About Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

• babysitting

Over the Top Position compared to Service

Reviewed Wed 19th of August 2015

"Dear fellow Mauritian Visitor

The Beachcomber Franchise at this Hotel is over-exerted!
The Position is 7 Star!
The Place "Plage" is, probably best on Ile Maurice!
The Staff : Terrible, slow, disconcerted!
Ice ( Normal frozen Water) in the room is charged at "special request" at $10, delivery!!!!!
No Cork-screw! Corkage is $20 in your room!
You can buy Chataeunuef du Pape close to Super U for $30, do your Laundry @ Penguin, close by, for $20/3week, 4 Pax stay on the way.

Don't ask the duty Manager for Ice! This is Sacralitch!

Kilian
+27 82 576 2773
[email protected]
Room 253, 2 Aug 2015 - 23 Aug 2015

• Travel date: Wed 19th of August 2015

Unbelievable kindness....

Reviewed Wed 3rd of June 2015

"Wetraveled to Le Cannonier the last week of May 2015. My husband has a degenerative condition which affects his balance, so on making our reservation we requested a ground floor room to avoid to many stairs. On arrival, the hotel kindly took to our ground floor room where we spent the first night. The following morning, we realized the shower was in the bath, and tried to make a plan. The manager kindly upgraded us at NO extra cost to a room with a walk in shower. We were SO grateful, and we're prepared to try find an outside shower...., but thank you Le Cannonier!!!!! You really made our holiday comfortable and special!!!!
Mike and Noeline "

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of June 2015

Hotel was amazing, staff couldn't do eno...

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2007

"Hotel was amazing, staff couldn't do enough for you. Very clean - well worth the extra for a room with a sea view.

We went all inclusive and very glad that we did - from the map in the brochure it looked like we were close to Port Louis but the roads are pretty bad and it took 45mins- 1hr and to be honest it wasn't worth the journey - it's the main town and pretty dirty with smog. Mauritius is paradise and ideal if you want a relaxing beach holiday.

Entertainment was every night in the hotel and was brilliant, once the bar closed they had a nightclub there - but it wasn't very well attended - as I say it's a relaxing and romantic destination.

Oh the food - in the main restaurant - it was buffet style - but a tremendous amount of choice. There is another more private restaurant on the sea front but you have to pay a bit extra for it.

We got married there, and I couldn't ask for anything more - recommend booking the Sega dancers and definitely the Trio band - they really made the night - also for something extra special - have an evening meal on the beach - we had our very own chef cooking lobster and ended up with 7 courses each!! Price as part of the wedding in 2006 was £60 per head - really good value for the amount and quality of food we had.

Plenty of activities to do - watersports, tennis, pool, wonderful spa!!

Oh one tip - take your own champagne and pay corkage - typical bottle was about £60."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of November 2007

Not for honeymooners!

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"We stayed at Le Cannonier for the first 2 days of our honeymoon. The property is actually really nice, beautiful bar/pool area leading out to the beaches. The room was a regular room but it was really spacious. The food at the hotel was good, but, I imagine that it would get boring after a few days. It's unfortunate that the hotel doesn't do more to mix the flavor of the local creole food into their buffet. There was some, but, nothing like what you'll find out in town. We were bored by our second day. The staff are all really nice and quite willing and eager to help. All in all, I would say that in general it was a good place to stay, however, we wouldn't stay there again. One of our biggest problems with the hotel (not the hotel's fault obviously) were the number of children there. Everywhere we turned there were kids. Our bad for not noticing the "Nice family hotel" part of their website. Oh, actually, we were a bit thrown off that the only food the hotel offers between 4 and 6? or something like that is crepes. No sandwiches or anything.

