one step from heaven

Reviewed Mon 17th of May 2010

"Arrived at this hotel with an open mind after reading lots of mixed reviews. However, I am more than pleased to say that this hotel is fabulous.Staff were lovely,always happy to go the extra mile and always with a smile. Spectacular views of the gardens,beach and turquoise Ocean from the spacious Deluxe room. AC was very welcome and quiet!!! as well as the overhead fans,in the heat of the night.Food was goood,plentiful,varied,fresh and enjoyable in the 180 restaurant.The other restaurants had to be booked but didn`t seem all that really. Drinks are very expensive, most people had bottled water to drink at dinner,didn`t see any bottles of wine on the tables!!! The pool was very nice,towels provided from the boathouse on the beach.Pool bar,food and drink available but again expensive,have a big late breakfast that will last you till dinner in the evening if you are on half board!!! It worked for me!!!One disappointment for me was that swimming in the sea was difficult,this was due to the presence of lots of Coral,good idea to take some shoes that can be worn in the sea,which is good to know beforehand.I will definately go back to the Meridien,if you go, you will enjoy!! Happy holidays to you"

• Travel date: Fri 14th of May 2010

If you want all out luxury, to be waited...

Reviewed Thu 17th of May 2007

"If you want all out luxury, to be waited on hand and foot, your own beach, fantastic views, fabulous food, opulent surroundings - the Prince Maurice is for you.

This fantastic hotel far surpasses that of any 5 star hotels that I have ever stayed in. Our room was a luxurious hut suspended in the beautiful lakes surrounding the hotel. Luxurious beds, fresh flowers in your bedroom every night - a dream.

The food is second to none, with buffet food from kitchens serving cuisine from all over the world, from local Mauritian food, to Italian, French, Chinese, English - anything was possible and never too much trouble.

The waiters and hotel staff were fabulous, well mannered, courteous, willing to go that extra mile to make you feel really special.

Overall, a truly magnificent hotel, well worth a trip - honeymoon quality - the things dreams are made of."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of May 2007

The staff at this hotel provided one of...

Reviewed Tue 19th of December 2006

"The staff at this hotel provided one of the best holidays we have had, this is high praise indeed as we rarely do package holidays. They could not do enough for you.

The rooms were extremely large, the bathroom was twice the size of mine at home and kept very clean.

The food was excellent with a wide choice of restaurants from the buffet to our favourite La Faya - extremely fine dining and the menu changed nightly.

Our only gripe about the dining was the number of surcharges in the Seafood restaurant.

Beach was kept clean and although vendors were on beach no-one was harassed as I have seen in the Caribbean.

The whole island is welcoming and safe and I would thoroughly recommend the inland tour we did.

We will definitely return."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of December 2006

Paradise!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Everything was absolutely brill! The staff were sooo friendly and very hospitable. Not only in the hotel but everywhere in mauritius! We were on our honeymoon and i would definitely recommend it! Definitely go on the excursions - and it's cheaper to buy it from the people on the beach rather than booking with hotel.

The rooms in the hotel were amazing and very clean! People there work really hard an appreciate everything. The only downfall was the food. The beauty of the hotel, beach and gardens made up for it though! The food was edible and sometimes very nice however as a whole, we didn't really look forward to dinner time. breakfast was great!

Shells was the best!! top quality! And we ate on the beach. La faya was ok on certain nights however a bit tight with their portions! Lunch was a bit crap to (i definitely do not recomment the toasted sandwich!! eat the chicken burger!). We were half board and the prices were really expensive if you wanted drink and lunch. E.g. was about £9 for a burger and fries. and it wasn't even that nice!

The hotel is in the middle of no where and i would recommend it for honeymooners cuz it was a quiet and a peaceful place! no kids!! fantastic!

I def recommend trip with dolphins and you have to see grand bay beach!! get a cab there. so beautiful! only about 10 min drive away. we went in september and the weather wasn't great. i like extreme heat, so if you don't like extreme heat, then it is ideal weather. got cold at night. when the sun was out, it was very warm but we had a few cloudy days. still got a good tan though!

it's a brill place to go and the hotel is paradise! and they really do treat you like kings and queens!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 30th of September 2006

