About Veranda Pointe aux Biches Hotel

• babysitting
  • adult pool

Point Aux Biches

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"My sister & I decided to take a holiday for some Rest & recuperation and I must say that we were most impressed with our stay at Point Aux Biches.
The staff were AMAZING and nothing was too much trouble for them.
We met some lovely people and were accomodated in every way.
For an afforable holiday, I would certainly reccommend this wonderful three star hotel.
We had wonderful evenings with stunning entertainment, and the food was out of this world.
Again fantastic value for money - Loved their barefoot policy!!!!! Well done guys for a truly memorable holiday.
Kind regards
Deborah Campbell and Theresa Marsh"

• Travel date: Tue 1st of May 2007

Lovely holiday, great hotel

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Myself and my wife have just returned from 10 days at this hotel and have had a great time. I would recommend this hotel for couples and families who are looking for a relaxing holiday in a friendly place. The food was sometimes limited to chicken and fish as the only 2 meats but I did not find this a problem as I am a big fan of fish dishes and these were spot on, the rooms were really nice and I would say they are better quality than Sandals, the staff were really friendly (especially the lads at the bar ) and the management would often sit and talk to you on a night. The pool and beach were great although the sand is a litlle sharp, the spa is a lovely place and we had a couple massage around 5 o'clock just as the sun was setting which was the perfect ending on our last night. We also ventured out to the horse racing track which was great and to the banana bar in grand bay which has a great italian resturaunt at the side of it, all in all a great holiday and I would recommend this hotel to anyone."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of April 2007

Lovely place & lovely people!

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"We really enjoyed our two weeks at the hotel. We liked the elegant, tasteful deco and the informal atmosphere. The food was good with plenty of choice and the staff could not have been more helpful and friendly.
They were busy repairing the slight damage caused by the cyclone which we missed, thank goodness.
There was a varied programme of entertainment which was all of a high standard. The drinks provided in our all inclusive package were plentiful and great.
As mentioned in a previous report the sand was a little sharp but what do you expect with a coral reef 50 yards of shore.
There was a great mixture of nationalities at the hotel all of which spoke English.
We would recommend the hotel as excellent value for money."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of March 2007

A lovely Hotel to rest and relax in beautiful surroundings.

Reviewed Fri 23rd of November 2012

"I have just had 10 days at the hotel and would recommend it to everyone. The buldings are clean and very well furnished to suit the position by the beach.
The bedrooms are clean and very well designed with large double bed, and beautiful views out to sea over the gardens. They are cleaned daily and new towels are left both for the room and the sunbeds daily.
The pool is cleaned evry day and has enough room around it for sunbeds with sahde if required.
The beach also has thatched umberrellas and sunbeds and you don't have to fight to have one for the day.
The beach is cleaned daily and swimming is safe in the area by the beach inside the reef.
The food is very good indeed and is buffet style and has sufficient choice for even the really fussy eaters.
The staff are very friendly and helpful and we found that they were always too happy to help you at any time of the day.
We were "All inclusive" and did not have any problems about being served the wrong drink (i.e. Chargeable) and the choice was no problem at all.
The "bare foot" policy was a nice touch as most of the ground in and around the hotel was sandy, and evryone just relaxed and enjoyed their stay.
I can honestlky say that we did not hear anyone complain while we were there and it was nice to meet new people from France, Netherlands, as well as other countries in the hotel.
This hotel should be 4 star not 3, and we would say go and enjoy it as it's wonderful."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of March 2007

Absolutely Fantastic

Reviewed Fri 23rd of November 2012

"This property has just undergone a refurb. In all the brochures you'll find it's rated at 3 star. I would honesty say it should be a 4 star.

From the moment you walk in the resort, the grounds are beautiful. They encourage a "no shoes" policy and make you take your shoes off upon arrival. The resort is sandy throughout giving it a natural on the beach effect without having to actually go on the beach.

The rooms are very very well presented. All have either a balcony or terrace. We stayed in one of the standard rooms (there isnt much difference between standard and superior) the standard rooms have a large queen bed and in a seperate room is a bunkbed. Rooms are beautifully decorated (even to the point of them making swans and flowers out of the towels - towel origami!) with petals on the bed.