Hidden secrets about staying here - For some excellent, authentic creole food, walk out the main gate about 1/4km, probably much less than that, and get food from the blue snack stand. We got food twice from there and brought it back to the pool bar area to snack on while enjoying some local beer. It was really cheap (you'll see tons of locals flock there from taxi cab drivers to people on bikes). Not for the weak of stomach, there is no such thing with the guy who runs it regarding sanitation. He was not afraid to use his fingers. We thought it added to the experience. The guy really was very nice and a tasty cook, I recommend fried noodles. if you can take it, get some chili with it - that and a cold beer, way good!

Head to the food stalls at Port Louis for more good (and super cheap) eats. Not much else in the town that really grabbed our attention. The market is great to look at all of the fresh veggies and fruits. We bought a couple of home made spices (a red one and a green one) and brought them on the rest of our trip and then back home. No refrigeration necessary.

We took a taxi on our last night there to Grand Baie, maybe a result of the fact it was a Thursday, but, the place was dead. We thought maybe it would kick off later at night - Nope. When we got back to the hotel we headed to the hotel "club/disco"... It's open between 11PM and 1? or so - It was absolutely dead. There were 2 other couple's there.

If you're with your children, it looked like they had tons of kids activities. If you want a romantic getaway, probably want to look elsewhere or find out when school holidays are."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of November 2006

The most expensive cup of tea ever!!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We were in Mauritius for a friend's wedding & stayed at Le Cannonier for 2 nights. The hotel amenities and rooms were OK if not a little spartan. If you are looking for a secluded getaway then this is not the place to come. The pools and beaches were crowded with package tourists and swarms of children. We requested a late checkout and offered to pay for the privilage however this was not possible as the next guests for our room were already downstairs waiting for us to leave. There is a constant turnover of arrivals and departures here.

We had also requested that the hotel reconfirm our onward flights however this was not done as promised. I asked why and was told that the staff didn't understand what I had said. (It appears that the staff say "yes" whenever they don't understand).

Finally a warning about that refreshing cup of tea or coffee in your room of a morning...it's not complimentary....they charge you for the entire box of tea and coffee even if you only use one teabag."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of October 2006

Loved Le Canonnier! Lisa Johannesburg South Africa

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"My husband and I went to Le Canonnier for 1 week of bliss to celebrate my 40th birthday. We went on our own, leaving kids at home as we wanted a romantic holiday! We had a delux sea facing room almost at the end of the hotel which was 30 steps from the water - heaven! Room was clean and neat with a mini bar and fresh milk in fridge for morning coffee. We took the all inclusive package, a good idea as drinks etc are very expensive otherwise. Breakfast was great, pancakes were very good at breakfast as they came straight of the griddle, but I must agree with 1 travelor who said in the afternoon they were not good as they came to you cold (breakfast left overs?) with very little filling. Lunch and dinner were good overall and Le Navigator is great, very romantic setting. It is a la carte but for a bit extra you can choose from a better menu, or a sea food dinner which was expensive and not cooked as well as we have it at home in South Africa. It lacked flavour.
The staff are all wonderfull, very friendly and helpfull. I had read on this site about the beach vendors and I must say I was not looking forward to being hassled on the beach all the time, but although there are a lot of them if you say a very firm no thank you they leave you alone, and if we fell asleep on the beach or even put your cap over your face, they did not disturb you.
I did buy a pair of aqua shoes as it is difficult to go in the sea without them as your feet get sore from the coral, but the sea is beautiful, and the glass bottom boat a must, the sea life is amazing. The pool and hotel gardens are lovely although a heated pool would have been better as the pool water is quite cold. La Mauricia, a sister hotel in Grand Baie has a heated pool but the hotel, location, staff, food etc cannot compare to Le Canonnier. I would highly recommend the couples massage at the lovely wellness centre built in an old tree, and a catamaran cruise on the ocean, both were well worth the money spent on them. We would definatly go back to Le Canonnier, but do remember it is 4 star, not 5 star so dont go there expecting the best hotel in the world and you wont be dissapointed. Paying in South African Rand this hotel was in our price range and gave us good value for money.. Take extra protection from mosquitos and keep the air con on the prevent that "damp" feeling, you are after all on a tropical island!
The sunsets are awesome, so take a cocktail down to the beach and enjoy!"