Fantastic Hotel 9th Sept - 20th Sept 2006

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Like many other reviewers, we stayed at the Le Meridien Hotel for our honeymoon.
The place was amazing. The welcome was relaxed and friendly, with check-in being done over a cocktail.
We had booked a honeymoon suite, which was beautiful. Huge living room, massive bedroom (with a DVD surround sound system) and lovely bathroom with big double jacuzzi bath, and seperate walk in shower. The DVD was really great, as one afternoon as it rained the whole time you could borrow a DVD from the hotel for free. Not the biggest selection, but a lovely touch.
Service - was fantastic throughout. We were All Inclusive, and it was great not to have to think about the cost of drinks etc. Waiting staff on the beach to bring you drinks, in fact all the waiting staff in the various restaurants and bars were extremely friendly & helpful.
The quality of food in speciality restaurants was amazing (French, seafood & Indian buffet). The main buffet we only ate in once in the evening - it waqs an oceans & rivers theme, and was suprisingly good for mass food. You do need to book in advance for the french & seafood restaurants, but one phone call is hardly taxing. You can also go to these restaurants at lunch time, which was great.
We did have a problem with our room on the fourth night of our stay - and we were swiftly moved to a royal suite which was incredible. To be seen to be believed! (Plasma screen, spiral staircase leading to mezzanine level bedroom etc. etc.)
We'd highly recomend this hotel - & well worth the extra money for a honeymoon suite."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of September 2006

Bad food

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"We have just returned from our honeymoon. I have stayed in many hotels across the world and I have to say you won't beat this one in terms of setting. Stunning would sum it up. The service was also very, very good although I would have three main complaints.
1. If I have a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the outside of the room I do not expect a phone call from the room attendant to ask if he can clean the room. This happened Four times in total & twice in one day when we were both unwell due to bad food the night before.
2. When eating at the restaurants I was left with out wine in my glass one quite a few occasions. Now I don't care about that at all. I will quite happily top my own wine up from the bottle left in the ice bucket. But every time I done it I would have a waiter running across the restaurant grabbing the bottle out of my hand telling me that he will get in trouble if I'm seen doing it my self. Now that's fair enough if they bothered to look to see when your glass is empty. 14/14 nights I had a waiter telling me not to top my own wine up but 14/14 nights I had an empty glass for over ten Mins.
3. In the Bay view bar in the evening the staff will always tell you to sit down, they will bring the drinks over to the table. On a busy evening this can be terrible idea as they simply forget about the order.

The other main complaint we had to our surprise was the food. Shells (seafood) & la faya (french) were very very good although you would have to book them a night in advance at least. But the main Buffet restaurant 180 was very good for breakfast but I have to say it served some of the worst food I have ever eaten in the evenings. Food prepared on a mass scale such as this always causes concern for me and this is it on a grand scale. Burgers with big lumps of gristle I mean big lumps as well. Fish not cooked properly, Cold chips, Chicken kept heated for long periods of time, Fish paella with Pork mmmmm... the list goes on and the inevitable happened. We both got unwell.

Over all nice place, good service bad buffet food in the evening. We used to dread meal times at this place"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

Had an amazing time!

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"We stayed in Le meridien Ile Maurice for 12 days from 22nd Aug to 2nd September for our honeymoon and had an amazing time!
From the moment we arrived, we were in awe of the fantastic lobby area and were able to relax while we filled in our details and had everything explained to us as we sipped a complimentary cocktail!

Our room was really big even though it was the supposed to be the bog standard deluxe suite, and fully equipped with everything that we needed. It was cleaned twice a day and in the evening, the room attendent left us presents (towel animals, scattered petals, chocolates on our pillows etc) and when we thanked him, he informed us that he just wanted us to have an amazing time!
The view from our balcony over the sea and pool was incredible as we always had a perfect spot to watch the Mauritian sunset from (all rooms are sea facing). Our only regret when it came to the room was that we could not be upgraded - we were on the list as part of the honeymoon package, but the hotel was fully booked and full of honeymooners, so it didn't happen. To be honest though, we were heving such a good time that we didn't really think about that until after we had left!

The food was delicious and there was always copious amounts especially at 180 the main buffet restaurant, where yet again, the staff would go out of their way to ensure that you were happy and satisfied. We were even told by one waitress that we were the king and queen and that there was no need to thank her!
We ate at La Croque for lunch often which was always nice, and sometimes had lunch at Shells which was delicious (although I hate cats and there were two strays that often hung around waiting for food due to some weird guests thought that it was a good idea to feed them from their plates). At night time we ate at Cumin once which was okay (not huge curry fans!) But Shells and La Faya (booked in advance) were amazing for dinner, and we always enjoyed the food and the view and the sound of the sea lapping at the shore while we ate. The honeymoon dinner at Shells was gorgeous and although they had made a mistake and printed a special keepsake menu for us in Spanish (which we weren't really bothered about) they had another one printed in English and one of the waiters went out of his way to ensure that we got it a couple of days later!
We would recommend going all inclusive as we didn't spend any money on food or drink and consumed huge amounts of both! There are not that many supplements on the menus, even though some reviewers have claimed otherwise, and all are marked clearly so there can be no mistakes made.

