Nice Hotel in Great Location

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Excellent Hotel with great bar and decked area on the marina waters edge. Food was decent and the beer was good at UK prices.
Comfortable and look forward to staying again soon."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of December 2009

Best Business Option in Port Louis

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"This was my second visit to Le Suffren. I find the hotel to be overpriced given that they do not have an onsite gym or pool (these are located at their sister hotel across the canal). Breakfast is nice but does not have fresh juices as I would expect from a hotel of this price. I tried staying at a less expensive hotel but the alternatives are not great--Did not like the St George at all. The staff are friendly, the linens are of good quality and the bed is comfortable. The restaurant does have excellent food and has a nice atmosphere.

Given the amount of hotels I stay in for business and the real need for a higher level environmental consciousness from us all, I am always miffed when hotels do not give concerned guests the option to save water and decrease pollution from detergents by allowing them to reuse towels and not change sheets so often. I asked them not to change my towels (which most people would not waste their time doing but this is a big concern for me) unless they were on the floor, but they changed them anyway. I was happy to see that they have the card key which when taken out of the slot by the door turns off any air conditioning."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of October 2009

Decent Hotel

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"I stayed at this hotel for 10 days and while using the conference facilities at Labourdonais.

the hotel is in designed like a beach resort hotel - although Port Louis is not a resort area - and in fact pretty dead at night. The hotel is fine - there is a pool and a strip of artificial beach facing a car park and what looks like a power station.

There is a free water taxi that takes you over the canal to the main waterfront area - it comes as soon as you stand on the landing and takes about 30 seconds (and you can look at the tropical fish swimming around in the water!)

It's quite a relaxed informal place and, being on business, it was great to take a boat back every evening and have a drink outside by the water.

Service at breakfast is very slow and patchy - getting a cup of coffee or some toast can be challenging. If you're there for business bear in mind that you might need to leave more time for breakfast than usual.

The only gym facility is at the sister hotel - Labourdonais - but although the gym opens at 6.30am the water taxi doesn't start until 7am so using it first thing isn't easy.

The reception staff weren't very friendly but many of the staff were great and after a few days referred to us by our first names. One continually made much of how little they earned and showed us the amount on a calculator. It was probably an attempt at a tip but made us feel awkward.

Internet is available by hiring a usb device. It was expensive (around £10-£15 per day) and was painfully, painfully, slow. When I mentioned it to reception, I got shoulder shrugging.

Linens weren't changed in the whole time were there. No water is supplied and if you use the tea/coffee tray in your room you have to pay for that also.

Overall a nice hotel given the location."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of November 2008

Great hotel for business travellers

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"A colleague and I stayed in this business hotel for just over four weeks. It is four years old (although it looks much older because of its design), and overall it provided a great travel experience.

I was working in the central business district and chose to use the (free) water taxi service and then walk to and from work each day (about 15 or 20 minutes). My colleague chose to travel by car. Either way, it's readily accessible to Port Louis, and a far better option for business travellers than staying in a resort and commuting each day - peak hour commutes are slow and unpleasant.

My room was reasonably spacious, although the desk furniture could have been better designed.

The only problem I had was noise from the Happy hour in the nearby bar - from 5 pm to 9 pm each Friday. Also has been previously mentioned, there are no elevators - this was not a problem for me but this hotel would NOT be suitable for anyone with a physical disability.

I used internet facilities at work or at a local cyber cafe, but you could also rent wireless internet facilities - this was expensive, as was the business centre.

The hotel is a sister property of the nearby Labourdonnais (an older, slightly more formal and more expensive hotel), and Le Suffren guests can use the facilities at the Labourdonnais - I used its gym, which although small had a reasonable range of weight machines.

As has been previously noted, bottled water is also expensive - but you can easily buy it elsewhere for around $US1 per bottle, which is what I did, or use a bottle with a filter. The tap water is drinkable, but not in the cyclone season (November - April/May).

I do not generally eat in hotel restaurants, but this hotel has a great restaurant with water views and pleasant ambience, providing great food at reasonable prices. The creme brulee is to die for, as is the chocolate souffle.

I also enjoyed the breakfasts - a wide variety of buffet foods (including smoked marlin - a first for me), plus you can order eggs cooked how you want them. The coffee wasn't great, though, and that's true of just about anywhere in Mauritius.