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of September 2006

Wedding at Le Canonnier

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"We have just returned from our wedding and honeymoon at Le Canonnier and we had the most amazing time. The hotel is beautiful and the staff so friendly and obliging, nothing is a problem especially as we were in a group of 16.
We had a lovely superior sea facing room with a great view on the club med side. The room was really spacious with big bathroom and separate shower and bath and 2 sinks. there were numerous 3 pin and 2 pin sockets and the mini bar was stocked every day, with local beer, soft drinks and snacks.
The restaurant had a different themed buffet every night and we didn't have a bad meal, there was so much choice - lethal if you are on a diet! All inclusive was fabulous.
The pool was cold but once you were in it was ok, and the sea was warm for snorkeling etc. We wore swimming shoes on the beach as the sea bed is quite rocky and there are coral fragments, but it wasn't a problem.
The grounds are beautiful with flowers everywhere and little waterfalls, very tropical but in a relaxed way.
We really enjoyed our stay and wedding and we are definitely returning to this hotel in the future, and would recommend it to anyone."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of September 2006

Highly recommend

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We heartily agree with your reviewer from Liverpool and think we must have been at Le Cannonier at the same time. We thought the staff at the hotel were amongst the friendliest we had ever encountered. Really lovely people, always happy to help and one or two great characters such as Chan at the Towels and Suraj who helped us to fix up some great trips. We enjoyed snorkelling diving and the under water walk, plus a catamaran trip to Flat Island ( sea was a bit rough for me that day).
The main beach is a bit cramped and so we preferred the side closer to Club Med. We snorkelled there and saw many species of fish. Incidently the Club Med beach and Mon Choisy next door to it are beautiful. Mon Choisy is a public beach and all beaches in Mauritius are accessible to the general public.
We also spent a few days at Troix aux Biches which I have reviewed elsewhere. Whilst evening entertainment wasn't very important to us, we thought the Cannonier band were much better than the one at Tab. For friendliness, le Cannonier is hard to beat."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of September 2006

Nice hotel,nice location,nice people

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"We have just returned fron 13 nights in Maurtius (6 nights at the Dinarobin resort and 7 nights at Le Cannonier) This review is for Le Cannonier.

Plus points - location very good, gardens lovely, beach fine (two sandy ,one slightly rocky) lagoon excellent I would rate it one of the best on the Island. Watersports excellent (diving and fishing commented on below). Staff very friendly and helpful.

Pool is nice and deep and not too cold (the sea is warmer and the lagoon is a beautiful aquamarine).

Minus points - food is plentiful but can be a bit samey. However the Navigator restaurant does a very good a la carte at about £10 - £15 per person and there are some very good resteraunts in Grand Baie we had a very good night at Le Cafe du Plage . TV is principally in French with the addition of CNN so at night don't expect to retire early and watch a good film unless you have a good grasp of French.

Le Cannonier is positioned as a family holiday by Beachcomber and it lives up to the mark. We went as a party of 8, My wife and I wth our three grown up boys plus a girlfriend and our two young daughters (8 and 11). The standard is 4 star and good value for money. It does not have quite the cache of some of Beachcombers flagship hotels like the Dinarobin but it is catering for a slightly livelier and younger group. I would be suprised if anyone was disappointed with the standard, location or the friendliness of the staff.

If you want to go fishing you can go with one of the big game boats 14,000M rupees for a half day 7 a.m to 1p.m. ( we went out twice with the big boats) or speak to the towel attendant called 'Chan' by the pool. He will hook you up with a friend of his who is a local fisherman called Steve. Steve charges 4,500 M rupees for a half day and you may have a much more successful trip.