The pool, beach and water sports are enough to keep you busy during the day and several sports are lined up to ensure that you have lots to do such as beach volleyball, football, petanque etc - we didn't leave the hotel at all for the first week! You don't have to rush down in the mornings as, despite being fully booked, we never had to search for any sunbeds and you get free towels as well! Drinks are bought to you by the pool or the beach as there are always staff on hand to order from (we were told that there is a staff to guest ratio of 4 staff to every one guest, not sure if this is right but it seemed like it!) Once again, the entertainment and sports staff were very friendly and also very good at their job! We played some of the sports which meant that we became friendly with other guests and staff - it is worth joining in.
During the second part of our honeymoon we did venture out! We did the submarine trip, under sea walk (amazing - fish bowl on your head) and two catamaran cruises (dolphins and Ile Aux Cerfs - Mauritius' paradise beach), we would recommend all of these.

The entertainment in the evening at the bay view bar was always good - the rage band were excellent and we always enjoyed ourselves. We went through the entire cocktail menu asking for all the all inclusive ones and these were delicious! Once we had drank our fair share of those, the bar staff were happy to concoct new ones for us and, as ever, were extremely friendly and made sure that only all inclusive spirits were used!

The spa was also good, although we didn't take full advantage of this as we only had our free duo massage and a quick stint in the sauna and jacuzzi as it was raining!

Overall we had the trip of a lifetime, which is what a honeymoon is meant to be! You can't ask for more than that!"

• Travel date: Thu 21st of September 2006

Lovely relaxing holiday

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"We stopped at the Le Meridien Ile Maurice from the 18th August to the 2nd September

We are a family with two young children aged 3 and 8. We stayed in a deluxe room and were fortunate enough to be allocated a ground floor room which was perfect for our needs. The room was nicely decorated, the only think I could say to its detriment was that the towels and bed linen are looking a bit ‘tired’ but the sheets are changed daily so they always smell fresh and the towels once or twice daily, depending on your needs. The rooms are cleaned daily including sweeping and dusting. We ate at all of the restaurants, predominantly at the 180 degree as its buffet, and is better for the children. We found the food to be of a good standard, with lots of choice, and a themed menu that rotates weekly. The rivers and seas themed night was particularly good if you like seafood, they served oysters and sea urchin and lots of other delicious fish and prawns.

We ate at La Faya once, and found the atmosphere to be too quiet for us as a family, probably more geared up to honeymooners and couples, but the food was excellent. The nirvana rooms and pool are next door to it, this is a newer wing again I feel more for couples and honeymooners, as the rooms are a bit smaller. Our favourite restaurant by far was Shells which serves a limited but delicious menu. We were half board and all restaurants were included in the package, the a la carte restaurants have certain elements which cost extra, but these are clearly marked on the menu. Please beware that even the all inclusive package attracts quite a lot of supplements in the restaurants, no different to us on half board. I thought that the cost of all inclusive was very expensive for a limited amount of extras, in fact unless you are heavy drinkers or require a large lunch I wouldn’t recommend it. We spent just over £400 on lunches and drinks but are not drinkers. The food within the hotel is expensive, eg £8 for a cheeseburger, but the breakfasts are so good we didn’t want lunch, the children had a light lunch every day but I was happy with a smoothie.

The hotel beach is lovely, there is some coral mixed in the sand but as the hotel sits directly on a coral reef which is perfect for snorkelling I think the benefits outweigh this. The facilities within the hotel are free, make use of the glass bottomed boat and pedalloes which are good fun. We went on three excursions, one on a catamaran and were lucky enough to see wild dolphins, this sails from black river and I would recommend it. We also went on the blue safari submarine, which in my personal opinion was overpriced, we didn’t see anything unusual or that you won’t see at the hotel in the glass bottomed boat. We also went to the crocodile park on the south of the island which was a very good value trip out.

The people of Mauritius are lovely, friendly and appreciate the fact you are in their country for a holiday. The staff in the hotel are the same, nothing is too much trouble for them, they truly make you feel spoiled.