As has previously been noted, there are no irons in the rooms. I accepted that I would be paying a minimum of $US10 per day for laundry - a relatively small charge compared to the cost of the room.

What makes this place is the staff, - who were polite and helpful, remembered our names and room numbers and generally made us feel at home. Housekeeping, too, was great. When I inadvertently left (by Mauritian standards) a large sum of cash in the pocket of a shirt I sent to the laundry, housekeeping brought the money back in a flash, and this was typical of the level of service. I really did feel looked after.

After a very short time in this hotel, I felt at home - I would recommend it to most business travellers."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of September 2008

Fair Deal

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"I stayed here for three days on a business trip. The hotel is not large (only 100 rooms) and there is no elevator. You may need to walk for a floor or so to reach your room.
The standard room I stayed in is clean, average size, and with separate bathtub and shower. As said in previous reviews, you have to pay for bottled water and tea/coffee. The lack of broadband internet access is really a major issue, especially for business traveller. The pillows is of low quality. However, I found the bed linen, towels, etc to be clean and in good conditions.
There is a unattended pool and man-made beach. I really have no much interest on those as they are facing a working port in the capital city. This is never a resort hotel anyway, so why bother.
The staff is helpful and politeful. The breakfast buffet did not have a great variety, but they are well-prepared and kept warm. A good start for the day. The atmosphere of the restaurant and bar is good. However I cannot comment on the food because I never have my meal there. The room service menu only have 3 mains to choose from, I think it would be better to give customer more choices.
There is much more choice of restaurants, food court and bars on Caudan Waterfront. Just hop on the water taxi outside the bar to go there. The short boat ride takes only 20 seconds or so and you seldom need to wait. On the Waterfront is the sister hotel Labourdonnais, where you can use the facilities there."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of June 2007

Hotel good - rest of country not so good

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"We stayed at the hotel over Xmas & New Year 2006/7 for 2 weeks. The hotel itself was very nice, clean, fresh and bright. The rooms were spacious and quite comfortable. Staff both at reception and in the bar/restaurants were very friendly and helpful, and the bar staff arranged for us to have a picnic basket prepared for a fishing trip leaving at 5.30am, despite only booking it the previous evening.

Apart from the hotel, we found our stay in Mauritius quite disappointing, and we felt quite guilty at times when we discovered that the bar staff are only paid £0.50GBP per hour, and the chambermaids/waiters even less!

There was a lovely little town to the North called Grand Baie, which is very much a tourist area. There are quite a few nice bars, restaurants and shops to be found there, but watch out for the man that walks around the streets with his trousers down!

Other than that, the majority of the country was very poor, and people often lived in run down houses, and some even in tin sheds they had constructed themselves. Large amounts of rubbish line the streets, expecially in Port Louis.

Some of the beach resorts were fantastic, and i would definitely recommend one of those if you like to "fly & flop" while doing very little else. One of the nicest resorts we came across was called "Belle Mare" and the staff there were friendly, polite and thorough.

The weather in Mauritius is fantastic, even during cyclone season, although it tends to get a bit windy with random flash downpours (Dec-Apr)."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of January 2007

The hotel was absolutely fantastic and i...

Reviewed Fri 12th of January 2007

"The hotel was absolutely fantastic and i would recommend to anyone traveling to Mauritius. The location meant that there were minimal numbers of mosquitoes, and we were only bitten twice during our 2 week stay (compared to several dozen a friend staying in a resort received).

The Caudan Waterfront offers several bars and restaurants, many of which are very good. The pizza hut left a lot to be desired. the service was appalling, with courses arriving mixed up and at random intervals. Port Louis itself is a very dirty town, with rubbish piled high on almost every street. Chinatown (recommended in the Lonely Planet Guide) is ridiculously filthy.

Outside of Port Louis, almost all of the towns are dirty and most people live in run-down housing or riddly-tin shacks. The coastal views, however, are breathtaking, and the towns of Pereybere and Grand Baie (practically joined) are wonderful, with lovely beaches and nice restaurants. Trou aux Biches is also nice for a quieter time. Mauritius is ideally suited to the sort of people who can go on a holiday to a resort and spend the majority of their time at the bar/pool/beach as there is little else to do.

Water sports are available, especially in the North of the island, including big game fishing. The Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Gardens at Pamplemousses are a must see!"

• Travel date: Fri 12th of January 2007

Wouldn't stay again

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We stayed for 4 days, my husband on business, I for pleasure. The hotel is older but has been redecorated so the gerenal atmosphere is bright and fresh.