As well as trolling ,Steve live baits from buoys with small bait fish in a unique way, and for us was very much more successful than the big operators. We only caught bonito (skip jack tuna) with the big boats, but as well as bonito we caught Dorado, Yellow Fin Tuna and Rainbow Runner with Steve. His boat is a circa 20 ft open boat and he has lifejackets, GPS and flares etc and I felt very safe with him even though we were 5 miles out in the Indian ocean. I have fished on three separate trips in Mauritius and I have caught big Marlin, but fishing with Steve was probably the most satisfying experience. We went out three times with Steve and loved every minute of it.

August is not a good time for fishing in Maurtian waters for big game (marlin,wahoo etc) but Steve assures me that in season Nov- Feb, he has caught big Marlin from his small open boat (circa 20ft in length displacement boat powered by two small 15 hp engines). That is something I want to experience!

The Boathouse is run by a separate company than Beachcomber but is well run and professional. I did not book fishing with them as they did not run the fishing themeselves and were only going to put me in touch with another company who appeared to be more expensive than going direct with Sportsfisher in Grand Baie, details from google, or Steve (contact Chan the Beachcomber pool/towel guy)

However we did organise diving with the Boathouse.

My wife and everyone else other than my youngest daughter went diving with the dive centre. My two oldest boys who are qualified divers thought the dive school was very professional and loved the diving and especially the wreck dive. They had three dives in the 7 days and wished they had hooked up for more."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of August 2006

Brilliant for teenagers

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"I think this is a really good family hotel. My 14 & 16 year olds had a wonderful time, spending most of their time waterskiing, diving and boating generally and hung out with kids from Norway, Germany, Denmark, France and UK.

We had a family apartment which was very spacious - a king in one bedroom with ensuite bath & shower and two singles in the other, with an ensuite shower.. Huge terrace overlooking a garden - though not much of a view. I had a look at some of the other rooms, which appeared small and I would find out the location before booking if you're taking standard or superior rooms, some near the restaurants smelled of food.

We were on an All Inclusive which with teenagers probably saved us money and hassle from the kids constantly asking for money. The food was fine and abundunt - we weren't expecting gourmet! There's two restaurants, the main one which is buffet -changed daily,some days better than others but you could always find something you liked. The Navigator restaurant has lovely views to the sea, lunch menu was salads, burgers, pastas etc and a very small menu at dinner for AI. We went to one of the Lobster evenings, which was superb, tho' expensive (an extra £40 per person). Breakfast was fantastic and you can spend the whole day eating if you want! I wouldn't recommend the afternoon pancakes - they always arrived cold and weren't very nice.

The reef is very close to the hotel and therefore the beaches do have coral on them - but not bad. I went barefoot the whole time and had no problems. We had a look at the Muricia - a sister hotel and the beach and views across the bay weren't as nice as the Canonnier. Hawkers ARE a problem, however if you just say no thank you or ignore them, they won't bother you. However, I did see lots of people negotiating for T.shirts etc.,

Watersports were superb. The kids spent their days waterskiing, boating and diving. There's a PADI diving school and I would recommend them. We also did parasending.

There was entertainment in the evenings (some good, some awful) and the Navigator restaurant had dancing after 11pm and stayed open as late as there were people dancing. The kids hung out around the pool tables, The Navigagtor and on the beach in the evenings. Older kids also went into Grand Baie for the nightclub.

Grand Baie had great shopping - Mauritius makes clothes for export including Next, Gap, Rip Curl, Bilabong etc., and you'll find excellent quality clothes in the shops for about a third of the price in the UK.

The Mauritians are helpful and kind people and the staff were lovely, they remembered our names and room number after a few days. Our rooms were clean and when we asked for extra towels etc they were delivered promptly.

