trainer, an old stepper and two old bikes and a rowing machine. Not enough equipment for a hotel of this standard. Overall a terrible holiday, one we will never repeat and certainly never recommend. Please do not stay here."

• Travel date: 11th January 2007

Very nice, but wouldn't go back

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"We stayed at the Prince Maurice at the end of our honeymoon. We are from Los Angeles and had large expectations that were generally validated, but several things didn't live up to the hype. Primarily, the food was terrible. My husband and I are not foodies, but we found the food to be so awful that it became problematic. The breakfast was reasonable (a huge buffet), but we really struggled at lunch and dinner. There are only two restaurants to choose from, and the menu gets old very fast (and isn't even good). We ate a ton of the bread to deal with our hunger! Another major let-down was the spa. The facilities were not what I expected for a place that bills itself as a great spa and fitness retreat. There were not a lot of machines and all were very odd. The spa facilities were very drab and uninviting. I had a massage there that was a complete waste of money. On the upside, the pool and beach are lovely, and there are a lot of watersports to choose from (for free!). Additionally, our room (a junior suite) was gorgeous and a beautiful retreat. We loved spending time in it! All in all, it was a very nice hotel, but the food and spa were major disappointments. If I go to the island again, I would try somewhere else."

• Travel date: 9th January 2007