Other

Good
1923 reviews

Beach Heaven!

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"The Resort is placed on one of the best beaches of Mauritius. The hotel is a not-luxury 4 stars with some old furnitures but working. I found the rooms very large and clean. Nautical activities were all wonderful as the boys that organize it. Meals were fine, particularly Indian food and fish dishes, even though in others resort I have found greater variety. A negative note regarding the restaurant is the constant presence of birds that put down everywhere."

• Travel date: 18th November 2005

We loved it!!!!

Reviewed 12th October 2012

"Well i'm suprised to read negative reviews about the Berjaya, we found the staff very helpfull and couldn't do enought for us. The bars and bar stock were excellent and the buffet style main menu was not repeated once in our two week stay. The rooms was clean, however it was cleaned every day and clean towels twice a day! It is a bit remote from the rest of the island so those wishing to do a lot of touring the isand will find the traveling to and from resort a bit much but well worth it. The weather was a bit on/off but hey it was the end of their winter! Lovley hotel great staff and plenty to do on site, i've been to some lovley hotels and there is nothing wrong with the Berjaya, Tell Stefania at the pool bar her English is excellent and listen to her recommedations for the cocktails!!!! (oh and they are in the all inclusive!!)"

• Travel date: 6th October 2005

Only if....

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"When you look around this hotel everything seems prefect. Nice location (though a bit far from all sight seeing or activity centres), excellent rooms, nice built cottages and good food. However, what Berjaya seriously lacks is the sense of hospitatily. Seems like the management forgot to tell their staff to maintain a certain civility. Most of the times the reception people appeared rude. Our request for a sea facing chalet was frankly dismissed as soon as we checked in. Also though our voucher metioned "honeymoon couple" we had to repeatedly ask for the "honeymoon benefits" like sparkling wine etc. which we got only on the last day. We also got a few snide remarks for free!!! Despite the intimation to the hotel staff that we would check in late, there was no arrangement for dinner. We were asked whether we wanted dinner, and when we said we'd appreciate it, they sent us cole slaw instead, citing a closed kitchen at that hour. I wonder why they asked us (and charged us too!!) for dinner if the kitchen was closed. Similarly, the people at the reception refused to respond with even a "Happy Brithday" when informed of my husband's birthday during the stay there. When checking out the internet room we were rudely asked to go and register first with retorts of - "You have to pay you know?" Similar other instances come to mind. Seemed like only a white skin (we're Asian Indians) would have saved us the embarassment of such a rude staff. Its a nice place to go to if you can avoid dealing with the reception staff. The property is amazing and the boathouse offering facilities like glass bottom boat, water ski etc is the best i have ever exprienced. Only if the staff was a little better behaved we would have called it "repeat material"."

• Travel date: 10th September 2005

What a disappointment!

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Berjaya Hotel in November, 2004, and were certainly not impresed. The room and bath needed decorating badly, although the balcony and view were lovely. The beach was so rocky we had to buy sand shoes to swim so we stayed by the pool most of the time. Furthermore, there are umpteen locals peddling the usual t-shirts on the beach and they actually took their breaks on the hotel guest chairs. When I complained to security (who did nothing about the problem), another guest verbally abused me. The food is quite boring after a few days but at least I didn't get an upset tum from it. The staff are not that helpful. As a holiday destination, I would not recommend Mauritius as it is a long way to go (12 hours by plane), expensive, and you can see the whole island in a day, so a bit boring. The best way to tour is by private taxi rather than excursion as they string out a one day trip into several. Upon returning, I discussed these points with my travel agent and he said that he was aware that the Berjaya had gone down in recent years. I don't see how they can call themselves a 4-star hotel. I would give it 3 stars maximum."

• Travel date: 5th September 2005

Honeymoon Paradise

Reviewed 15th October 2012

"We stayed in this hotel for our 2 week honeymoon and found it to be 2 weeks of pardise. The rooms were very nice and spacious with all the mod cons you could want including air con very large bathroom inc shower and the room had a lovely view of the beach and sea, you can literally walk straight from your room onto the beach. We stayed fully inclusive and found all the meals very nice with a very wide choice for every meal, also the drinks were mostly incuded in the deal (local beer,gin,run,whiskey and several geogeous cocktails). The beach was beautiful with some stunning sunsets and the sea was lovely and clear with lots of exotic fish for some great snorkeling. Overall i don't think you will find a much nicer plce to stay."

• Travel date: 18th April 2005

Wonderful holiday

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Have just returned from a holiday at this super hotel (6th - 14th April 05) and had a wonderful time. The hotel is beautifully situated - right on a coral sand beach with the breathtaking site of 'Le Morne' -a high rocky outcrop - as a stunning background. The whole location is like something from a film set. The hotel has a large swimming pool with views out to the Indian Ocean and the hotel grounds are well tended and dotted with coconut palms and large, exotic flowers. Butterflies and colourful birds flit past as you walk amongst the blossoms. The food was buffet style and excellent with a wide variety of choice at every meal, and the staff couldn't have been friendlier or more efficient. I went on a half board basis and was worried about the drinks/snacks bill at the end of our stay (no money was exchanged at the time of purchase, but everything was signed for and the room total was presented at checkout). I needn't have worried. A coke was about £1.20, house wine about £1.50 a glass and a beer (try the excellent Blue Marlin (6% alcohol) and the slightly less alcoholic Phoenix (5%) both made on the island) cost around £1.60. Not bad for hotel prices - especially as the area is quite isolated and going elsewhere for a drink wouldn't be easy. Our room - like most of the other 'bungalows' which make up the accommodation at this hotel had an ocean view which was wonderful to wake up to in the morning and was well equipped. I wish I was still there."