The room was pretty basic, though clean & bright. The bed wasn't very comfortable and the pillows old, thin & lumpy, even after requesting newer/better pillows, we were give 2 more just as bad. The quilt cover was torn & repaired (badly). The towels are old, thin and hard. The mini-bar was locked - but was opened on request. As mentioned in earlier posts water is all charged for - as is the tea/coffee in the room - a first for us! There wasn't even milk provided (UHT or fresh!) just powder creamer.

We travel a lot but this was the first hotel where we could not get an iron & board to the room - we had to pay to get clothes pressed.

A major inconvenience (for a hotel that promotes itself as a business hotel particularly) is lack of broadband internet - only dial-up available in room. There are two tables in the business centre and they are very much in demand.

Breakfast buffet was disappointing. The juice was not fresh and overall selection limited. The food was not kept hot by the bain maries so we asked to have our eggs freshly cooked each morning. While there were plenty of staff they seemed more interested in chatting than serving.

The pool and man-made beach is a little bit away from the hotel - towels are left on the sun-beds but no staff service the area. An ipod or similar is recommended though as its very noisy, overlooking a working port. Despite reception telling me there is a pool bar - there is not! So be prepared to bring your drink down from the hotel bar with you. I spent several hours by the pool, but brought down a bucket of ice and several large bottles of water to save going back & forth.

The pool was full of leaves & ash from nearby cane burning, so I asked if one of the many staff wandering around the garden/hotel could clean it. An hour later when no-one had appeared I asked to see the manager - he informed me that only gets done first thing in the morning. So I asked if he could at least turn on the filter. He did eventually send someone who scraped a few top leaves off but didnt clear the leaves/ashes that had settled on the bottom of the pool.

The water taxi service across to the waterfont is frequent and you can use the facilities at the sister hotel there, Lebordonais. However the gym there doesnt have a treadmill - the one thing we both like to use! Note that the shops & markets close about 5/5.30pm.

Overall, if required to stay in Port Louis for business for a few nights, consider staying in one of the resort hotels and travelling into town."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of October 2006

Good Hotel

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"This is a good hotel. We had a Junior Suite which was beautiful. The staff were very helpful. The restaurant offered good food and good service both at a surprisingly good price. I found the room service menu fine - 3 starters, 3 main, 3 puds, and the food was delivered quickly. Agree with the earlier review however - it would have been good to have a free bottle of water and tea/coffee.

Overall though highly recommend - enjoy your stay!"

• Travel date: Wed 28th of June 2006

Great Hotel for Business trips

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"I stayed at this hotel for 10 days in December 2005. It is very clean, bright, and feels very new in terms of fresh decor and furnishings. The staff at reception are extremely helpful - they found me a scuba dive school who would take me diving on a Sunday, and also arranged a taxi to take me to a local Catholic Church in time for Sunday mass. Nothing was too much trouble. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, with good choice of tv channels - although the room service menu was very limited to 3 choices, so they could perhaps improve on that aspect, as well as offer free bottled water in the rooms - you had to pay mini bar prices. The bar and restaurant both served good food. Friday night was noisy and lively - the rest of the time was very quiet. There is a small pool and man made beach which is ideal for sunbathing if you get time off. They also offered a shuttle bus to their sister hotel across the marina which we used to go to the waterfornt shops and bars a few times - it runs until midnight. Overall, a good, comfortable, clean and friendly hotel - ideal for short business trips."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of December 2005

Clean, Comfortable, Friendly

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2012

"I stayed in Le Suffren for four days during a business trip to Mauritius.

The hotel is situated at the edge of Port Louis, the island's capital, about 10 minutes walk from the main centre at the harbour. When I was there the free water bus across the short stretch of water separating the hotel from the centre wasn't working, but they had a normal bus on duty instead.

The hotel itself is clean and tidy, the rooms spacious and it all feels pretty clean and new, and very bright with huge windows looking out.

The staff are incredibly helpful - phoning around a number of car hire firms for me when their usual supplier had nothing available, collecting and delivering laundry very quickly indeed.

The restaurant serves really nice food, and looking out onto the harbour it's a very nice setting.

Overall the only real problem is with the hotel being separate from the rest of the city centre - but as a comfortable base for exploring the island and seeing the sights of Port Louis you would go far wrong."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of December 2005