The resort is on it's own private beach. The beach once has lots of rocks which made it unsafe to swim in the ocean, however they have cleared all of the rocks out of the bay and have used them to create x 3 small islands which can be swam out too - the beach is stunning and the water is very calm.

There is a day spa / massage parlour in the resort which isn't too expensive. You can get a full body massage for 1,200 rupee (equiv AUD50 / GBP22) they even give you a chakra reading which is included in the price.

The food is fantastic - buffett style.

Full of Europeans, not very many aussies there (being from australia) mainly french people there.

The staff are extremely friendly and cannot help you enough.

All in all this is a fantastic resort. I also stayed at legends and this place although was lovely, didn't have the same welcoming feeling that Pointe Aux Biches did. (pronounced Point Oh Beesh)"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of March 2007

Lovely Hotel but Nothing Special

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"Stayed at the Pointe Aux Biches Hotel during Feb 2007,origionally booked into the Coin De Mire Hotel but offered a so called upgrade because of over booking (apparently this happens a lot)
The Hotel is situated about 7 Km outside Grand Baie in a quiet area but on a sometimes busy road.
The Hotel reception is very impressive an unusual but delightful combination of white sand and dark wood floors really set you at ease and feel relaxed.
The room I stayed in was excellent it was cleaned every day to a very high standard with flowers left in various places and the towels made into swan designs. The grounds are well kept but the pool was in need of a good clean.
The beach looked lovely but the sand wasn't very deep and once into the sea it sooned turned into black mud which clouded the water.
Breakfast was excellent but the evening meal was a bit dissapointing,the food looked great but on many occasions was tasteless and cold also lacking viarety,the bar prices were a bit pricey considering the prices in the local supermarkets.
Unfortunately we had two items stolen from outside our ground floor room and heard of other people suffering the same fate so be careful!"

• Travel date: Wed 21st of February 2007

Picturesque but with some problems

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"The hotel is not in a busy resort although on a road that is quite busy during the day but fairly quiet at night. Regarding staff, you get the impression that they know what they should be doing to make your holiday relaxing and enjoyable but don’t always deliver. Although mostly friendly, a few didn’t have that ‘go out of their way’ attitude to make your holiday just perfect.

Overall the setting is quite picturesque and the feeling relaxing. The hotel, Pool, Restaurant and Bar look great with the beach and sea looking very inviting. However, but there are problems.

The beach is sandy, although not that fine powdery sand you see in other parts of the island. After a few steps into the sea, the sand turns to mud squelching between your toes. It’s very cloudy, so not good for snorkelling. Further out where the sand turns to rocks it is clearer but still very shallow, even at high tide and you have the added problem of Sea Urchins. As we booked this hotel on the back of another report in Tripadvisor, saying snorkelling was good, we were really disappointed. A number of man-made islands and rock formations probably contribute to the mud like substance on the seabed and poor visibility.

Our room was lovely, spacious and clean with comfortable bed and fairly quiet at night, although some rooms in the main block were within range of what I think was a water or sewage treatment plant, which did create some noise.

The food was most disappointing, being bland, unappetising, monotonous and quite often overcooked. On our first Tuesday they served some lovely fish. The following Tuesday the same fish dish was extremely overcooked and virtually inedible, as were most rice dishes. Guests were kept waiting on numerous occasions for replenishment of some of the dishes, while food already on their plates was left to go cold. We chose to eat out at another restaurant on a few occasions – try ‘La Cravache D’or’ a 7 or 8 minutes walk away. This Restaurant served first class meals with excellent service as well as very romantic setting overlooking the floodlit bay. The waiters were also very entertaining.