The kids club is good, but has limited staff and facilities, we used it mainly in the evening, when the children can have an early dinner at 6pm and then go off to play for a couple of hours. Overall our stay in Mauritius was a lovely one, the weather was mixed -as it’s a tropical island the conditions change almost hourly, and also its winter there currently. You can expect lots of cloud and it’s quite windy, but the sun is very hot when it’s out so this is quite pleasant. As one of the locals said to us ‘when there is wind there is no rain’ and he was right! I would definitely recommend the hotel and the island as a lovely relaxing holiday; we would go back, possibly in their spring."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of September 2006

A chilly reception but thawed out in the end.

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"We travelled here as the second part of our honeymoon. First impressions, visually, of the hotel were stunning, a feat of architecture.

However, our recpetion was marred by a moody check -in, carried out by one member of staff. We had been travelling for 12hours, had been delayed and arrived 1 1/2 hours late. We were thrown a form to fill in and not welcomed with the same manner in which we had been in the previous hotel. We had to ask about All inclusive limits. The room was not ready and there was a private party going on outside our room that evening which were not informed about, when all we wanted to do was sleep.

That said, all the other members of staff were pleasant and helpful so we just informed our travel rep. She told the general manager and we got a free massage out of it. My advice, if something is wrong compain, what harm can it do?

After some sleep the situation seemed better and all the staff were much more gushing next day. As part of the honeymoon, we recieved a duo massage (different from the free one given as compensation) and a special honeymoon dinner at Shells. You have to book for this restuarant and my advice is book it for anyday apart from Monday and Wednesday. It is lobster night on these nights and you don't get to sit on the beach, any other night you do, so we had children surrounding us, but they moved us when i said i was a teacher on my honeymoon and didn't relish the thought of hearing winging children that evening.

Weather- it is winter there so don't expect hightemperatures and blue sky everyday. We had about 50% CLEAR SKY DAYS AND 50% cloudy and some days of rain. The hotel give you a weather forecast the night before but it was never right. The sun still penetrates through the cloud and we got burnt using factor 25 in cloud so be careful.

Food- i was a bit surpirsed by the reviews saying that 180* restuarant was not good. We found that due to booking limitations in the other restuarants we had to eat there a lot. However, the only foo they didn't do well was the Chinese buffet. That could have been because we were in Singapore previously. They had a wide range of buffet including, French, Meditteranean, Fish, Mauritian and Indian.

Cumin is a buffet too, serving authentic Indian food, go here instead of the indian buffet in 180*, less choice in cumin bu fab curries.

La Faya you need to book for. The food was limited in choice so we only went once. But it was delicious if a bit nouveux cuisine.

Shells was by far the best. Good choice, clearly stating what needed paying extra (we were on all inclusive) so i was surprised to read that some travellers didn't know there was a supplement for some items. The plates were huge and tasty. The best one.

For snacks La Croque had a good range some were better than others bu good if you're on All inclusive and you want a late snack.

My advice is to read te menus carefuly items not included in the All Inclusive package are marked (*) but it was strange that you could get charged if you ate outside the meal times, so be careful.

The room staff are lovely and made us a swan out of towels and scattered rose petals everywhere on a couple of occasions as we were on honeymoon. They were also very friendly. The rooms were cleaned well and they change the towels twice a day. Once in the day when they remake your room and second at about 7-8pm. When they turn down the bed ready to sleep, leave a daily itinerary and a chocolate on your pillow. Nice touch.

The Spa was fantastic and definately go for the duo massage, then complain and get a free one and book a third treatment. I had an exotic coconut ritual - yummy. The spa is so relaxing with fabulous staff. There is also a Gym, sauna, jacuzzi, steamroom all at your disposal.

Entertainment - something for everyone but the same program week after week so 2 weeks of the same stuff may be a bit much. We only did 9 nights. The rage band was good. They had a bollywood night and an African night. The jazz night was fab as was the sega (Traditional Mauritian) they made you get up and learn the steps. Very good.

Safety deposit boxes - these are available in each room, so i was surprised when someone said they had money stolen. My advice - use them.

Definately visit the Pamplemousse botanical gardens but better in summer (December) and the sugar adventure (sugar and rum tasting available at the end). Port Louis was a bit of a let down with a guide as they wouldn't let you go to the central market. Definately go on your own.

There are some good shops within the hotel and a cheap shop for rum just 2 mins walk down the road.