If you have teenagers I would recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of August 2006

A disappointing stay at Le Canonnier

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"We just got back from spending two weeks in Mauritius. We were in Le Canonnier for 8 days and then we moved to Le Paradis Hotel and Golf Club for 6 days. I have to say that we were somewhat disappointed with the hotel. After reading the recent reviews, we expected more. We were disappointed by the beach; if you're expecting a soft, sandy beach then I recommend you choose another hotel. The beach at Le Canonnier is very pebbly and covered with small sharp corals. Fortunately we brought our aqua shoes so we could walk on the beach and go for a swim without getting our feet poked by sharp objects on the beach. And with the constant flow of hawkers (vendors) trolling up and down the beach trying to get you to buy their pashminas, wraps, necklaces etc, it was difficult to just laze on the beach chair and spend some quiet time reading a book or taking a snooze.

The hotel room is ok and we had an ocean view (nothing to shout about!). The food offered at Le Navigator and Le Frangipanier leaves much to be desired - even though the main restaurant offered themed nights which changes daily (e.g. tropical buffet, Asian buffet, Mauritian buffet etc), it all tastes the same. The a la carte menu offered at Le Navigator was ok. After our fourth day, we got so sick of the food and ventured out to Grand Baie and Port Louis for lunch and dinner. Fortunately we were on "half-board" so didn't lose out so much.

As Le Canonnier was overbooked, the front desk staff were encouraging guests to move to other beachcombers hotel. We jumped to the opportunity to get out of Le Canonnier and spend 6 days at Le Paradis Hotel and Golf Club and we did not regret our decision for a minute.

The beach at Le Paradis is much, much better…soft sandy beach and less rocky. The rooms are much better (all rooms have ocean view) and the food offered at their four restaurants are excellent. One of the restaurants, La Ravanne is located on a quite part of the beach and you can only get there by board. It was lovely having dinner there, with our feet buried in the sand. Of course, Le Canonnier is a four star hotel and Le Paradis is five star and the difference is apparent. We will not go back to Le Canonnier but would definitely return to Le Paradis."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of August 2006

Wonderful Honeymoon

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"We have just returned from a fabulous fortnight in Le Canonnier.
After reading most of the reviews, I agree with all the recent ones and would definitely recommend this hotel.
I have attached some photos for you to see for yourself.
The room was large and clean, the food was good, the scenery wonderful and the staff very helpful.
There were a few downsides, but nothing which is of great significance, i.e. the pool was very cold so we didn't use it much, but it is their winter now, also the many hawkers on the beach which constantly want to sell you something, sometimes up to half a dozen one after the other, but eventually they got the hint we were on the beach to relax, not shop. However, they were all very friendly and if you wanted to buy they would go out of their way to provide what you were looking for.
If you don't like birds, this isn't the place for you as they are around the restaurants and the bar. They are very tame and even take food from your hand. I found it quite endearing, but others thought it very unhygienic.
The majority of guests are French, with a few from South Africa,Italiy, Germany and very few from the UK.
We don't have small children but it seemed great for kids, although there may be a language problem as all staff speak French, although they can converse in English also.
The beaches were okay, but a little gritty and you will need shoes to venture into the sea as it's very rocky. However a short walk took you to a paradise beach (see photo). The water was very shallow and a beautiful torquoise.
The corridors were a little drab but everything else was very nice. The gardens were beautiful and very well tended.
Information on activities maybe could have been a little better.
We usually stay in 4/5 star hotels and I would rate Le Cannonier as an excellent 3 star with 4 star potential. We wouldn't go back to this particular hotel but only because we'd prefer a wider variety of restaurants, something a little closer to a local town so we could walk into it in the evening and we'd prefer less children! However we are definitely going to return to Mauritius, it is beautiful.
Have a wonderful time, there is absolutely no reason not to!!"

• Travel date: Tue 18th of July 2006

Hotels near Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Top traveller tips for Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

• MikeyB by MikeyB

"Go to Le Mauritia for a day to swim in the sea...... Easy access and few rocks!!! Have a massage in the wellness centre/tree! "

Canonnier Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa is also called