• Travel date: 16th April 2005

Palm Paradise

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"I read the reviews on Bejaya Le Morne before my half board holiday in Dec 2004. I was startled to read that a bottle of beer (Lager) cost £6.. However, this is incorrect. It was 85 rupees plus 15% vat which equates to £1.80. Cocktails run from £2.70 - £4.50. The staff are enthusiastic and do their best to entertain you, however there is a sense of inexperience, but they are very friendly and helpful. Our room was satisfactory and was certainly cleaned very well every day. Most of the food during the evening buffet was enjoyable. The pool is shallow and never crowded. The beaches are never crowded. At times it all feels like it soley belongs to you. Quite lovely. 90% of the guests are couples, therefore I wouldn't highly recommend it for people travelling alone, although we did meet two people staying there alone and they seemed very content with it all. Beware of the sun! It's very powerful and the frequent breeze gives you a false sense of coolness. After only 20 mins I was cooking. After evening dinner then the boredom sets in. The entertainment was always a dancing group and although some were very good it becomes tedious. Unfortunately you have a good hour's drive for any entertainment away from the hotel. Ladies, visit the market every Monday in Mahebourg..... Bargains galore... Footwear, Cotton tops, underwear etc. There is also a daily market in Port Loius. I would recommend a visit to the Tea Plantation (Bois Cheri) which houses a very interesting museum and you also have a guided tour around the factory. Mauritius itself is very fertile and scenic, however be prepared to see how the majority of Mauritians really live.......... It can be thought provoking and pricks the old social conscience. I wouldn't personally return to the island and I have learned that the confinement of a resort holiday is not for me. However you couldn't top that gorgeous beach and lagoon. So, if you are a person who loves the beach, couldn't care less about hotel entertainment and enjoys mixing with the guests and staff then this is the place for you. The hotel oozed friendliness and one felt very relaxed and comfortable during the stay."

• Travel date: 26th December 2004

Tropical paradise - amazing view

Reviewed 1st March 2013

"Perfect location, great hotel. Enjoy!"

• Travel date: 19th November 2004

Perfect honeymoon destination

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"This hotel was the perfect destination for our honeymoon, and was exactly what we wanted it to be. The buffet food at lunch time was sometimes a little disappointing, however, there is alsways an alternative in the grill bar. Food at breakfast and dinner was excellent every night. Throughout the whole fortnight, it never failed to "wow" me, the display of the outdoor buffet selection in the evenings. The oriental pearl, however, was a solid favourite for me! We found all the staff to be excellent. They were all so helpful and always wanting to chat! We own a pub in England and were seriously thinking of poaching some of the waiters!!! The rooms have everything in that one could need and to me that is all that is important. They are not as luxurious as I thought they might be, but they were spotlessly clean and completely adequate. It all adds to the culture! The destination itself is stunning, although the mountains around Le Morne seemed to bring with them the clouds. Our visit was in October and much of the holiday was overcast on the SouthWest peninsula. We hired a car and travelled around the whole island in a couple of days and can honestly say that Berjaya is one of the best looking hotels on the island, and I would definitely reccommend it to others. One thing to watch out for - on all inclusive - there is only a small number of drinks that are inlcluded - all soft drinks, house vodka, rum, whiskey, gin and a few others and the house wine, which is awful!!! The buffet lunch is also a bit of a let down, especially when compared to the evening meals. We did find that we didn't really take advantage of the all-inclusive option and had a bigger bar bill at the end than we would have hoped. And watch out - the tea and coffee in the rooms is not free!!! The only other thing I think that some people would want to know, is that the restaurant is open plan; some is undercover and some is not so if you would hate birds flying round you and landing on your table during your meals, this is maybe not the place for you to take your holiday. It didn't bother me, but I know my mum would have checked out of the hotel on the first day! Despite this, we had a fantastic holiday, the best we've ever had in fact, and I would definitely reccommend to others. The hotel is stunning as well as its setting, and there are also lots of activities on offer should sun worshipping not be your thing. My husband spent most of our 18 day holiday taking up the water sports that the hotel offers; water skiing, scuba diving (do it; great instructors and great exsperience), sailing, donuting etc."

• Travel date: 9th November 2004

buffet every day

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Firstly I must say that the location of this hotel is gorgeous. The beach is lovely and the lagoon with the huge waves breaking onto the reef out to sea is breathtaking. The imposing rock of Le Morne is a stunning backdrop and the hotel is close to the mountainous region of the Black River gorges, which is a truly beautiful part of the island. The staff here are all very friendly and will do their best to help, but you can’t help but feel that they lack training and the whole experience feels a little provincial and this is true of the whole complex. Accommodation is good and functional rather than luxurious and all the facilities on site can be rated the same. The hotel is clean and tidy but needs a spruce up and a bit of a facelift to make you feel that you are staying in a top resort. There are only really 2 restaurants and one bar at the hotel (the pool bar and le caze pub don’t really count) and this can leave you fairly limited on what to do in the evenings. After you have watched the cabaret band for a couple of nights you have pretty much got the idea and the casino can become expensive. The restaurants include the La Cascade for buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner and a low quality Chinese ‘a la carte’. Although the buffet has a different theme night every day the variety is limited and I swear I had basically the same meal 8 nights in a row. If you take the half board option then be prepared to pay around £6.00 per single spirit and mixer and the same for a bottled beer (not a pint). Food is also very expensive if you are not all inclusive. It sounds like I am very down on this hotel but we actually had a good time here so don’t be completely put off. The official travel advisor rating is 3 stars but I would give it 3 ½. If you do stay here you shouldn’t be disappointed. However I did hear some very good things about Les Pavilions next door so if you have the necessary resources it may be worth a look…"

• Travel date: 30th September 2004