Overall a great time."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of August 2006

Not so great!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We booked this hotel for our Honeymoon in June, we had paid for the 'All Inclusive' package as reading other reviews this seemed the most cost effective thing to do. We also booked a 'Deluxe Suite', upon arriving at the Hotel, we were informed we had a been upgraded to a Honeymoon Suite. Of course we were delighted, until we reached the room! The door was rotton, the room dirty, the plug in the Spa bath had broken, so they had fixed by using in a 4 inch screw, hence the bath did not empty, it smelt damp etc etc. Just not what we expected for a 4 star Hotel and for the money we had paid.

The next day we went to see the rep, who did get us moved to the Nirvana rooms, this room was much nicer as in a new part of the Hotel. Although, this room actually cost less than what we had paid for, so really a downgrade in our case.

Onto the food, our first night we had booked 'Shells' as we both love seafood. When we got there, we were informed that it was Lobster night, much to our delight. At last something good, Oh No this was at an additional cost £65 for the 2 of us. Not happy, we asked for the normal menu, as after paying All In, we were not prepared to pay again. To our dismay, 70% of the menu had a surcharge. Just an example, Crab Cake starter £8.00 Prawns as a main, £12.00 Seafood Plater £25.00. We were appaulled at this as there had been no mention in our brochure of additional costs, so beware. Out of all the Restaurants, La Faya is by far the best, however, it is a set menu with 3 choices for each course. We did not have a bad meal there.

The staff whilst very attentive, can become a bit too much sometimes. The location is not bad, but nothing to write home about, we did do the Catamaran cruise and saw Dolphins which was a nice day. If you are planning to visit this resort we would recommend the Nirvana rooms, over the rest of the hotel.

We will not be visiting Mauritus again, far to overated in our opinion."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of August 2006

wonderful mauritius

Reviewed Tue 4th of December 2012

"Myself and my husband have just returned from our honeymoon in Mauritius and Dubai, we stayed in the Le Meridien for eight nights and I have to say that we had a fantastic time, the hotel is absolutely amazing and the pictures on the website are replicas of the ones that we took with our digital camera, when we arrived despite being exhausted we were greeted with cocktails and everything was explained including booking our first dinner so that we could go to bed and recuperate from 28 hours of travelling. The room was a great size and they changed the bed linen twice daily, we even returned to our room one night to find petals on the bed and our towels shaped as elephants, everything about hotel and its staff shouts attention to detail and they ensure that you are not left wanting. All watersports are part of the package which saved a fortune and beach is private so you dont have to be fighting with people to get sunbeds. I cannot say enough about the french restaurant La Faya I have never tasted such beautiful food and the setting is just amazing with the waves lapping in the background while an accoustic guitarist serenaded us. Shells restaurant is also amazing with tables set out on the beach at night, if you go all inclusive you must avail of their extensive lunch menu we only realised they did lunches three days before i left but we more than made up for it!. There is also a buffet menu each night in the 180 degrees restaurant which has a different theme everynight and the choices are limitless. One thing i have to say about if you are looking to go in the summer, make sure to bring some warm clothes with you as although the afternoons can be very warm about 28 degrees the sun sets by 5pm and the temperature drops as it is their winter, i did not bring enough warm things so i ended up having to invest in a few shawls and pashminas, also we had an anti cyclone for the last three days when it lashed raining and was in fact quite chilly so you should definitely bear this mind before you leave. Mauritius is an amazing country but apart from the resorts and the capital Port Louis the rest of the country is made up of sugar cane fields and shanty towns and driving around the country through these towns is an amazing experience and well worth the trip. be sure to hire a car and travel to the south and drive back on the coast road you will never see scenery quite like this again, it truly is paradise on earth. I cant wait to go back but this time it will be in their summertime."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of August 2006

Mixed Reactions

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"We have just returned from two weeks holiday at this hotel and I must admit to having returned with mixed feelings. The setting and actual hotel were excellent, the rooms are large and well appointed. The staff are generally helpful and polite if a little too intrusive at times.
The food in the restaurants ranged from excellent in Shells and La Faya to average in the main restaurant. The food at the poolside restaurant Croque, was dreadfull and not worth the effort.
My main gripe was that we had money taken from the room (700 rupees). This was the equivalent to about £14 sterling, some left on a bedside table, the rest from a zipped section of a beach bag. We got 200 rupees back from security which the room staff had supposedly thought was a tip. Not a lot of money to lose but it left a sour taste.
Food and drink is very expensive at the hotel with only two small bottles of water provided in the room for the whole two weeks.
This is possibly also one of the noisiest hotels that I have ever stayed in,furniture being moved around at all times of the night and day. Any guest visiting in the next few weeks should also be aware that the hotel next door is undergoing a complete renovation programme at present with lots of noise during the day."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of June 2006