Back to the Hotel restaurant, hygiene is not one of their strong points. On one occasion I picked up a plate from the warming area to find it was still greasy (which was quite normal). When I put this down to pick up the next plate in the stack I found it still had a piece of meat on it, not cleaned off by the dishwasher. The restaurant is open air with a thatch roof. At breakfast, butter was left open on tables for some of the many birds to peck at and flies to sit on before guests arrive. Mayonnaise is left out for several hours before being consumed. We think this contributed to the food poisoning picked up by my partner. As we had both eaten identical meals (except mayonnaise and the pasta dish) we don’t think it could have been anything else. When reported to the Reception desk staff they didn’t really want to know. We also reported this to the Tour Rep who told us the Manager would discuss the matter with us. Needless to say this didn’t happen. I also witnessed the person cooking the omelettes wiping her nose on her sleeve and had to put up with waiters with extremely bad BO. All in all an unpleasant experience that shouldn’t be that difficult to sort out.

There is a nice walk along the coast to the Troux Aux Biches Hotel where you can get a cold beer (40 minute walk). There is also another great beach a bit further along called Mon Choisi, where at the far end close to the Club Med Hotel there is reasonable snorkelling and lovely powdery sand. Return taxi journey about £4.

Some web sites state the Spa opens in November 2007, however, there is a pleasant Spa on site where you can get an excellent massage.

If you’re not fussy about poor food hygiene, limited food and murky water, this hotel is for you. Not us though, we won’t be going back."

• Travel date: Sat 10th of February 2007

Wonderful Hotel Great Staff

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"I travelled to Mauritius in January 2007 and stayed at the Pointe Aux Biches hotel.

Our flights were from London via Paris using Air Mauritius on the way out and Air france on the way back. I was a bit nervouse about flying with Air Mauritius as I had heard some unpleasant stories and read bad reviews but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. They used an Airbus 340. The seat pitch is better than a lot of European airlines like BA and I found the seats quite comfortable. The service and meals are not 100% but overall it's not a bad little airline.

Immigration proceedures took quite a while when we arrived. I think this was because there was 2 Air Mauritius flights, 1 Air France and a British Airways flight arriving all at the same time.

We hired a car and drove to the hotel which I would not recommend as it is such a long drive after that flight and I found that places were not clearly signed.

The hotel gives an excellent first impression. Very open airy reception and the staff ask you to go and sit on one of the sofa's while they prepare all of your paper work, so you can have a drink and start to relax from the very beginning of your holiday. After all of this you are invited to take off your shoes and one of the staff pours water over your feet and blesses you as a welcome to the resort. A bit cheesey but a nice touch for some people I guess!!

The rooms are fantastic. They are very big and have pretty much everything you need in there. Huge shower area and very clean.

We were on the ground floor and found that there was no noise in the evening to disturb your sleep.

The pool area of the hotel is really well designed and looks great, although we didn't use the bar it looks really niec as well.

The restaurant is open and overlooks the beach which is lovely in the evening for dinner. The food I thought was not fantastic. Quite plain, but enough to fill you up.

Breakfast is great, fresh fruit, cereal, bacon, fried eggs or omlette and toast, so something for everyone really.

The beach at the hotel was dissapointing. I was expecting to find powdery sandy beahces in Mauritius but the sand was very grainy and didn't have a nice feel to it. When you go into the water it feels like mud under your feet.

I found this to be the same at the other beaches we visited on the island.

Overall if on the off chance I ever find myself in Mauritius again i would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again. As we didn't drink alcohol on this trip we decided to stay on a half board basis which was great, however if you are planning on having a drink while you're there you might want to consider all inclusive as the booze did look quite expensive."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of January 2007

hassels galore!

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"Beautiful location and lovely looking resort, however huge problems with staff. Each day at this resort a new problem arose, whether it was needing to get our toilet fixed (it did not flush) or getting the lock on our door fixed (which did not lock), nothing was done about it. Booking were lost, planned activities did not exist and staff were quite rude. We were constantly charged for things that were meant to be 'included' or that we has aready paid for, and had to constantly be asking staff to correct these problems. Go to Mauritus and enjoy this lovely island but do not stay at this resort! Stay in Grande Bay perhaps - Royal Palm resort looked nice."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of January 2007

Great staff, excellent hotel

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"Stayed at this hotel last June and the hotel was absolutely fantastic. Very clean rooms with a very clean private beach. Clear water perfect for snorkelling. The staff are very very friendly and helpful. We were told that the hotel was in the process of being upgraded to a 4-star so it should improve even more, with access to two private beaches."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of April 2006